Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Moves made around the deadline:
Ottawa Senators acquire
Date
Vancouver Canucks acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Travis Hamonic
March 20, 2022​
2022 3rd round pick
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Date
Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Travis Dermott
March 20, 2022​
2022 3rd round pick
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Date
New York Rangers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Tyler Motte
March 21, 2022​
2022 4th round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Was it a sexy deadline? Was it an exciting deadline? No. But it's the beginning of what is hopefully a roster overhaul by the start of next season.
Also idk why everyones upset about Richardson. Guy's contract is only until the end of the season and someone reliable had to replace Motte.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The Hamonic move was great for moving out cap space and getting something in return. Was very happy with this move and give the trade a B+.

I'm not a huge fan of the Dermott trade but he might have some untapped potential and gives us depth on the left side past Hunt. Solid enough. B-

The Motte trade was quite underwhelming but I suppose that's the market value. C

Overall, I'd say it's probably around a C+/B-.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
It's got to be a big fat F in spite of the Hamonic dump. We're clearly not competing for the playoffs anymore, yet we didn't actually sell assets that would command a good price to prepare for future season. Allvin needed to start undoing the damage from Benning's years ASAP and he hasn't done that to a meaningful degree. Instead, he'll probably be looking to trade from a position of weakness in the off-season.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Don't see how it can be viewed as anything more than an average deadline, so C.

Moving out salary is huge so that we can absorb Halak's bonus this season and not have it carry over (edit: LOL MAYBE NOT). The return for Motte is underwhelming but in line with other rental acquisitions. Dermott is a nice gamble given the "speed and skill" philosophy.

If we find out more about the deadline from leaks about things they could've done but waited too long on (i.e. Tampa/Nick Paul), it might go down to a D.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Was it a sexy deadline? Was it an exciting deadline? No. But it's the beginning of what is hopefully a roster overhaul by the start of next season.
Also idk why everyones upset about Richardson. Guy's contract is only until the end of the season and someone reliable had to replace Motte.

Oh... Guess I could add the Richardson waiver claim, but it would break my table thingie. So... there.... is that....

Reactions: Ginger Papa

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't see how it can be viewed as anything more than an average deadline, so C.

Moving out salary is huge so that we can absorb Halak's bonus this season and not have it carry over. The return for Motte is underwhelming but in line with other rental acquisitions. Dermott is a nice gamble given the "speed and skill" philosophy.

If we find out more about the deadline from leaks about things they could've done but waited too long on (i.e. Tampa/Nick Paul), it might go down to a D.

As far as I know they didnt manage that.

PROJECTED LTIR USED : $5,068,817

They are way too deep in LTIR.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's got to be a big fat F in spite of the Hamonic dump. We're clearly not competing for the playoffs anymore, yet we didn't actually sell assets that would command a good price to prepare for future season. Allvin needed to start undoing the damage from Benning's years ASAP and he hasn't done that to a meaningful degree. Instead, he'll probably be looking to trade from a position of weakness in the off-season.
The market isn't looking so great right now. Who's to say that waiting until summer, when more teams have the space and capital to make moves, might not improve the returns? I still think there are major moves to come.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an outsider I think of all the "trade" rumours that Vancouver was linked 2 over the past few months.

Curious to why none of rumoured players were traded(sans Motte). I am in the camp they were "planted" rumours in an attempt to start a bidding war. But that is just me. It is straight out of the Glen Sather trade book

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I give them a C over all however that grade would have been higher if not for the moves they didn't make. I think they over played their hand and lost out on making a significant deal earlier. Oh well maybe we value our guys more than everyone else does. Hopefully the off season is where we see some movement because this team needs help.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I gave them a C, not great, not terrible. Fine with the Dermott deal, if the newly hired scouts and analytics department loves the guy, then why not. Would love to see if the newly hired guys are actually good and paying a 3rd to test that is not a bad idea.

I think this just shows how hard it is to move the bunch of Benning crap off this roster.

Hopefully the market is better in the off-season. I fully expect 2 of Miller/Horvat/Garland/Borser to be moved. I would like to believe the rumors of them trying to move Pearson as true and that will happen in the off-season and maybe Myers will be gone too.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Hamonic for 3rd: A++++ (f***ing unbelievable we managed to dump that contract with an asset coming BACK)

3rd for Dermott: B (I like Dermott, probably could've squeezed for a bit more)

Motte for 4th: B- (better than losing him for free. Underwhelming return, but after the Appleton trade, it seems about right)

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
C nothing disastrous but nothing ground breaking. Did not set the tone for the future but made a tiny step in correcting some cap problems.

No additional picks for this year's draft absolutely sucks but having an additional pick for next years supposedly deep draft is good. I’d bet dollars to donuts that extra 4th in ‘23 is traded before that draft.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I gave them a C. Probably deserve worse - more mediocrity to end the season, something fans are clearly tired of.

Acquiring Dermott and Richardson were needless and could have been filled internally. I don't dislike Dermott and will give the kid a chance but you wonder what that means for Rathbone.

Pearson should have been dealt.

I would have loved to see us acquire at least one good prospect.

That all said, I do understand that management will want to see how the team finishes off the season and doesn't want to write them off, but they should have stuck with their original assessment to retool the team and made moves sooner.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
C+ for a passing grade but nothing special. They offloaded their pending UFA (Motte) and moved off an expensive veteran (Hamonic). The fact they didn't have to retain on Hamonic upgrades Allvin from a C to a C+

That said, a passing grade is a vast improvement from the previous regime, so there's that.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I give it one Weisbrod.

If they shit the bed at the Draft, they get an additional Benning.

Thankfully they are still 8 Benning’s short of the last regime for shitting the bed

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That all said, I do understand that management will want to see how the team finishes off the season and doesn't want to write them off, but they should have stuck with their original assessment to retool the team and made moves sooner.

Honestly, I hate this.

I don't think we are any closer to winning the cup today then we were 2 days ago.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Positives:
Keeping Schenn
Moving Hamonic for a 3rd

Neutral:
Acquiring Dermott for a 3rd
Picking up Richardson on waivers

Negatives:
Dealing Motte for only a 4th
Only shedding $1.5 million in cap space
Not getting a single useful pick or prospect

Hard to give a good grade when management has basically done nothing of importance since taking over the team. This is still Benning's team.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I gave it a D, trades made were very low key and borderline useless. At least we didn't bring in any overhyped UFAs nor did we give up any assets.

What's more alarming is that our management either don't know or still on the fence about where the team is going. With Miller's contractual status this is not a good sign, if you want to keep Miller, you need to get the team ready for an actual cup run in a year. This may persuade him to stay for a reasonable contract, then you're looking at maybe another 2 years max before Miller starts to decline.

Reactions: Snatcher Demko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad