Salary Cap: What Does $31 Mill Get You These Days? Shopping With Ken

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So unless you are a NHL GM (I am not), neither of us have any idea who would be willing to sign or accept a trade here if they have NMC/NTC's. Getzlaf has been floated as an option in the media before and is from Saskatchewan as is Schwartz, hopefully both would like to return to the prairies and try to win the first cup for a Canadian team in 30+ years. I don't know for sure but I am showing what could be done IF these players are available. If that is a bad thing I would recommend ignoring this thread as 95% of it is talking about hypotheticals that no one has any idea as to whether it is possible or not. The hope is that some players see this as a place to win and realize that McDavid, Drai and Nurse are doing the heavy lifting and that they just need to come in as support players for a chance at a cup.

Holloway will have to earn it but IMO his physical tools are NHL ready now. You hope that Nuge returns to his form of the last 2 seasons.
Don't think this is true. Holloway needs to play his style to be effective. Can you imagine him now in his offensive corner against someone like Krieder or....
Want to see him dominate in the AHL first and then progressively make from cups of coffee to 3LW and eventually to 1LW. Thick he has great potential but needs maturing/strength and some experience to excel.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't think this is true. Holloway needs to play his style to be effective. Can you imagine him now in his offensive corner against someone like Krieder or....
Want to see him dominate in the AHL first and then progressively make from cups of coffee to 3LW and eventually to 1LW. Thick he has great potential but needs maturing/strength and some experience to excel.

There is more than one way to develop a prospect and I will defer to the team that drafted him, watched him at Wisconsin and chose to sign him after his first season after the draft. It will be interesting to see how he looks at camp and in the pre-season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe I missed this, but where does the 31M cap number come from? My calculations must be off, and I also know Stauffer has said "up to 25M (with creative maneuvers)."
From wishful thinking that we will buy out Neal/Koski and walk away from Klefbom+Nuge contracts.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
From wishful thinking that we will buy out Neal/Koski and walk away from Klefbom+Nuge contracts.

Yeah, I can't see us buying both Neal and Koskinen out. Neal for sure, but I think we will try and dump Koskinen on somebody with some retention and a pick. Something like retain 25% and give the other team a 3rd rounder. Koskinen only has one year on his contract, so trading him should be possible. Neal also frees up more space for longer (3.8 M for the next 2 years). If you can't find a suitor for Koskinen I think you just gut it out with him 1 more year.

Klefbom contract is the interesting one. I would be surprised if he comes back at all, which really sucks for the team and him, but injuries happen.

RNH will either get 5.5-6 M, or we will sign somebody similar to him for the same rough money (Schwartz or Hyman or whatever).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Our first should absolutely be used this year to bring in a decent player with mild term (2-3 years)

Our first should 100% be on the table to improve this team right now. As should next years 1st round pick. As should every prospect in the system essentially. Everything needs to be on the table to help this team win in the next 4 years while we still have McDrai together. We very likely lose one of them whether we get to a cup final or not, and will likely lose BOTH of them if we don't start having legitimate playoff success very soon. Our window is now, RIGHT now, and Holland pretending he's in this for the long-haul and trying to build a "years long contender" is living in the past. That isn't how the cap world works. The windows to win are very small, usually less than 5 years. Honestly, I think you could make a really good argument that with the cap room we have this year, and the large Nurse extension upcoming, our best chance to win from a cap-perspective, might actually be next year.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
What would it take to get 1 year on Jones out of Columbus? I’m thinking this years 1st, Samorukov and a conditional 2022 1st (if he resigns in edm) if not then make it a 3rd or something. I think a defence of-
Nurse Jones
Bear Larsson
Jones Bouchard
Would be solid. Bear needs no work on LD all summer picking up and moving pucks on the backhand.
Thoughts?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So unless you are a NHL GM (I am not), neither of us have any idea who would be willing to sign or accept a trade here if they have NMC/NTC's. Getzlaf has been floated as an option in the media before and is from Saskatchewan as is Schwartz, hopefully both would like to return to the prairies and try to win the first cup for a Canadian team in 30+ years. I don't know for sure but I am showing what could be done IF these players are available. If that is a bad thing I would recommend ignoring this thread as 95% of it is talking about hypotheticals that no one has any idea as to whether it is possible or not. The hope is that some players see this as a place to win and realize that McDavid, Drai and Nurse are doing the heavy lifting and that they just need to come in as support players for a chance at a cup.

Holloway will have to earn it but IMO his physical tools are NHL ready now. You hope that Nuge returns to his form of the last 2 seasons.
So your basically saying that the circle of players is the same for us that it is for US coastal cities...that the playing field in one way or the other is level and that based upon my observations for the past upteen years that i cannot in anyway decide who or who might not come here.
Yes I don't KNOW that the sun will rise tomorrow!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Might be time to start dangling picks, young players, and prospects to teams in COVID induced cap hell. There should be some good players available. The UFA list is pretty underwhelming unless 2 or 3 huge surprises happen.

It should be the other way around with teams offering us prospects/picks and a good player to get out of cap hell.

Reactions: belair

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope that Holloway isn’t penciled into the starting lineup. Even if he’s almost ready and has a solid camp, he should be sent to the AHL for some pro experience. The only rookies that should be pencilled into the starting 23 next season should be Bouchard and Benson. McLeod is still waiver eligible and did squat offensively during his call up.

Reactions: Anarchism

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Holloway wont be getting much bigger than he is now, he's always going to have to face players bigger than him.

If he's ready, he should play in the NHL.

We should just keep him in the AHL forever, imagine him battling someone like Cernak in the corner, or Chara. Just not fair

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hope that Holloway isn’t penciled into the starting lineup. Even if he’s almost ready and has a solid camp, he should be sent to the AHL for some pro experience. The only rookies that should be pencilled into the starting 23 next season should be Bouchard and Benson. McLeod is still waiver eligible and did squat offensively during his call up.
Why should Benson be penciled into the starting lineup? Just because hes no longer eligible for waivers?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Why should Benson be penciled into the starting lineup? Just because hes no longer eligible for waivers?

No longer waiver eligible and has been a top scorer in the AHL the last 3 years. He would have been called up this year if it wasn’t for the quarantine rules. Watch him play, he’s NHL ready.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Holloway wont be getting much bigger than he is now, he's always going to have to face players bigger than him.

If he's ready, he should play in the NHL.

We should just keep him in the AHL forever, imagine him battling someone like Cernak in the corner, or Chara. Just not fair
The difference in strength and body maturity between ages 19 to 22 is quite substantial.....and for some its not that important depending on their game....but for others its very important. Go back and watch Holloway play.....he is half old style power forward. Core strength will be important to his long term development.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So your basically saying that the circle of players is the same for us that it is for US coastal cities...that the playing field in one way or the other is level and that based upon my observations for the past upteen years that i cannot in anyway decide who or who might not come here.
Yes I don't KNOW that the sun will rise tomorrow!

Honest question, did you expect Lucic or Sekera to sign here? Barrie? Souray? There are many people moving to Hawai'i to get away from the crap going on in the mainland US, is it not possible that there are Western Canadians that would rather return to their homeland than deal with the same especially when they may now have families as many UFA's do? No one said that we have advantages over Florida or California in terms of taxes or weather, there are however other advantages such as those that I have mentioned above and this guy named Connor.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
No longer waiver eligible and has been a top scorer in the AHL the last 3 years. He would have been called up this year if it wasn’t for the quarantine rules. Watch him play, he’s NHL ready.
I really want Benson to make it. He is a creative playmaker from the left wing and with the right linemates and an extended shot could definitely surprise. However if he is here in the fall really think he wont get as extended shot as i dont think oilers present management thinks he is ready.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The difference in strength and body maturity between ages 19 to 22 is quite substantial.....and for some its not that important depending on their game....but for others its very important. Go back and watch Holloway play.....he is half old style power forward. Core strength will be important to his long term development.

And his coaches have raved about his strength. He is physically mature for his age, while he can and will get stronger, he is a solid 200lbs. which at 6'0" or 6'1" is a pretty solid kid. I'm less concerned about his physical tools translating than I am about the speed that plays need to be made at taking time for him to adapt to that. he also has killed penalties and is good at draws, those are typically weaknesses in young skilled forwards games, yet he is solid at both which shows maturity in his game.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I'm of the same opinion. Benson is likely fine as a 4th line LW for next year, and then he doesn't have to clear waivers. Send Holloway down to the AHL and see if he lights the world on fire. If he does, then you bring him up at the first injury on the wings. I think we need to give Benson at least a chance. I realize he is likely a great example of the classic "4A player", but I think he deserves one last shot to stick with the Oilers. It also has the advantage of pushing Holloway down for at least a while.

Now, I don't expect this to happen, I expect Holloway to make the team out of camp, considering how management talks abut him, but I would rather him in the AHL.

McLeod I wouldn't mind seeing in the AHL as well, but he has at least played 2 pro season in the AHL, and has a cup of coffee in the NHL (and looked okay, he didn't get caved in I thought, but he wasn't great either). I would rather see McLeod start in the AHL and put up points, rather than being she-horned into a very defensive role in the NHL, but I'm doubt that happens. I'm guessing they start the season with McLeod as the #3 C.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really want Benson to make it. He is a creative playmaker from the left wing and with the right linemates and an extended shot could definitely surprise. However if he is here in the fall really think he wont get as extended shot as i dont think oilers present management thinks he is ready.

As I see it if we want Benson on the team we will need to let Kahun walk or expose him to the expansion draft. Kahun is more of a goalscorer than Benson while Benson is more of a playmaker.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Honest question, did you expect Lucic or Sekera to sign here? Barrie? Souray? There are many people moving to Hawai'i to get away from the crap going on in the mainland US, is it not possible that there are Western Canadians that would rather return to their homeland than deal with the same especially when they may now have families as many UFA's do? No one said that we have advantages over Florida or California in terms of taxes or weather, there are however other advantages such as those that I have mentioned above and this guy named Connor.
Of course your partially right ...players you dont expect to will sign at times ....Sekera and Barrie took many including myself by surprise. It happens.
But Ovi, Landeskog, Coleman, Eichel.....are you saying that we can't apply some logic in certain conditions and rule out some players?
Of players that have substantial NTC ...have earned them ...would you think that Edmonton might be included on quite a number ....and that players in UFA that have choice and maybe very equal offers from other teams might not chose those other teams most and maybe almost all the time?

You really believe that Connor levels the playing field.
Step right up Bryan ....i have this idea about a bridge in Florida...it will eventually connect two major cities.....only need to sell a million shares ....100 dollars a share....

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It should be the other way around with teams offering us prospects/picks and a good player to get out of cap hell.
Yep. Looking at Pittsburgh to fill that Klefbom spot if he's not ready to go.

Any one of Dumoulin, Matheson or Pettersson could play 2LD effectively with one of our RDs next season. And they're better, younger options than the majority of guys available in free agency.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Of course your partially right ...players you dont expect to will sign at times ....Sekera and Barrie took many including myself by surprise. It happens.
But Ovi, Landeskog, Coleman, Eichel.....are you saying that we can't apply some logic in certain conditions and rule out some players?

When did I say that we'd be getting Ovie, Eichel or Landeskog? If you would've seen my posts on Landeskog you would've known that I said that it was very unlikely that he'd leave Colorado for us or anyone else for that matter. Ovie would be great but likely retires as a Cap IMO. Eichel would be awesome but we'd have to give up a mint to land him. Guys with NTC and NMC's typically don't waive to come here but each situation is different. My team had us adding Oleksiak, Mrazek, Getzlaf, Perry, Goodrow and Rakell (via trade). I don't see any of these guys as upper echelon stars like the ones that you've listed above. Getz and Perry were great but are well past their primes.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What would it take to get 1 year on Jones out of Columbus? I’m thinking this years 1st, Samorukov and a conditional 2022 1st (if he resigns in edm) if not then make it a 3rd or something. I think a defence of-
Nurse Jones
Bear Larsson
Jones Bouchard
Would be solid. Bear needs no work on LD all summer picking up and moving pucks on the backhand.
Thoughts?

Stupid. A 1st for Jones for just one year. Good way of just make all sank. Rebuild 3.0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad