Speculation: What do YOU want to DO with #TWO?

I hope we do this with our #2 OA in this years' draft:

• d. Stand pat at 2OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • f. Trade down to 4OA: Draft J. Drysdale or another player (name that player)

• h. Trade out of the top 5, probably for an established NHL player (name that player)

• i. Trade out of the top 5, for a boatload of picks/futures

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Byfield already dominated junior hockey about as much as it can be. I don't think going back there to do it again does much for his development. You need to feel that next level of competition in order to recognize what you have to improve and adjust to the pace.

Ideally someone like him would go play a year in a European professional league (even better would be the AHL but obviously that's not an option). But staying in Juniors is probably the worst option for his development imo.

I like to use this hypothetical, if we have a WJC at Christmas time and prior to that Byfield (or any of our top tier prospects) spent the months leading up to that in one of these two ways, which version do you think would be better at the WJC?

Playing a top 6 role on the Kings with PP time or playing in the OHL?

It's hard for me to imagine that many people would think that the version who spent months in the OHL would be better than the version who spent months in the NHL in a top 6 role.

I look at our top 6 and I see guys like Brown, Kempe, Frk, even Iafallo, good chance that guys can be beat out by our prospects right now. And if you can win the spot in a top 6 role than you should be there and if the Kings have to deal with the learning curve of playing young players in prominent roles id rather get it out of the way now so that these kids can develop. Worst case scenario we underperform and get an even higher pick, then we would have by playing the vets. But at least we let the kids feel what it's like to play a prominent role in the NHL and spend time practicing with NHL coaches and future hall of famers that know how to win.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I agree Byfield needs to develop, but how will he do that in the OHL? With weaker defense and goaltending, he will just do the same old, same old and get his high goals/points totals. If he starts in the NHL, he will have to bump up his game because of tougher competition and not simply go through the motions.

The Kings will have to be patient with him, make sure the coaches, Kopitar and other leaders stay very active with mentoring, and not come down hard on him if he makes mistakes.

I think with appropriate attention and player development coaches he will be fine.

I saw this not because I want the Kings to ride Byfield to the playoffs next year, but for his development and the future of the team.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Byfield already dominated junior hockey about as much as it can be. I don't think going back there to do it again does much for his development. You need to feel that next level of competition in order to recognize what you have to improve and adjust to the pace.

Ideally someone like him would go play a year in a European professional league (even better would be the AHL but obviously that's not an option). But staying in Juniors is probably the worst option for his development imo.

I like to use this hypothetical, if we have a WJC at Christmas time and prior to that Byfield (or any of our top tier prospects) spent the months leading up to that in one of these two ways, which version do you think would be better at the WJC?

Playing a top 6 role on the Kings with PP time or playing in the OHL?

It's hard for me to imagine that many people would think that the version who spent months in the OHL would be better than the version who spent months in the NHL in a top 6 role.

I look at our top 6 and I see guys like Brown, Kempe, Frk, even Iafallo, good chance that guys can be beat out by our prospects right now. And if you can win the spot in a top 6 role than you should be there and if the Kings have to deal with the learning curve of playing young players in prominent roles id rather get it out of the way now so that these kids can develop. Worst case scenario we underperform and get an even higher pick, then we would have by playing the vets. But at least we let the kids feel what it's like to play a prominent role in the NHL and spend time practicing with NHL coaches and future hall of famers that know how to win.

Assuming the CHL eligibility rules were the same during the 2013 NHL lockout, and the assuming the OHL restarts in October (currently that is the plan), we could see Byfield (this also applies to Kaliyev) go with this approach:

1)Start their season in the OHL, play the ~30 games before WJC
2)Go to WJC and play 5-9 games
3)Go to NHL after and start the season in the NHL. Play the 9 games trial (doesn't have to be the first 9 games, could be spread out over 15-20 games)
4)Go down to the AHL for a 2 week "conditioning assignment" (Yes this is legal)
This likely puts us at early march.
5a)If LA determines that either of these players are NHL ready, then they can finish their season in the NHL (unlikely as that would be a lot of hockey to play Oct-July).
5b)If not, send them back to the OHL for the last 10 games and the playoffs.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Assuming the CHL eligibility rules were the same during the 2013 NHL lockout, and the assuming the OHL restarts in October (currently that is the plan), we could see Byfield (this also applies to Kaliyev) go with this approach:

3)Go to NHL after and start the season in the NHL. Play the 9 games trial (doesn't have to be the first 9 games, could be spread out over 15-20 games)
5a)If LA determines that either of these players are NHL ready, then they can finish their season in the NHL (unlikely as that would be a lot of hockey to play Oct-July).
Yeah, I think that approach makes a ton of sense as well. Very insightful too, thanks!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm also hopeful that if Sudbury isn't going to be competitive that they trade Byfield (also applies to Kaliyev) when realizing he may not be there as a gate draw whereas a competitive team could use him for late season push/playoffs (although that's a bit upside down this year obviously)

Reactions: ricardfromage

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If we draft Byfield, I'd like to see us be patient. Most pundits (not all) believe he needs another year in the OHL. And I strongly think the Kings believe the same based upon their recent history. The main issue is the fact as of this month, the kid (and he is a kid) is only 17 years old right now. It's not just physical maturity, it's mental maturity and the seeing HIS game mature. I strongly believe it would also be beneficial for him to play in the WJC or any other international competition against his skilled peers to get the mental (confidence) hurdle off his back if he can contribute at at a higher level. If he can rock another season in the OHL after just turning 18, the more power to him. See what level he can elevate his game too. See if he can carry a junior team on his back to higher levels. Why would the Kings be in a hurry to burn a year on his ELC with all these kids coming up within a few years of each other? Were Hughes and Kakko ready for the NHL last season? Or would they have benefited more from playing another year at a lower level. I believe the answer is the later as they both struggled significantly.

Many would argue that Leon Draisaitl is the MVP in the NHL right now at 24 years old. Draisaitl spent his 17, 18 and half of his 19 year old season in the WHL before he was call up as a 19 year old to the NHL. How did he do at 19 (let alone 18)? In 37 NHL games, he scored 2 goals and had 7 assists. He was -17. He started his 20 year old season in the AHL (I actually got to see him play in ONT for a game) for only 6 games before being called up again and he flourished. The rest is history. The last LA King to play a full season at 18 was Drew Doughty. Kopitar played in the SHL at 18. Stutzle will play this year in the DEL at 18. Let's nurture this talent into a first class hockey player and young man before we throw him to the wolves if we draft him. He's got 20 more years of hockey to play. There is no rush.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
QB hasn't dominated in jr's yet. He has done well but there are a few players in this very draft who have actually dominated jr's in all 3 zones. We can't get 1st overall from whomever gets it (the Rangers are the most likely but the Habs could also be set up with the pick) but we still have the ability to draft a player who simply destroyed his league and has a ridiculous hockey IQ. He has simply destroyed all the metrics too. The guy is off the charts in every area except one, he isn't 6'+ tall. He has just been said to have reached 5'10" according to the 67's but Rossi was the most dominant player in the OHL this year. 2nd might be a bit to high of a pick to take him but if we could trade down and pick up another 1st round pick or maybe a solid D asset I would at least consider it. Raymond and Stutzle are also the real deal but that has already been discussed. I suppose we should also talk about Perfetti though his attitude isn't great as some have said around the O. I like his game and think he will be a great pick up for whoever takes him but he isn't a top 5 pick in this years draft imo.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
QB hasn't dominated in jr's yet. He has done well but there are a few players in this very draft who have actually dominated jr's in all 3 zones. We can't get 1st overall from whomever gets it (the Rangers are the most likely but the Habs could also be set up with the pick) but we still have the ability to draft a player who simply destroyed his league and has a ridiculous hockey IQ. He has simply destroyed all the metrics too. The guy is off the charts in every area except one, he isn't 6'+ tall. He has just been said to have reached 5'10" according to the 67's but Rossi was the most dominant player in the OHL this year. 2nd might be a bit to high of a pick to take him but if we could trade down and pick up another 1st round pick or maybe a solid D asset I would at least consider it. Raymond and Stutzle are also the real deal but that has already been discussed. I suppose we should also talk about Perfetti though his attitude isn't great as some have said around the O. I like his game and think he will be a great pick up for whoever takes him but he isn't a top 5 pick in this years draft imo.

You’re overthinking it. Yannetti has flat out said there’s two players they are studying. They’re not trading down when they can get the player they want at #2, and there’s no need for more quantity of prospects.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Plus having RJ's traded to another OHL contender team, hopefully. I don't think Sudbury is in the playoff picture if I'm not mistaken. When is the OHL/CHL trade deadline normally?

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Plus having RJ's traded to another OHL contender team, hopefully. I don't think Sudbury is in the playoff picture if I'm not mistaken. When is the OHL/CHL trade deadline normally?
It was Jan 10 this past season, so lets assume it will be 2nd Friday in January next season. Sudbury actually did make the playoffs this season. All but 2 teams in each conference make the OHL playoffs. Sudbury actually did okay this season considering they won their division (it is a very weak division, both non playoff teams in the east are from their division). They were 4th out of 10 in the east and 10th out of 20 overall.

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It was Jan 10 this past season, so lets assume it will be 2nd Friday in January next season. Sudbury actually did make the playoffs this season. All but 2 teams in each conference make the OHL playoffs. Sudbury actually did okay this season considering they won their division (it is a very weak division, both non playoff teams in the east are from their division). They were 4th out of 10 in the east and 10th out of 20 overall.

Thanks for the update. Maybe it's in reverse...Sudbury trades for some good players to put around QB, make a playoff push.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
With Byfield, Kings can play him up to 9 games, release him to the WJC, then send him down to the OHL for a chunk of the season, after a contending OHL team trades for his rights.

There may be a finite number of options with Byfield, but it's not "struggle in the NHL all year" OR "spend all season with inferior competition."

Reactions: Jungle Boy

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

They did something similar with Brayden Schenn in 10-11, he played 8 games before being sent to the WJC, also played for Manchester (I assume a conditioning stint), then was sent back down where he was traded to Saskatoon shortly their after.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad