What exactly are the expectations for the St. Louis Blues?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Is it cup or bust for them? If they dont win the cup, or at least make the SCF, will Hitch have seen this season as not meeting their expectations?

Is there not a single team in this post season with higher expectations than the blues?

Many critics have chosen the blues to win the cup this year.

On paper, this team is stacked with literally no holes. They have what 9 top 6 forwards and a healthy Paul Stastny now?

4 line offense - check
Balanced defense core - check
One of the best systems - check
Solid goaltending - check
Experience - check

The only thing that I feel this team lacks is a real superstar forward. But history has proven that you dont need a superstar to win cups. Does it help? Forsure, but you can still win without superstars. The blues are loaded with stars, but no superstars...but still very capable going all the way as long as someone on this team takes the bull by its horns and shows them how to win.

IMO, that person has to be Hitch. 2 cups, and has a proven playoff and international tourney track record. Hitch is still one of the best technical coaches today and he still knows how to win. Every team he has coached, he has made a drastic difference in not only the teams success but players growth and success - Modano, Nash, Johanson, Giroux, Voracek, Carter, Richards, Oshie, Tarasenko, etc.

Since 2004, Hitchcock's teams are 1-6 in playoff series; outside of this series, they're 10-21 overall in 31 games.

NYR90

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
I picked Minnesota to beat them in the first round. They have the roster to be in the Cup Finals. But they're the Blues, so at best second round exit. I just like the Wild this year mixed with what the Blues normally do in the playoffs. And after this early playoff exit the excuse of "well we ran into LA/Chicago" won't hold water.

This all imo... and I really would like to see St Louis win a cup. That'd be cool.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I picked Minnesota to beat them in the first round. They have the roster to be in the Cup Finals. But they're the Blues, so at best second round exit. I just like the Wild this year mixed with what the Blues normally do in the playoffs. And after this early playoff exit the excuse of "well we ran into LA/Chicago" won't hold water.

This all imo... and I really would like to see St Louis win a cup. That'd be cool.

No it won't. Which is why, if they lose this series, big changes better be made.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If you're expecting something from the Blues in the playoffs, you'll constantly be left disappointed. Very demoralizing as a Blues fan to see this team crumble year after year when it matters. I think once the old core is moved out, mainly Backes and Oshie, this team can adopt a new identity and perhaps find success in the postseason. Until then, likely dark times ahead.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
He is carrying the team offensively though. He has 9 goals in 11 playoffs games and a lot of those goals are huge goals. He IS known to step it up when it matters which is what you said the team doesn't have.

Okay, but he needs a supporting cast. Cause even if the blues get past the wild, chances are they will have to face either the Ducks or Hawks or even both on the way. Hawks and Ducks will shut down Tarasenko and wheres the offense gonna come from? You wont go far without secondary scoring. The blues have enough skill up front to provide this, they just need to do it.

The blues are one of the best teams in transition and have one of the most mobile D. There is no reason they shouldnt be providing secondary scoring, even if it means its from their blueline.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
This is a team that should be going conference finals at least on paper if you judge by the regular season.

They are lead by too many big game ghosts though (Backes, Oshie, Bouwmeester) and a coach who has a poor record in the playoffs as well.

This leads to them getting booted in the first couple rounds again and again.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Since 2004, Hitchcock's teams are 1-6 in playoff series; outside of this series, they're 10-21 overall in 31 games.

Okay, Hitch hasnt been great as of late, but he has 2 cups and knows how to win. This guy was a true mentor in Dallas for many many years. He literally molded Mike Modano into the player that he was.

I can gaurentee that if they fire him, Elliott (or any goalie for that matter) will not be putting up Elliots recent numbers in St Louis.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Okay, but he needs a supporting cast. Cause even if the blues get past the wild, chances are they will have to face either the Ducks or Hawks or even both on the way. Hawks and Ducks will shut down Tarasenko and wheres the offense gonna come from? You wont go far without secondary scoring. The blues have enough skill up front to provide this, they just need to do it.

The blues are one of the best teams in transition and have one of the most mobile D. There is no reason they shouldnt be providing secondary scoring, even if it means its from their blueline.

So now you're changing your argument to secondary scoring? First you said they don't have a player who steps it up in the playoffs and when I proved they did, you changed it to this. Also, he had 4 goals in 6 games against the Hawks last year and almost all those were big goals so there goes that theory as well.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Dont discredit the Wild, they are a very VERY good team. They are just about as deep as the Blues are up front and have a guy by the name of Ryan Suter on the backend who is a gamebreaker.

The wild took the Hawks to 7 games last post season and were 1 game away from going to the WCF. This is a very dangerous team who has underachieved in the first half of this season and when they acquired Dubynk, they went on a seriously impressive run and literally turned their season around.

wild lost to Hawks in 6 last year in OT off crazy bounce. Was very closely fought series. This years version is much better with Dubynk as opposed to Bryz and more forward depth and a better Dumba.

As for Blues they played excellent tonight I thought and deserved to win. On paper this team is nearly perfect (though I do think beyond Pietro/Shattenkirk the blueline is a bit overrated) and often plays at a level that can't be matched in this league. But when the going gets tough, they seem to falter.

One thing to note about the Blues' opponent is that we have like 3 or 4 former captains in Koivu, Parise, Suter, Pominville. Wild have a lot of leadership and that stuff matters, especially in postseason. As others have deduced, this HAS to be the issue with St. Louis along with their terrible luck in matchups over the years. They should win a cup here soon. Too much talent not to.

Wouldn't move Backes. Gets hate for lack of offense but like Koivu he's tasked with neutralizing the oppositions best line and does so admirably. He's a spaz and possibly part of leadership issue but Blues would miss him right away if they dealt him IMO

Oshie's game is bad for playoffs. Don't think it's an effort thing as some in this thread have speculated. It's just the dipsy doodle dangly style he plays won't work on guys in playoffs where everyone (except Vanek) gives 110% effort and is hyper-focused. But he's not dogging it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Dont discredit the Wild, they are a very VERY good team. They are just about as deep as the Blues are up front and have a guy by the name of Ryan Suter on the backend who is a gamebreaker.

The wild took the Hawks to 7 games last post season and were 1 game away from going to the WCF. This is a very dangerous team who has underachieved in the first half of this season and when they acquired Dubynk, they went on a seriously impressive run and literally turned their season around.
Wild brought the Hawks to 6 games, but the point is correct.

In my biased(as a Wild fan) these are the two best teams in the west. Whoever wins is going to end up repping the West in the Cup Finals. Sucks that one will be eliminated early but it is what it is.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Okay, Hitch hasnt been great as of late, but he has 2 cups and knows how to win. This guy was a true mentor in Dallas for many many years. He literally molded Mike Modano into the player that he was.

I can gaurentee that if they fire him, Elliott (or any goalie for that matter) will not be putting up Elliots recent numbers in St Louis.

One, not two.

Regardless, it's tough to argue that since the 04 lockout, his teams have routinely come up short. He was 47-33 in Dallas (10-4 in playoff series) and 17-14 in Philly (3-2 in series), and since then the postseason performance has not been there.

The patterns are all over the place. Columbus was 5-4-4 in their last 13 games going into the playoffs, then got hammered by Detroit. St. Louis in 2012 was 4-4-4 in their last 12, beat San Jose in five games, then got destroyed by Los Angeles. In 2013 they were 12-3-0 in their last 15, won the first two against the Kings, then lost four straight. Last year they lost the last six going into the playoffs, beat Chicago in the first two, then got bounced with four straight losses.

The only thing that I've ever noticed about Hitchcock is that his teams tend to be really streaky, and their fortunes can reverse direction (either way) seemingly in the blink of an eye. I have no idea why.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
i thought we knew this already.

No one should expect anything from the blues. We already know from the future (when hockey takes over the world) that the Blues are the only team that never wins the cup.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Far too soon to put this much pressure on him to carry the team offensively.

The blues have 3 Team USA players (Oshie, Backes, Stastny), these guys have chemistry, they need to perform better.

This team really could benefit greatly with a guy by the name of Phil Kessel on their top line. Adding him would make this team that much better and scary offensively. I still think the Blues should have made a serious run for him last dead line.

It's not too soon. He's going on 24. Toews already was captain with a Conn Smythe by then. He's up to it. He's been a dynamo all year, playoffs included. He needs supporting goal scorers, but he's absolutely ready to lead the way offensively. He creates more scoring chances than anyone on the team, by far.

Stastny doesn't really have chemistry with anyone on the roster. I don't know what you're talking about there. Backes and Oshie have chemistry together. They're completely in sync in producing scoring chances during the regular season, and completely in sync in not showing up in the playoffs.

We need better wing play. Oshie no shows every playoffs. Jaskin isn't ready this year. Bergie doesn't create very many scoring chances, and his shot is only so good. As much as I love Backes, he needs to lose the C if we lose this series. Such is the cost of a leadership role. And everyone knows my thoughts on Hitch. Dude is on his last chance in St. Louis. If he doesn't make the WCF, he needs to check the departure flights next time he comes back to town. Bye Felicia.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The Blues look like they are underachieving. If it is mostly on their top guys or on Hitch is worth a discussion.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
4 line offense - check
Balanced defense core - check
One of the best systems - check
Solid goaltending - check
Experience - check

Might have something to do with their opponent also having all of these. I'd even argue Minnesota's 4th line gives them an edge in "4 line offense."

Porter-Ott-Reaves
VS
Bergenheim/Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

We all know which of these two lines is more offensively consistent.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I had them penciled in for the Finals against the Rangers when I filled out my NHL playoff bracket. Not looking good :laugh::laugh:. I seriously thought they wouldn't have too much trouble taking out the Wild in the 1st round (had them in 6) but I guess I was wrong ...

Every year I tell myself the Blues are just too solid to lose in the playoffs and every year it's a damn letdown :cry:. They're gonna ruin my whole bracket if they lose the series vs the Wild :cry:.

Tarasenko is the whole team right now :laugh:.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Disappointment.

Seriously, they've fooled me repeatedly and like a moron I'd keep saying "well they have to do it eventually". I figured since this was the first time in a while that I haven't picked them to make big noise in the playoffs, that they would actually go out and win something just to keep frustrating me.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Might have something to do with their opponent also having all of these. I'd even argue Minnesota's 4th line gives them an edge in "4 line offense."

Porter-Ott-Reaves
VS
Bergenheim/Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

We all know which of these two lines is more offensively consistent.

The Wild had 3 players over 50 points this year. That shouldn't be good enough to beat a team with 5 and a near PPG forward. The knock on the Blues in previous years was no game breaker. Now they have it, and they're losing to a team without one.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The Wild had 3 players over 50 points this year. That shouldn't be good enough to beat a team with 5 and a near PPG forward. The knock on the Blues in previous years was no game breaker. Now they have it, and they're losing to a team without one.

They "shouldn't" but that is actual scoring depth and disciplined hockey. Blues are trying to play like they do in the regular season and take a physical game approach. They get torched by actual speed coming into the neutral zone and end up flat footed when it isn't their top tier guys out there. Tie in the fact their "4th line" averages less than 10 minutes a game and has a goon player who already has 2 misconduct penalties (both of which were in the final minute in the games) in 6 games, should tell you a lot of what that line is really out there to do.

Shattenkirk, Tarasenko and Allen are keeping that team in this series. The Wild have found a way to score when it isn't their core players. Which is the same thing that happened to Colorado last year.

You are right though. The Wild do not have a single game breaker. And they don't need it either. Cohesive play across the entire roster is what is winning these games, not just one player. Take away the Russian and this series is already over.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Detroit was always their roadblock. Then those reigns were handed down to Chicago once Detroit departed for the East.

Put it this way...they should be WCF or bust with Weber hurt and Chicago currently starting Scott Darling in goal. Gaining the #1 seed in that bracket only to be on the verge to losing to Minnesota? Egads...

Not accurate IMO

Its was a tag team effort by Kings/Hawks to keep Blues down over last 3 years ;)

This year the Wild tagged in to try and complete the task

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3