Draft What Grade Would You Give Our 2020 Draft?

What Grade Would You Give Our Draft?

• Total voters

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I like Schneider and we did not give up a ton to trade up. But that means in less than 2 years we need to trade Trouba and DeAngelo to make space for Lundkvist and Schneider.

I really like the Cuylle pick, but another LW? I like that we finally traded Lias, but I don't like that all we got was a 60th overall pick for him.

I was a bit puzzled why they took Tarnstrom in the 3rd, he was probably going to be available in the 7th. We needed to draft a good center this draft and for some reason reached for this guy who has yet to produce a point in Allsvenskan.

Really like Garand pick in the 4th round we needed to keep the goalie pipeline going.

Vierling was a nice pick we needed centers, and I think we traded 2 7th rounders to get this early 5th rounder, I don't remember too many trades like this, so basically we got a guy that could have went in the 3rd round with 2 7th round picks.

Berard another steal he was supposed the go late 2nd/early 3rd, but again a LW?

Rempe I like this, 6th round go for the big physical monster, why not? And he is not a LW!

Olas a huge Swedish goalie in the 7th round, sure why not.

If not for Tarnstrom and a glut on LW and RD this would be an A draft. Also would have been smart to trade down and take Zary or Greig. So B+

Who says DeAngelo and Trouba have to be traded? There's no guarantee with either Lundkvist or Schneider.

We got lucky to get even that much for Lias. I was surprised we got a 2nd round pick for him, to be honest.

You also draft BPA, or who you think it is. Don't worry about the position.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The thing about Schneider is he doesn’t have upside. This is the player he is. He’s one of the oldest players in the draft so he has many months on some players. He’s a defensive minded defenseman without much offense. He can skate okay with regards to speed, but his mobility is below average at best. He’s a defenseman from 15 years ago. Great teams have this kind of player, but it’s not a super high profile player. These days a player like this is picked in rounds 2-4 but ends up being good enough to be a bottom 4 defender.

I just wish he were a lefty. He’s not a long term project and may be ready some time next season. If not next season, certainly ‘21-‘22. We already have a logjam on the right side, so this just complicates things further. I think he’ll be a NHL player for a long time, but his style of play is a bit antiquated for today’s game.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I loved our draft. Outside of course of the fact we took the best player in the draft in Laf, I had the chance to get some really solid intel on Where Schneider was on a lot of nhl boards and MANY had him top 10. that pick looks tremendous. Definitely BPA. And we are not as deep as people think outside of the immediate nhlers on the right side.

then picks like Vierling and Cullye (picks 2 and 3 in the 2018 OHL draft behind only Byfield) are really great value.

the garand pick was saavy. That kid is one of the hottest goalies in Canadian junior hockey. He’ll make the WJC team and play.

Berard was a great value pick

and even Tarnstrom was more of a homerun swing. A lot of people like him he was the best player on a really bad team.

so I loved the draft a lot of it because of the Schneider pick.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The thing about Schneider is he doesn’t have upside. This is the player he is. He’s one of the oldest players in the draft so he has many months on some players. He’s a defensive minded defenseman without much offense. He can skate okay with regards to speed, but his mobility is below average at best. He’s a defenseman from 15 years ago. Great teams have this kind of player, but it’s not a super high profile player. These days a player like this is picked in rounds 2-4 but ends up being good enough to be a bottom 4 defender.

I just wish he were a lefty. He’s not a long term project and may be ready some time next season. If not next season, certainly ‘21-‘22. We already have a logjam on the right side, so this just complicates things further. I think he’ll be a NHL player for a long time, but his style of play is a bit antiquated for today’s game.

like 80 % of this 1st round were same age as Schneider. So they all have no upside?

We definitely made a mistake though, we should have traded down instead of up and take Zary or Greig and we would have at least 2 more 3rd rounders.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Who says DeAngelo and Trouba have to be traded? There's no guarantee with either Lundkvist or Schneider.

We got lucky to get even that much for Lias. I was surprised we got a 2nd round pick for him, to be honest.

You also draft BPA, or who you think it is. Don't worry about the position.

Common sense and salary cap says so.

I don't think we got lucky, I think he waited too long on trading Lias his value dropped due to suspension.

No, you have to worry about position especially when you have big holes in some areas and a big glut in others.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Common sense and salary cap says so.

I don't think we got lucky, I think he waited too long on trading Lias his value dropped due to suspension.

No, you have to worry about position especially when you have big holes in some areas and a big glut in others.

Common sense only applies if both Lundkvist and Schneider look to be the real deal. No guarantees of that happening yet. The salary cap won't really be an issue then.

Are you saying they could have gotten a 1st rounder back for Lias? I don't believe so - but to each his own. Getting a 2nd round pick for him was a home run, even more so that they selected Cuylle with it.

If there's a glut in position, you can always trade the glut for a weakness. It's not that huge a deal. You go with BPA over position pretty much every time.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Common sense only applies if both Lundkvist and Schneider look to be the real deal. No guarantees of that happening yet. The salary cap won't really be an issue then.

Are you saying they could have gotten a 1st rounder back for Lias? I don't believe so - but to each his own. Getting a 2nd round pick for him was a home run, even more so that they selected Cuylle with it.

If there's a glut in position, you can always trade the glut for a weakness. It's not that huge a deal. You go with BPA over position pretty much every time.

Lundkvist and Schneider seem to be the real deal.

No, not a 1st rounder, but maybe 2 2nd rounders or more likely 2nd + 3rd.

But we are now in a situation where we will be basically forced to trade Kreider a year or 2 from now unless Alexis or Artemis can play Center or RW.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Schneider seems to be very divisive among prospect watchers. He's been described as anywhere from a good #5 to a top pair D.

No is he isn't. He was considered one of the most sure things in this years draft. Problem is that moron GM's still think if you draft a d man in the first round he has to have 40 to 60 point potential. They still don't realize defense and goaltending wins cups with timely scoring and good special teams. If you don't have defenseman that can shut down other teams top lines, you aren't winning a championship. Simple is that. I like Fox and Lindgren but they don't have that ability. Not big enough. Not fast enough. Outstanding second pair but not a first pair.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
like 80 % of this 1st round were same age as Schneider. So they all have no upside?

We definitely made a mistake though, we should have traded down instead of up and take Zary or Greig and we would have at least 2 more 3rd rounders.

If Schneider were born 5 days earlier, he’d have been eligible for the 2019 draft. At that age, 1 year could show as much change as 5 years. Having the extra year helped him out tremendously. Having the extra year wasn’t the cause of his having little upside, but it did exacerbate the problem.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I read something recently about where a guy's birthday fell having an impact on forwards but not defensemen. I didn't share it because it was kind of poorly written (the data was fine) and used some metrics I wasn't familiar with. Anyway I can't find it now, so, whatever. LOL.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If Schneider were born 5 days earlier, he’d have been eligible for the 2019 draft. At that age, 1 year could show as much change as 5 years. Having the extra year helped him out tremendously. Having the extra year wasn’t the cause of his having little upside, but it did exacerbate the problem.

again 5 days, 15 days or 1 day, who cares, there were like 20 other highly ranked prospects in the same boat including. I think somebody tried to draft Ovechkin a year earlier in the later rounds claiming if you count leap years' extra days that he qualifies for that year's draft.

"He was so highly regarded that the Florida Panthers attempted to draft him in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft in the ninth round, even though his birthday was two days after the cut-off (15 September 1985)."

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only pick I really disliked was the Tarnstrom pick. They made up for it in the 5th where both of their picks have legitimate NHL upside (Though as the president of the Brett Berard fan club, I may be a bit biased.)

I know the analytics peeps didn't love the Schenider or Cuylle picks (more so the latter than the former) so I understand some of the B's that have been casted in this vote. Though those people also loved Gunler who is pretty meh tbh.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've been watching Will from Scouching's reviews on each teams drafts. So far he's done 15 teams and this is how he ranks them:

1A
1B--Toronto
1C--Anaheim
1D--Detroit, Vegas, Dallas
1F
2A
2B--Nashville
2C--Colorado, Edmonton, Philadelphia
2D--Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Montreal
2F
3A
3B
3C
3D--Arizona
3F--St. Louis

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Schneider and Garand are both good prospects. I really like both of them. I'm just not sure I would have gone with either. They're not bad picks by any means but I'm not sold they were the right picks. But, both could prove to be great picks, so it's cool.

Tarnstrom, again, I didn't know a ton about him, but still seems like a reach. The Jacob Ragnarsson pick of this draft.

Rempe is an interesting guy, I guess. There were some other guys still out there that I liked, such as Miettinen, Kerins, and Zlodeyev that I had my eye on. It's late in the draft and the chances of finding a player are slim, but I really like the three I mentioned from an upside pespective.

All in all it was fine. Would be a B+ for me. Maybe had they done something different with that second pick--I would have been thrilled had they stayed at 22 and picked Brisson--and then maybe done something else with Tarnstrom, it would have been an easy A. Lafreniere is great, loved the Cuylle pick, loved the Berard pick, liked the Vierling pick, didn't love the Garand pick but like him as a prospect. Schneider is a terrific prospect.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I've been watching Will from Scouching's reviews on each teams drafts. So far he's done 13 teams and this is how he ranks them:

1A
1B--Toronto
1C--Anaheim
1F
2A
2B--Nashville
2D--Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh
2F
3A
3B
3C
3D
3F--St. Louis

Toronto had a lot of picks, but that doesn't mean they did amazing. Amirov was a reach in my opinion. He looks like Namestnikov clone. I would take Cuylle over Hirvonen.

Reactions: eco's bones

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

He had 42 points in 60 games...Id say saying he's got no offense in him is kinda...unfair

Robertson had 47 in 60...does he also have no offensive game to him?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Schneider and Garand are both good prospects. I really like both of them. I'm just not sure I would have gone with either. They're not bad picks by any means but I'm not sold they were the right picks. But, both could prove to be great picks, so it's cool.

Tarnstrom, again, I didn't know a ton about him, but still seems like a reach. The Jacob Ragnarsson pick of this draft.

Rempe is an interesting guy, I guess. There were some other guys still out there that I liked, such as Miettinen, Kerins, and Zlodeyev that I had my eye on. It's late in the draft and the chances of finding a player are slim, but I really like the three I mentioned from an upside pespective.

All in all it was fine. Would be a B+ for me. Maybe had they done something different with that second pick--I would have been thrilled had they stayed at 22 and picked Brisson--and then maybe done something else with Tarnstrom, it would have been an easy A. Lafreniere is great, loved the Cuylle pick, loved the Berard pick, liked the Vierling pick, didn't love the Garand pick but like him as a prospect. Schneider is a terrific prospect.

They are obsessed with the bloodlines, I forgot that we wasted 3rd rounder on Ragnarsson, I thought it was 4th rounder, Gross that was another wasted pick. we wasted 4 picks that draft.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They are obsessed with the bloodlines, I forgot that we wasted 3rd rounder on Ragnarsson, I thought it was 4th rounder, Gross that was another wasted pick. we wasted 4 picks that draft.
I don't necessarily mind placing a value on bloodlines. The hockey community is pretty small in the grand scheme of things and a ton of guys in the league have some sort of familial connection to former players. As long as that bloodline element is not a driving factor in the player being chosen, and the guy's selection in that spot would be justified even if he was my son and not former NHL player's son. I think growing up in a professional hockey household is a benefit in most cases. Just can't go overboard.

Gross was an interesting pick because he had been so highly-regarded prior to his draft year, when he really struggled and was also sick, IIRC. His stock plummeted and I actually thought it was a decent gamble. Unfortunately that first season was no aberration, and he really just never progressed.

Ragnarsson was a stretch but I liked what I saw when I watched him. Still, his defense is good but not great and there's not really any offense there. He looks like a guy who will have a nice career in Allsvenskan and can maybe even hang on in the SHL one day, but not like someone who is poised to sign an ELC and come make an impact in North America. If he did come over he looks like AHL fodder.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I've been watching Will from Scouching's reviews on each teams drafts. So far he's done 13 teams and this is how he ranks them:

1A
1B--Toronto
1C--Anaheim
1F
2A
2B--Nashville
2D--Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh
2F
3A
3B
3C
3D
3F--St. Louis
He hated the Schneider Cuylle and Rempe picks, doubt he gives anywhere near a good grade.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He hated the Schneider Cuylle and Rempe picks, doubt he gives anywhere near a good grade.

I think the problem is that we empower some of these people over and over again despite some really questionable calls and observations.

Often times, a lot of these observers would not be able to stand the scrutiny of these boards, let alone a broader pushback.

And that's fine, save for the fact that we keep driving traffic their way, which expands their reach, which in turn gives them a broader audience with which to share questionable observations.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think the problem is that we empower some of these people over and over again despite some really questionable calls and observations.

Often times, a lot of these observers would not be able to stand the scrutiny of these boards, let alone a broader pushback.

And that's fine, save for the fact that we keep driving traffic their way, which expands their reach, which in turn gives them a broader audience with which to share questionable observations.

yes, because most of us don't have time to watch these players and there are only a handful of people doing these video scouting analysis and obviously each of them has their own biases. Like some think physicality is gone and is no longer needed. I watch it for factual observations, not for their opinions so I watch it and hear what they say, but I make up my own mind.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
yes, because most of us don't have time to watch these players and there are only a handful of people doing these video scouting analysis and obviously each of them has their own biases. Like some think physicality is gone and is no longer needed. I watch it for factual observations, not for their opinions so I watch it and hear what they say, but I make up my own mind.

I have no problem with people doing that, but like anything else, I think there should be some accountability.

In some cases, some of these guys are flat out wrong on a lot of things and that gets proven with time. That should be part of the evaluation before we consider someone an expert on anything.

I don't have time to perform maintenance on my car, but if I take it to a mechanic who keeps putting pieces in the wrong slots, I don't consider him to be an expert --- regardless of how much time and effort he puts into his work.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing about Schneider is he doesn’t have upside. This is the player he is.
Why is "upside" always seem to be equated with offensive points?

Saying this is the player that he is, means he is not growing or improving. That is rather silly.
He’s a defensive minded defenseman without much offense.
So what, frankly? And he has an excellent shot. If he can get himself to 30 or so points and play excellent defense, who cares?
He can skate okay with regards to speed, but his mobility is below average at best. He’s a defenseman from 15 years ago. Great teams have this kind of player, but it’s not a super high profile player. These days a player like this is picked in rounds 2-4 but ends up being good enough to be a bottom 4 defender.
This makes me want to ask (no offense) have you actually watched him play?

Anyone that can play physical, defensive game is a Neanderthal? Adam Foote was not a super high profile player on the 'Lanche defenses. Yet they did now work without him.
I just wish he were a lefty.
One of the most coveted assets in the NHL are right handed defenesmen that can play on the top two pairs.
We already have a logjam on the right side, so this just complicates things further.
What is the log jam?
I think he’ll be a NHL player for a long time, but his style of play is a bit antiquated for today’s game.
Is Trouba's game antiquated? Would a young Chara be antiquated today? How antiquated is Shea Webber?

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Great picks: Lafrenière, Schneider, Berard, Vierling
Good picks: Garand, Cuylle
Questionable picks: Tärnström, Rempe, Ollas

There are no real bad picks and having 4 picks I consider great makes this a top notch draft class. A rating for sure.

Lafrenière makes it a bit easier of course but the Schneider pick, considering where he was ranked, looks great to me despite personally eyeing other players at that 19 or 22 spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad