Speculation: What do YOU want to DO with #TWO?

I hope we do this with our #2 OA in this years' draft:

• d. Stand pat at 2OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • f. Trade down to 4OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

• h. Trade out of the top 5, probably for an established NHL player (name that player)

• i. Trade out of the top 5, for a boatload of picks/futures

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
What a boon for us, getting the #2 OA pick in such a dynamic draft. It seems like every option is open to us, both for us to pursue if we wish or for other teams to try to bid up to convince us to do their deals.

I created a poll for most of the options I could perceive. Most of the discussion is Byfield vs. Stutzle at #2 but I think there are a LOT more options. Let's see what we're thinking on HFB Kings.

Personally, I'm leaning to standing pat to draft Stutzle. But if there is an opportunity, I'm willing to risk trading down to #3 with Ottawa as I want Stutzle at this point and if Ottawa is willing to pay up something of reasonable value and guarantee they will take Byfield. Ottawa has a ton of nice prospects and a ton of seconds plus a later first this draft. If they want the Ottawa boy to sell tickets and fill their arena, maybe they'll pay something.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield for me. Final answer.

Also

tenor.gif

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Byfield.

If the Kings prefer Stutzle and Ottawa covets Byfield, trade down to #3 and pick up an additional asset. Don't know what normal value is for a move like that but I suppose #2 for #3 and Ottawa's first 2nd round pick isn't too shabby. More capital to move back into the first round if they wanted.

Reactions: verbalkint47

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
If you pressed me right now, i'd go with Byfield. Hopefully he keeps growing in the OHL (literally and figuratively). My biggest concern with Stutzle is his shot. Definitely not in the same category as Byfield/Lafreniere at this point. Stutzle is the best playmaker in the lot, though.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I feel that Stutzle is a glass half full where he has good potential, but even if he checks all the boxes and reaches it he will only become an elite player (how horrible, right?). But Byfield is a glass nearly empty and has a lot more room for improvement despite being significantly younger and already in the same ballpark in terms of tools and ability.

I just see Byfield's potential, if he checks all of the boxes, as being a franchise player. Those just don't come around in the draft that often where your team has the chance to pick one knowing that potential ahead of time. I agree with those saying you don't get cute here. You take Byfield, he has all the tools, and you develop him as much as you can and just take the chance that he can reach that potential.

Stutzle may become an elite playmaker, but I see Byfield becoming a franchise player that can carry a team. I liken his game to Eichel a little bit when comparing tools. If he can reach that I'd be thrilled.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
With Byfield being so young and others here have already pointed out, there's a ton of untapped potential there. It would be nice to see what he can do in the 2020 World Juniors Tournament as an 18 year old.

Byfield: 'An honor' to be compared to Malkin ahead of draft

PLAYERMALKINBYFIELD
PositionCC
HandednessLL
Height6'36'4
Weight195215
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Pittsburgh Penguins selected Malkin No. 2 overall in 2004, and many project Byfield to go second overall at this year's draft behind Alexis Lafreniere.
TSN's Craig Button is the most prominent draft analyst to draw the comparison. He called Byfield a "Malkin clone" last summer, and later said he has "Evgeni Malkin hands" ahead of the world juniors. The Athletic's Corey Pronman didn't make any player comparisons in his scouting report, but he did write that Byfield has "truly elite hands" and that his skating ability is the "foundation" of his game. That has Malkin written all over it.
Byfield plans to try and emulate Malkin's game.

"I'll definitely watch as (many) Pittsburgh games as possible just to see what he does on the ice and how he plays," he said. "He's a big 200-foot center, and just (the) amazing offensive ability he has and just how he plays is unbelievable. I'll definitely watch him quite a bit and try and mold my game a little bit after him."

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Said stick pat and draft Byfield.

the only caveat would be if the team that lands number 1 really wants a center and they covet Byfield and the price is not that steep I make that trade.

saying that I think Byfield has the ability to surpass Lafreniere if his development continues on the right path.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
Byfield.

If the Kings prefer Stutzle and Ottawa covets Byfield, trade down to #3 and pick up an additional asset. Don't know what normal value is for a move like that but I suppose #2 for #3 and Ottawa's first 2nd round pick isn't too shabby. More capital to move back into the first round if they wanted.
Agreed. If we like 1 player and Ottawa really likes the other. They send a 2nd rounder our way to swap the 2nd and 3rd with a guarantee they draft a certain player.

We get the player we want and add an extra asset.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Stick to #2 and take Byfield. If OTT offers #3 plus NYI 1st, Brannstrom, etc. If offered that top quality piece I'd listen as don't see a huge gap if much one at all to Stützle.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Unless a GM comes calling with an offer to good to pass, keep it simple and draft Stutzle. If not, Byfield. But no need to overthink it, they're getting a player at #2 with huge upside so why tempt fate?

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I would talk with whatever team ends up with the 1st pick and discuss a possible trade. Having the 2nd pick makes trading up to 1st a very real possibility. If they're asking for too much then stay at 2 and take Byfield or Stutzle. If I was convinced that it's a 50/50 toss-up between the two, I would discuss trading down to 3rd with Ottawa, but no lower than 3rd unless we were blown away by an offer.

Reactions: ibleedkings

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I would take Stutzle. He has elite playmaking abilities and seems like he'll develop well. I just hope he will develop well. Bigger players seem to develop better in our org than smaller players so I can see the argument for QB. But skill wise and what I think would be better for the team...Stutzle. I think what LA should focus on is becoming a fast, transition team like Colorado. We have the type of players for it and it would get us out of the grabbastic style of hockey that has been so prevalent.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I would take Stutzle. He has elite playmaking abilities and seems like he'll develop well. I just hope he will develop well. Bigger players seem to develop better in our org than smaller players so I can see the argument for QB. But skill wise and what I think would be better for the team...Stutzle. I think what LA should focus on is becoming a fast, transition team like Colorado. We have the type of players for it and it would get us out of the grabbastic style of hockey that has been so prevalent.
Sounds like you want Byfield then.

Reactions: KINGS17

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I say at least explore the idea of trading for the #1OA. Blake would not be properly considering all options if he didn't at least inquire.

I am not good at evaluating draft talent so I will go with BPA at #2 - whoever that may be.

Reactions: funky

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What kind of bullshit leading options are these?

Stand pat at 2OA: Draft Q. Byfield, wait/risk for him to develop
Stand pat at 2OA: Draft T. Stutzle, immediate ???? profit

Is Stützle a sure thing now? Byfield is somehow a bigger risk?

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Stutzle is a better skater and his play style is closer to that of the Avs.
I think Byfield has more top end speed than Stutzle. I agree that overall Stutzle is an incredible skater and better than Byfield because his agility is ridiculous. But it's important to also factor in strength and power. Byfield is unique in this aspect and far and away better in this regard. Also if you focus on scoring and generating in transition, Byfield is so dominant in that aspect of the game. Nobody in this draft is better in that particular aspect of the game than Byfield is. And that's what I was responding to.

Also when I think about the types of forwards in the Avs system there is quite a bit of powerful forwards. Mack, Rants, Landy, Burkovsky, Nishushkin, etc...

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I love Stutzle but my biggest win over for Byfield is that he had similar numbers to Lafrenière in the WJC. I think he will be a go to guy and monster next tournament. He’s the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->