Speculation: What do YOU want to DO with #TWO?

I hope we do this with our #2 OA in this years' draft:

• d. Stand pat at 2OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • f. Trade down to 4OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

• h. Trade out of the top 5, probably for an established NHL player (name that player)

• i. Trade out of the top 5, for a boatload of picks/futures

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't get to pick #2 often. Who has the higher potential ceiling? I think that's who you take. Don't try and be too smart. If you miss on that guy, or if he's even just not as great as the other guy, then there's really no way to go back and ask what if. It's unlikely the Kings could/would offer enough to move to #1. It's unlikely the Kings trade the #2, as whoever would want to move up probably couldn't/wouldn't be able to offer enough to move up.

I don't know much about prospects, in any year, in any context. From what you read, the Kings probably won't miss on either guy, so we'll likely be happy either way in the long run. It sounds like the potential for Byfield would be higher though, so that's where I'd go. Seems like what if you don't take Byfield is stronger than what if you don't take Stutzle. But again, that's just the feeling I get, not based on anything. Highlights are highlights, you don't get the whole picture. Reading words, they're just words. It's the game in, game out stuff that matters.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You don't get to pick #2 often. Who has the higher potential ceiling? I think that's who you take. Don't try and be too smart. If you miss on that guy, or if he's even just not as great as the other guy, then there's really no way to go back and ask what if. It's unlikely the Kings could/would offer enough to move to #1. It's unlikely the Kings trade the #2, as whoever would want to move up probably couldn't/wouldn't be able to offer enough to move up.

I don't know much about prospects, in any year, in any context. From what you read, the Kings probably won't miss on either guy, so we'll likely be happy either way in the long run. It sounds like the potential for Byfield would be higher though, so that's where I'd go. Seems like what if you don't take Byfield is stronger than what if you don't take Stutzle. But again, that's just the feeling I get, not based on anything. Highlights are highlights, you don't get the whole picture. Reading words, they're just words. It's the game in, game out stuff that matters.

I agree. The Kings will get a great prospect at 2, regardless.

And while some are fawning over Stutzle, I still prefer Byfield for the potential.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Byfield is the kind of guy like kopitar, he'll turn up every night, play well and responsibly and contribute.

Stutzle is the kind of guy who will turn up one night and single handly win you the game, then turn up the next night and his play for whatever reason just doesn't work and is ineffective.

They're two very different players, neither right or wrong just different. They could both end up PPG players but do you want the one who puts up one a night or the one who puts up 3 every 3rd night

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ideally, I would like my #2 to be like a snake shape like an "S" with a soft and smooth texture.

Reactions: lumbergh

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Byfield is the kind of guy like kopitar, he'll turn up every night, play well and responsibly and contribute.

Stutzle is the kind of guy who will turn up one night and single handly win you the game, then turn up the next night and his play for whatever reason just doesn't work and is ineffective.

They're two very different players, neither right or wrong just different. They could both end up PPG players but do you want the one who puts up one a night or the one who puts up 3 every 3rd night

What makes you say that? I'm not sure what you have seen of Stutzle or have heard about him that would lead you to say thst he will be on one day and off the next. His game lends itself to consistency. His skills and attributes with keep him effective each day, just like Byfield's.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
What makes you say that? I'm not sure what you have seen of Stutzle or have heard about him that would lead you to say thst he will be on one day and off the next. His game lends itself to consistency. His skills and attributes with keep him effective each day, just like Byfield's.
Byfield plays a more traditional C role which you would predict to project to more consistent production against traditional defence.

Stutzle plays his own unique style which is difficult to project production against NHL defences. Will it work in the NHL or will defenders figure him out. You'll never predict it but it just seems like the kind of style where some teams will give him no time or room some nights and he may be ineffective, then the next night he'll get a bit more room and dominate. A bit like Jack Hughes, hes got the skills, just needs to figure out how they need to be applied to an NHL defense. Because Stutzles so unique I think youll find the production will vary a bit more compared to byfield because his own style will work better/worse depending on the defence hes up against each night.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Byfield plays a more traditional C role which you would predict to project to more consistent production against traditional defence.

Stutzle plays his own unique style which is difficult to project production against NHL defences. Will it work in the NHL or will defenders figure him out. You'll never predict it but it just seems like the kind of style where some teams will give him no time or room some nights and he may be ineffective, then the next night he'll get a bit more room and dominate. A bit like Jack Hughes, hes got the skills, just needs to figure out how they need to be applied to an NHL defense. Because Stutzles so unique I think youll find the production will vary a bit more compared to byfield because his own style will work better/worse depending on the defence hes up against each night.

Stutzle has elite iq, elite skating, elite anticipation, has a high motor and is 6'1. He's never shown signs of being unpredictable.

I see zero reasons to be concerned. Everything about his game is the exact type of game that can be effective regardless of situation. That's why everyone says his floor is so high and his ceiling is higher.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This is where I see some Pettersson in Stutzle.

He's just so unique that he won't be an easy read.

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
For sure Byfield plays in Junior again next year. What team will he be playing/developing on? Is he going back to Sudbury?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Stutzle has elite iq, elite skating, elite anticipation, has a high motor and is 6'1. He's never shown signs of being unpredictable.

I see zero reasons to be concerned. Everything about his game is the exact type of game that can be effective regardless of situation. That's why everyone says his floor is so high and his ceiling is higher.
...and a shot some say can't break a pane of glass. I see much to be concerned about regarding Stutzle's ability to score goals in the NHL.

Byfield's ceiling is higher than Stutzle's ceiling.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The best option is for Byfield to play in the NHL next year. Yes, there is no rush and he needs development, but Sudbury is such a garbage team. Not sure what development he will get by staying there. Ideally, we could play him in the AHL, but that is not possible.

We can play him in as 3C with sheltered minutes and see how he does. Hawks did this with Dach, so it’s not too far fetched.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
...and a shot some say can't break a pane of glass. I see much to be concerned about regarding Stutzle's ability to score goals in the NHL.

Im not disagreeing with your take as to who has the higher ceiling. I'm responding to the poster who claimed that Stutzle will dominate one day and disappear the next.

In regards to his shot, it's considered accurate but with power. I'm sure he can sacrafice accuracy for power if he needed to. Plus he's really lean right now and will get stronger. My concerns are his lack of shots.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

“If there’s someone in this draft who could go by Lafreniere in the years to come, it’s this kid,” an NHL scout said. “It’s because of the skating.”

This was a quote about Stutzle from an NHL scout in Bob McKenzie's final prospect rankings.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
“If there’s someone in this draft who could go by Lafreniere in the years to come, it’s this kid,” an NHL scout said. “It’s because of the skating.”

This was a quote about Stutzle from an NHL scout in Bob McKenzie's final prospect rankings.

Yeah, it seems like a general consensus amongst scouts that Laf is still #1 because he's a sure thing ie highest floor and certainty...but many suggest that Stutzle and/or Byfield could surpasss him. They have higher ceilings but less certainty.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The best option is for Byfield to play in the NHL next year. Yes, there is no rush and he needs development, but Sudbury is such a garbage team. Not sure what development he will get by staying there. Ideally, we could play him in the AHL, but that is not possible.

We can play him in as 3C with sheltered minutes and see how he does. Hawks did this with Dach, so it’s not too far fetched.
Byfield needs another year in junior. He is absolutely too raw to play in the NHL.

The reason Byfield is so highly valued is his potential, not his current level of play. He has a lot of rough edges to smooth out before he gets thrown to the wolves. Push him too early, and you might as well not take him at all.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield needs another year in junior. He is absolutely too raw to play in the NHL.

The reason Byfield is so highly valued is his potential, not his current level of play. He has a lot of rough edges to smooth out before he gets thrown to the wolves. Push him too early, and you might as well not take him at all.

Agreed. I'd love him to get 9 games just to see what he's up against, and to practice with the nhl squad, because with his reported dedication and work ethic, that would be a motivator.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I thought I was losing my mind there for a second...having a 17 year old, 80-point-in-juniors forward, play directly in the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The stuff written about Byfield on Central Scouting's report is pretty tempting...
BYFIELD, QUINTON | 2016 NHL Draft Prospects
SCOUTING REPORT: POWERFUL SKATER WITH BREAKAWAY SPEED. EXCELLENT PUCK POSSESSION PLAYER WITH SUPERIOR VISION, CREATIVITY AND PLAYMAKING ABILITY. HEAVY, ACCURATE SHOT THAT CAN OVERPOWER GOALTENDERS. PHYSICALLY READY FOR THE PRO GAME. WORKS HARD ALL OVER THE ICE WITH RELENTLESS PLAY AND NEVER GIVES UP ON A PUCK. PLAYS IN ALL SITUATIONS AND CAN TAKE OVER A GAME AT ANY TIME.

CURRENT PLAYER COMPARABLE: EVGENI MALKIN

Another year of dominating performances in the OHL and WJC wouldn't be a bad thing for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad