What do you want Poile to do by Wednesday?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Pretty easy to say "Drop it" right after you put in your 2 paragraphs about your Arnott opinion.

This is how it ties in and how it came up-- if we dump all our free agents this trade deadline -- Hendricks, Cullen, Staalberg -- it could have effect on future free agent signings and our FA reputation. The handling of Arnott may have already had an impact on our reputation.

It's damage control. And it's not a good position.

They said the same thing about Philly after the Richards and Carter trades, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an influence on their ability to retain or sign free agents. Since then they lured in Bryz (not the best move, but it happened immediately after Richards and Carter were dealt), signed Voracek to two different extensions, signed Simmonds to two different extensions, signed Jagr as a free agent (he essentially had his pick of teams when he came back), brought in Lecavalier and signed several other, lesser known free agents (Talbot is probably the only other name people give a damn about, to be honest).

In that particular case you had two players who had just inked lengthy extensions with their team only to be traded soon thereafter. In Arnott's case you had an aging vet who was on the last year of his deal asking for a trade, and the GM not only complying with that request but having the courtesy to ask for Arnott's prefered team(s).

I don't see how Arnott's situation, or Dumont's, or Erat's even, will have any negative impact on Poile's ability to sign free agents who otherwise want to come to Nashville, much less having a negative influence his ability to make trades. There is a good chance he stands pat tomorrow. It isn't exactly like Poile to make big splashes anyway, and with the way the team is looking right now (not quite out of it, but not really in the hunt either) standing pat is certainly th least risky move (which Poile loves).

Preemptively assigning blame for what has not yet happened by digging way back into the 2008 file is a familiar tactic, but not necessarily a good one.

And yes, I did participate, albeit it briefly, in that off topic conversation, more or less to clear up some inconsistencies. My point stands, though. Discuss all of the Poile history you like, but at least try to find relevance to this year's trade deadline, or at very least write a few sentences at the end that are about the topic. All too often these arguments that have persisted for years end up entirely derailing a thread. I have no problem with these things being brought up in support of a theory, but I do have a problem with threads being derailed with the same arguments we've been reading for years now.

Personally, I want Poile to work on getting rid of Legwand if they aren't going to re-sign him. Get all he can in that deal. Turn around and try to flip a bottom sixer or two for picks. If he can, use what he received in those trades with a roster player to upgrade our top six. What I don't want him to do is put assets towards something like Spezza or Vanek. Rentals, or in Spezza's case a player with only a year left on his contract, would be dumb. We need young, skilled guys to grow with the young team we have going forward, not aging vets on the decline or who aren't likely to sign with us once their contract expires.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
They said the same thing about Philly after the Richards and Carter trades, but it doesn't seem to have had much of an influence on their ability to retain or sign free agents. Since then they lured in Bryz (not the best move, but it happened immediately after Richards and Carter were dealt), signed Voracek to two different extensions, signed Simmonds to two different extensions, signed Jagr as a free agent (he essentially had his pick of teams when he came back), brought in Lecavalier and signed several other, lesser known free agents (Talbot is probably the only other name people give a damn about, to be honest).

In that particular case you had two players who had just inked lengthy extensions with their team only to be traded soon thereafter. In Arnott's case you had an aging vet who was on the last year of his deal asking for a trade, and the GM not only complying with that request but having the courtesy to ask for Arnott's prefered team(s).

I don't see how Arnott's situation, or Dumont's, or Erat's even, will have any negative impact on Poile's ability to sign free agents who otherwise want to come to Nashville, much less having a negative influence his ability to make trades. There is a good chance he stands pat tomorrow. It isn't exactly like Poile to make big splashes anyway, and with the way the team is looking right now (not quite out of it, but not really in the hunt either) standing pat is certainly th least risky move (which Poile loves).

Preemptively assigning blame for what has not yet happened by digging way back into the 2008 file is a familiar tactic, but not necessarily a good one.

And yes, I did participate, albeit it briefly, in that off topic conversation, more or less to clear up some inconsistencies. My point stands, though. Discuss all of the Poile history you like, but at least try to find relevance to this year's trade deadline, or at very least write a few sentences at the end that are about the topic. All too often these arguments that have persisted for years end up entirely derailing a thread. I have no problem with these things being brought up in support of a theory, but I do have a problem with threads being derailed with the same arguments we've been reading for years now.

Personally, I want Poile to work on getting rid of Legwand if they aren't going to re-sign him. Get all he can in that deal. Turn around and try to flip a bottom sixer or two for picks. If he can, use what he received in those trades with a roster player to upgrade our top six. What I don't want him to do is put assets towards something like Spezza or Vanek. Rentals, or in Spezza's case a player with only a year left on his contract, would be dumb. We need young, skilled guys to grow with the young team we have going forward, not aging vets on the decline or who aren't likely to sign with us once their contract expires.

I agree with you on moving Legwand. But until they change regimes they can draft 1-4 and still have great talent but they haven't shown that they can develop offensive talent. Take a look at Edmonton that is where we will be until we can get the right veteran to come and some leadership along with an ability to score. Poile is not interested in winning. He is more interested in saving money for the owners. Sure they should be sellers but because of the money situation they have to make the playoffs and his job maybe in jeopardy or Trotz's. That would be two seasons not making the playoffs and lean on Rinne's injuries and players not performing up to their so called abilities.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I did not bring up strip of capacity.. that part is appears to be wrong.

I can give you a link where Arnott himself says he was not offered an extension after they disccsuedd it
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...sion_to_ask_predators_to_trade_him_to_devils/

The writing was on the wall. He was pushed out the door. And I'm not even saying it was the wrong decision. But yes, it could have an affect on our reputation in the FA market (and I said that then as well).

you misrepresent

The decision was somewhat mutual with Arnott entering the final season of his contract and the sides unable to reach an agreement on an extension. -

that does not mean he was not offered and extension… it means he was not offered the extension he wanted.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I wouldn't do anything. If you sell you send a message to the team that management is giving up on the season. If you buy you end up overpaying for anything you get. Stand pat and see how the team does with an elite goalie back in net. That is what I think Poile will do.

And there's my opinion.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
hearing via twitter; Colorado offered multi-year extension to Stastny. Hasn't signed though.

If he doesn't a trade could be coming

my offers:
Ekholm + 2nd
Ekholm + 1st (conditional upon paul re-signing)
or
Ellis + 2nd (conditional " ")

if we trade our first we can get a first back from Leggy, or use that first in a trade for stastny and not have to use ours.

others i want to be chasing:

Moulson
Cammalleri

anddd one last note. was looking on tsn.ca this morning and they have a list of guys "on the block" and Gaustad and Legwand were both listed. Leggy (obvious) but Goose being shopped? when did that pick up legitimacy?

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
hearing via twitter; Colorado offered multi-year extension to Stastny. Hasn't signed though.

my offers:
Ekholm + 2nd
or

if we trade our first we can get a first back from Leggy, or use that first in a trade for stastny and not have to use ours.

Moulson
Cammalleri

anddd one last note. was looking on tsn.ca this morning and they have a list of guys "on the block" and Gaustad and Legwand were both listed. Leggy (obvious) but Goose being shopped? when did that pick up legitimacy?

It sounds odd, but definitely makes sense. Frees up big money for free agency/another trade. Also gives an opening to Watson, who I feel needs more time in the NHL now.

If we could nab a 2nd + B-prospect for Goose and a 1st for leggy, i'll be a happy man.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

my offers:
Ekholm + 2nd
or

Moulson
Cammalleri

It's going to take more than that to get Stastny to beat our other teams amd within division. Huge risk for a guy that can walk.

Why are you shocked Gaustad is being shopped? The entire team -Weber,Josi, Jones, Horny, and Smith are probably being shopped

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

my offers:
Ekholm + 2nd
or

Moulson
Cammalleri

Start with Wilson for Stastny

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
It's going to take more than that to get Stastny to beat our other teams amd within division. Huge risk for a guy that can walk.

right but other teams in our division can't afford him.

Cap room on deadline day per cap geek:

CHI - $52,489
STL- $2,424,691
MIN- $3,231,3330
WPG- $5,062,018
DAL- $16,055,664
NSH- $20,504,222

look at these numbers. we have so much room to make moves. Stastny's cap hit is 6.6 that puts WPG, DAL, and NSH in play depending on who moves. I think we have the best chance, Dallas doesn't need a center.

i'm not shocked he's being shopped, just didn't see poile wanting to move him.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

CHI - $52,489
STL- $2,424,691
MIN- $3,231,3330
WPG- $5,062,018
DAL- $16,055,664
NSH- $20,504,222

look at these numbers. we have so much room to make moves. Stastny's cap hit is 6.6 that puts WPG, DAL, and NSH in play depending on who moves. I think we have the best chance, Dallas doesn't need a center.

What about the rest of the NHL?

Bad Karma

Nov 12, 2005
Nashville

CHI - $52,489
STL- $2,424,691
MIN- $3,231,3330
WPG- $5,062,018
DAL- $16,055,664
NSH- $20,504,222

i'm not shocked he's being shopped, just didn't see poile wanting to move him.

Cap room doesn't mean much when the team budget supersedes all of it.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
you misrepresent

that does not mean he was not offered and extension… it means he was not offered the extension he wanted.
No you are representing what you want it read.

“We discussed having an extension, but they couldn’t come up with that right then,†said Arnott

If we want to try and deduct some deep Shakesphere BS meaning, go ahead. I try to side with common sense. He said the Predators couldn't come up with an extension, I take that as he wasn't offered an extension. This was after Trotz pubilicy questioned if Arnott shoud be captain. And after the the trade, Poile said it was in both parties interests to move on. I do know see how someone CAN'T think we put Arnott to "move on". And to be honest, it probably was the right move, but yes it could have free agent implications. We are not Philly with a storied franchise. We have a damaged reputation for FAs for a variety of reason, and "gently pushing out" (at the least) your captain and one of 2 big names to sign with us certainly does not help that reputation. Add to it that Erat, Suter, Radulov wanted out (+ Weber at the least willing to move on), we simply are not doing a good of building up "our brand" to NHL players.

If we "gentle push" out guys like Staalberg, Hendricks, Cullen, etc who signed with us as free agents, I just don't know what the FAs market will think about it. There's no tangible way to measure it.

I certainly want these guys gone, but damage control has it's downsides.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
However you want to describe it.

2012 Preds - cusp of being elite
+ 2012-13 == bad moves, bad player relations, not addressing needs, lottery team
+ 2013-14== even worse moves, not addressing needs, bottom half of league
= Bad GMing

Will see how/if the tradeline fits in this equipment

Forgot something in that equation: 2012 Preds Team + late season "acquisition" of developed goal scorer - said goal scorer after playoffs - defenseman who had no intention on re-signing with team = 2013 Preds Team.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
What does that have to do with the rest of the NHL on Stastny if he ia available?

i didn't wanna answer you. i don't like dealing with constant negativity on a day like deadline day. you asked about our division, i delivered facts...asking about the entire nhl is like asking a homeless guy to name one hockey player. i don't know whos in, just saying we have pieces to make it happen.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
It won't be fixed by this deadline, but the team is very poorly built and doesn't look like it is getting any better. The team has no top line offensive talent on the team in the pipeline, save for maybe Forsberg if he ever gets a chance to play offense.

Go look at the core's of other teams in our division. Every other team looks way better in the coming years save for maybe Winnipeg. It is only going to get worse in the next few years.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
If your setting around waiting for poile to make a deal,your
probably wasting your time.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
i didn't wanna answer you. i don't like dealing with constant negativity on a day like deadline day. you asked about our division, i delivered facts...asking about the entire nhl is like asking a homeless guy to name one hockey player. i don't know whos in, just saying we have pieces to make it happen.

Yeah being realistic and not in a dream world is so horrible.. It's a board for conversation so be prepared for all kinds of people and opinions. If you want sunshine and rainbows and want to ignore reality join twitter and follow Josh Cooper you two will be great for each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad