jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I would do the following...

RNH McDavid Puljujarvi
Hoffman Drai Yams
Kahun Bonino Coleman
Archi Glendening Kassian

Hoffman on a one year deal would be a good add to the top six. Coleman can bump up into the top six if Yams has another goalless draught. Bonino is good at faceoffs, decent even strength production and a cup winner. Glendening is a great faceoff guy and right handed, his preduction is not bad for a fourth line role.

Honestly there are a few candidates which could work but I really see Glendening as key. If we get him on our fourth line then we aren't trying to find a right handed 3C who is decent at faceoffs. I think there is potentially only Getzlaf available in this category and he may join Perry in MTL when Danault leaves.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What's the obsession with Glendening? Please... no. He doesn't play 4C on the Red Wings and wouldn't get the same points here with lesser minutes.

McLeod is fine as a 4C.

Reactions: space321

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
A lot of these ideas are pure EA sports fantasy..we will be lucky to sign 1 of the highly sought after FA's. Realistically we focus on 1LW, bottom 6 rework (use the farm we have some promising guys), and goaltending.
I traded back from 17th to 35th + 48th. Drafted Cossa at 35th then flipped 48 + Koskinen @ 50% + Konovalov for Elvis Merzlikins.

2022 1st + 3rd + Lavoie for Buchnevich.

Signed Armia 2.75 x 2, Oleksiak 2.5 x 2, Goodrow 1.85 x 2.

Re-signed Nuge 5.5 x 4.

Devastating the league. I don't see what's so hard about this. Give me the reigns and I'll get this ship f***in cruisin'.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The truth is we’ll be lucky to net 1 additional quality player this year. If we wind up +2 quality players, Holland is a genius and coupled with prospect development we could be a contender.

Seems improbable or impossible. There are now 31 other teams shopping the UFA market.... We likely won’t get our pick of the litter anyhow— whichever FA winger we do wind up with will probably be decided simply by which one is willing to sign here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The truth is we’ll be lucky to net 1 additional quality player this year. If we wind up +2 quality players, Holland is a genius and coupled with prospect development we could be a contender.

Seems improbable or impossible. There are now 31 other teams shopping the UFA market.... We likely won’t get our pick of the litter anyhow— whichever FA winger we do wind up with will probably be decided simply by which one is willing to sign here.

Yup, this is reason 3893749 to sign RNH, as long as the deal is reasonable. He is a legit top-6 player who you know will sign here. That literally can't be said for probably 90%+ of the available UFAs on the market this summer. If we manage to get 1 additional top-6 player (after signing RNH), that should be considered a huge win. Getting 2 in one off-season almost never happens, and as far as I can remember, has never happened with the Oilers.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I disagree. How many good teams have the cap space we do? It’s a flat cap. Remember last summer?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
If Holland waits for the obvious to get a top 6 LW he will fail; almost certainly to get a guy that can skate and think to play with McDavid as well as have one or two other main attributes will require a trade, perhaps a significant one. These assets are hoarded by their current GMs and not sprung into UFA. Most UFAs you see that will work are either ED"S or may not or will not come here.
Do you really believe the past GMs never tried? The ice for UFA's is tilted against us.

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I disagree. How many good teams have the cap space we do? It’s a flat cap. Remember last summer?

Currently theres like 12 or 13 teams with around the cap space we have or more. Theres maybe 6 or 7 teams in cap hell, a couple others for whom re-signings will take up most of their available space. Overall, theres plenty of competition on the UFA market especially with a new team coming in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Here is my fantasy team...

Moves:

1) Kassian to NYR for a Buffalo's 3rd
2) To Ottawa: Neal, Koskinen, Kahun, 2023 3rd
To Edmonton: Murray ($1.5M retained), Dadonov, Watson

This is a money deal for Ottawa. They would owe Murray $21M in the next 3 years and Dadonov $11.5M.

3) To Buffalo: 2021 1st, Bear, 2022 2nd
To Edmonton: Reinhart

Sign: Reinhart 6 years $6.5M
Hamilton 6 years $8M
Nuge: 5 years $5.75M
Smith: 1 year $1.5M

Dadonov, Evgeni
$5,000,000
edit.svg

RW, LW
UFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

McDavid, Connor
$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
edmonton_oilers.svg

Puljujärvi, Jesse
$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
$5,750,000
C, LW
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Draisaitl, Leon
$8,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 4
Reinhart, Sam
$6,500,000
RW, C
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Holloway, Dylan
$925,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

McLeod, Ryan
$834,167
C
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Yamamoto, Kailer
$2,000,000
RW, C
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Archibald, Josh
$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Khaira, Jujhar
$1,200,000
C, LW
RFA
ottawa_senators_21.svg

Watson, Austin
$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Benson, Tyler
$900,000
LW
RFA
Shore, Devin
$850,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nurse, Darnell
$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
Hamilton, Dougie
$8,000,000
RD
UFA
ottawa_senators_21.svg

Murray, Matt
$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

Jones, Caleb
$850,000
LD
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Larsson, Adam
$3,500,000
RD
UFA
Smith, Mike
$1,500,000
G
UFA
Kulikov, Dmitry
$1,300,000
LD
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Bouchard, Evan
$863,333
RD
RFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Lagesson, William
$725,000
LD
RFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Love it! Thanks for putting this together! BOLD - Matt Murray believer!!!!!

I like the trade ideas. I think Holland's going to do at least one move (Jones pre-expansion draft or others). I am on the fence about moving out Kassian. Think this team needs functional size and toughest especially playoffs. Love targeting Sam Reinhart but I think Buffalo will need a guaranteed quality NHL return for its fanbase if they opt to move him. Gotta sell tickets there - future hope won't do it.

Hamilton is also my #1 Free Agent target. He and Nurse would anchor a very deep blueline. Dadonov is an interesting short term high skill pick up with 25 goal scoring ability. Like it. Nuge with salary drag keeps strong centre/wing versatility flexibility for Draisaitl as sniping winger. Reinhart gives additional centre/wing flexibility with a much needed right handed option.

I think the Oil target a quality right hand shooting 3C this off-season (Tyler not Steve Bozak fits as a short-term grey beard with winner pedigree and some offense remaining in his game). Helps to push McLeod into a development role at 4C. Also a mentor if Holloway can roll out as a 3LF.

With news of a likely five year flat cap, I don't see the Oil spending all of their available money. Realistically two top six wingers (one a value short term guy); 3C; D (either elite or depth value guy like a Kulikov upgrade) and goalie. Trades will be part of Holland's necessarily re-shape strategy - miracle asset sweeteners for Neal, Koskinen, maybe Kassian and other deals for surplus assets like a Caleb Jones for a forward.

Thanks for putting your thoughts out there!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I would do the following...

RNH McDavid Puljujarvi
Hoffman Drai Yams
Kahun Bonino Coleman
Archi Glendening Kassian

Hoffman on a one year deal would be a good add to the top six. Coleman can bump up into the top six if Yams has another goalless draught. Bonino is good at faceoffs, decent even strength production and a cup winner. Glendening is a great faceoff guy and right handed, his preduction is not bad for a fourth line role.

Honestly there are a few candidates which could work but I really see Glendening as key. If we get him on our fourth line then we aren't trying to find a right handed 3C who is decent at faceoffs. I think there is potentially only Getzlaf available in this category and he may join Perry in MTL when Danault leaves.

I like your approach to build out stronger depth - Coleman and Bonino are interesting. Coleman as a swing guy is interesting who I think would bring much needed size to the 2 line with Yamamoto
given a year or so to slot in/develop as a high energy buzzsaw 3W able to move up to 2W as his game matures with more consistent production. McLeod gets lost behind a pretty one dimensional Glendening which I don't think moves this team forward. Myself, I see more of a right shooting, quality veteran 3C as a higher priority balance this roster. Getlaf would be great but personally don't see him leaving So Cal unless Vegas works their magic cap disappearing act. Definitely don't see him moving cross country to Montreal based on friendship with Perry & the Quebec tax situation relative to other markets.

I like Hoffman the shooter but wonder a bit about his wheels and think at his age he's looking for term coming off a fairly meh one-year contract experiment in St. Louis. He's got the sniping, finishing skills this team needs for sure. Any change to D? Goaltending?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I like your approach to build out stronger depth - Coleman and Bonino are interesting. Coleman as a swing guy is interesting who I think would bring much needed size to the 2 line with Yamamoto
given a year or so to slot in/develop as a high energy buzzsaw 3W able to move up to 2W as his game matures with more consistent production. McLeod gets lost behind a pretty one dimensional Glendening which I don't think moves this team forward. Myself, I see more of a right shooting, quality veteran 3C as a higher priority balance this roster. Getlaf would be great but personally don't see him leaving So Cal unless Vegas works their magic cap disappearing act. Definitely don't see him moving cross country to Montreal based on friendship with Perry & the Quebec tax situation relative to other markets.

I like Hoffman the shooter but wonder a bit about his wheels and think at his age he's looking for term coming off a fairly meh one-year contract experiment in St. Louis. He's got the sniping, finishing skills this team needs for sure. Any change to D? Goaltending?

Yeah, I would prefer Getzlaf over Glendening but I think it's not as likely. I'm not too concerned about a one dimensional fourth line. I'm more concerned about winning key face offs and pushing things back to the o-zone for the top 9. There were other options available for 3c, but Bonino is ideal for both points and face off percentage. Hoffman is not an ideal top six winger, he has his defensive issues and we obviously dont want to sign him long term. That's why I put him with Drai instead of McDavid. He'd be too much of a liability for the top line. I'd rather do Hoffman on a one year contract then throw term around for someone like Hall or Tatar. I think we have a couple of potential top six wingers in Benson, Lavoie and Holloway we just need to buy a little time for one of them to push through. I like Beauvillier too, if he could be had from NYI.

I don't see as exciting changes to the D or goaltending. Probably depth pick up if we have concerns over Klefbom. Finding a home for Koskinen is obviously a major concern. I hope that someone would take him for free at 50% instead of buying him out or buying him. I mean Colorado traded for Dubnyk at the deadline, so obviously anything can happen. Smith + Dreidger/Mrazek?

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad