What do you think will happen with Fleury?

What happens with Fleury?

• Total voters

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think he'll play for Chicago ultimately. No way he's ready to retire after a Vezina season and if it's Chicago or bust he'll suck it up and play.

If the Pens went aggressively after him I'm sure he'd love that but I don't know if I see it happening with his cap hit.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Chicago paid nothing to get him, more or less. They'll happily let him retire than to trade him to the Pens at 50% retained, imo.

He'll either play for the Hawks or hang 'em up because he doesn't want to uproot his family again. I don't think Fleury is anything close to realistic for the Pens, as much as the Yohes of the world want to wish it into being.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Chicago paid nothing to get him, more or less. They'll happily let him retire than to trade him to the Pens at 50% retained, imo.

He'll either play for the Hawks or hang 'em up because he doesn't want to uproot his family again. I don't think Fleury is anything close to realistic for the Pens, as much as the Yohes of the world want to wish it into being.

I think the telling thing here is Chicago got him for basically nothing. If the Pens were willing to do that then Vegas would have just sent him there instead as a favor to him.

The Pens weren't willing, and here we are.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the telling thing here is Chicago got him for basically nothing. If the Pens were willing to do that then Vegas would have just sent him there instead as a favor to him.

The Pens weren't willing, and here we are.
I don't think it was anything about willing. We can't fit a $7 million AAV goalie in without dumping pretty substantial cap.

If we'd dumped Petts in addition to losing McCann and Tanev's cap hit, that would've signaled they were interested in making a splash, imo.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think it was anything about willing. We can't fit a $7 million AAV goalie in without dumping pretty substantial cap.

If we'd dumped Petts in addition to losing McCann and Tanev's cap hit, that would've signaled they were interested in making a splash, imo.

Yeah I am sure cap space was the factor or he'd be here

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The entire goalie market dried up today. So I think Fleury's main options are retirement/Pens/Hawks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The entire goalie market dried up today. So I think Fleury's main options are retirement/Pens/Hawks

why does everyone think the Hawks are interested in trading him to the Pens? They specifically said they traded for him to play for them…additionally, why does everyone think if he decides to play that MAF is going to issue some ultimatum to Chicago saying he’ll only play if he gets to play for the Pens?…this line of thinking by Pens fans is very presumptuous

Reactions: BillPrep

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
why does everyone think the Hawks are interested in trading him to the Pens? They specifically said they traded for him to play for them…additionally, why does everyone think if he decides to play that MAF is going to issue some ultimatum to Chicago saying he’ll only play if he gets to play for the Pens?…this line of thinking by Pens fans is very presumptuous

I forget how it works but if Fleury retires, I think Chicago has to eat his entire cap. Its in their best interest to get rid of Fleury if he's not gonna report. They also traded absolutely nothing for Fleury and could potentially get something back from the Pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Because Fleury's not going to play for the Hawks.

They traded for him so he would play for them...and apparently Fleury wants nothing to do with them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I forget how it works but if Fleury retires, I think Chicago has to eat his entire cap. Its in their best interest to get rid of Fleury if he's not gonna report. They also traded absolutely nothing for Fleury and could potentially get something back from the Pens.

I thought it was Vegas who would be stuck with the bill if he retires…

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
50/50 chance he ends up back in Pittsburgh or retires, end of story.

I hope he ends up back in Pittsburgh because there is no way he can crap the bed worse than Jarry did in the first round during the most recent playoffs.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
50/50 chance he ends up back in Pittsburgh or retires, end of story.

I hope he ends up back in Pittsburgh because there is no way he can crap the bed worse than Jarry did in the first round during the most recent playoffs.

2012 Fleury says hold my beer.

Though that whole Flyers series was a shitshow of embarrassment.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He isn't retiring. He'll either eventually report or force Chicago to trade him.

A lot of goalies are coming off free agency and trade blocks, so the Pens' options, and affordable options, are getting scarce. So this is starting to look like an actual possibility.

Chicago got him for essentially nothing, so it won't be hard for them to let him go.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Plays for someone else.

Man, it’s already been fun watching the cultists lose their minds thinking he’s returning.
It's psychosis on another level. Try seeing them in a mark Madden thread on Twitter or any other yinzer pundit. It's remarkable.

Reactions: ncm7772

metalan2

May 30, 2008
No chance he retires. Flower in his prime now. Please stay far away however.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I could see those mistakes happening again here

MAF is who he is at this point in his career.

He’s always going to flake out. He has literally only held it together for one playoff run in his career.

He is by all accounts a really good dude, but that doesn’t change the reality of him always being a ticking time bomb.

I honestly don’t care if he’s brought back if it makes a lot of ppl happy, but let’s not pretend like he is the answer for one final late career cup run with this core.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
2012 Fleury says hold my beer.

Though that whole Flyers series was a shitshow of embarrassment.

I was thinking about those things and still I have far more confidence in Marc. VGK didn't lose because of goaltending, they lost because they could not score. In 2012 we lost because Bylsma's "defense" hung MAF out to dry.

Jarry is just not there yet and CDS can't carry the load, few options remain and frankly getting a Vezina winner that 99% probably wants to play here and only here is what may turn it into a reality.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad