What exactly are the expectations for the St. Louis Blues?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
SCF or bust from me at the beginning of the season, but IMO their GM failed them at the deadline. Ducks GM did a great job of what you need to do for a long playoff run.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
wcf or bust

would go scf or bust.. But they havent been to the wcf in a looong time

Havent even been to a good long 2nd round iirc, in a long time either.

Slick Willy*

You have willfully misstated that again here.

The Blues simply wanted to avoid Chicago and the Kings. ANYONE ELSE was the preferred match-up. That is not the same as saying the Wild would be an easy first round draw. You can pat yourself on the back and pretend that Blues fans are getting ironic justice here, but I bet you can't link to posts where you can find "ones who were saying they wanted the Wild in the first round".

I came to this thread prepared to post that the expectations are for a first round let-down.

But after reading the thread, and seeing fans from all around the league putting the dirt on the casket its starting to feel like a reverse jinx thread.

I have no predictions, but let's see them get beat one more time before the collapse is dissected.

I still think you guys (maybe) take it in 7.

Just want to cover all my bases (and reverse any jinx I might have put on us) :)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
WCF minimum and it would have to be a strong showing, not a 4 and out.

That team is still young enough to not worry about "the window" closing but the next two seasons need to be SCF/SCW.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Is there not a single team in this post season with higher expectations than the blues?
4 line offense - check
Balanced defense core - check
One of the best systems - check
Solid goaltending - check
Experience - check

The problem with the Blues is that there is another team in their division with all of those things.

4 line offence? Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Saad ... and even the 4th line has the likes of Shaw or Versteeg.

Balanced defence? Yep, Keith + Seabs + Hjalmarsson is right up there with the Blues top three.

Great system? Yep, they're well suited to playing a speed, skill, and puck possession game. The guy behind the bench has the third most wins of any coach of all time, and already has 2 Cups.

Goaltending? Crawford was very good in 2013, and now it looks like Darling's not too shabby himself.

Experience? The current core has won 12 playoff series.

And until St. Louis has an edge on Chicago, they'll have trouble making it out of the Central to the WCF.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think a team with questionable goaltending should be considered a contender.

They can't outscore their problems in the playoffs like they do in the regular season.

The hell are you talking about? We were tied for 4th in GAA in the regular season. How is that outscoring our goaltending problems?

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Whatever the expectations were they sure as hell didn't meet them! :laugh:

They need to make major changes like dump Hitch and get rid of at least 2 out of Steen, Backes, and Oshie.

If they don't they'll lose in the 1st round again next year...or even worse!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
As a Wild fan with no real dislike for the Blues, I have to ask; why do you guys get so much crap for the post season? I know the Blues are insanely stacked and haven't made it past the 2nd round in a while, but look at who hey have lost to, 2 teams that have 4 of the past 5 cups... No one beat them. My two cents is that they are a better captain away from reaching that next level.

Maybe because this has been going on since 1967?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I fully expect no major roster changes at all for the Blues. They'll get a coaching change.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I fully expect no major roster changes at all for the Blues. They'll get a coaching change.

They'll get both.

Jackman won't be re-signed, so there's one change right there.
Michalek probably won't get signed, there's two.
Sobotka is likely back next season.

But I'll be shocked if they don't trade Oshie, unless a new coaching hire indicates that he really wants him to stay for his system.

You have to realize, this core has already gotten 3 coaches fired (OK, maybe that's an exaggeration....two).

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
They'll get both.

Jackman won't be re-signed, so there's one change right there.
Michalek probably won't get signed, there's two.
Sobotka is likely back next season.

But I'll be shocked if they don't trade Oshie, unless a new coaching hire indicates that he really wants him to stay for his system.

You have to realize, this core has already gotten 3 coaches fired (OK, maybe that's an exaggeration....two).

I CANNOT believe the Blues haven't done a SINGLE thing since their playoff disaster! Heads should've rolled after they wiped out against Minny! At least Hitch should've been fired. Now they're actually saying he could he back!! :shakehead

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I CANNOT believe the Blues haven't done a SINGLE thing since their playoff disaster! Heads should've rolled after they wiped out against Minny! At least Hitch should've been fired. Now they're actually saying he could he back!! :shakehead

Were you clutching a handbag and knitted blanket when you posted this? It comes across so melodramatic.

You realize Hitchcock's contract is up, right? At the end of June, unless the team re-sign him he is gone. They don't need to fire him. Its highly likely the decision has been made and the team is performing their search for a coach right now. And if that's the case, if Hitchcock is a guy that you have a good relationship with (which is the case for Doug Armstrong) there is really no point in not allowing Hitchcock time/space to make an announcement about his retirement, or whether he wants to pursue another job or whatever.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
here's the problem - STL has a bunch of guys who are "really good" and not elite, with the possible exception of Tarasenko in a year or so.

Theres no clear cut players on that team where you can point and say yeah, that guy is a true #1 who gets the job done in the playoffs.

Backes is not an elite 1C.

Pietrangelo has seemingly regressed, you could have argued this a year or two ago.

Goalie situation is as nebulous as ever.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
here's the problem - STL has a bunch of guys who are "really good" and not elite, with the possible exception of Tarasenko in a year or so.

Theres no clear cut players on that team where you can point and say yeah, that guy is a true #1 who gets the job done in the playoffs.

Pietrangelo has seemingly regressed, you could have argued this a year or two ago.

Pietrangelo hasn't regressed. If anything he showed a big improvement in his post-season play from previous years.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Ummm.....if Tarasenko isn't elite this year, he's really damn close. 43 goals in 83 games, still tied for 1st in goals in the playoffs with a guy who played 7 games. Tarasenko is about as good a winger as there is in the game. Not THE best, but really, really far above a lot of guys. Perry and Ovi are the only two over him.

Petro just played a very good series at both ends of the ice. He's not the problem.

Backes isn't an elite 1st line center, he's not a first line center at all. He needs a vastly reduced role if he stays in St. Louis at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad