What do you think Ken Holland does if we miss the playoffs?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
nothing of consequence,probably just lock up the RFAs try and bring back Vanek and maybe bring back Miller or something

he doesn't really have an Abdelkader/Glendening/Helm type due for a contract this year for him to massively over-commit to

I am however afraid to see what he will do if the Wings are a few points out of the Playoffs at the trade deadline

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He'll talk about how injuries and how a bounce here or there could've made the difference. Than repeat the myth that once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.

Then he'll probably sign an aging vet or two in the offseason.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Probably nothing. I don't remember our exact position at the TDL last year but it was hardly solid playoff ground.

Last season was due to cap constraints or we would have traded our second at least. Since they are spend up to the cap again maybe we are safe.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Last season was due to cap constraints or we would have traded our second at least. Since they are spend up to the cap again maybe we are safe.
No Kenny didn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd or a top prospect, cap wasn't a factor or at least not the biggest one.

Expect him to more or less say these exact same words again if we're close to the playoffs by the deadline.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No Kenny didn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd or a top prospect, cap wasn't a factor or at least not the biggest one.

Expect him to more or less say these exact same words again if we're close to the playoffs by the deadline.

and its why we should be cheering for the to either win it out from here till end of season or lose it out from now till april

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
You need franchise players to win a Cup. We have none and the only way to realistically acquire some is drafting in the top 5. Until Holland realized that or is replaced we will be back here year after year after year

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You need franchise players to win a Cup. We have none and the only way to realistically acquire some is drafting in the top 5. Until Holland realized that or is replaced we will be back here year after year after year
I feel the same way.

But it appears that those in charge would rather operate a CD with a guaranteed 2% return, and never have a chance to strike it big, than play the stock market (even on blue chip companies). And they appear to be fine with no longer having a reasonable chance to win said Cup again. ("We like our team.")

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Agree with all of this. The long gutting rebuild is something Holland hasn't been interested in. He will at least try to make it as quick as possible. If we are totally out of it, I expect him to flip some things if he can.

I don't think Green is going anywhere this year, they would then have to replace their only real proven puck mover next year where he still has a contract. I think he will want to talk to Mike Green in June about staying aboard, not sure Green will but that is when I would expect that move.

Trading Vanek doesn't mean he cannot gauge Vanek's interest in coming back right away on July 1. It's a risk sure, but Vanek has been traded before and not immediately thrown in with the new team. He seems a comfort player and looks comfortable with Detroit. I could see him moved and pulling the Tkachuk/Weight and signing right back with us which would be wonderful in my opinion.

But he is going to try to rebuild as quickly as possible. Unless Holland has totally changed his mind getting rid of every asset he has isn't something he believes in and I know I am in the minority but I agree with that. Intentionally trying to be bad hasn't actually worked out for everyone the way some like to say it has. There are plenty of teams that are perennial losers that can hearken back to a couple of seasons of thinking being intentionally bad and selling off nearly all of their NHL assets was some kind of golden ticket.

All teams want to rebuild as quickly as possible. Problem is that it takes multiples drafts and then you have to wait on those players.

A lot of the time teams that have rebuilt weren't trying to be intentionally bad. They just were bad. Even a team like the Oilers actually tried to be better but they just weren't good anyways. Witness Penner signing, Ference signing, etc.

The quicker Holland realizes that this team needs to start rebuilding which will mean dealing out pending UFAs like Vanek and capitalizing on guys with value like Green and Nyquist for futures the quicker they can turn it around.

The Wings are trouble for 4-5 years till the prospects they get no emerge and the bad contracts come off the books. If they refuse to acknowledge this it could become closer to a 10 year rebuild.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Yeah some people point to the late round winners teams have picked up but those are few and far between. The actual statistical output between the 1OA, the top5, the first round, vs later rounds is just immense, even with those statistical anomalies.

You could bank on finding the next Lidstrom/Datsyuk in the 2nd round or later or give yourself a real chance and just tank for a few years. We've got some decent pieces but none of them seem capable of carrying the team on their back. That takes a franchise player who isn't over 35 years old with a crap back. Imagine what a McDavid could do for this team. Or even Eichel.

Babs was 100% right when he said we had no Datsyuk replacement in our pipeline. He was right as hell. Larkin may well develop into a fine player but I don't see him coming anywhere close to Z/D in their prime. Almost certainly not even Toews level.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
people like to use stats and rare examples to prove anything

the pens did not win because of letang, they won solely because of crosby and malkin and fleury. You're clueless if you think otherwise. You take out crosby and malkin and leave in letang and the pens are bottom feeders

same too with chicago with kane and toews

or LA with doughty and kopitar(non playoff position draft pick)

washington will not win if they do if not for ovie and backstrom

tampa will not win if not for hedman and stamkos

teams NEED high end talent and that talent typically comes at the top of the order

its not ALL they need but it is the fundemental building block

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

If Kenny doesn't do anything, what happens?

We'll get a TOP5 pick.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If we're still in the race, probably nothing. If we're still in the race, but have injury problems, maybe try to sign a plug-in. If we're clearly out with no realistic hope of making it, try to sell/do nothing depending on what kinds of deals are available. If we miss, a rebuild is coming with or without him as GM. Would be shocked if that turned out to not be the case.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Serious question: When was the last time we had players who (a) had reason to request a trade, (b) actually had value, and (c) we didn't have reason to keep around?

I'm blanking. Only names I can think of are Hudler and Flip, who really didn't seem to like it here under Babcock, but we were a playoff team and we arguably had good reason to keep both of them around.

Smith was allegedly on the block last year, and I could see why he'd want a change of scenery, so I could see him being moved. And while I agree that Holland will probably try to retain Vanek, I see very little reason why Vanek would agree to that. The team is going nowhere, there's no big infusion of talent expected, and Metro Detroit as an area isn't up there in terms of desirability.

Same thing with Green. I could see him asking to be moved at the deadline if the offers are there. The body language on the ice suggests this team is not fun to play for right now and, for Green, I can't imagine it was that great last year either. But that's the only way I see him getting traded.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Green, Vanek and Smith are the trade baits.

That's a start for this season. We don't have to blow it any further.

- Green could net 1st + extras for sure

- Vanek will net at least 2nd+3rd (Hudler was 2nd+4th at last season), low 1st possible (Ladd-price)

- Smith could net 5th or 6th rounder like Kindl, if retained salary also.

We have 8 picks for 2017 draft, so getting 4-5 extra picks will put us on great position. Almost 2 picks per round and own 1st is high first time for... forever.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Nothing. He blames injuries or something else and says prices are too high.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Green, Vanek and Smith are the trade baits.

That's a start for this season. We don't have to blow it any further.

- Green could net 1st + extras for sure

- Vanek will net at least 2nd+3rd (Hudler was 2nd+4th at last season), low 1st possible (Ladd-price)

- Smith could net 5th or 6th rounder like Kindl, if retained salary also.

We have 8 picks for 2017 draft, so getting 4-5 extra picks will put us on great position. Almost 2 picks per round and own 1st is high first time for... forever.
While results are never guaranteed, that scenario would represent a tremendous amount of opportunity.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Winter of Discontent.

The conversation seems to be moving to the idea we will rebuild if/when we miss the playoffs. So I want to get a sense of how aggressive people expect the move to be. So for the sake of the poll let's say we are for all reasonable expectations out of the playoff race before the trade deadline. What do you think Holland will do?

1. Stay the course. Try to tinker to improve the roster for a shot at the playoffs next year. No major trades or moves.
2. No major TDL moves. Maintains roster but becomes a bit more aggressive in trying to acquire a dman via trade in the offseason. Goal is still to make the playoffs.
3. Goes into rebuild mode. Sells assets at TDL and continues to pare down roster over the summer.

Quite honestly I think the best thing for the Wings is to miss the playoffs. Right now, maintaining that streak is really just throwing good money after bad. Time to take a step or two back and copletely overhaul the whole thing. It's been a good run but like all good things, it must come to an end.

So #3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad