Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Glad more for what they didn’t do. Didn’t move players for low return value just to clear lots of cap space. It’s a process that will happen over time not an event.

Motte for a 4th is underwhelming but ok. They weren’t going to resign him.

Flipping Hamonic for Dermott was an astute move. Frees up cap space and a better, younger player comes in.

My main takeaway is that Canuck fans continue to overvalue assets and believe winning trades is easy to do.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I mean, they tried making deals but either didn't like the prices or had their hands tied.

They tried moving Boeser for Marino but Pens said no.

There were lots of discussions about Pearson, but he has a full NTC.

They were talking to LA about Garland, but LA completely lowballed on us.

They talked to NY and TOR about Miller, but TOR refused to include Sandin, and NY probably refused to include Schneider.

They tried to trade Halak, but the guy sucks and there's no market for him.

It's pretty clear management knows pretty damn well which direction they want to go, but they also know that they don't have to make these trades today and they can hold out to the draft.

They wouldn't be in talks with a divisional rival we're trying to catch about Garland if they weren't all in on punting this season.

I did not know what was going on behind the scenes, if this is true, then they knew their direction but they couldn't execute.

Either way, result talks loudest. If they think they can afford to lay low this TDL they better to ready to move a mountain in the offseason, because if they don't, Miller's situation will become too critical to be handled with care and consideration.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Given that it seems like other teams were not offering us good value on the players who are under team control through next year, I'm not actually sure we were tee'd up to have an "A" grade deadline without a lot of things breaking our way.

We only had one UFA of note without full trade protection and we traded him—a nice change from not getting any value on UFA's on the way out the door.

I'm glad we didn't hand out another multi-year deal on a luxury bottom-6 forward in Motte.

We had two players who many would love to move on from in Pearson and Myers who had trade protection. Halak had a NMC. Dickinson and Poolman have no value due to the length of their contracts.

Getting away from Hamonic without retention, while getting a top 75 pick was a total coup. I don't mind the Dermott deal, even if it would have been nice to get a slightly better bargain due to Toronto's need to clear cap. We got paid market value for what the rest of the league perceives as a 4th liner—turns out they don't think as highly as our fanbase who were blown away by a bottom 6 forward who was giving his all every shift and doing a great job for less than 3MM.

Overall grade is a "C". Obviously was hoping for more roster movement, but they are definitely lined up for a crucial offseason.

kyru

Oct 19, 2017
Seems like they did the minimum that they had to here. Which is fine for now if they have plans to make other changes in the offseason. Pleasantly surprised with them getting rid of Hamonic without retention or a sweetener at least.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
For reference, here's what an "A" deadline looks like (on the Sell side), but Anaheim got extremely lucky having 4 UFAs that had significant value around the league and was clearly out of the playoff picture and entering the new Zegras + Drysdale era of the franchise.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
For reference, here's what an "A" deadline looks like, but Anaheim got extremely lucky having 4 UFAs that had significant value around the league and was clearly out of the playoff picture and entering the new Zegras + Drysdale era of the franchise.

We once had Hamhuis, Pearson , Leivo and could have had Roussel as UFAs at the TDL

Closest comparable we have now around the same ball park is Boeser who’s having an underwhelming season for his QO, we did try to trade him for Marino but that didn’t work out

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
D+/C-. Gave them the benefit of the doubt and put it as C since the rumoured offerings for our players were terrible. If Dermott flops and Motte signs a reasonable contract extension then I would convert the grade to an F. It's nice to free up Hamonic's cap, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa flip him for more next year when his deal is expiring and he can redeem himself a bit in a non pandemic (hopefully) season.

I'm very disappointed to not have done anything significant. We probably miss the playoffs, end up with 12th overall and still have an exhorbitant amount of dead cap that we have to figure out what to do with in summer.

And Miller's value is now 2/3 what it was yesterday at best.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
a rock solid D or C-

Not buying the Dermott pickup. Hammer deal was nice. Motte was meh.

Bump it up to a C+ if we're grading based on the stupid "at least it's not as bad as Benning" curve. But I'm against setting the bar that low.

Reactions: Tact

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It's got to be a big fat F in spite of the Hamonic dump. We're clearly not competing for the playoffs anymore, yet we didn't actually sell assets that would command a good price to prepare for future season. Allvin needed to start undoing the damage from Benning's years ASAP and he hasn't done that to a meaningful degree. Instead, he'll probably be looking to trade from a position of weakness in the off-season.

I see your point but will wait till the off-season to let this play out; if it turns out that there just weren't good offers for our good assets (Boeser/Miller) and they're able to get better deals when more teams are in play with ability to move cap, along with the team getting better clarity around re-signing potential, then this could be the right move to wait till the market is better. As long as we move one of Boeser / Miller for good-great value (especially if it's a good, young RHD) then it'll be a win, if we can move Myers as well and not take on any boat anchors of contracts then it'll be a home run.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Remember that Twitter guy Ry saying what an amazing front office The Canucks have now? Even before doing one single thing?
You cannot criticize this new diverse management group!

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I voted a C, at the end of the day its the same old team with the same old results. Would of been happy if Motte received a greater pick.

Ohwell, I shouldn't get excited about this day anymore. I just was excited to see what Allvin would do.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Hamonic for a 3rd was huge! Can’t believe we didn’t have to retain.

Dermott is ok… tbd.

Motte for 4th is meh, would’ve liked a 3rd but thats the best we could get. So better than losing him for zip!

Sometimes it’s the moves you don’t make… like schenn/ garland. Feel like we would’ve been upset by those returns. So glad to just keep them.

I voted a “C”…

Last edited:
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yesterday I would have given them a B.
After seeing the Motte deal, it's a C

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This was a solid C deadline for us. Looking at the moves that did happen shows that the kinds of trades we wanted to make just weren't happening. We don't have a Toffoli, Hagel, Lindholm, Giordano, or Giroux to trade and those were the only big deals that went down. I'm not even convinced that the Hagel trade was that good for Chicago. The flat cap made any moves we would have liked to make impossible or unpalatable for the types of teams we'd have wanted to trade with. So we move on to the next date where trades can be made, the draft, where the kinds of trades we're looking to make are more possible.

I'd hoped that perhaps one of the trades the sports news talking heads were trying to hype would come to pass but the cap era TDL is rarely the fireworks show we'd like it to be.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I give it a B, mostly because I think moving on from Hamonic is huge, a bigger deal than most are making it out to be.
Liked the flyer on Dermott.

Not really mad they didn't move one of the bigger ticket guys. There were basically 3 players with term moved at this deadline: Toffoli, Hagel, and Hamonic. Given that context, Allvin did well. A lot of teams loaded up at this deadline, some are inevitably going to crash out in round one and be looking to majorly upgrade in the summer, so in that sense keeping Miller/Garland/Boeser around is a good idea.

Don't see the point of claiming Richardson. Maybe if Pettersson's about to be out long-term...but still. I want to see Spencer Martin, Will Lockwood, Sheldon Dries, Jack Rathbone and Phil Di Giuseppe get major minutes down the stretch. I want to see Hughes and OEL get extended stretches at playing on the right side, just to see what we have there.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They get a C grade from me and I feel like I'm being generous. I'm in the camp that believes they should have moved Boeser. That for me is a massive missed opportunity. The team didn't do enough for the path forward, in my opinion.

Reactions: geebaan and MS

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
again more lies and twisting things around from you, that's not at all what fans wanted.
Then what do you want them to do with major pieces this TDL exactly? Sounds like you were convinced that fair offers were available and that they just didn’t execute, what’s your source ??

Reactions: Zippgunn

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What did people who are grading this worse than a C actually expect to happen? Was Allvin supposed to mind control another GM into giving them the package the sports news talking heads and Twitter 'experts' have been hyping us up with? It takes two to trade and both sides have to like the other side's offer in order for a deal to get done. At the draft, we still have all the same big names available to trade with the upside of having trade partners that will have more cap space and more stomach to take on cap than they did at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad