Has Stamkos played his last game as a member of the Lightning?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Time for Tampa to rebuild. Two Cups and a great run with this core. Let Stsmkos go. Trade others. Dive to the bottom to draft 1OA again.

Not only will this absolutely never happen to team who just finished with 98 points despite losing their starter for two months, and who have what will likely be the Hart winner. It also isn't necessary to completely nuke the team. They need to come some pieces, particularly Stamkos if he wants too much, and they'll be fine.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If I’m Hugues I’m offering Stamkos ridiculous money for 2 years to play for his buddy and mentor St-Louis. $10M to come to the most storied franchises to see these bipolar fan up close and personal, he can’t refuse that!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If I’m Hugues I’m offering Stamkos ridiculous money for 2 years to play for his buddy and mentor St-Louis. $10M to come to the most storied franchises to see these bipolar fan up close and personal, he can’t refuse that!

Honestly? It's not a terrible idea. Kesler has always credited when the Canucks brought in Sundin for helping mentor his game into what it eventually became. Having someone like Stamkos come in could do wonders for some of the younger stars' development, especially Caufield and Slaf.

Reactions: Cenzo_

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would guess he's gone. Stamkos seemed a bit anxious about his contract last September and obviously now he'll be more so. The Lightning, as a franchise, have reached the point where they probably need to let some vets age gracefully or move on while elevating the ice-time of younger guys.

The one complicating factor, maybe, is that Stamkos is team captain and, so far, a kind of franchise player. (He's also the leading goal scorer -- by a landslide -- and point-scorer in franchise history.) That kind of player deservedly gets some sensitive ego-massaging, I would hope...

But anyway, my guess is he's gone. Where's he gonna go? I don't think Toronto is likely, as their recent experiments with bringing in high-profile veterans were busts. Maybe if Marner leaves, all that cap-space is open and they'd think about it...

So, who knows? I'll take a wild guess and say he goes to some club in the west, like Seattle or Vegas.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He’s 34 and Tampa’s cup window is hanging by a thread. They’re moving on

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No contract, pending free agent. He’s had a heck of a run, but do we think this might have been it and he moves in this offseason?

I think he moves on. Part of him lingering on the ice tonight, seemed like he knows he's not going to be back in Tampa.

Reactions: DaveG

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't think Stamkos leaves Tampa

He's been basically begging them to re-sign him all season. He turned down money to re-sign in Tampa in his prime and now he's going to leave for more money? They're going to give Stamkos a lowball take it or leave it offer and he likely accepts it.

Stamkos is the desperate one in this situation basically begging them from the start of the season to re-sign him. I don't believe he wants to leave at all. His agent will probably try to get him to strum up some interest and pretend he's not sure about his future for more money but at this point it's obvious he's desperate for Tampa. Unless Tampa says we don't care if you sign for league min. we're not taking you - he'll probably just sign a cheaper contract to enjoy the beaches in Florida into retirement.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I don’t see Tampa blowing it up? They just signed and traded for several core players… surely it wasn’t just to go for two more runs was it?

I don't think Stamkos leaves Tampa

He's been basically begging them to re-sign him all season. He turned down money to re-sign in Tampa in his prime and now he's going to leave for more money? They're going to give Stamkos a lowball take it or leave it offer and he likely accepts it.

Stamkos is the desperate one in this situation basically begging them from the start of the season to re-sign him. I don't believe he wants to leave at all. His agent will probably try to get him to strum up some interest and pretend he's not sure about his future for more money but at this point it's obvious he's desperate for Tampa. Unless Tampa says we don't care if you sign for league min. we're not taking you - he'll probably just sign a cheaper contract to enjoy the beaches in Florida into retirement.
I don’t see how an NHL team has that much disrespect for a player who has made the franchise millions of dollars and gotten those fat cats at the top rich… but yet again, we are slaves to these predators! That’s where he will
Sign, Nashville!

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I don’t see Tampa blowing it up? They just signed and traded for several core players… surely it wasn’t just to go for two more runs was it?

I don’t see how an NHL team has that much disrespect for a player who has made the franchise millions of dollars and gotten those fat cats at the top rich… but yet again, we are slaves to these predators! That’s where he will
Sign, Nashville!
Beat me to it by11 minutes. Nashville.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I could see Utah making a push for him. As a new market they may want to make a really big splash and go for the biggest names in free agency. I don't know if they can actually entice him to sign there, but I would be shocked if they don't offer either Stamkos or Kane a big contract.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Really depends on his priorities at this point. If it’s cash I could see Utah or Chicago.

If he wants another title maybe Boston, Dallas or even Van City.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Before the past couple months I would've said yes, but now I'm not so sure. He played really well down the stretch and was arguably our best player this postseason. I think once we swung and missed on Hanifin it's kind of changed things. Unless there's a similar big move we can do to revamp the team, keeping Stamkos is more useful than letting him walk. I don't think he's obsessed with chasing more cups, but he does want to be paid fairly. I'm sure he will try to stay as long as both sides numbers are close.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I think he stays. He was acting like someone who isn't, but I think he stays. He's the Captain of two Cup winning teams, and I think he's closer to Crosby or Ovechkin than Dustin Brown(Captained two Cup teams and stripped of C later, if you're new). He's the Captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning until he retires.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
As a Red Wings fan I would like him on my team. Let's add some star power to this team and make a playoffs. I doubt Stamkos would want to come though, he will probably stay.

Reactions: Konnan511

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
It's always seemed more that Stamkos wants them more than they want him.

Now does he want them enough to take I dunno 4-5 million a year when he could get 6-8 on the open market? Even with the tax advantages that's a big hit.

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I won't be surprised if Stamkos signs with a Canadian team. Not sure that there's another captain in Tampa's roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad