Speculation: What do you want to see this off-season?

VanBrett

Sep 24, 2011
Underwater.
Okay so this thread is pretty obvious because of the title, it's simply regarding want you want to see Holland and co. do this off-season.

Personally, I hope they resign Kindl, Smith, Andersson, Nyquist, and Brunner, and stay away from Miller and Cleary, two who they are rumored to want back. I want them to continue the youth movement and bring up Tatar, and let's hope they buy-out two of Bertuzzi, Quincey, or Samuelsson.

As for free-agency, I'm hoping they get a guy who plays big and is a top-6 winger, as many have mentioned, Bickell, Horton, or maybe even MacArthur. Stay away from Clarkson!

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Bickell
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner

For our top-6

Draft I would like to see them draft a big center with great potential, but even if he doesn't reach it he could play bottom-6 . We have young defenseman and wingers who all have great potential, but our only center in the pipe with top-6 potential is Jarnkrok. I'm hoping for Frederik Gauthier. Big guy who fits all my criteria. As for the second pick, I'm hoping for another center or a skilled winger.

What are your opinions?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Okay so this thread is pretty obvious because of the title, it's simply regarding want you want to see Holland and co. do this off-season.

Personally, I hope they resign Kindl, Smith, Andersson, Nyquist, and Brunner, and stay away from Miller and Cleary, two who they are rumored to want back. I want them to continue the youth movement and bring up Tatar, and let's hope they buy-out two of Bertuzzi, Quincey, or Samuelsson.

As for free-agency, I'm hoping they get a guy who plays big and is a top-6 winger, as many have mentioned, Bickell, Horton, or maybe even MacArthur. Stay away from Clarkson!

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Bickell
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner

For our top-6

Draft I would like to see them draft a big center with great potential, but even if he doesn't reach it he could play bottom-6 . We have young defenseman and wingers who all have great potential, but our only center in the pipe with top-6 potential is Jarnkrok. I'm hoping for Frederik Gauthier. Big guy who fits all my criteria. As for the second pick, I'm hoping for another center or a skilled winger.

What are your opinions?

Forget about Bickell, let some other team overpay for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Boy it seems like there are a lot of off-season related threads, maybe some of these should be consolidated a bit...??

I'd like them to show Cleary the door, first and foremost.

What I would like to see (my personal preference)

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Horton/Ryder
Franzen-Zettberg-Brunner
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Andersson-Eaves
Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Dekeyser
Kindl-Jensen
CC
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah, Horton and himself may get payed some crazy money for their play-off runs, but what about MacArthur? Or maybe even Stalberg?

I haven't seen MacArthur play that much. I'd love to get Stalberg and stick him on the 3rd line at a reasonable rate. Can you imagine a line of

Nyquist-Helm-Stalberg?

Depends on salary though. 2 or 3 years at 2 - 2.5M? Sign me up if it means Cleary is gone and Sammy is bought out.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Sign RFAs (Don't care about Raedeke and McCollum).

Buyout Sammy and don't re-sign Cleary. That's really the only two things I definitely want. Everything else is tentative. Based on how the market (both trade and FA) plays out.

Don't overpay someone like Bickell. I'd be perfectly fine if we didn't sign any UFA (assuming Brunner is brought back.) I do like Roy, Weiss and Horton though. I have a feeling Clarkson and Bickell are gonna get Leino/Ward like overpayments.

I could see Holland going bargain hunting on buyout guys.

Trade wise. If we went after someone like Yandle, I wouldn't mind it depending on what we gave up.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I wouldn't go near Stalberg. He has clearly lost a step and he's been a joke this post season.

I don't know about that. He's looked pretty electric when I've seen him play. I like speed and skill. He would be a fine addition at the right price IMO.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know about that. He's looked pretty electric when I've seen him play. I like speed and skill. He would be a fine addition at the right price IMO.

Really like speed on a 6'3" 210 lbs guy. Stalberg is a top 10 skater in the league, hasn't lost a step at all. This Bollig move is stupid, says more about Coach Q than Stalberg. Q getting out coached again tonight.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Really like speed on a 6'3" 210 lbs guy. Stalberg is a top 10 skater in the league, hasn't lost a step at all. This Bollig move is stupid, says more about Coach Q than Stalberg. Q getting out coached again tonight.

I don't mean to rustle any jimmies here. But it would be pretty neat to have some offseason Avatars akin to the houses in GoT. Guys who follow the prospects, Pro/Anti Holland posters, People who actually watch the games etc. The useless 3rd liner no one would want (according to another poster) just scored.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't mean to rustle any jimmies here. But it would be pretty neat to have some offseason Avatars akin to the houses in GoT. Guys who follow the prospects, Pro/Anti Holland posters, People who actually watch the games etc. The useless 3rd liner no one would want (according to another poster) just scored.

? Bolland or Oduya is a useless third liner?

Follow the Prospects, Pro Holland, watch all the Wings and Griffins games (sometimes tape delayed/archived on those) work that into a whole bunch of patches and cool I will make it my avatar for a while.

You know what I would really like to have happen this off-season is that we stop with the angry the sky is falling posts.:laugh:

Probably not going to happen though.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Sign RFAs (Don't care about Raedeke and McCollum).

Buyout Sammy and don't re-sign Cleary. That's really the only two things I definitely want. Everything else is tentative. Based on how the market (both trade and FA) plays out.

Don't overpay someone like Bickell. I'd be perfectly fine if we didn't sign any UFA (assuming Brunner is brought back.) I do like Roy, Weiss and Horton though. I have a feeling Clarkson and Bickell are gonna get Leino/Ward like overpayments.

I could see Holland going bargain hunting on buyout guys.

Trade wise. If we went after someone like Yandle, I wouldn't mind it depending on what we gave up.

Essentially everything you posted, but with a couple additions.

We need 1 more guy that can score some goals. Bargain hunt for a Richards, or sign a MacArthur.

Make sure Tatar is on the roster. Miller is good an all; cheap and effective. But he's overdue to stay. Nyquist has done a spectacular job, I think Tatar would as well.

Don't give Smith too much security. I'm not saying the Kindl treatment was perfect, but it held him accountable when he wasn't up to par. He played his way into the lineup and has looked great ever since. I'm hoping a full training camp will get him into the right mind-frame and sharpen his game up a little bit.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
? Bolland or Oduya is a useless third liner?

Follow the Prospects, Pro Holland, watch all the Wings and Griffins games (sometimes tape delayed/archived on those) work that into a whole bunch of patches and cool I will make it my avatar for a while.

You know what I would really like to have happen this off-season is that we stop with the angry the sky is falling posts.:laugh:

Probably not going to happen though.

I don't know if you're speaking about me. If Kenny want's to stay pat and not overpay for FA's in this weak class and their is not a trade to be made for an elite forward or #1 d-man. That's cool with me. But when I hear "want to bring back Cleary" "Don't wanna buy anyone out" that upsets me. Stay pat if they're are not moves to be made. Please no re-treads, or bringing back garbage. Play the kids and re-access at the deadline.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
1. Sign or trade for a top 6 winger with sniper-abilities.
2. Sign or trade for a top 4 d-man with QB-abilities. If unable to find one, sign a d-man who cleans our own defensive zone.

3. Re-sign Andersson, Nyquist, Kindl, Smith and Brunner.
4. Re-sign Miller.
5. Re-sign Filppula at a fair caphit.

6. Make decisions about Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Cleary. If keeping any, keep in that order.

7. Play Tatar.
8. Trade Tootoo and Emmerton.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know if you're speaking about me. If Kenny want's to stay pat and not overpay for FA's in this weak class and their is not a trade to be made for an elite forward or #1 d-man. That's cool with me. But when I hear "want to bring back Cleary" "Don't wanna buy anyone out" that upsets me. Stay pat if they're are not moves to be made. Please no re-treads, or bringing back garbage. Play the kids and re-access at the deadline.

No wasn't you. You have been very consistent on Cleary, quite frankly I have said I don't want him back either. But I understand a part of why they do, just isn't what I want.

Just tired of the we are Calgary, these guys won't play for ten years and a lot of the hyperbole that happens. It is what it is. I have my angry moments as well. Made me really angry when Mursak never got a chance, but it happens. It is a tougher business than most are willing to admit. Holland has a plan and we aren't pre-ordained to be the greatest team in hockey.

The prospects are one game from the AHL championship, they are growing and developing. We have a nice base and should protect it and work them in as the front office and coaching staff sees fit. Patience and a plan is a little more important in this business than a lot are willing to admit. Holland a Co have a plan it is the same one they stated coming out of the last lockout and we haven't had nearly as much to cry in our beer over as almost any team in the league. It seems to be going well, we are rebuilding on the fly.

Expect the Cleary extension to be flamed, if Babcock was just going to use him in the bottom six and keep him away from the PP it would be less of an issue.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
1. Sign or trade for a top 6 winger with sniper-abilities.
2. Sign or trade for a top 4 d-man with QB abilities.

3. Re-sign Andersson, Nyquist, Kindl, Smith and Brunner.
4. Re-sign Miller.
5. Re-sign Filppula at a fair caphit.

6. Make decisions about Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Cleary. If keeping any, keep in that order.

7. Play Tatar.
8. Trade Tootoo and Emmerton.

Agree with most of that. Except for #8(Wanna keep Toots, could care less about Emmerton, but he's cheap, plays hard, PK's and I've come around on him). Problem is on #'s 1 and 2. 20+ fan bases want their teams to do the exact same and that's the rub.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Bickell a top 6 forward based on one playoff? LOL!

Indeed.

Sign one of Weiss or Horton, if we can't sign either of them that's okay. Maybe Filppula. Otherwise, full seasons from Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Dekeyser, and Kindl. Cleary, Samuelsson, and Emmerton are gone. Call ups from Ferraro, Jurco, Jarnkrok, and Sheahan.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Agree with most of that. Except for #8(Wanna keep Toots, could care less about Emmerton, but he's cheap, plays hard, PK's and I've come around on him). Problem is on #'s 1 and 2. 20+ fan bases want their teams to do the exact same and that's the rub.

Tootoo doesn't fit our playing style, and didn't play in the Playoffs. Why keep him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad