Post-Game Talk: What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

What grade you give the Canucks TDL moves?

• Total voters

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I did not know what was going on behind the scenes, if this is true, then they knew their direction but they couldn't execute.

Either way, result talks loudest. If they think they can afford to lay low this TDL they better to ready to move a mountain in the offseason, because if they don't, Miller's situation will become too critical to be handled with care and consideration.

Ya if that's the case, they should have tried to resolve the Motte situation sooner IMO. But I am also assuming that Motte could have been traded for a higher price if the decision to trade him was made more quickly. Seems like they were still trying to negotiate an extension with Motte down to the wire.

Anyhow, the bigger deals I don't fault management for. They can be difficult to pull off at the deadline. Definitely don't want them selling low on players.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
After reflecting on the situation, I will give this TDL a C-. It was definitely underwhelming, especially all the talk for months about the importance of gaining cap space, how the team is too slow, and floating almost every name out there, only to essentially getting nothing done is quite disappointing. On the other hand, it was probably not realistic to expect any GM to be able to get rid of any of those toxic contracts like Poolman/Dickinson/Myers/OEL/etc, Boeser is clearly not highly sought after and Garland/Miller is apparently getting lowballed on. In that sense it is better to make no significant moves.
A for the Hamonic trade, D for getting so little for Motte. I'm personally not a fan of the Dermott trade, it seems very much a page from the Benning play-book (trading a pick for a "once highly regarded but is now 20ish trending down" type of player, like Vey/Baertschi/Pouliot/Pedan/etc). I guess if we do that enough we can get our next buy-low superstar like Naslund? In the meantime just feels like a missed opportunity to stock up the prospect pool with an extra pick. I guess Richardson is only here to fill out the bottom 6 and maybe move Petan back down to the minors? At this stage of his career he is just a warm body.
I'm not going to get hyped up on draft trades after falling for the hype for the TDL, its the same group of managers dealing with the same group of assets. If they weren't able to get much done during the "arms race", then why should they get anything done when picks/prospects are the most valued at the draft/offseason?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yahoo Sports has firmly graded the Canucks as one of the league's 'losers' at the trade deadline. Their complaint was that they didn't get nearly enough for a guy like Motte......and for a team that has to make 'major moves' the team essentially did nothing.

Methinks there was ownership meddling yet again.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yahoo Sports has firmly graded the Canucks as one of the league's 'losers' at the trade deadline. Their complaint was that they didn't get nearly enough for a guy like Motte......and for a team that has to make 'major moves' the team essentially did nothing.

also Aquilini was the one who told reporters that the Canucks had no more deals coming in after the Motte move, which says a lot... shouldn't the GM be the one saying this? :laugh:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Ha.
Same old same old.
This is a F deadline.
The team basically just gained a 4th.
That is it.

To be fair...
This new front office was only installed a couple of months ago...
And the new GM had even lesser time on the job...
So this group does deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Also...
At least there is still the draft and this off-season to trade...
And both 2022 and 2023 are pretty strong drafts...
So we should get a clearer picture later on this year.

So far though...
I fail to see any plans...
So my gut reaction is very negative.
I will readily admit that I am probably too reactionary...
And I could be very wrong.
I have become very jaded after the Benning era...
And my initial reaction to Rutherford was less-than-positive...
Since I still believe that he is an old dinosaur...
So this new group has a very short leash for me.
His new hires...
Especially the women...
Are nice touches...
But it is not enough.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

also Aquilini was the one who told reporters that the Canucks had no more deals coming in after the Motte move, which says a lot... shouldn't the GM be the one saying this? :laugh:

Boy...
This is a Mickey Mouse organization.
:help:

Maybe we should all go back to being apathetic.
I feel like I will bring everyone down with my negative energy.
:laugh:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I

its Freaking yahoo sports..
In 2022, that shit is more backward thinking than Jim Benning. The fact that they think the team need to make major moves right now is all you need to know

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Gave it a B (C+ if the option was presented).
Hamonic for 3rd was great.
Dermott for 3rd wasn't, but I'm withholding judgement until I see more out of the player. He's younger, faster and better at passing and reportedly enjoyed two promising seasons in TO before Keefe took over for Babcock. Seems like a great change-of-scenery gamble that may or may not work out.
Some TO posters who've wandered over suggest that he has top-four upside, and as others have mentioned, a third round pick's odds of making the NHL are low, whereas Dermott is already in the NHL and is cheap for next season.
Worst case scenario, Canucks save money on the cap and have a meh player for a season. The best case scenario is we use our current suckiness to give this player a lot of ice time and responsibility, and he flourishes.
If I judge it purely as a Hamonic for Dermott swap, which is effectively what it was, it's a pretty easy win for me.

As for the Motte trade, you can only get what you can get. I'm not in the war room and I don't presume to know the offers were better a week ago.
Anyone saying the Canucks overplayed their hand and waited too long, it's pure speculation with no evidence to suggest it's true.
The return on Motte seems to be in line with similar players, and if I were another organization dealing for Motte, I probably wouldn't have gone higher than a third given his fragility.

If you want to include Richardson, as others have noted, you need people to fill out the roster between now and the end of the season, and Allvin's comments suggest his addition doesn't prevent William Lockwood from getting a look down the stretch.

As for deals that weren't made, people would be howling in outrage if the Canucks dealt Miller or Boeser for a subpar package.
What if they'd gone with the Miller for NYR 1st, Lundqvist and Chytil package. Would we be happy? Probably not.
Trading away Miller, you're pretty much guaranteed to 'lose' the deal in the public and media eye, because the best player is the one you're sending away.
If the Canucks feel there is more value to be had at the draft, in the offseason or elsewhere on the future timeline, I'll judge that deal when it comes.
If it reaches a point where Miller or Boeser get dealt for pennies on the dollar, I'll join the chorus of boos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
I'm not buying the 'ownership meddling' line.
I suspect if there was serious interference from Aquillini, JR is at the point in his career where he has enough credibility and clout (and career earnings) to say 'screw this and screw you' and walk.
What a PR nightmare if the new president exited in that way.
He knows it. Frankie knows it.
I don't believe ownership will be handcuffing hockey ops in any way as long as JR is there to manage upwards, as they say.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
C+

Hamonic trade was fantastic.
Dermott deal was decent - could work out well and he'll still be an RFA after next year, IIRC
Motte trade has me whelmed, and not in the good way. A 4th is better than nothing though.

I think it's probably best they wait until the offseason for the rest, should be more options. I think they make room to re-sign Miller. Would've likely been selling low on Boeser, and I bet he will come in cheaper than his value-hurting QO. The rest have too much term for contending teams that were looking for expiring deals. The real test will be the offseason.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

Well, since Yahoo sports says so.lol

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
D+, C- territory for me. Unimpressed.

Basically swapping Hamonic for Dermott was solid. Clears some cap. It's a small step in the right direction, but at least it's a step.

Motte for a 4th. Really, really don't like that. He's one of the few guys I'd much rather keep than let go for that little.

Richardson for free...essentially replacing Motte, but what decade is this? Don't have much trouble thinking of better players that have been on waivers this year.

All in all, stagnation is the order of the day. At least there were no WTF?! moments like the Sbisa/Dorsett extensions once upon a time. But this is still a team that needs major changes to improve and didn't make any. I realize they're over a barrel with the cap situation but I was really hoping for more today. Like, maybe at least one big name shipped out for picks or futures. Oh well.

The saga sags on.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
D from a fans perspective. This team hasn’t shown me any reason to believe in it this season and i don’t know what’s going on with Bo or Brock.

Maybe B from a manager perspective who has a lot more info about the injuries everyone is currently nursing?

I honestly have no idea.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Solid C. All moves made sense and they gained value while shedding cap in the defensive swap. Nothing great though and the majority of the work remains to be done to fix this cap situation. Given how little happened overall it's likely there just weren't good deals to be had. This will be best judged once we see how the off season goes. I expect a lot to get done at the draft and or after that. I'm going to miss Motte for sure though. All the best to him.

Totally agree but I give it a B+...

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not buying the 'ownership meddling' line.
I suspect if there was serious interference from Aquillini, JR is at the point in his career where he has enough credibility and clout (and career earnings) to say 'screw this and screw you' and walk.
What a PR nightmare if the new president exited in that way.
He knows it. Frankie knows it.
I don't believe ownership will be handcuffing hockey ops in any way as long as JR is there to manage upwards, as they say.

I agree with you. I have no doubt that ownership in the past has been a major problem but at this point, and with the people who've been brought in, I don't believe that narrative of meddling ownership is current. No chance JR is a puppet.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I gave a D but mostly because I wanted some big moves to restock draft picks and prospects. Maybe they’ll be making big moves at the draft instead.

It’s nice to not lose value at the tdl for once.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Maybe it was never likely, but I had some hope that we might move Miller for fair value which would've been enormous. Thrilled w the Hamonic part, ok with Dermott, and the Motte one is a bit of a bummer, but it was either re-signing a number I wouldn't have liked, lose him for nothing or a mid round pick. I would've expected maybe a 3rd and a 5th or something but to get a pick instead of the absolutely nothing we are used to felt ok. Nobody was ever taking Myers.
Still can't give it more than a C because I was bored and holding out hope for some fireworks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Looking at some of the assets we've been told have to be moved, I can't rate this highly.

Hamonic for a 3rd is a B for me. I didn't like the guy.

Dermott for a third...is just...I don't see the upside here at all. If we got him off waivers or for futures, sure, but I'd have been happier with the pick. And I think picks after the second round are essentially useless.

Motte for a 4th was probably the best we were getting in this market, but yikes. That's the big move. And he was one of the few players I wanted to see game to game.

Richardson as a waiver pick up isn't bad, I liked him here last time, but isn't going to replace Motte.

Hamonic being dumped was the best move, but on the hole, we seemed to be clammering to get worse, and moved back with our third round pick and got a fourth as compensation. Yuck.

Reactions: Tact

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
A+

Hamonic for Dermott - good deal. Got rid of a guy that quit on his team. Went younger and cheaper. More upside.

Motte for a 4th. Great deal. We can always resign Motte in the summer. WE are not making playoffs this year anyways... so you get what ever you can. Previously we would have kept him / missed playoffs / lost him over the summer

Richardson is just a short term rental to finish off this losing season. It allows the ABby team to load up for the playoffs and use Petan / Rempal....

BEST DEAL Of day... was this year not moving picks for rentals in yet another failed attempt to make the playoffs ...

Summary - Canuck fans need to be patient to clear off all the crappy contracts Dim signed here. PATIENCE>
We did not do any deals at the Trade deadline that will handcuff of going forward. THIS IS A +

A

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
D+, C- territory for me. Unimpressed.

Basically swapping Hamonic for Dermott was solid. Clears some cap. It's a small step in the right direction, but at least it's a step.

Motte for a 4th. Really, really don't like that. He's one of the few guys I'd much rather keep than let go for that little.

Richardson for free...essentially replacing Motte, but what decade is this? Don't have much trouble thinking of better players that have been on waivers this year.

All in all, stagnation is the order of the day. At least there were no WTF?! moments like the Sbisa/Dorsett extensions once upon a time. But this is still a team that needs major changes to improve and didn't make any. I realize they're over a barrel with the cap situation but I was really hoping for more today. Like, maybe at least one big name shipped out for picks or futures. Oh well.

The saga sags on.
Motte camp reported wanting at least 2m AAV
That’s a no for me

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Never moved out any of the truly dead weight or bloated contracts like Halak, Myers, Boeser etc...

Never got any high draft choices and gave up a third.

Didn't maximize return on an asset in any trade. Hamonic for 3rd was the closest. Motte trade stank and ends up looking like they did a Benning-like "ran out of time" move.

Got nothing that moves the needle moving ahead. Dermott is a replacement level player. Draft choices are shots in the dark. Richardson is absolutely meaningless.

Management group (as big as it is) is off to a bad start.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
C.

But that could easily swing both ways in the offseason. I think it needs to be looked at as a whole.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
F, as a rebuilding team i expect Miller, Horvat and to a lesser degree OEL and Myers to be gone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad