Speculation: What do you want to see this off-season?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He has a decent shot, I think he creates a lot of chances with his feet more so than a dangerous shot, but based on a projected 22.5 goal season.... a sniper he is not.

That's not really far to gauge on a players first full season. Stamkos' first season he had 23 goals, granted his was younger but his next year he had 51. I'm not comparing Brunner to Stamkos, but if the Wings let Brunner go if he wants something like 3.5m it'd be incredibly dumb. Considering his production next season will likely match Clarkson or Horton.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has a decent shot, I think he creates a lot of chances with his feet more so than a dangerous shot, but based on a projected 22.5 goal season.... a sniper he is not.

We'll agree to disagree then, I think he is still getting adjusted to the NA game and he fatigued towards the end of the season which caused him to slump and his numbers to drop.

He stayed top 10 in goal scoring in the league for a good part of this season until he went into a drought. Think his release and accuracy of his shot is very good.

I think he is a sniper, and has the shot of a sniper. Think he could have a couple 25-30 goal seasons in this league. Guess we'll see.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That's not really far to gauge on a players first full season. Stamkos' first season he had 23 goals, granted his was younger but his next year he had 51. I'm not comparing Brunner to Stamkos, but if the Wings let Brunner go if he wants something like 3.5m it'd be incredibly dumb. Considering his production next season will likely match Clarkson or Horton.

I think Clarkson and Horton bring more to the ice than Brunner, but if he matches them in goals with a decently lower cap hit (quite likely), I'm good with that. I'd still like to see a another top 6 winger brought in this off-season, but I want the Nose back in the D.

One of the things I liked best about his season was that after he slumped for a while and was demoted, he found his game again on the 3rd line and produced apart from Zetterberg. I'd like him to be a guy who can play anywhere on the top 3 lines and pick corners with his wrister.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Stamkos first season cannot be used as a gauge for Brunner. Younger? Yeah he was a skinny little teenager who had never played against a man over 20 years of age.

Brunner's career path should be compared to pro hockey veterans who broke into the NHL for the first time at an older age.

Brunner has been playing pro hockey. He doesn't have the upside of a teenage rookie. I can see some adjustments to the NHL and a marginal improvement... but I don't think you can expect huge things, like Buffalo did with Leino.

Look at Matt Read (25 year old rookie) he scored 24 goals his rookie season and pretty much put up the same numbers his second year.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think it's appreciated enough about a player acclimating to a smaller ice surface with no training camp and a shortened season with a ton of turnover on a team. I don't think Brunner is gonna be a superstar, but there will be zero replacements with his skillset for his price on the open market.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I don't think it's appreciated enough about a player acclimating to a smaller ice surface with no training camp and a shortened season with a ton of turnover on a team. I don't think Brunner is gonna be a superstar, but there will be zero replacements with his skillset for his price on the open market.

I'm just saying I expect about 20-25 goals next season and while his speed is great, he does lack a lot of intangibles. I 'm not against bringing him back, just don't support breaking the bank on him.

It will be interesting to see what he gets.. either from Detroit or on the open market. Not sure how you have a feel of what his price will be? Could be anything at this point IMO and that's what worries me.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I'm just saying I expect about 20-25 goals next season and while his speed is great, he does lack a lot of intangibles. I 'm not against bringing him back, just don't support breaking the bank on him.

It will be interesting to see what he gets.. either from Detroit or on the open market. Not sure how you have a feel of what his price will be? Could be anything at this point IMO and that's what worries me.

I can see a team paying up for Brunner. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get 2-2.5per. Isn't that the going rate for a potential 20 goal scorer?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I can see a team paying up for Brunner. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get 2-2.5per. Isn't that the going rate for a potential 20 goal scorer?

That would be a good/fair number, I would have no problem with a contract in that range. I've seen people on this board who would be happy to give Brunner around 4M per.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

If you just factor in stats, but Horton and Clarkson do things on a daily basis that Brunner will never do, give their line mates room and get them the puck as well. Even when they're not scoring their presence is still felt, can't say the same for Brunner. I like Brunner, but not anywhere near north of $2.5mm/yr.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
[/B]

If you just factor in stats, but Horton and Clarkson do things on a daily basis that Brunner will never do, give their line mates room and get them the puck as well. Even when they're not scoring their presence is still felt, can't say the same for Brunner. I like Brunner, but not anywhere near north of $2.5mm/yr.

You're not getting Brunner's production anywhere for 2.5m/yr. I think Brunner's speed gives his linemates room and causes issues for the other team. I like Horton and Clarkson, but are their only 'intangibles' worth 3-4m more than Brunner?

crashman

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been much talk about Iginla around here. If Filppula is out of the picture (and Sammy bought out), I think there's plenty of money to sign Iginla to a short-term deal. Babcock is familiar with him, he's got the right-handed shot and he's pretty classy guy.

Yes, he's pretty old, but we know Ken Holland isn't afraid to sign a 35 year old.

I feel it's a real possibility if he doesn't re-sign in Pittsburg.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been much talk about Iginla around here. If Filppula is out of the picture (and Sammy bought out), I think there's plenty of money to sign Iginla to a short-term deal. Babcock is familiar with him, he's got the right-handed shot and he's pretty classy guy.

Yes, he's pretty old, but we know Ken Holland isn't afraid to sign a 35 year old.

I feel it's a real possibility if he doesn't re-sign in Pittsburg.

Iginla is the best FA on the market IMO. 2-3 years of Iginla is much better than 5-6 years of Horton or Clarkson IMO.

crashman

Iginla is the best FA on the market IMO. 2-3 years of Iginla is much better than 5-6 years of Horton or Clarkson IMO.

Absolutely. People seem so obsessed with getting younger, but it's actually happening. We don't need Cleary, Bert, Sammy and Iginla, so moves will have to be made, but Iginla could be a monster on D or Z's wing.

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
I don't know about that. He's looked pretty electric when I've seen him play. I like speed and skill. He would be a fine addition at the right price IMO.

I'd take him over cleary or whatever sure but I wouldn't pay him anything special. The right price isn't very high at all. He's in that prime age area of 27 and he's a one time 20 goal scorer. No thank you. 3 assists in 15 playoff games isn't something that grabs my attention either. (Limited ice time yes but he was a minus in 3 of the 5 games against us and never really impressed me)

He's constantly getting scratched in key games and there's a reason for that. Not the type of guy I want to bring in to this hockey team. He doesn't appeal to me at all.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
This offseason will reveal a lot about Holland. He's sat on his hands last few years, but an argument could be made that he was afraid of what the new CBA would bring and didn't want to handcuff himself.

Well, here we are. Due to the lower cap and compliance buyouts, there's going to be a ton of players available and a shortage of teams looking to spend. Meanwhile, the Wings do have some flexibility to bring on a piece or two. There's no reason why he can't land a decent forward for an acceptable price.

What I'd like to see:
  • Buyout Sammuelson. (This is an absolute must.)
  • Buyout Bert if he's looking to retire.
  • Let Fil walk (trading his rights, if possible).
  • Bring in Horton, Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe, Stalberg, etc to replace Fil.
  • Let Cleary go, since he signed Miller. (Or find a new home for Tootoo...)
  • Give Tatar playing time.

It's really not that hard of an off-season for Holland. The only thing that's stopping him is himself.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA

If it's just 2-3 years, at an ok price, I think Iginla's a decent option. However, there's a lot of upside potential in a Horton, Clarkson or Bickell. They might actually work out real well on our top 6 for years to come. Sure, there's risk... but same could be said with a 3-year, 35+/NTC with Iginla.

Regardless, Holland has a lot of options here. The only wrong one is not buying out Sammy while resigning Fil. That would be an epic fail.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think Brunner can get 2mio per, no more

I think he's worth more, maybe around $3M. He's a 20+ goal scorer, a known commodity and works well with the current locker room. But, I agree with your general sentiment... there's no real reason to overpay. The market is flooded with players in that range.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The guy i keep going back to is Weiss - if he'll be healthy by training camp. Tried and tested by years of being the top center in Florida, would allow us to either play Z&D together, or to use Z, D, and him as our top three centers (especially if Helm is hurt again), and he is capable in any roll - ES, PP, or PK. And if we re-sign Brunner, we could have the wingers to roll three scoring lines like we haven't been able to do for a few years now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The guy i keep going back to is Weiss - if he'll be healthy by training camp. Tried and tested by years of being the top center in Florida, would allow us to either play Z&D together, or to use Z, D, and him as our top three centers (especially if Helm is hurt again), and he is capable in any roll - ES, PP, or PK. And if we re-sign Brunner, we could have the wingers to roll three scoring lines like we haven't been able to do for a few years now.

It should be given real consideration, especially since I think Helm's health is more of a question mark then they may like to admit. It would definitely give us 3 good options for scoring lines, and I would like to run Datsyuk-Z-Weiss down the middle since I'm not a fan of D and Z together. Weiss over Helm on the 3rd line gives you a lot better offense as a 3rd scoring line. Weiss is probably an upgrade over Filppula.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just skimmed the Preds board and it seems like they think maybe one of Blum or Ellis would be available with the amount of defensemen they have. Any interest in these guys?

They are both righties. Ellis is on the smaller side, I think Blum would be a nice pick up via trade.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just skimmed the Preds board and it seems like they think maybe one of Blum or Ellis would be available with the amount of defensemen they have. Any interest in these guys?

They are both righties. Ellis is on the smaller side, I think Blum would be a nice pick up via trade.

Interested in Blum, he could be worked out for one of our close prospects as well. Don't think the Wings are looking D-man unless it is a big one.

Colorado also should have some interesting right-handed options hitting the market if they do draft Jones.

For the epic trolling on both Blues and Avs fans that hate us so much, it would be great to get Erik Johnson and watch him put it all together in Detroit. :laugh:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland

Yeah, I think Blum will be moved. I really hope we keep Ellis though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad