What do you want Poile to do by Wednesday?

Bad Karma

Nov 12, 2005
Nashville
Also remember that Arnott, who was one of 2 "big name" free agents to sign here, was pretty much forced out of Nashville. It's the only time Poile has pushed someone to waive their NTC.

Damage control.

We need a GM who can right this ship.

Arnott asked to be traded, after being stripped.

Bad Karma

Nov 12, 2005
Nashville
I'm sure that he was stripped due to a massive conspiracy originating with David Poile, though. Because, y'know, Fire Poile.

They wanted him gone at the fire sale, to the point of asking him, what could they do for him? Granted he saw the writing on the wall, but him leaving was his call.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The ONLY players that a team would want are 3 Defensemen and a Goalie from the Preds. Our "Pred way" experiment was a debacle! AS much as I hate to say it but I really don't think we have a chance of making the PO's so I would shed (at least a couple) some salary (Clune, Goose, Cullen, Bourque, Stalberg, Spaling, maybe Wilson and Leggy) for picks, bring up replacements from Milwaulkee and plan to make a splash with offers/trades this summer. Now do I think that will happen, no. I think we will be stuck with everyone of those players mentioned.

The only forwards I think any team might want would be Legwand, Fisher, Smith or Horny. All of the others are nothing special and would return very little if anything. Poile and Trotz have built this team and have put us in this situation. And not a good situation it is. Maybe this summer starts a new Pred way!

If those guys aren't worth anything, then why does anybody else take them on as salary and give us picks for them?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I keep seeing people mentioning this summer we can fix offense with trades, but I just do not see it.
Seems to me we are stuck with this team minus legwand if he walks or allows a trade.
I just do not see our offense getting better any time soon. We need real top three and top six forwards.
Maybe poile does something that surprises me?

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
guys i see poile fielding calls for

Leggy (obviously)
Wilson
Ellis
Cullen
Stalberg
a couple prospects maybe (only if we're trying to be a contender though)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also after Poile called him out publicly. Like I said, he was pushed to waive his NTC.
See? See? IT WAS A CONSPIRACY!

Plenty of players have been "called out publicly" in this manner before. What makes Arnott special in this regard, other than yet another opportunity to try to spin things to make Poile look bad? And what makes that relevant, considering that Arnott had already been a major contributor to the team for several years beforehand and had significantly regressed that year, never to rebound again?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Also remember that Arnott, who was one of 2 "big name" free agents to sign here, was pretty much forced out of Nashville. It's the only time Poile has pushed someone to waive their NTC.

Damage control.

We need a GM who can right this ship.

Revisionist history at its best. Poile wouldnt commit to more than a one year extension for Arnott and then Poile accommodated Arnotts request to be traded and arranged for him to go to the team of his choice.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Revisionist history at its best. Poile wouldnt commit to more than a one year extension for Arnott and then Poile accommodated Arnotts request to be traded and arranged for him to go to the team of his choice.
I remember nothing about an extension for Arnott. I remember Poile publicly expressing disappointment, then with Trotz stripping his C, the next thing he's waived his NTC. If he was offered an extension I stand corrected, but a link would be nice.

Dumont was also pushed in a similar fashion but we could not find someone to take him. So we had to buy him out.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
No. Arnott was still captain when he was traded to New Jersey. No one stripped him of anything. He had a conversation with Poile about the future. Poile told him what he had in mind. Neither really saw a big role for Arnott going forward, so Arnott asked for a trade.

You can't force players to waive their NTC/NMCs. You can cut their playing time or just be a complete ******* to the player behind the scenes, but you can't simply force them to do it. Arnott wanted out when he realized he only had a few more years left and the Preds' plan didn't involve him as one of the go-to guys any longer.

Now, this thread has nothing to do with a guy who hasn't played for our team in a while and who has since retired, so, negative or positive opinions of Poile aside, get it back on topic please.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If Poile does nothing and this team missed the playoffs again ..... Thoughts?

How damning are this offseasons free agent signings that it prohibits us from resigning Legwand ? Stalberg / Cullen - gigantic fails , not to mention Hendricks (thank you Edmonton), or even examining the nystrom or gaustad deals.

Poiles work of late has been straight abysmal.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think we're so close to Poile's retirement (presumably anyway) that the owners will let him go for a couple of more seasons to try to finish whatever it is he has started. I think most of us, if not all of us, are ready to see the team take a new direction philosophically, though.

With that said, the Preds are in a weird spot right now. Very low in the standings, but not that far out of the wild card spot. If Poile stands still this year I'd understand since you don't want to go on a selling spree just in case you actually still have a shot at the play offs, but you don't want to give up young, skilled players for rentals just to stock up and either miss the play offs or get booted in the first round.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
If Poile does nothing and this team missed the playoffs again ..... Thoughts

I'm sure it will be the usual. People defending his every move and blaming the players and injuries. Certainly not Poile or Trotz. Poile brought in the best players he could last year but those same players are not performing so it isn't Trotz or Poile's fault. It is all the player's fault. And there weren't any good players available either during the offseason or during this year. No one wants what we have, no one will trade with us and/or the players will not come here. We just dream up players that we could have gotten. And Poile is working the phones hard so that's enough.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It's comments like that which create such a rift people the pro-Poile and anti-Poile sides. Both sides deliver their hyperbole often enough. Why not just answer the question with your own opinion instead of telling us what you expect the people you disagree with to say?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'm sure it will be the usual. People defending his every move and blaming the players and injuries. Certainly not Poile or Trotz. Poile brought in the best players he could last year but those same players are not performing so it isn't Trotz or Poile's fault. It is all the player's fault. And there weren't any good players available either during the offseason or during this year. No one wants what we have, no one will trade with us and/or the players will not come here. We just dream up players that we could have gotten. And Poile is working the phones hard so that's enough.

*applause*

trotzian brow

Mar 18, 2006
This isn't meant to be negative, but I expect Poile to come out tomorrow and tell the fans that Rinne is our deadline acquisition.

Yeah, the offense needs some work, but, for right now, the Preds are welcoming a cornerstone of the franchise back into the fold.

I'm fine with that.

RINNE! :yo:

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
No. Arnott was still captain when he was traded to New Jersey. No one stripped him of anything. He had a conversation with Poile about the future. Poile told him what he had in mind. Neither really saw a big role for Arnott going forward, so Arnott asked for a trade.

You can't force players to waive their NTC/NMCs. You can cut their playing time or just be a complete ******* to the player behind the scenes, but you can't simply force them to do it. Arnott wanted out when he realized he only had a few more years left and the Preds' plan didn't involve him as one of the go-to guys any longer.

Now, this thread has nothing to do with a guy who hasn't played for our team in a while and who has since retired, so, negative or positive opinions of Poile aside, get it back on topic please.
It has something to do with our reputation as a FA market.

I assume you don't have a link that we offered Arnott a one-year contract?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Poile sits on his hands in the summer = bad GM
Poile signs a lot of free agents and spends near the cap = bad GM
Poile is aggressive at trade deadline = bad GM
Poile sits on his hands at trade deadline = bad GM

:dunno:
:huh:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Do you have a link that he was stripped of his captaincy and forced to leave, or are we supposed to take your recollections as gospel but ours must have links?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
However you want to describe it.

2012 Preds - cusp of being elite
+ 2012-13 == bad moves, bad player relations, not addressing needs, lottery team
+ 2013-14== even worse moves, not addressing needs, bottom half of league
= Bad GMing

Will see how/if the tradeline fits in this equipment

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Do you have a link that he was stripped of his captaincy and forced to leave, or are we supposed to take your recollections as gospel but ours must have links?
I did not bring up strip of capacity.. that part is appears to be wrong.

I can give you a link where Arnott himself says he was not offered an extension after they disccsuedd it
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...sion_to_ask_predators_to_trade_him_to_devils/

The writing was on the wall. He was pushed out the door. And I'm not even saying it was the wrong decision. But yes, it could have an affect on our reputation in the FA market (and I said that then as well).

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

When all you are doing is discussing how Poile handled the Arnott situation it is not relevant to what you expect him to do in the future. Tie it into the here and now, or drop it. The Arnott ship sailed how long ago?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
When all you are doing is discussing how Poile handled the Arnott situation it is not relevant to what you expect him to do in the future. Tie it into the here and now, or drop it. The Arnott ship sailed how long ago?
Pretty easy to say "Drop it" right after you put in your 2 paragraphs about your Arnott opinion.

This is how it ties in and how it came up-- if we dump all our free agents this trade deadline -- Hendricks, Cullen, Staalberg -- it could have effect on future free agent signings and our FA reputation. The handling of Arnott may have already had an impact on our reputation.

It's damage control. And it's not a good position.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Not everything is absolute or in a vaccum. Signing Vanek, Moulson in FA is alot different than signing Nystrom and Hendricks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad