Speculation: What does the future hold for Matt Murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Random thoughts...
Letang isn't getting traded people, not unless someone overpays, alot.

I also think MAF will be bought out, but while my nostalgia would like to see him in a pens jersey it's not the best thing for our team. On paper if Fleury is a 2M cap hit that's a fantastic backup option for the $$$, but the reality is he would be the starter and if he wasn't would loom large over any mistake Jarry might make with our yinzer fans. So for those reasons we really don't want him. That and the hfboards would have endless Jarry vs Fleury threads.

Colorado makes the most sense out of any one for a landing spot for Murray. Ya gotta think he's dealt before the draft so next few weeks.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Just for fun, is this fair value?

To WSH:
Letang (2@$7.25)
Johnson (3@$3.25)
To PIT:
Orlov (3@$5.1)
Eller (3@$3.5)
#1 (24th)

To MIN:
Murray (RFA)
Bjugstad (1@$4.1)
Aston-Reese (1@$1.0)
#1 (24th)
To PIT:
Brodin (1@$4.167)
Dubnyk @ 50% (1@$2.165)
Greenway (RFA)

Zucker Crosby Kapanen
Guentzel Malkin Rust
McCann Eller Hornqvist
Greenway Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

Brodin Orlov
Dumoulin Marino
Pettersson UFA
Riikola Ruhwedel

Jarry
Dubnyk

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like Krug, but he is a left shot. Not sure he adds a lot to our PP tbh.

He is also a bit of an adventure at 5v5.

He'd be awesome here, LHS or not. He's a legit PP QB.

But in no way is he a guy you bring in and move Letang out. They're like polar opposite hockey players lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just for fun, is this fair value?

To WSH:
Letang (2@$7.25)
Johnson (3@$3.25)
To PIT:
Orlov (3@$5.1)
Eller (3@$3.5)
#1 (24th)

To MIN:
Murray (RFA)
Bjugstad (1@$4.1)
Aston-Reese (1@$1.0)
#1 (24th)
To PIT:
Brodin (1@$4.167)
Dubnyk @ 50% (1@$2.165)
Greenway (RFA)

Zucker Crosby Kapanen
Guentzel Malkin Rust
McCann Eller Hornqvist
Greenway Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

Brodin Orlov
Dumoulin Marino
Pettersson UFA
Riikola Ruhwedel

Jarry
Dubnyk

Orlov is barely a # 3 let alone a # 1.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
'We want him back': Canucks trying to re-sign goalie Jacob Markstrom - TSN.ca

Lehner staying in Vegas and Markstrom staying in Vancouver makes the "Murray's value is low because of the market" takes look pretty bad :laugh:
I don't recall those teams being in the running for Murray to begin with. Vancouver I don't think was ever attached outside of some blokes here thinking "Hmm...what if" in a way to get Boeser for our dream Pens team.

But really, I just didn't see that as an option and I have heard zero, absolutely zero rumblings of Murray from the media here in Vancouver this whole time, so that means nothing mate.

But I think teams like Colorado (I guess more smoke than I thought), Oilers, Flames, and a few others are still interested and the Pens seem to want to make the deal sooner rather than later.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't recall those teams being in the running for Murray to begin with. Vancouver I don't think was ever attached outside of some blokes here thinking "Hmm...what if" in a way to get Boeser for our dream Pens team.

But really, I just didn't see that as an option and I have heard zero, absolutely zero rumblings of Murray from the media here in Vancouver this whole time, so that means nothing mate.

But I think teams like Colorado (I guess more smoke than I thought), Oilers, Flames, and a few others are still interested and the Pens seem to want to make the deal sooner rather than later.

I think @Empoleon8771 meant that those two goalies (Lehner and Markstrom) were rumored to be available, thus decreasing Murray's value because of a flooded goalie market. So if both are re-signed by their current teams, that's two less starters available for teams looking for a starter, thus increasing Murray's value.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think @Empoleon8771 meant that those two goalies (Lehner and Markstrom) were rumored to be available, thus decreasing Murray's value because of a flooded goalie market. So if both are re-signed by their current teams, that's two less starters available for teams looking for a starter, thus increasing Murray's value.
Ah my bad mate.

Also, sorry mate @Empoleon8771 ...just frustrated at this tosser on the trade forum that seems to be taking some weird personal attack angle in a Hawks vs Wings trade thread I happened upon, the frustration making me see that post as something different.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Brodin is Dumo lite with a little bit better offensive ability.
I've been on the Brodin wagon so damn long mate, back when Olli Maatta really started to irk me, maybe 2-3yrs ago or more, I don't even know what's plausible to land him anymore or if it's worth it.

I would still do a Pettersson for Brodin swap in a heart beat.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've been on the Brodin wagon so damn long mate, back when Olli Maatta really started to irk me, maybe 2-3yrs ago or more, I don't even know what's plausible to land him anymore or if it's worth it.

I would still do a Pettersson for Brodin swap in a heart beat.

I think 100% of us would do that, but I imagine Brodin comes in above what Pettersson got cap wise.

Reactions: ownal

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think 100% of us would do that, but I imagine Brodin comes in above what Pettersson got cap wise.
Not so sure with how the pandemic has changed the cap going up and how few teams have the cap space and how beneficial it would be for Brodin to go to a team that will allow him to play a ton of playoff games and still get a decent earning.

Ideally, if the Pens can dump JJ, I'd give him 4.5m/yr. Brodin essentially got his deal thinking he would progress into a damn good top 4 LD, but he struggled there, couldn't always find his footing but that felt more like a fit issue for me and his style of play not meshing with the Wild's. I think he'd come in under 5m.

A Brodin-Marino tandem makes this team harder to play against. I just never felt that way with Pettersson on the ice. Also, you get 1yr of Brodin to see how he fits, you also escape the rest of Pettersson's contract if Brodin doesn't do well at least he can walk away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not so sure with how the pandemic has changed the cap going up and how few teams have the cap space and how beneficial it would be for Brodin to go to a team that will allow him to play a ton of playoff games and still get a decent earning.

Ideally, if the Pens can dump JJ, I'd give him 4.5m/yr. Brodin essentially got his deal thinking he would progress into a damn good top 4 LD, but he struggled there, couldn't always find his footing but that felt more like a fit issue for me and his style of play not meshing with the Wild's. I think he'd come in under 5m.

A Brodin-Marino tandem makes this team harder to play against. I just never felt that way with Pettersson on the ice. Also, you get 1yr of Brodin to see how he fits, you also escape the rest of Pettersson's contract if Brodin doesn't do well at least he can walk away.

Brodin can probably get 5-5.5 given who he has had to play behind. I dunno.

If we can pull him for Murray, I’d be down. But I honestly don’t think there is much difference between him and Petts.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Brodin can probably get 5-5.5 given who he has had to play behind. I dunno.

If we can pull him for Murray, I’d be down. But I honestly don’t think there is much difference between him and Petts.
I like the sense of urgency in Brodin's game vs Pettersson's. Brodin also handles players better along the boards and in the corners vs Pettersson as well as the skating, Brodin is a much smoother skater that looks far more confident carrying the puck up the ice than Marcus does.

Reactions: ownal

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like the sense of urgency in Brodin's game vs Pettersson's. Brodin also handles players better along the boards and in the corners vs Pettersson as well as the skating, Brodin is a much smoother skater that looks far more confident carrying the puck up the ice than Marcus does.

Sure. But we have to pay assets and sign him. Is he worth that much more?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sure. But we have to pay assets and sign him. Is he worth that much more?
Dumping JJ and dealing Petts for him, is an increase of 1.4m while subtracting 3.2m/yr, so really you are still left with 1.8m freed up, a lot less of a headache with JJ gone and you have a better top 4 and a 3rd pair you can focus on landing a solid veteran RD to pair with Riikola.

If you went 5.5m I mean. I think 5m/yr would be more reasonable, which then is just a 900k increase.

The key here is we must get rid of JJ as well, obviously.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dumping JJ and dealing Petts for him, is an increase of 1.4m while subtracting 3.2m/yr, so really you are still left with 1.8m freed up, a lot less of a headache with JJ gone and you have a better top 4 and a 3rd pair you can focus on landing a solid veteran RD to pair with Riikola.

If you went 5.5m I mean. I think 5m/yr would be more reasonable, which then is just a 900k increase.

The key here is we must get rid of JJ as well, obviously.

I mean, in this world you live in I’m very excited to dump JJ for nothing and acquire Brodin for Pettersson.

In reality, I just don’t see it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, in this world you live in I’m very excited to dump JJ for nothing and acquire Brodin for Pettersson.

In reality, I just don’t see it.
Obviously not for nothing, pixies. Damn it mate, stop being the wet blanket.

I don't see JJ being on this team for long, I don't know what it would cost to get rid of him, but if hell, JR can swing a deal where he dumps JJ, Pettersson, and Murray to the Wild and lands Brodin, takes Dubnyk as their cap dump, I'd do it.

Oddly enough, that might even be something Billy G could do, his left side would then be Suter-Pettersson-Johnson-Soucy.

You're moving 7.3m and an RFA and gaining 8.5m, 1.5m added to the team but less long term contracts. A goalie JR can flip to someone else if he doesn't want him, for anything really, doesn't matter.

And he'd end up with Brodin and likely a pick or something as well.

All I do is think of ways to dump JJ...JR needs to dump someone soon.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
First domino that needs to fall in getting rid of JJ is removing the coach and GM that covet the guy enough to think packaging him with another asset to get a team to take him is wholly unthinkable.

It's not lip service or trying to boost the guy's trade value when the Pens' brass publicly go to bat for the guy. Sully makes JJ a permanent fixture of the lineup and plays him in important situations all the time. He also says the guy is an unheralded, solid defenseman. That's not a coach talking his guy up. JR drafted the guy 3rd OA, signed the guy for half a decade, and publicly dragged another organization and alluded to personal vendettas torpedoing his effectiveness in Columbus as opposed to JJ simply being the trashcan on skates he's always been.

Is JJ tradeable? Sure, anyone is. Some team out there with a ton of cap and no real aspirations of competing anytime soon would take him for futures, probably. Does anyone believe this coach or GM see him as the issue he is, let alone the albatross that's going to require a payment to get him out of our hair? I don't.

I understand JR's rumored to have almost dealt him in the past, but when JR truly wants something done, he does it. The fact that JJ is still here either means JR refuses to pay what needs to be paid to get someone to take JJ, or JR outright wants a good player in return for someone he thinks of as a good player.

JJ's either gonna finish his contract here, or he'll be dealt by the new GM after another disappointing season resulting in JR and Sully getting canned.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
So an article of Tim Benz quoting Adrian Dater guessing about the coat of Murray. News these days.

but seriously grubauer and a 2nd in theory isnt bad value. Its just we really shouldnt be taking a gaolie back unless there like league min cheap and colorado doesnt have a 2nd rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad