Speculation: What does the future hold for Matt Murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He has the pedigree of wining cups and that is not a small factor. GMJR has to move him for cap and quite frankly getting something back to use going forward. In a perfect world he brings back a nice pick. In this situation probably and second round pick with a decent prospect is the market at best.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Keep the tandem together (for now)?
2020 Offseason Trade Possiblity?
Seattle Expansion Draft?

What scenario would benefit the Penguins the most?

Benefits me the most by leaving pitt and taking emp with him.

One... or both may not happen, sadly. So I don't think I win either way.

Benefits the penguins the most?

I donno... some team offering mm beaucoup bucks, which the penguins could hardly qualify him.... that would be worst case.

Best case.... I'd have to think about that....

I think best case would be a team NOT offering MM a high value contract and MM is stuck with the penguins.... that can go either way depending how the attitude of the is for MM. Do we want to keep him / he's great / his old solid self again or this weak, poor glove hand, easily shaken liability new self....

Frankly if finding out is an expensive endeavour then I say, good bye matthew. If he comes on the cheapish, I don't mind having him duck it out for backup with DeS.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If GMJR can trade him and get something real, he will!
Otherwise, I see a possibility of a 1A/B tandem with Murray on a bridge deal (aka $3M/yr).

The risk of going in 100% with Jarry is that there is no guarantee that he is a long term starter. We may as well end up with no competent goalie by the end of this year.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Otherwise, I see a possibility of a 1A/B tandem with Murray on a bridge deal (aka $3M/yr).

The risk of going in 100% with Jarry is that there is no guarantee that he is a long term starter. We may as well end up with no competent goalie by the end of this year.

Be honest....

.... that there is a chance he will end up like MM.

Ok, enough ribbing MM.... but really, even if he does turn out to stink.... I don't really see that being an issue...what outcome can be worse than the past two seasons?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Be honest....

Ok, enough ribbing MM.... but really, even if he does turn out to stink.... I don't really see that being an issue...what outcome can be worse than the past two seasons?

If Murray didn't step up big in the stretch of the 18-19 season, we possibly miss the playoffs, which if we do this coming season could result in handing over a lottery pick to Minnesota.

Things could get a lot worse.

Reactions: Turin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

There is a negative percent chance that Murray accepts that deal :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Murray didn't step up big in the stretch of the 18-19 season, we possibly miss the playoffs, which if we do this coming season could result in handing over a lottery pick to Minnesota.

Yup. Murray was unflappable, and like the best AHL goalie of all time. Jarry kind of sucked in the AHL and looked shaky often in his first call ups. Now it’s probably time to go with Jarry, but goalies are weird and there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Peat

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
So when Jarry falls on hard times and the Cult of Fleury proceed to run Jars out of town like they did with Murray, will they be happy when Casey "Oops I lost my passport" DeSmith takes over as the number 1 goalie?

Reactions: ncm7772

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I said this in the other thread that was dug up 3 years ago:

I think MM the player is fine enough to backstop a team with championship aspirations
But his contract demands aren't going to be in line with a team with cap issues

Considering he did not play in an elimination game I'm guessing the coach doesn't have the highest confidence in him, so he's likely gone.
Perhaps traded with Jack Johnson (who has negative value around the league)
I mean, the coach had to do SOMETHING to shake the Pens up, and Jarry had played well enough throughout the season and in the pre-playoffs to merit time if Murray wasn't getting it done. I would have preferred we also bench one or both of JJ and Schultz, plug the likes of Lafferty and Rodrigues in there, but we are past that now.

Murray is gone. Looking back, Andersen, Jones and Raanta all went for 1st round picks. Some of that value was based on potential, but the full potential of each of them, if realized, was basically Matt Murray 2015-2017. Murray has already done it, and while he's in a rough patch, there's no reason to think he can't do it again.

In the right market Murray could fetch a low 1st rounder. I'm not sure this is that market though.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So when Jarry falls on hard times and the Cult of Fleury proceed to run Jars out of town like they did with Murray, will they be happy when Casey "Oops I lost my passport" DeSmith takes over as the number 1 goalie?

That's the risk you run. Jarry doesn't have a ton of games on his resume, he could crash and burn.
But the Cap is going to claim most other players not named Sid, Geno or Letang

If there was no cap, certainly you'd keep MM

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Be honest....

Jarry may end up by far worst than MM. He has had 1 partial season of success. Remember DeSmith outplayed him last year.

There is a negative percent chance that Murray accepts that deal :laugh:

If GMJR can't get a good deal, he will either:
a) give Murray away
b) Murray goes to arbitration where they give him $5M for 1 year:
1) they sign him (unlikely)
2) they release him

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Honestly if we move Murray it wouldn't be too difficult to find a legitimate back-up for Jarry. The glut of available goaltending cuts both ways; it drives Murray's trade value down a bit, but it also makes it significantly easier to find a short-term replacement.

Either way it's hard to imagine DeSmith defaulting into the back-up role given how bad of a year he had. I can see him going into camp as an option, but not the only plausible option.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly if we move Murray it wouldn't be too difficult to find a legitimate back-up for Jarry. The glut of available goaltending cuts both ways; it drives Murray's trade value down a bit, but it also makes it significantly easier to find a short-term replacement.

Either way it's hard to imagine DeSmith defaulting into the back-up role given how bad of a year he had. I can see him going into camp as an option, but not the only plausible option.

He's also cheap as chips at a time where we're trying to cut some cap and costs nothing to acquire when we're trying to do a shake-up with limited assets; as for WBS numbers, I'm not sure how much weight I'd put on them.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I don't follow WBS. Was CDS that bad?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We need two good goaltenders. If we trade Murray, we need a replacement. If it were merely about money and cap space, I'd probably budget enough for the goaltending position to be able to keep both Murray and Jarry. But it is not solely about money, as Murray (or Jarry, I suppose) is one of the few tradeable assets we have. And we might be able to either get something we need in return, or deal him along with something we must get rid of (or ideally both).

I think if we trade Murray, we should be able to save a little even if we go out and get another able goaltender to partner up with Jarry. Anton Khudobin would be a solid option, if relatively cheap. I like the idea of signing Laurent Brossoit.

Anyway we slice it, we need two solid goaltenders.

Reactions: ncm7772

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He's also cheap as chips at a time where we're trying to cut some cap and costs nothing to acquire when we're trying to do a shake-up with limited assets; as for WBS numbers, I'm not sure how much weight I'd put on them.

I'm absolutely willing to give DeSmith another shot. I just can't imagine the Penguins go into next season without there being competition between DeSmith and someone else...which we need anyway considering Emil Lärmi is the next goalie on the signed depth chart and is as much of an unknown quantity today as he was when signed.

There will be good options available for relatively cheap, so long as we're not looking for a long-term starter, but DeSmith wouldn't be the worst option in the world.

Either way I'm not confident about Lärmi being the next guy up, so someone is going to be brought in who can either back-up the Pittsburgh Penguins or start for the WBS Penguins. Tokarski is 2 years older than DeSmith and is firmly in the AHL journeyman back-up stage of his career, so whoever it is will be coming from outside of the organization.

I don't follow WBS. Was CDS that bad?

He really struggled early on, but I think he recovered a bit. WBS's roster was a mess before the Penguins had to call up half of that roster, so it's hard to put too much into goalie stats on a team so devoid of depth and high-end talent...but statistically speaking he looked terrible compared to Dustin Tokarski (who did only play 18 games). Someone who actually watches WBS games can chip in far more effectively than I can on if DeSmith was actually bad or if his struggles were a product of playing on a team with so many professional rookies and tryout contracts.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
To me the Pens actually are going to need a bigger net presence and puck handling skills that Murray just doesn't do as well. Jarry still has room to grow but he has the goods to be a top end goalie. But goalies are simply under rated as to trade value and when you don't have one, it kills any chance of winning. Buffalo, maybe the Hawks, the Preds and some others may want to upgrade at that position. the question is how many very good goalies are available this off season? Not many.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

um yes, AND don't forget DeSmith's part. DeSmith basically took over the starter role when Murray was stinking the place up and DeSmith's hot streak was what turned our season around. If Murray had been consistently just competent he wouldn't have had to go red hot just to help us make the playoffs.

Regardless of who we have in net, I just don't want to see our starter consistently ranked something like 40th (or worse) in the league after the first 2 months go by. That and it would be nice if our goalie would at least be in the same category of performance as the guy in net on the other end of the rink come playoff time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Jarry didn't directly replace the Prodigal Son, so even if he struggles I don't think the vitriol will be as great.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Guilty by association, if he gets into a slump and Murray gets hot we'll never hear the end of "Should have never traded Murray,Jarry can only handle pucks" purple monkey dishwasher.

Nah. Murray replaced their Big Special Boy.

If anything Jarry is favored since he makes Murray look worse.

The CoF acolytes will never cop to missing Murray no matter what. And honestly they probably won't need to. I'm not confident Murray doesn't sorta just fade into the dustbin of history after he leaves the Penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad