Salary Cap: What Does $31 Mill Get You These Days? Shopping With Ken

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Who's steve bozak?

6M for Hyman and 4M for Coleman are terrible contracts. If we sign those, we basically say goodbye to winning a Cup with McDavid.

What this team needs is a skilled bonafide top line winger younger than 30 years old. The middle 6 will get filled out by guys maturing into those roles (like Yamamoto) or bargain signings (like Kahun).

Well, that's the issue right there, isn't it?

Some posters want big changes, lots of additions to vault this team forward but in the same token, you're not luring any notable free agents to Edmonton without overpaying so either Holland pays the bigger ticket free agents or offers more modest contracts and misses out on the bigger names then signs more Kahun types later in free agency. Either way, it seems like this will be an upset fanbase. Either there will be frustration that Holland overpaid free agents or he didn't do enough to add anybody meaningful because he didn't want to overpay free agents.

My question to you is, who is this bonafide under 30 top line winger that's available? They could trade for somebody like Reinhart or Rakell but that will cost significant assets. Ovechkin and Hall aren't signing here so who's left? Most top line players are homegrown or are acquired through trade, you don't see legit 1st line forwards hit the open market too often.

The fact of the matter is that, outside of trade, if you want to add forwards or Dmen for that matter that move the needle, you're going to have to overpay. I don't see any free agents coming to Edmonton on a team friendly deal. Holland will have to outbid every other offer basically to entice them to come here, unless it's an underperforming player who wants to sign a short term deal to boost their value like Barrie.
If you want Holland to find a bargain deal, it's going to be a generally good player that has had some recent struggles and likely won't get any big free agent offers. Tatar seems like the obvious name that fits this criteria. The other names like Hyman, Coleman, Saad do not.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There will be UFAs with the same mindset as Barrie looking to cash in on a 1 year deal.

Sure but a lot of the names mentioned in these rumor threads had good years and will cash in on that outside of Tatar. Maybe Hoffman I suppose?

I know it happened with some frequency last free agency with Hall, Hoffman and Barrie but I think we'll see some more longer term deals handed out now that fans are back in the building in most places with full capacity expected next season and the NHL new large TV deal signed so a revenue explosion could be coming soon. I think there was a lot more uncertainty about the future landscape of the NHL last year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I actually just posted a mega thread of reclamation projects/potential bargains based on teams that have cap issues as well as players who are either undervalued or are perceived as busts/disappointments who could be had for cheap. IMO if Hamilton is available you throw a Pietrangelo esque offer at him, he's a proven star, but Carolina has ~25 million cap space next year so chances of him actually reaching free agency is low. Hyman is likely gonna end up on one of those Lucic/Eriksson/Backes type overpay long-term deals because of what he brings intangibles wise and how he's likely looking for the one and only big payday of his career, and I don't want to be the team that gives it to him.

Awesome, thanks, will check it out! Yep to Hamilton and agree he most likely re-signs in Carolina - why wouldn't he - a rising, competitive organization and a great region for quality of life by all reports. I don't think Hamilton is/would be adverse to playing back in Canada. Far and away the player and position elite UFA I would aggressive pursue if I was the Oil. Way easier to value shop wingers and the backend would finally be legitimate Cup level imo. Agree on Hyman, I used him as a player type including both the higher salary and term it takes to get 'hot' UFAs. He's Caveat Emptor for sure.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Let’s do the forwards now-

Hyman McD puljujarvi
RNH Drai Rakell
Janmark Getzlav Yamamoto
Archibald McLeod Kassian
Shore
Thoughts?

Reactions: Billy8484

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So unless you are a NHL GM (I am not), neither of us have any idea who would be willing to sign or accept a trade here if they have NMC/NTC's. Getzlaf has been floated as an option in the media before and is from Saskatchewan as is Schwartz, hopefully both would like to return to the prairies and try to win the first cup for a Canadian team in 30+ years. I don't know for sure but I am showing what could be done IF these players are available. If that is a bad thing I would recommend ignoring this thread as 95% of it is talking about hypotheticals that no one has any idea as to whether it is possible or not. The hope is that some players see this as a place to win and realize that McDavid, Drai and Nurse are doing the heavy lifting and that they just need to come in as support players for a chance at a cup.

Holloway will have to earn it but IMO his physical tools are NHL ready now. You hope that Nuge returns to his form of the last 2 seasons.

Getlaf is a great Sasky boy. But he's deeply entrenched in So Cal with a younger family. There was deadline rumour he would waive for Vegas ... an easy and assessable commute from Anaheim and a team ready to roll for a Cup. He's got solid Cowtown roots from playing junior there. I don't see him jumping to Edmonton unless it was a massive overpay. Schwartz is another good Sasky! High motor and strong leadership presence with a Cup. He's a guy that might be an interesting piece. Worry about size and durability but a warrior heart. Personally, I'd like to see the Oil get some more size in their top six and at least one volume shooter 25+season consistent goal scorer.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Stupid. A 1st for Jones for just one year. Good way of just make all sank. Rebuild 3.0.
You don’t think he’d consider resigning with his brother here? You say “stupid”, what are you planning on drafting with that 1st? Whoever it is they aren’t playing in Edmonton for the next 3 seasons... so ya, win now mode is on.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
As I see it if we want Benson on the team we will need to let Kahun walk or expose him to the expansion draft. Kahun is more of a goalscorer than Benson while Benson is more of a playmaker.

I'd have them battle it out for a top 9 spot. Loser goes to the PB, or Bakersfield if someone else really blows the doors off. Having an extra guy with some scorer mitts isn't the worst spare forward to have around. Kahun in particular could be IMO utilized as a utility guy more than he has been with his ability to take draws and solid defensive game. Cheap players with the upside to play higher up the lineup have value. I do think expansion exposure likely comes down to one of the two as I see Archibald and Kharia being protected over them. I don't know if either moves the needle enough for Seattle to take one over a young D like Jones if he's exposed.

It does depend on what they can have on the left side though. I'll assume for the sake of discussion that Nuge comes back because it's too hard to predict what could happen if he doesn't. Assuming that I think some size, like say Saad, would be a good pickup for the top 6 but if they get a guy like say Hoffman than perhaps Kahun is too similar to be an option. But I don't see why you wouldn't let them battle it out regardless as competition is a good thing and they're RFA's who should be cheap.

Benson I think should get a look regardless, his production in the AHL is too good to ignore and he seems to be improving the areas he needs to address in terms of skating and shot. His injury woes in junior always meant he was likely to arrive a little late and I think he deserves a legit shot at this point. But i've been saying that for awhile and it's kinda old now. lol.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd have them battle it out for a top 9 spot. Loser goes to the PB, or Bakersfield if someone else really blows the doors off. Having an extra guy with some scorer mitts isn't the worst spare forward to have around. Kahun in particular could be IMO utilized as a utility guy more than he has been with his ability to take draws and solid defensive game. Cheap players with the upside to play higher up the lineup have value. I do think expansion exposure likely comes down to one of the two as I see Archibald and Kharia being protected over them. I don't know if either moves the needle enough for Seattle to take one over a young D like Jones if he's exposed.

It does depend on what they can have on the left side though. I'll assume for the sake of discussion that Nuge comes back because it's too hard to predict what could happen if he doesn't. Assuming that I think some size, like say Saad, would be a good pickup for the top 6 but if they get a guy like say Hoffman than perhaps Kahun is too similar to be an option. But I don't see why you wouldn't let them battle it out regardless as competition is a good thing and they're RFA's who should be cheap.

Benson I think should get a look regardless, his production in the AHL is too good to ignore and he seems to be improving the areas he needs to address in terms of skating and shot. His injury woes in junior always meant he was likely to arrive a little late and I think he deserves a legit shot at this point. But i've been saying that for awhile and it's kinda old now. lol.
I doubt either pass through waivers.

Reactions: Samus44

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
upload_2021-5-30_15-35-32.jpeg

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It should be the other way around with teams offering us prospects/picks and a good player to get out of cap hell.
That's what rebuilding teams do. Turn cap space into futures. This team is way past having the luxury of buying seeds and seeing if they sprout. It won't work putting McDavid and Drai through another rebuild. This cap space needs to buy players for a championship team not cap dumps and players that might help in 3 years.

In a flat cap world, young assets and cap space might fetch players we need instead of dumps we have to navigate around. Extreme example is Pronger. The cap being flat over the next 4 to 6 years could be recreating the conditions that made that trade possible.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That's what rebuilding teams do. Turn cap space into futures. This team is way past having the luxury of buying seeds and seeing if they sprout. It won't work putting McDavid and Drai through another rebuild. This cap space needs to buy players for a championship team not cap dumps and players that might help in 3 years.

In a flat cap world, young assets and cap space might fetch players we need instead of dumps we have to navigate around. Extreme example is Pronger. The cap being flat over the next 4 to 6 years could be recreating the conditions that made that trade possible.

I think you misunderstood me. A team up against the cap would give us a good, useful player plus picks/prospects as a sweetener for helping them with the cap. If we had cap last year we could have got a good player from Tampa for nothing.

We’d be using our cap space to poach good players from teams up against the cap and if we can add some prospects while we’re at it then we help build for the future as well.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
From wishful thinking that we will buy out Neal/Koski and walk away from Klefbom+Nuge contracts.

Klefbom is signed for two years, you can’t walk away from that, and nobody is taking him until it’s certain he can still play at a high level.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Who are these Steve Bozaks and Tyler Yamamotos you speak of? Undrafted brothers??

Haha. Never keyboard on an empty head! My brain reverted back to long-term memory mode with Bozak. "The Steve" would in fact lead today in Mullets Per 60! and be a cheap addition though the life insurance premium would be prohibitive. I'll scapegoat this site for subbing Tyler for Kailer but now curious if a Tyler Yamamotos might be out there to add another high rev. honey badger type option.

:help:

Attachments

• SteveBozakMulletLegend.jpg
    SteveBozakMulletLegend.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Who's steve bozak?

6M for Hyman and 4M for Coleman are terrible contracts. If we sign those, we basically say goodbye to winning a Cup with McDavid.

What this team needs is a skilled bonafide top line winger younger than 30 years old. The middle 6 will get filled out by guys maturing into those roles (like Yamamoto) or bargain signings (like Kahun).

6M for Hyman is terrible but 4M for Coleman is what I expect.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Sure but a lot of the names mentioned in these rumor threads had good years and will cash in on that outside of Tatar. Maybe Hoffman I suppose?

I know it happened with some frequency last free agency with Hall, Hoffman and Barrie but I think we'll see some more longer term deals handed out now that fans are back in the building in most places with full capacity expected next season and the NHL new large TV deal signed so a revenue explosion could be coming soon. I think there was a lot more uncertainty about the future landscape of the NHL last year.

I’d say Hoffman, Palmieri or even Tatar are nice candidate.

but apparently Hoffman is a huge POS so I don’t know if we should sign him.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Nice work/tabulation here but I just can't see the Oilers giving RNH 5.5 for 5 years. Can you just hear the uproar in 2022 when the Nuge gets 6 goals in the first half of the season? Package him up with 3 first round picks and send him to Seattle--- or just fire him into the Sun!

It's a good thing the Sun is of such immense volume considering all the guys that Oiler fans want to send there.
Am I missing something here? Package three firsts for Seattle to take free agent RNH?

space321

May 11, 2011
6M for Hyman is terrible but 4M for Coleman is what I expect.

4M for Coleman is still too much

I'm having trouble seeing how a 30 year old ~40 point per year guy is worth 4M on a semi long term contract. Especially considering the flat cap moving forward. Rather overpay for a top line winger and try to fill the rest with guys like Kahun than to overpay middle 6 tweeners.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Haha. True that. I must have had Battle Brain to go to ... Steve Bozak. Would really like to see your line-up. This is just to start some fun to see how people reshape this lineup. Are the Oil potential closer than we think? Farther? This off-season is a huge opportunity. Let's have some fun with it!
Here is my fantasy team...

Moves:

1) Kassian to NYR for a Buffalo's 3rd
2) To Ottawa: Neal, Koskinen, Kahun, 2023 3rd
To Edmonton: Murray ($1.5M retained), Dadonov, Watson

This is a money deal for Ottawa. They would owe Murray $21M in the next 3 years and Dadonov $11.5M.

3) To Buffalo: 2021 1st, Bear, 2022 2nd
To Edmonton: Reinhart

Sign: Reinhart 6 years $6.5M
Hamilton 6 years $8M
Nuge: 5 years $5.75M
Smith: 1 year $1.5M

Dadonov, Evgeni
$5,000,000
edit.svg

RW, LW
UFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

McDavid, Connor
$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
edmonton_oilers.svg

Puljujärvi, Jesse
$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
$5,750,000
C, LW
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Draisaitl, Leon
$8,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 4
Reinhart, Sam
$6,500,000
RW, C
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Holloway, Dylan
$925,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

McLeod, Ryan
$834,167
C
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Yamamoto, Kailer
$2,000,000
RW, C
RFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Archibald, Josh
$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Khaira, Jujhar
$1,200,000
C, LW
RFA
ottawa_senators_21.svg

Watson, Austin
$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Benson, Tyler
$900,000
LW
RFA
Shore, Devin
$850,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
edmonton_oilers.svg

Nurse, Darnell
$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
Hamilton, Dougie
$8,000,000
RD
UFA
ottawa_senators_21.svg

Murray, Matt
$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

Jones, Caleb
$850,000
LD
RFA - 1
edmonton_oilers.svg

Larsson, Adam
$3,500,000
RD
UFA
Smith, Mike
$1,500,000
G
UFA
Kulikov, Dmitry
$1,300,000
LD
UFA
edmonton_oilers.svg

Bouchard, Evan
$863,333
RD
RFA - 2
edmonton_oilers.svg

Lagesson, William
$725,000
LD
RFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
if u need a break from all this, u have to check out Leafs board. Now the talk is trade Marner for Jones. They think they can trade Marner straight up for Jones. I had to say, "Do u mean Seth or Caleb"
Those Leaf fans are a mess

Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad