What exactly are the expectations for the St. Louis Blues?

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I'd say 3rd round minimum.

They need to show progress by advancing farther in the playoffs than they have in recent years.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Until the Blues learn to overcome adversity I'm not expecting too much from them.

Minnesota is a good team, but to win the cup you need to beat good teams. This series could actually bode really well for the Blues if, and only if they can win the next two games. It would go a long way in building experience and "leadership"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the only player on the Blues roster to have played in the Conference finals or later is Steve Ott (Dallas 08). Sure Backes, Steen, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz are their big players, but it seems to me that they need someone with that experience of winning a cup, who can take the reigns of the locker room and help them win in such a position as they find themselves in right now.

But, I do think St.Louis is really close to being a cup contender, they could do it this year, but only if they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The Blues have no goaltending. 4 goals on less than 20 shots is unacceptable. Also, the team overall is (wildly? pun intended?) inconsistent. They had, six (?), goals last game only to score just one the next game. But, when was the last time they had a specular performance from one of their goalies in a (crucial) playoff game? So, their failures seem to stock up to subpar goaltending and inconsistent play - imho.

Edit: Oh, perhaps, this post should be a follow-up to why do they struggle in the playoffs (thread)? :) Well, their expectations are high - probably - since, they have had little playoff success and can't get to the later rounds. I think it's due to what I outlined.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Jake Allen is a sieve. The goals he lets in are demoralising to the team. Money goalies need to elevate their play in the playoffs, not become worse.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Conference Finals. I said it in another thread that Hitch and co have had enough chances to make a deep run and they haven't even reached the halfway point to the Cup yet. Now granted, this is the deepest Blue team the NHL has seen in the last few years but the general stench of playoff failure remains the same.

The Blues didn't spend this much time building a contender for them to not actually contend.

I said it before: if they fail to make any noise this year then they need to fire Hitch and his stone age dump and chase and convert to a run and run style like the Capitals have been for all these years. They have a versatile defense and great goaltending... they should MORE than be able to take risks.

You have a team starting with Tarasenko, Stastny, Steen, Schwartz, Shatty, Pietrangelo and Jay Bow to build your firing squad around. That's as good of a group as you'll find anywhere. So you either Oshie and Backes (although I'd have to pick Oshie if I had to choose just one) and find yourself another 30-40 goal 70-80 point player and watch the fireworks.

The Blues are one more star scorer away from greatness.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
IMO, that person has to be Hitch. 2 cups, and has a proven playoff and international tourney track record. Hitch is still one of the best technical coaches today and he still knows how to win. Every team he has coached, he has made a drastic difference in not only the teams success but players growth and success - Modano, Nash, Johanson, Giroux, Voracek, Carter, Richards, Oshie, Tarasenko, etc.

Hitchcock had absolutely nothing to do with the growth and success of Giroux, Voracek, Richards or Carter. he didn't even coach Giroux.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Jake Allen is a sieve. The goals he lets in are demoralising to the team. Money goalies need to elevate their play in the playoffs, not become worse.

agree. they do not have solid goaltending. last night was the perfect example of typical Blues goaltending over the last few years. they only give up 18 SOG, but get scored on 3 times. seems to happen so often to them. they frequently give up less then 20 shots against, but allow 3+ goals scored. Allen and Elliott aren't the answer. they need better goaltending.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
agree. they do not have solid goaltending. last night was the perfect example of typical Blues goaltending over the last few years. they only give up 18 SOG, but get scored on 3 times. seems to happen so often to them. they frequently give up less then 20 shots against, but allow 3+ goals scored. Allen and Elliott aren't the answer. they need better goaltending.

Isn't Allen a rookie playing in his first NHL playoff series? If so, I'd say you're being a bit rough on him. And, even if not, he's been playing about as well as Dubnyk has -- and I'm not just talking about the stat line.

I've only seen him play in games against the Wild, but from what I see, he's not the reason the series is where it is. It's not like these games are ending 5-4 on weak goals; the problem seems to lie elsewhere. Can't expect to win very many games with only one goal.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
What exactly are the expectations for the St. Louis Blues?

Who's expectations?

My own? I picked them for the SCF this spring. Still think whoever emerges from this series in playing in June.

As for the Blues franchise themselves? You have this roster and you aim for anything less than the SCF and you are underachievers. Undoubtedly, they are not.

The idea of advancing a round or getting to the WCF is aiming low.

So yes, pressure is on, expectations high. Rightly so.

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Isn't Allen a rookie playing in his first NHL playoff series? If so, I'd say you're being a bit rough on him. And, even if not, he's been playing about as well as Dubnyk has -- and I'm not just talking about the stat line.

I've only seen him play in games against the Wild, but from what I see, he's not the reason the series is where it is. It's not like these games are ending 5-4 on weak goals; the problem seems to lie elsewhere. Can't expect to win very many games with only one goal.

I don't know if I buy that rookie excuse. Hextall won the Conn Smythe as a rookie. I think Roy did as well. many rookie goalies have great playoff runs. Darling seems to be doing just fine with the Hawks right now too.

I agree though that it's not all on the goaltending. Hitch is a problem. he runs out his welcome with teams very fast because he pushes them too hard during the regular season and they end up running out of gas in the playoffs.

imo, they need a #1 center. a new coach. and improve their goaltending. Allen may be good someday, but he's not ready now.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

He's had one bad game of five. His save percentage is .02 in this series is lower than his during the regular season.

Dubynk's save percentage is under .9 right now. He's a good goalie. But to say Allen hasn't been good this series while Dubynk has is ludicrous.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
In the past 11 seasons, they've only won 1 playoff series (in 2011/12), and they followed up that win by getting swept in the 2nd round. I think, with so many disappointing playoffs despite plenty of strong teams, if they go out in the 1st round again, that's clearly bad, and moves would likely be made.

With that being said, their window is hardly closing, most of their best players are 22-27 (Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Schwartz, Oshie, Lehtera, Berglund, Jaskin, etc.). I'd say if they lose in the 2nd round (likely to the Hawks), that'd be understandable, it's really only a 1st round loss that would cause a shakeup IMO.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
In the past 11 seasons, they've only won 1 playoff series (in 2011/12), and they followed up that win by getting swept in the 2nd round. I think, with so many disappointing playoffs despite plenty of strong teams, if they go out in the 1st round again, that's clearly bad, and moves would likely be made.

With that being said, their window is hardly closing, most of their best players are 22-27 (Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Schwartz, Oshie, Lehtera, Berglund, Jaskin, etc.). I'd say if they lose in the 2nd round (likely to the Hawks), that'd be understandable, it's really only a 1st round loss that would cause a shakeup IMO.

Wow.

That's got to be a mistake, right? I knew they had a choker label but never did the legwork to find that out.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL

He has been great until last night, not sure what your talking about

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
My expectations and I think most Blues fans for the season were at least WCF, it looks like its gonna be tough to do, credit to the Wild. It might not be Hitch's fault but if we lose again in the first round he has to go, its just not acceptable to keep getting knocked out in the first round despite who we play. Also expect to move out Oshie and JBow, and hopefully strip Backes of the captiancy.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
My expectations and I think most Blues fans for the season were at least WCF, it looks like its gonna be tough to do, credit to the Wild. It might not be Hitch's fault but if we lose again in the first round he has to go, its just not acceptable to keep getting knocked out in the first round despite who we play. Also expect to move out Oshie and JBow, and hopefully strip Backes of the captiancy.

Just trade Backes to the leafs.

You'd make a killing.

journeyman79

May 29, 2009
Wow.

That's got to be a mistake, right? I knew they had a choker label but never did the legwork to find that out.

Dude, did you just start watching hockey over the last few years? Blues went through this thing called a rebuild. Up until 2012, they didn't even make the playoffs because they were rebuilding.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I've always said that the first round would be the hardest for the Blues. There's still a chance they can prove that this team is different and come back to beat Minnesota. If they're able to do that, I don't think there is any stopping them.

Slick Willy*

Stanley Cup or bust.

I wonder how all the Blues fans are feeling now - the ones who were saying they wanted us (the Wild) in the first round? :sarcasm:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really think they need to find a #1 center.

Malkin is tough to get, but both Pittsburgh and St. Louis need a shakeup...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad