Draft What Grade Would You Give Our 2020 Draft?

What Grade Would You Give Our Draft?

• Total voters

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
strong disagree. Very little upside outside of Laf. Not thrilled with Schneider that high. You can get "tough to play against" bottom pairing d-men much later or elsewhere.
Not ones that have the upside to be anywhere from a 2-4 defenseman, you can't. It is one thing to get players that are tough to play against to fill in your bottom 2 lines or third defensive pairing. It is another to have those players play on the top 2 lines or d pairings.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not ones that have the upside to be anywhere from a 2-4 defenseman, you can't. It is one thing to get players that are tough to play against to fill in your bottom 2 lines or third defensive pairing. It is another to have those players play on the top 2 lines or d pairings.
i just dont think he has that upside. also he's rhd, which for us is accounted for not only today but 5 years down the road too.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i just dont think he has that upside. also he's rhd, which for us is accounted for not only today but 5 years down the road too.
Being a right handed defenseman only adds value, not subtract it. That is one of the more valued commodities in the league.

How exactly are the Rangers accounted for it 5 years down the road?

You may not think that he has the upside, but most would disagree with you. He is a consensus first round pick and one of the top defensive prospects in a fairly strong draft. I would think that most consider him to have the upside.

Reactions: Barnaby

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Being a right handed defenseman only adds value, not subtract it. That is one of the more valued commodities in the league.

How exactly are the Rangers accounted for it 5 years down the road?

You may not think that he has the upside, but most would disagree with you. He is a consensus first round pick and one of the top defensive prospects in a fairly strong draft. I would think that most consider him to have the upside.

Well, Trouba and Fox are not going anywhere anytime soon. And they still have to sort out the Nils / Tony D conundrum. And whomever wins out there will probably be here long term as well.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Well, Trouba and Fox are not going anywhere anytime soon. And they still have to sort out the Nils / Tony D conundrum. And whomever wins out there will probably be here long term as well.

In 10 years you’ll look back and say who took the best player, not was he a righty or lefty. Is Ryan Getzlaf a righty or lefty or was he just a better pick than Jessiman?

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I have a feeling that once Pietrangelo is signed, Tony is as good as gone - hopefully for a reasonable return. And 5 years down the road, Trouba will have a limited NTC - he should be moveable.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Michael Sauer was not going anywhere either. Del Zotto was going to be a staple. And as of right now, Lundqvist's production equals that of Bobby Sanguinetti's.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Michael Sauer was not going anywhere either. Del Zotto was going to be a staple. And as of right now, Lundqvist's production equals that of Bobby Sanguinetti's.
well i'm not as high on Nils as some people here are which is why i want to keep Tony, but if Tony has to be the odd one out Nils better be the real deal or its a huge mistake.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
well i'm not as high on Nils as some people here are which is why i want to keep Tony, but if Tony has to be the odd one out Nils better be the real deal or its a huge mistake.
There was never any chance that the right side would be comprised of DeAngelo, Fox & Lundqvist. The smart money right now is that Fox is here long term. DeAngelo getting moved may have well to do with what his contract demands are. But at a bare minimum, that decision need not happen right now. Lundqvist has to first 1) come to North America 2) prove that he belongs. And Schnieder is at least 2-3 years down the line. There is enough time to make educated decisions about who is here and who is an asset that gets moved to shore up another weakness.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
My thoughts on this draft class...

Lafreniere is a homerun. Easily the best thing for the franchise!! The Schneider trade-up was a solid move, in hindsight. Snagging a pick from the Devils (and that was the case, I don't care what their writers say) and grabbing a solid defenseman is a great move in any sense. If Schneider can become anything like Trouba or Lindgren, that's a win!!

Trading Lias for a 2nd rounder is also a good move, despite the potential for Lias to spark his career in LA and thrive. Cuylle is a good get, though. Big, fast, shoot first and is heavily physical. I think a lot of teams are going to want him one day. Similar to how Lemieux was sought after. He says himself he models his game after Tom Wilson. I could see that and I love that for NYR!!

I like the upside in Tarnstrom, however, I think he was taken a little early. I had him in the early 4th because he has a good grind style. He does have the potential to develop a really good playmaking possession game. He already has that possession game and I think over time he can develop a good offensive game.

Garand is a good selection in the 4th round. Was one of the better goalies on board and is a good time to use a pick on one of those top goalies. He looks a lot like Georgiev and I feel this was, honestly, the BPA for the Rangers at that moment. He's already been discussed to make Team Canada for the WJC. I like the pick!!

The 5th round was a master class use of finding falling talent. Vierling was one of the players I wanted NYR to get past the 2nd round. He was considered a low 1st round-early 2nd round pick when the season started. An injury early on and being on a shitty Flint team diminished his production. Since his move to Barrie, he has been on fire. Love that pick!! Berard can also be considered a faller, although I had him more in the late 4th round. Highly competitive and could develop an offensive game that can thrive similarly to a player like, dare I say, Brad Marchand. Love the upside there, too!!

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Rempe. He wasn't a no draft for me, but primarily a 7th at best. He's big and speedy for his size, but I do think he has a lack of offensive talent. He can also be lost on the defensive side. I would've gone a different route. I do say his size and speed combo can be beneficial later on in his career. I don't like the pick now, but I can see this being a solid pick later on in development.

Hugo Ollas I haven't seen at all, TBH, but by looking at the stats and initial video clips, not only would I have gone with a falling defender/forward, I would've gone with a different goalie, too. With the way Garand plays, I think it would've been better to find more depth at forward or defense.

All-in-all, I would give the Rangers an A-. I originally had it at a B+, but Lafreniere is too good to not give them an A in some capacity. With Lafreniere, they were also able to grab players with physicality and skill. The fact that they were able to get a solid goalie prospect and grab center depth is great, as well. Good job NYR!!

Good breakdown JB .. The Cuylle interview I saw he said he was aware of the Wilson comparisons but modeled his game on Jamie Benn. I can live with that.

Rempe videos look pretty good. Its hard to believe someone that size could skate that well, as well as being pretty agile. He is only 18 , hopefully when he grows into that frame he wont lose his mobility.. If he dont he will be a monster.

There were a couple of kids I wanted (Marat K. and Sebrango) but I loved the haul. LOL I needed 20 picks to get the players I liked.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
There was never any chance that the right side would be comprised of DeAngelo, Fox & Lundqvist. The smart money right now is that Fox is here long term. DeAngelo getting moved may have well to do with what his contract demands are. But at a bare minimum, that decision need not happen right now. Lundqvist has to first 1) come to North America 2) prove that he belongs. And Schnieder is at least 2-3 years down the line. There is enough time to make educated decisions about who is here and who is an asset that gets moved to shore up another weakness.
Sign Lundqvist but dont rush him.. I think we made that mistake on LA and others. Before he is handed a spot on the backline he should earn it. I think Schnieder is going to be ready a lot sooner than 2 or three years. He is already physically ready.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
The instant draft grades always crack me up as they usually amount to, who picked the players I like later than I thought they would go.

Reactions: JCProdigy

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It's a B for me based on the top 3 picks (even though Laf was a gift) alone and the "intentions" behind such that management had decided to take.

The rest of the picks I know zero about..

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston

I've heard a lot of draft people say that Schneider's upside is a bottom pairing defenseman that plays on the penalty kill. That seems pretty facetious to me but it is true that a lot of people don't think very highly of his upside. His offensive game seems to be the biggest concern as his numbers are largely propped up by playing on the power play where he does not project to play at the next level. He's also one of the oldest players in the draft class so there is a belief that he has less room to grow. This is also considered a very weak draft for defensemen.

But who knows, it wouldn't be the first time people have been completely wrong about a prospect.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I've heard a lot of draft people say that Schneider's upside is a bottom pairing defenseman that plays on the penalty kill. That seems pretty facetious to me but it is true that a lot of people don't think very highly of his upside. His offensive game seems to be the biggest concern as his numbers are largely propped up by playing on the power play where he does not project to play at the next level. He's also one of the oldest players in the draft class so there is a belief that he has less room to grow. This is also considered a very weak draft for defensemen.

But who knows, it wouldn't be the first time people have been completely wrong about a prospect.

If I had to make a comparison and while it's nothing more than that at this point in time, I'd really like to think he's a wannabe Orpik..

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sign Lundqvist but dont rush him.. I think we made that mistake on LA and others. Before he is handed a spot on the backline he should earn it. I think Schnieder is going to be ready a lot sooner than 2 or three years. He is already physically ready.
He is closer to being physically ready, but still has much to learn. Though we shall see.

Lundqvist needs not be handed anything. None of the prospects do.

Reactions: dumpin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

It has basically come to that people see upside only in "offensive" defensemen. The only time that a prospect can have upside for top-two pairs is if he is a fancy distributor of the puck. In Schnieder's case, I think that it is a lot of posters who do not think highly of his upside. They hear "tough to play against", "defensively aware" and it becomes the same thing as when they hear about a forward who has a "200 foot game", "high motor", "high floor". These are buzzwords that some people take to mean that said prospect is slated for nothing more than a last pairing defenseman or a 4th liner.

The kid's aggregate rank was in the low 20s. Some had him higher, not many much lower. He may not be a Karlsson in the making, but there is no reason as to why he cannot be thought of as a 2 (at best) or 3-4.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I like Schneider and we did not give up a ton to trade up. But that means in less than 2 years we need to trade Trouba and DeAngelo to make space for Lundkvist and Schneider.

I really like the Cuylle pick, but another LW? I like that we finally traded Lias, but I don't like that all we got was a 60th overall pick for him.

I was a bit puzzled why they took Tarnstrom in the 3rd, he was probably going to be available in the 7th. We needed to draft a good center this draft and for some reason reached for this guy who has yet to produce a point in Allsvenskan.

Really like Garand pick in the 4th round we needed to keep the goalie pipeline going.

Vierling was a nice pick we needed centers, and I think we traded 2 7th rounders to get this early 5th rounder, I don't remember too many trades like this, so basically we got a guy that could have went in the 3rd round with 2 7th round picks.

Berard another steal he was supposed the go late 2nd/early 3rd, but again a LW?

Rempe I like this, 6th round go for the big physical monster, why not? And he is not a LW!

Olas a huge Swedish goalie in the 7th round, sure why not.

If not for Tarnstrom and a glut on LW and RD this would be an A draft. Also would have been smart to trade down and take Zary or Greig. So B+

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Schneider and we did not give up a ton to trade up. But that means in less than 2 years we need to trade Trouba and DeAngelo to make space for Lundkvist and Schneider.

I really like the Cuylle pick, but another LW? I like that we finally traded Lias, but I don't like that all we got was a 60th overall pick for him.

I was a bit puzzled why they took Tarnstrom in the 3rd, he was probably going to be available in the 7th. We needed to draft a good center this draft and for some reason reached for this guy who has yet to produce a point in Allsvenskan.

Really like Garand pick in the 4th round we needed to keep the goalie pipeline going.

Vierling was a nice pick we needed centers, and I think we traded 2 7th rounders to get this early 5th rounder, I don't remember too many trades like this, so basically we got a guy that could have went in the 3rd round with 2 7th round picks.

Berard another steal he was supposed the go late 2nd/early 3rd, but again a LW?

Rempe I like this, 6th round go for the big physical monster, why not? And he is not a LW!

Olas a huge Swedish goalie in the 7th round, sure why not.

If not for Tarnstrom and a glut on LW and RD this would be an A draft. Also would have been smart to trade down and take Zary or Greig. So B+
Who knows what we'll need to do in 2 years. I know we all love Lundkvist (and Miller and the rest of the guys), but we don't know how they'll end up. Lundkvist is a great prospect but I don't think he approaches the level of a can't-miss guy where you're already planning to trade established players to accommodate him. Same goes for Miller, Schneider, Robertson, etc.

Regarding Andersson, I don't think anyone "likes" that we traded a guy selected at #7 for the 60th overall pick, but one would think that was the best return that presented itself. Someone (Vince I think) straight asked Gorton or JD if the offers got better after Lias got off to a good start and he said yes. So, if we wanted to move him at the draft, this was apparently as good as it gets. I suppose you could have held onto him and tried to move him later but there's no guarantee the value would have increased--he could have hurt himself, struggled, done something stupid, etc. I mean all things considered, given that apparently no one was offering anything other than crappy picks dating back to the TDL, I think the 60th pick, particularly given it's Cuylle, is a good return.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
strong disagree. Very little upside outside of Laf. Not thrilled with Schneider that high. You can get "tough to play against" bottom pairing d-men much later or elsewhere.

You're lost. No you can't get tough to play against much later or else. As evidence by the fact that this team hadn't had one in forever until they trade for Lindgren. This team has soft defenseman and has for years now. Schneider isn't just tough to play against. His size, skating and strength projects him as a guy who can shut down first lines and those guys are incredibly rare.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Schneider seems to be very divisive among prospect watchers. He's been described as anywhere from a good #5 to a top pair D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad