TSN: What do you think about the whole canadian division?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean, we can look at xGA/60 & CA/60 to see which teams gave up the most good chances and shots per 60 minutes. When Keefe took over on Nov 21, 2019 we ranked for the rest of the season:

5v5 xGA/60 - 15th
5v5 CA/60 - 13th

All-situations xGA/60 - 10th
All-situations CA/60 - 14th

We were a top half of the league defensive team when Keefe took over, something Babcock never was able to get out of the team. We have to remember that was the majority of the time we were missing at least one of Muzzin or Rielly, and we're adding a very good defensive/transition defenseman in Brodie to the mix.

Also, I wasn't saying Dermott is a 1st pairing defenseman, I was saying his GAR impact was one of the best 62 defenseman in the league, which means his overall impact is of a first pairing defenseman quality. Same as Muzzin, same as Brodie, same as Rielly. Also, just because I think our defenseman are the best in the division, that doesn't mean they're the best defensively. Obviously defense and defenseman are intrinsically linked, but defenseman provide lots of value besides defense that make up their overall value. It's like looking at points for forwards and ranking them based on that.

View attachment 378763

View attachment 378766

View attachment 378767

I'm kind of a show me guy. I'm not a stats denier in any sense of the word... but show me (not you, but the team itself) that this team is good defensively, and only then I'll believe it. I'd be thrilled if it proved to be true though.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean, we can look at xGA/60 & CA/60 to see which teams gave up the most good chances and shots per 60 minutes. When Keefe took over on Nov 21, 2019 we ranked for the rest of the season:

5v5 xGA/60 - 15th
5v5 CA/60 - 13th

All-situations xGA/60 - 10th
All-situations CA/60 - 14th

We were a top half of the league defensive team when Keefe took over, something Babcock never was able to get out of the team. We have to remember that was the majority of the time we were missing at least one of Muzzin or Rielly, and we're adding a very good defensive/transition defenseman in Brodie to the mix.

Also, I wasn't saying Dermott is a 1st pairing defenseman, I was saying his GAR impact was one of the best 62 defenseman in the league, which means his overall impact is of a first pairing defenseman quality. Same as Muzzin, same as Brodie, same as Rielly. Also, just because I think our defenseman are the best in the division, that doesn't mean they're the best defensively. Obviously defense and defenseman are intrinsically linked, but defenseman provide lots of value besides defense that make up their overall value. It's like looking at points for forwards and ranking them based on that.

View attachment 378763

View attachment 378766

View attachment 378767

By the way , where can You find GAR stats these days, thanks in advance.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I love the idea of a Canadian division. Every night will be rivalry night. Many of these teams are really closely matched. It will be put up or shut up time for a lot of players in every city.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
No apparently the roster and taxi squad rules are causing difficulties between teams/owners. It is issues of how to deal with CBA and CAP. Depending how it comes out teams may be able to manipulate da CAP a bit this year. And many owners are worried about funding excess costs of these extra guys at NHL wages. Sounds like nickel and diming to me. Da players don't care as much but still more guys splitting things 50/50. and i hear 1 team is really bitching about which division they are going into. probably a team not into Jacobs pack.
Ok sire. I hope we would still get the confirmation day like terminator II the judgement day was back in our days. Like next week, it would make all of us breathing more calm and cool. That's good for blood pressure and for the blood in general. Lets see if we will get some releaf soon.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think if the leafs don’t make it to the conference finals in this division something is seriously wrong.

Leafs have been gifted a year without Boston and Tampa, they have to take advantage of it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ok sire. I hope we would still get the confirmation day like terminator II the judgement day was back in our days. Like next week, it would make all of us breathing more calm and cool. That's good for blood pressure and for the blood in general. Lets see if we will get some releaf soon.

NHL network today said the hope is the owners present something to the players Thursday, then a couple of days for the players to vote, and then would be presented to the owners afterwards, so sounds like sometime next weekend, we could hear good or bad news.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think if the leafs don’t make it to the conference finals in this division something is seriously wrong.

Leafs have been gifted a year without Boston and Tampa, they have to take advantage of it.
Totally agree with this sentiment. Conference finals or huge bust.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
NHL network today said the hope is the owners present something to the players Thursday, then a couple of days for the players to vote, and then would be presented to the owners afterwards, so sounds like sometime next weekend, we could hear good or bad news.
Now that that real dirt y'all heard me. :clap: We gon swang and swerve hard that weekend, just before christmas. Gon be some beautiful dirt right there sire. Thank you for the information, mucho deniro appreciated. :clap:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm kind of a show me guy. I'm not a stats denier in any sense of the word... but show me (not you, but the team itself) that this team is good defensively, and only then I'll believe it. I'd be thrilled if it proved to be true though.
The thing to consider with these numbers as well though is that Keefe accomplished this while missing Muzzin and Rielly for huge stretches of time including both of them at the same time at one point. Take any teams top 2 defensemen away and their defensive results will suffer.

We were middle of the pack defensively while relying on two rookie defensemen and a mix of Ceci/Holl/Marincin at times.

If we get a full season out of Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie we will be MUCH better in our own end. Rielly isn't great defensively but at least he doesn't get caved in like Holl or Marincin do on their own.

Reactions: X66 and Morgs

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Assuming all Canadian teams are healthy this is how I see it shaking out:

1. Leafs
2. Flames (Markstrom in, Tanev to replace Brodie)
3. Edmonton (McDavid/Draisaitl tear the division apart)
4. Vancouver (Schmidt replaces Tanev, Hughes and Pettersson carry team, Holtby rebounds)
5. Winnipeg (Offense still great, Hellebuyck can't continue to bail out the defense).
6. Montreal (Defense and goaltending great, centers get caved in playing against Matthews/McDavid etc.)
7. Ottawa (Obviously the least talent in this division in all areas)

2-6 could really be flipped any which way but I'm really not buying the hype of Montreal. Markstrom/Price/Hellebuyck/Andersen/Holtby are all good starters and most teams can match Montreals top 3 D pretty well. Flames have Gio/Tanev/Hanifin, Vancouver has Hughes/Schmidt/Myers, we have Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie. Edmonton has weaker goaltending and Winnipeg has a weaker defense but both are way better down the middle and most teams match up pretty well with the Habs.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
This all Canadian division is gonna out hf boards on the map.
Gonna be brutal both on th ice and in here!
Bring it on

Reactions: X66

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The thing to consider with these numbers as well though is that Keefe accomplished this while missing Muzzin and Rielly for huge stretches of time including both of them at the same time at one point. Take any teams top 2 defensemen away and their defensive results will suffer.

We were middle of the pack defensively while relying on two rookie defensemen and a mix of Ceci/Holl/Marincin at times.

If we get a full season out of Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie we will be MUCH better in our own end. Rielly isn't great defensively but at least he doesn't get caved in like Holl or Marincin do on their own.

I understand all the "what ifs",and buts, and the numbers, etc... I understand that if you remove Hutch, and KK from the goaltending, our numbers are far better too. There are some very good reasons to be optimistic, and to believe that we have improved... but, to date, this club hasn't really been that good defensively overall... for a whole season, or when it counted... Even with Muzzin and Rielly in the lineup the last couple of years, we can't really be considered a strong defensive team... maybe this year, but like I said, show me the actual on ice results.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1. Leafs - Wouldn't I get banned if I said something different?
2. Calgary - Markstrom sure helps.
3. Montreal - have been fairly strong, against Canadian teams the last few years.
4. Winnipeg - Could be the #5, will be in a fight with Edmonton for the final spot
5. Edmonton - Could be higher, but an injury away from being terrible.
6. Ottawa - Will be in a fight with Vancouver for DFL>
7. Vancouver - Their record against Canadian teams the last few years has been abysmal.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
3. Montreal - have been fairly strong, against Canadian teams the last few years.
4. Winnipeg - Could be the #5, will be in a fight with Edmonton for the final spot
7. Vancouver - Their record against Canadian teams the last few years has been abysmal.
I just see Montreals centers holding them back from doing much in this division.

They'll be great defensively but If you think you're going to shutdown Pettersson/Scheifele/McDavid/Draisaitl/Matthews/Tavares/Monahan on a nightly basis with a combination of Danault/Suzuki/Kotkaniemi its going to be a long year. Danault is great but that's a tough haul.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Yeah, I won't tolerate any excuses this year. Home ice in the playoffs and winning a round it's meeting expectations, at best.

Anything less and heads need to roll.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just see Montreals centers holding them back from doing much in this division.

They'll be great defensively but If you think you're going to shutdown Pettersson/Scheifele/McDavid/Draisaitl/Matthews/Tavares/Monahan on a nightly basis with a combination of Danault/Suzuki/Kotkaniemi its going to be a long year. Danault is great but that's a tough haul.

Understanding, the Habs were 3-0 against us last year, with essentially those C's. Now, I'd consider that a fluke year, but I think they match up pretty well against the Canadian teams.

Reactions: Beaumaris

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Watching the Canucks get curbed stomped in this division is going to be very satisfying.

Vancouver didn't have a winning record against a single Canadian team in the 19-20 season and have, by far, the worst record against Canadian teams overall. Yet, Vancouver media thinks they have a shot at winning the division and are of course neck and neck with big brother Toronto.

They've lost Toffoli, Tanev, Stecher and MVP Markstrom. They've replaced that with a declining, mediocre Holtby and a LHD Schmidt. Next off-season is their cap crunch so it's unlikely we see them add a quality deadline piece with term due to the Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland, Sutter, Myers, etc. contracts.

Calgary is the biggest threat to Toronto.

Reactions: Menzinger

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This will turn out to be one of the best hockey season ever.

I can actually see Edmonton not making the playoffs. Winnipeg, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary to me are the picks.

Heck even Ottawa looks good. They won't be easy to play against.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With a shortened season games will have a playoff type effort very early in the season. Hopefully it’s rough, tough mean hockey all season.
How far can Matthews and Hyman carry the Leafs, if it is?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I' is also thinking them gon go far sire. Top 3 it is very mucho deniro sire. They have it all now, goalies, top 6 forwards are really, really strong and agile. D is also correctamundo. So you saw it right sire, already did it there.

They also carry the worst record, against the other Canadian teams, both last year, and over the last three years. They just don't match up very well, against the other Canadian teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad