What exactly makes Calgary’s Defense elite?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think the biggest thing is that Brodie became super overrated at some point (i.e. when he played with Gio). He's ok but not really all that great.

Giordano is by far the best part of that defense, and has made everyone who has played alongside him look better than they actually are. First Brodie and now Dougie.

And the Hamonic trade is looking like a bad move at this point. He doesn't seem to be any good at anything other than being a "warrior".

If you've seen stats on Brodie WOWY before stats hockey shut down, one can conclude that Brodie actually carried Giordano from 2013-2014 - 2015-2016, not the other way around. Brodie is overrated now sure, but definitely not by you. Hamilton you have a point, without Giordano and Chara he isn't a worldly Dman (Still excellent offensively though).

Hamonic does suck I agree.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
dXQj3aI
What in the world... Please delete this thanks...
dXQj3aI

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I used my own formula to create a ranking of the teams defensively last season 5on5. Nashville with their so called "best defense" in the league was worse than Calgary in every shot suppression metric except high danger chances, and they were barely better. And the way people are calling Brodie in this thread is basically telling everyone that they think Giordano is the best Dman in the leauge, because there's no ****ing way that Giordano and Hamilton aren't the two best Dman in the league if Brodie is only a #4, the fact that Flames have an awful bottom 6 and an awful bottom 3 Dman pairing. It's either Giordano and Hamilton are the two best Dman in the league, and the 3M line is the best defensive line in the league, or people need to give Brodie more credit. Because there's no way that the Flames would achieve top 10 shot suppression metrics if people are correct on their opinions on the Flames defense.

If you want to know current stats:

CA/60:
NSH: 23/31
CGY: 19/31

So basically both teams haven't been good at suppressing chances.

FA/60:
NSH: 20/31
CGY: 21/31

Yeah again.

SA/60:
NSH: 14/31
CGY: 22/31

Okay NSH is more middle of the pack, and Calgary definitely isn't doing well here, but yeah.

SCA/60:
NSH: 14/31
CGY: 18/31

Both teams are mep here.

HDCA/60:
NSH: 17/31
CGY: 9/31

Calgary is actually a great team in high danger suppression, while Nashville isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad