TSN: What do you think about the whole canadian division?

member 300185

The problem with a shortened season is there is hardly any separation of points for determining regular season points for playoffs. Bettman and his cronies will come up with another bunch if idiotic tie breakers like they did before.

member 300185

Fair point. Though Florida isnt exactly close as far as travel is concerned.

Another potential change thag could stick around is if the league moves towards teams playing against one another multiple times in a row. Which could cut down the travel burden a bit
Florida is half the distance to Toronto as Vancouver is. About 1100 miles to Florida where Vancouver is over 2 thousand miles.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
The repetitiveness of opponents is going to be unbearable for me. Remember post-lockout when we played our division opponents 8 times a year? Horrible.
Yeah, it'll get old fast. I do think this can be lucky for the Leafs though. The division isn't taht strong.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The only thing I'm going to hate is if there's more 10pm games. I cannot wait to play all these teams 8 times, the rivalries are going to be absolutely insane.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Vancouver has a bright furure, but they take a real step back this year imo. They had a bad offseason. Ottawa will be better, but will finish last. Edmonton should be good. Calgary, I didn't like their 2 bigg UFA signings at all. Montreal might be the toughest team to call. Winnipeg looks good, but that D. Hallebuyck needs to be great like last season.

Reactions: CDN24

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The only thing I'm going to hate is if there's more 10pm games. I cannot wait to play all these teams 8 times, the rivalries are going to be absolutely insane.

Agree 100%, going to love the rivalries, not going to like 50% of the games starting late, but nothing we can do about that.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Last season Points Percentage with top 2 teams in the league and Wings in for reference:
  • Bruins - .714 (League #1)
  • Blues - .662 (League #2)
  • Oilers - .585
  • Leafs - .579
  • Canucks - .565
  • Flames - .564
  • Jets - .563
  • Habs - .500
  • Sens - .437 (League #30)
  • Red Wings - .275 (League #31, wow that's bad)
Lots of young skill and talent in the all Canadian division but results have been just "ok". No team has taken the big step to being "great" fans are waiting for.

In a shortened season goaltending could play a huge factor, a hot goalie could carry you to a division win:

Oilers

Smith/Koskinen were decent last year, but both are question marks.

Leafs

Andersen had a down year but was still average to below average starter material, can he rebound? A full year of Campbell will help if he doesn't.

Canucks

I think the Canucks are going to take a significant step back. People are really underestimating just how huge Markstrom has been for them the last few seasons. They gave up a ton of shots and chances and he bailed them out game after game, Holtby struggled behind an elite team last year.

Flames

On the flip side the Flames add Markstrom, but the Rittich/Talbot tandem was quite good last year so even though it adds consistency I don't see it as big boost for them vs. last year.

Jets

Hellebuyk has been one of the best in the league the last 3 seasons. Makes the terrible defensive play of the Jets seem like a non-issue.

Habs

Price has been up and down the last few years, but we all know what he is capable of doing, and although adding Allen was a strange move he is a very good back up.

Sens

Murray was bad last year, but he's still young by goalie standards. He'll get a chance to rebuild his game with the Sens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The repetitiveness of opponents is going to be unbearable for me. Remember post-lockout when we played our division opponents 8 times a year? Horrible.

At the same time I'm not going to loose any sleep playing teams like thr Sharks or Arizona.

While its nice to see new players, those games are always snooze fests

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I dont think they'll be using bubbles. Teams will play in their normal arenas, but the number of potential opponents will shrink considerably to just those in their division

Winnipeg, LA, San Jose and the Alberta teams don’t have a rink atm. Not sure about Anaheim.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think the season is going to get tiring to be honest, not right away obviously; but the playoffs provided they do in division for the first 2 rounds should be fantastic.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

I didn't mind that 8x thing BUT I was not a fan of the BACK TO BACK HOME games lol. Playing MTL on a Tuesday in MTL, then same thing the next night...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So yes sire and mademoiselle. What does y'all think of the all canadian division next season they talkin bout no? We would play a whole lot of games versus only canadien teams. Interesting. Tsn is all over it. NHL looking at temporary realignment, short-term hubs for next season - TSN.ca

They talkin bout that and the whole short term hubs there also sire. What do the legendary toronto maple leafs fans think? Might be some hard games because think about the canadiens and ottawa rivalry. And the edm, calgary etc vanucks ones. Fighting and hitting no? Now we have the thugs also, with our current talent and young speedy gonzalez ones.

Once in a lifetime?

Give it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want it sooooooo bad. The rivalries, the blood, and yet regular season.

I'm not sure what else to say. I would LOVE a Canadian division for one f'd up season. Might actually want it permanent if it turns out as exciting as it sounds.

How could you NOT want to see this?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Once in a lifetime?

I'm not sure what else to say. I would LOVE a Canadian division for one f'd up season. Might actually want it permanent if it turns out as exciting as it sounds.

I hear you buddy. It’s going to be great.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
I don't know about others, but I like seeing Canadian teams succeeding, which is a big FU to Bettman who seems to favour American expansion.

This will reduce the amount of Canadian teams that can make the playoffs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Once in a lifetime?

Bettman also like promised that nhl.com Canada division probable for '20-21 NHL season, Commissioner Bettman says This that real hard right now sire. :clap:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
yost2.png

Interesting article.

Pondering the potential of an all-Canadian division in the NHL - TSN.ca

Reactions: slozo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Leafs can be the best Canadian team on both sides of the puck. There isn’t a great defensive team in the lot of the entire Canadian division so our scoring won’t falter. Can Andersen/ Campbell start us good and play consistent! If so that is a big jump on the way last season started with Hutchinson/Andersen.
We added some defensive depth. Looks like improved.
Matthews just keeps getting better every year. I expect that won’t change this year and he finally wins a Rocket trophy. I think he will win multiple Rockets but this will be his first this year.

Expanded rosters are going to allow vets and developing players ice time.

Give me hockey. I sure hope the WJHC’s are a go too

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think we’re in good shape going into this one, our depth is going to help with the condensed schedule (on the back end specifically), and the shortened season will benefit our Veteran signings. I feel a lot better about having Thornton & Spezza going into the playoffs after a 56 game season than a full 82 game stretch.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Number of Canadian teams to make the playoffs in 2021 will be 4

2020 - 3
2019 -3
2018 - 2
2017 - 5
2016 - 0
2015 - 5

I'm not seeing a problem with this.

I'd guess the problem would be more about knowing the number straight off the bat. It's a problem if one believes five, six or all seven of the Canadian teams truly have a realistic chance of obtaining a playoff spot. It's obviously preferable to having three or fewer of those teams qualifying.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'm really excited by this Canadian division idea . . . really nice in my mind.
- takes away the crappy/uninteresting match-ups from the schedule
- competitiveness is excellent, really only 1 team is projected to be bad, but nobody looks elite
- we get to see more McDavid, Draisaitl, Scheifele, Connor, Petterson, amongst others
- I embrace more late games, it means I can watch more
- guaranteed 4 Canadian teams make the playoffs AND, maybe just as exciting, a near guarantee that the first and 2nd round matchups have a great rivalry or two

It's really win-win.
Let's go boys!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Until we know the schedule it’s possible to predict anything but at first glance theway I see it, Calgary and Edmonton are for sure to make the playoffs with Mtl Tor and Van battling for the last two spots, assuming they get four teams.
Winnipeg may sneak up on someone and Ottawa will come out like gang busters for the first 15 games and then fade away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad