Speculation: What does the future hold for Matt Murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Q. Would our team be better if we trade Letang for a 1st,roster player and we sign Krug for similar money? This is of course if we can get rid of Johnson. Our PP would improve a lot more I think too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Vegas beat writer on the Athletic reckons the plan there is to make Lehner their guy, which still means a starter on the market in MAF, but it reduces the idea of getting a great goalie with plenty of prime for free if it comes about.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, despite those deeply knowledgeable twitter rumors, EDM appears to be out on Murray...the blurb is from Kingerski’s headline summary

“It’s not you, it’s me. I’m not ready for a big commitment. We’re better as friends. The Edmonton Oilers want a part-time starter. They kicked the tires on Murray but Jim Matheson reports Edmonton won’t be on the other end of the next Penguins trade (Edmonton Journal)-“

Reactions: KIRK

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Gut feeling that Murray ends up in Colorado. They have the perfect combo of current/future assets that can be mixed and matched

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Gut feeling that Murray ends up in Colorado. They have the perfect combo of current/future assets that can be mixed and matched

Colorado makes the most sense to me.

They have a clear need

He fits their core perfectly

They have disposable assets that dont hurt their current roster and are not there top prospects. Specifically guys like Timmins, Bowers and any current picks

Reactions: Beauner

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In terms of sheer offensive contribution/ability to transition the puck up the ice, our defense doesn't come close to theirs. Come on, pixie.

Meh. Tampa is obviously a loaded team, but long term I don't see them keeping that D together.

If the argument is Tampa has a much better defense than us this year.

Yes. Of course.

If the argument is "we need to build a defense like Tampa". That's near impossible and Tampa went all in on this year and potentially could lose both Sergachev and Shattenkirk this off season depending on how their cap situation plays out.

A d-core of Dumoulin, Marino, Pettersson, and Letang long term should have a similar impact to what Tampa's d-core has been long term over the last couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Vegas beat writer on the Athletic reckons the plan there is to make Lehner their guy, which still means a starter on the market in MAF, but it reduces the idea of getting a great goalie with plenty of prime for free if it comes about.

Im not sure who would have the room to acquire MAF without a decent chunk of retention. I could see him being an a secondary/tertiary option for CGY/EDM/COL, but again the cap would be difficult.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vegas is going to buy out Fleury if they want to make Lehner their starter, which would be really nice for the Penguins to sign him for cheap :laugh:

They'll either have to buy him out or they'll have to pay someone else to buy him out. Marleau situation all over again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Im not sure who would have the room to acquire MAF without a decent chunk of retention. I could see him being an a secondary/tertiary option for CGY/EDM/COL, but again the cap would be difficult.

The article talked about 2m's worth of retention or even a buyout.

Vegas is going to buy out Fleury if they want to make Lehner their starter, which would be really nice for the Penguins to sign him for cheap :laugh:

They'll either have to buy him out or they'll have to pay someone else to buy him out. Marleau situation all over again.

Why must you keep bringing this up :thumbd::laugh:

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think there are a couple of things here to consider:

1. Vegas is going to want to do Fleury right if they move him. Fleury already has a limited NTC, but I think that NTC is effectively a full NTC out of respect for Fleury. They won't trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go.
2. Vegas probably doesn't want to trade Fleury in the same conference, especially in the same division. I think that eliminates the Flames and Oilers by default.
3. Fleury's contract is big enough that I don't think really anyone can take him without heavy retention.

I think this is pretty clearly shaping up into "Fleury will get bought out". I think Colorado and Carolina are the only teams that jump out that can take Fleury with some retention, with Colorado being the more likely option. But is Vegas going to trade Fleury to a team they'd have to get through in the playoffs?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think there are a couple of things here to consider:

1. Vegas is going to want to do Fleury right if they move him. Fleury already has a limited NTC, but I think that NTC is effectively a full NTC out of respect for Fleury. They won't trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go.
2. Vegas probably doesn't want to trade Fleury in the same conference, especially in the same division. I think that eliminates the Flames and Oilers by default.
3. Fleury's contract is big enough that I don't think really anyone can take him without heavy retention.

I think this is pretty clearly shaping up into "Fleury will get bought out". I think Colorado and Carolina are the only teams that jump out that can take Fleury with some retention, with Colorado being the more likely option. But is Vegas going to trade Fleury to a team they'd have to get through in the playoffs?

I guess it comes down to how much Lehner wants on an extension. MAF's buy out is : $2,583,333, $3,083,333, $2,083,333,$2,083,333 the next 4 years. With so much lost revenue for the teams im not sure if theyd be fine paying that much for a buyout. I think they will try to give Fleury away for anything and only buyout him out if Lehner signs for really cheap, which could happen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess it comes down to how much Lehner wants on an extension. MAF's buy out is : $2,583,333, $3,083,333, $2,083,333,$2,083,333 the next 4 years. With so much lost revenue for the teams im not sure if theyd be fine paying that much for a buyout. I think they will try to give Fleury away for anything and only buyout him out if Lehner signs for really cheap, which could happen.

Which raises the question - what does MAF want? If it's just to start, then I think that's doable for a more or less nothing trade price and some retention. If its start on a contender, then I think maybe Vegas have to buy him out.

I devoutly pray they trade him somewhere.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which raises the question - what does MAF want? If it's just to start, then I think that's doable for a more or less nothing trade price and some retention. If its start on a contender, then I think maybe Vegas have to buy him out.

I devoutly pray they trade him somewhere.

100%. Because if he's available for cheap, you just know what's going to happen.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
K? Does that change the fact we almost missed the playoffs and Perron wasn’t very good here?

I also thought the Brassard trade was great and the Hagelin trade was awful.

No but I mean, you were getting pretty adamant about it being so so so horrible.

But you loved it once. Just like those other trades. We all loved them. I mean, except for a few that eat piss in cheerios regardless of what happens with the team.

Was just funny to see you getting so worked up trying to be hella correct about whatever...even clearly none of us really will know what an outcome may be until players play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No but I mean, you were getting pretty adamant about it being so so so horrible.

But you loved it once. Just like those other trades.

Was just funny to see you getting so worked up trying to be hella correct about whatever...even clearly none of us really will know what an outcome may be until players play.

I was defending Rutherford so not really sure what you are on about.

Someone said we always won trades with Edmonton and I said Perron wasn't necessarily a win, but the whole conversation stemmed from me saying Sakic wouldn't rip us off over a trade given his and Rutherford's history of making fair trades and rarely significantly losing one.

As was indicated in the post you quoted. "My whole argument was that JR rarely gets “killed” in a trade and Sakic isn’t Doug Wilson. So a trade would be fine between them. Try to read next time like I do your posts. "

But, you know. GOT ME! LOLZZZ

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I love Krug. He and Marino would be killers behind Dumo and Letang. Helluva top 4. And he’s maybe the best power play QB in the league.

I’d move mountains to make that happen. A man can dream :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad