What does the consensus think on players like Adam fox who don't sign with draft team

How do u feel about Fox not signing with his draft team

• Total voters

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Dick move, but within his rights....so a combo of option 1 and 2?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he's acting within his the rules of the NHL. I do wish that all the players we draft if we do draft them sign with us. I don't like what he did, but it's his choice.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean it's not his fault the rules are the way they are

if teams don't like prospects being able to pick a different team before ever signing with them it's on them to close that loophole

Reactions: haveandare

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
As a Calgary fan, he was completely within his rights, glad to see he's becoming something special and I hope he continues this trend. It speaks well for our drafting to nab someone like him in the later rounds anyway.

Sometimes players need to make the decisions they feel is best for their career and development, loyalty be damned. It sucks for Calgary of course, would have loved to have him on the team. But at the same time, teams will exercise their rights over players as much as they possibly can to leverage trades, contracts, cap space etc. without blinking...it's business, and it's a two way street.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is it a dick move when a team that drafts a player doesn't immediately sign them to an ELC?

Is it a dick move when they place a player on waivers?

Teams have zero loyalty to their players (with a handful of notable exceptions, but those exceptions they often get blasted for). And they shouldn't - it's a hard cap league and the goal is to win a championship. That's fine - but don't expect it the other way either.

Reactions: haveandare

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't look a gift Zach Hyman in the mouth.
I'm sure *at this moment* FLA doesn't care.

NSH doesn't care about Vesey either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Players have absolutely no obligation to show loyalty to teams because teams will never reciprocate that loyalty.

Especially in Fox's case. What exactly did the Flames provide for him beyond drafting him? He played in college, which I believe means that he wasn't even allowed to accept money from the Flames.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Fox is a lightning strike, much like Parayko.

Fox is from the East, stayed in the East for college
He is also from Long Island.

With all this Eastern mindset, he gets drafted way out in the hinterland of Calgary!
Most players don't mind moving, some did.

If I was Treliving would I, hestitate to draft another player from NY or the ECAC? Never.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I think if you're going to be a pro hockey player, playing far away is something you should expect and be prepared for.

It's a bitch move IMO.

Reactions: apollo18

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think a lot is mad of it, but how many are even in the Fox/Vesey realm where they just wanted to go where they seemed to want to go.

A lot of the college ufa guys seem to have been legitimately spurred at times. Like their teams didn't want to sign them sooner, like as sophomore or juniors for x reasons. Kevin Hayes had that, Will Butcher had that, and more. It's those cases I don't think there should be ill will at all on the system.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
As a Flames fan, I can't be mad at Fox. It's within the rules and we all knew it was a risk.

f*** Tim Erixon though, f***ing loser.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Fox did it in the best way possible too, he let the Flames brass know he had no intention to sign with them.
The Flames then found him an expendable piece that they were able to get value out of in the Lindholm trade.
He then did the same with Carolina, let them know he would return to school if they didn’t trade him to the Rangers (who he would have signed with had he went back) and they got good value in the situation they were given.

Reactions: Korg

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Make the team that drafts a player own their rights for at least 4 yrs. Don't wanna sign than sit for 4 seasons.

Reactions: Future GOAT

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
No problem with a player doing what's best for him within the current rules.

But I'm undecided whether or not the rules should change.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I said undecided because I dont think the options really show what I think. Cant blame a player for exploiting a rule like that when its within the rules. Its really more that they shouldnt be allowed to do that and become UFA. Adam Fox shouldnt have gottent o choose whatever team he wants free and clear. I would rather see them have to re-enter the draft than just sign with whoever honestly

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
He is fully allowed his choice

however he cant be confused or upset when certain fainbases hate on him big time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad