What do you think Ken Holland does if we miss the playoffs?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You realize that a player can be on the trade block and not get traded,right? There has been many reporters that reported shatty was up for grabs and either the asking price was too high or he didn't want to be traded to a certain city (Edmonton). Context is your friend.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Prepare for the worst.

Let's figure out what the worst is. Trading Larkin, Mantha, AA or a first round pick this year? Can anything get worst than trading any of those assets? If not then there's nothing to worry about. Those assets aren't being moved.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Let's figure out what the worst is. Trading Larkin, Mantha, AA or a first round pick this year? Can anything get worst than trading any of those assets? If not then there's nothing to worry about. Those assets aren't being moved.
I had in mind them making a big, franchise-changing trade involving significant roster assets during the season, so we ruin our draft position and still don't make the playoffs. Basically the worst of all possible worlds.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You realize that a player can be on the trade block and not get traded,right? There has been many reporters that reported shatty was up for grabs and either the asking price was too high or he didn't want to be traded to a certain city (Edmonton). Context is your friend.

Is this in reply to the speculation that Nyquist might possibly be on the trade block? I don't care if Nyquist is traded or not. He's not my favorite player, he's small, weak on the puck and incredibly redundant. Maybe this is a rumor to rock the locker room and get guys going? Who knows...

But if KH gets something around Nyquist for Shatty done, I won't complain, either :naughty:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I had in mind them making a big, franchise-changing trade involving significant roster assets during the season, so we ruin our draft position and still don't make the playoffs. Basically the worst of all possible worlds.

What type of franchise-changing trade could he do to actually make the team better without sacrificing youth? There is none. He didn't move Mantha or Larkin to upgrade the defense a few years ago when the team was way better. What makes you think he's going to make a panic trade now involving key young players? If he trades Tatar or Nyquist for help on defense this year would anyone really care?

Jul 30, 2005
What type of franchise-changing trade could he do to actually make the team better without sacrificing youth? There is none. He didn't move Mantha or Larkin to upgrade the defense a few years ago when the team was way better. What makes you think he's going to make a panic trade now involving key young players? If he trades Tatar or Nyquist for help on defense this year would anyone really care?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant he'd sacrifice youth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Could very easily see something like Nyquist for Edler, or similar. Declining middle pairing guy from a bottom 5-10 team looking to sell.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Is this in reply to the speculation that Nyquist might possibly be on the trade block? I don't care if Nyquist is traded or not. He's not my favorite player, he's small, weak on the puck and incredibly redundant. Maybe this is a rumor to rock the locker room and get guys going? Who knows...

But if KH gets something around Nyquist for Shatty done, I won't complain, either :naughty:

Great idea let's trade for a pending ufa while at the bottom of the standings. I'm sure he'd be in a hurry to re-sign.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant he'd sacrifice youth.

He's had numerous opportunities to move key young players over the past three years and hasn't. Why now all of a sudden when the team is in even worse shape that he choose to move a player like Mantha or Larkin? You guys are paranoid.

Jul 30, 2005
He's had numerous opportunities to move key young players over the past three years and hasn't. Why now all of a sudden when the team is in even worse shape that he choose to move a player like Mantha or Larkin? You guys are paranoid.
Easy: because he's in hot water right now. His orders were to make the playoffs, and he spent a ton of money doing it. To have spent all that money *and* be at the bottom of the standings is a total failure on his part. I think he's been told in no uncertain terms that he has to make this right by the end of the season.

It's like any other job. If you use up a ton of resources only to have your project completely fail, you're in trouble. And if the Wings are truly as fixated on short term success as it seems, then the present situation is absolutely unacceptable.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Easy: because he's in hot water right now. His orders were to make the playoffs, and he spent a ton of money doing it. To have spent all that money *and* be at the bottom of the standings is a total failure on his part. I think he's been told in no uncertain terms that he has to make this right by the end of the season.

Is he in hot water though? Why would you think that? Guy has been with the Red Wings for over 30 years. I also can't subscribe to the theory that Holland is merely a puppet and is giving into ownerships demands to make the playoffs no matter what. It's silly.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is he in hot water though? Why would you think that? Guy has been with the Red Wings for over 30 years. I also can't subscribe to the theory that Holland is merely a puppet and is giving into ownerships demands to make the playoffs no matter what. It's silly.
While it might not be to the point of hot water, I'd be surprised if the likelihood of a 25 year playoff streak ending - after trading the dead cap hit of your former best player, and then spending right back up to the cap on veteran players targeted to improve the team in the short term - would be received without any criticism or pressure whatsoever.

Jul 30, 2005
Why wouldn't he be in hot water, though? I think it's pretty clear that they wanted to take the streak into the new building. That's all in jeopardy because of Holland, and to boot he's spending the most in the league to do it. That's a complete failure.

But I think it's a misconception that ownership is super loyal to Holland. Mike might have been, but is Chris? I'm not convinced. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Wings seem to care a lot more about treading water and making money the last couple of years, and Ken has found himself making bad value desperation moves to keep the franchise doing those things.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Why wouldn't he be in hot water, though? I think it's pretty clear that they wanted to take the streak into the new building. That's all in jeopardy because of Holland, and to boot he's spending the most in the league to do it. That's a complete failure.

But I think it's a misconception that ownership is super loyal to Holland. Mike might have been, but is Chris? I'm not convinced. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Wings seem to care a lot more about treading water and making money the last couple of years, and Ken has found himself making bad value desperation moves to keep the franchise doing those things.

I don't in any way believe it's a "complete failure" that the team might miss the playoffs for the first time in 25 years or whatever after losing two HOF superstars in the past 5 years. That's just the natural cycle of sports. The Red Wings had nowhere to go but down. You know how many fans of other teams would kill to make the playoffs, even as an 8th seed? Tons of them. It really puts things is perspective that missing the playoffs for the first time in 25 years is seen as a complete failure.

Jul 30, 2005
I don't in any way believe it's a "complete failure" that the team might miss the playoffs for the first time in 25 years or whatever after losing two HOF superstars in the past 5 years. That's just the natural cycle of sports. The Red Wings had nowhere to go but down. You know how many fans of other teams would kill to make the playoffs, even as an 8th seed? Tons of them. It really puts things is perspective that missing the playoffs for the first time in 25 years is seen as a complete failure.
But if this is just the natural cycle, then why aren't they going to let it take its course? It sure sounds like they intend to make a big move to improve the team as soon as possible.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
But if this is just the natural cycle, then why aren't they going to let it take its course? It sure sounds like they intend to make a big move to improve the team as soon as possible.

Or it's just a silly speculative article. How many rumors have there been over the years about the Wings trading for a defenseman and nothing happened?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't know why you're lumping it all together. The past is the past. The present is the present. We could have been wildly successful in the past but also failing currently this season. I mean, that's exactly why I'd say is the case.

When you pubicly start the season by having the stance of "rebuild, well just keep winning" and then 3 months later you find yourself bottom 5 in the league, I don't know how you call that anything other than failing in the present.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't know why you're lumping it all together. The past is the past. The present is the present. We could have been wildly successful in the past but also failing currently this season. I mean, that's exactly why I'd say is the case.

When you pubicly start the season by having the stance of "rebuild, well just keep winning" and then 3 months later you find yourself bottom 5 in the league, I don't know how you call that anything other than failing in the present.

Sure, it's a bad season. "Complete failure" to me sounds way over the top. OMG they had a really bad year like 75% of the NHL has had multiple seasons like in the past 10 years. Make a good top 5 draft pick and they very well be right back in the playoffs next season....the roster isn't totally bare like a Toronto or Buffalo. It's not the end of the world.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sure, it's a bad season. "Complete failure" to me sounds way over the top. OMG they had a really bad year like 75% of the NHL has had multiple seasons like in the past 10 years. Make a good top 5 draft pick and they very well be right back in the playoffs next season....the roster isn't totally bare like a Toronto or Buffalo. It's not the end of the world.

Yeah, I don't think it's the end of the world. I just think we set a goal and are missing it by quite a bit. It is what it is.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Do you honestly believe that this roster has a significantly better chance at winning a Cup than Toronto or Buffalo? I don't.

And that's just the present. Going forward, I definitely have more faith in the direction of Toronto, and maybe even Buffalo, than in Detroit.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
He is going to trade our 1st for a washed up vet.. Then we will finish in bottom 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad