TSN: What do you think about the whole canadian division?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Signing bonuses don't do anything in this case. It's about where he has to pay taxes, with a Canadian division, he likely doesn't spend enough time in Canada to avoid paying perment resident taxes whereas he usually pays them in Arizona.

Wouldn’t he spend more time in Canada, in a Canadian division.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Signing bonuses don't do anything in this case. It's about where he has to pay taxes, with a Canadian division, he likely doesn't spend enough time in Canada to avoid paying perment resident taxes whereas he usually pays them in Arizona.

but it does

our tax year is coming to an end

so this means it would impact salary (negligible) and any signing bonuses next year.

I would assume what they'll do is defer signing bonuses next season to 2022 as that's when the world will get back to normal.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Could be boring watching the same teams over and over but could also lead to come added hate developing. That I'd like to see.

It will take Kassian, Tkechuck,Virtanen and Gallaghar one shift to change all that. The level of hate Canadian teams are going to have after this season will be at all time high

There cannot be any boring hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
but it does

our tax year is coming to an end

so this means it would impact salary (negligible) and any signing bonuses next year.

I would assume what they'll do is defer signing bonuses next season to 2022 as that's when the world will get back to normal.
He's going to get hit for it for 2021, if there is a Canadian division, and then next season starts close to on time. I doubt they will defer the payment. Sucks for him, but its whatever. He'll just have to join Tavares and Marner is paying high-taxes.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Which is what I said, a Canadian division is going to financially hurt guys who declare residency in the states.

I guess I was confused about the part where you said, “he doesn’t spend enough time in Canada”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Sportsnet gets significant increase in viewership, one has to wonder if thr Canadian division might stick around.

NBC/Fox may also not put up much of a fight to reverse things ....

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Sportsnet gets significant viewer increase in viewership, one has to wonder if thr Canadian division might stick around.

NBC/Fox may also put up much of a fight to reverse things ....

While a good point, I don’t think the teams would like all that travel.
Teams in the east wouldn’t like the late start times, and vica versa I feel.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While a good point, I don’t think the teams would like all that travel.
Teams in the east wouldn’t like the late start times, and vica versa I feel.

Fair point. Though Florida isnt exactly close as far as travel is concerned.

Another potential change thag could stick around is if the league moves towards teams playing against one another multiple times in a row. Which could cut down the travel burden a bit

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Like it or not, the Cdn division is an idea whose time has come. We need one more Cdn team though. It makes sense. Viewership would go up Canada side and rivalries would increase.

Bettmans rigging has ruined the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLM-Line

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Apparently 4 teams from the division will make the playoffs with the first 2 round being played in division (as usual).

This is a big chance for us here, play up to our abilities and we can beat every team in Canada imo. A potential final 4 spot without having to fight Tampa/Boston is an opportunity we can't waste.

Reactions: tmlfan98

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
My wife is a Yank and she files 2 returns - first in Canada and then in US. But she is a Canadian resident. After she pays Canadian taxes her American taxes owing are nothing. US taxes are a tiny fraction of Canadian taxes.
One of my sons is a dual citizen in hockey and lives/resides in Florida but used to play here in Canada most of his home games. His team deducted his tax withholding every 2 weeks from his pay. and then you have to deal with CRA to get back some tax withholdings as a US resident. Da teams have no say in this issue. And unless you have a great tax plan which expensive tax accountants prepare/defend for you you are not gonna fight them on your own. It is complex stuff like real complex. Guys like Matty would pay well north of $100K per on this expertise at like $1,800 per hour.
Yes I too was married to a Yanker but I lived down there and closed all my accounts here before leaving Canada , so under the code I had no ties or intentions of returning which spared me the 2 return ordeal , after I moved back 11 years later CRA inquired about my status to put it lightly but because I was legally separated when I returned and they couldn't find any ties proving I had intended to return all along they had to let it go .

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
It will take Kassian, Tkechuck,Virtanen and Gallaghar one shift to change all that. The level of hate Canadian teams are going to have after this season will be at all time high

There cannot be any boring hockey.

oh really? It'll be higher than when Tucker, Corson, Roberrts, Domi, and Belak were around? Or Orr and Mclaren and Fraser and the very first game with the Habs there was Tinordi, Prust, Murray, Parros etc....?

What's a rivalry to you guys nowadays? JUst some games that sorta have a scrum here and there...the hope that there might be some harsh words?

The rivalries now are usually among fans. And media. Sure the players will prefer playing against these teams, their rivals...a bit. But it will never be what it once was. When guys are seen joking around with each other in warmups and playing frikkin rock paper scissors...I mean.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can’t wait for the reaction when west coast teams play at 4pm to appease the leafs

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I can’t wait for the reaction when west coast teams play at 4pm to appease the leafs

That won’t happen this year, sure it’s ok a couple of times a year, not this year, east coast will have to watch later and vice a versa.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That won’t happen this year, sure it’s ok a couple of times a year, not this year, east coast will have to watch later and vice a versa.

why do you think that?
Wouldn’t ratings be more important this year than any other year?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
So do teams only play other teams in their division? How does that work, 3 teams make the playoffs with Wild card spots?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
why do you think that?
Wouldn’t ratings be more important this year than any other year?

Sure there important, but an all Canadian division gets good results no matter what. It’s not happening this year with so many games between east and west. Just get used to staying up later this year is all I can say.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sure there important, but an all Canadian division gets good results no matter what. It’s not happening this year with so many games between east and west. Just get used to staying up later this year is all I can say.

again. It happens every Saturday night and has forever. Why would that Change now?

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

It has nothing to do with appeasing the Leafs. It's because the ad revenue is so much lower at 11 PM, Viewership is way down. Hence why it has to start at 7 PM Eastern time. Rogers paid Billions for the rights. They need to make that money back.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It has nothing to do with appeasing the Leafs. It's because the ad revenue is so much lower at 11 PM, Viewership is way down. Hence why it has to start at 7 PM Eastern time. Rogers paid Billions for the rights. They need to make that money back.

yes that’s a better way to put it sure. Leafs fans want to watch games at 7 not 10. Toronto has the most fans/makes the most money.

Therefore. They play at 4pm on weekends and have forever. That will be more important now than ever

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
yes that’s a better way to put it sure. Leafs fans want to watch games at 7 not 10. Toronto has the most fans/makes the most money.

Therefore. They play at 4pm on weekends and have forever. That will be more important now than ever
Leafs=Money. That's all networks care about. People out West don't get that. They think it's simply guys who are Leafs fans calling the shots. They'll go bankrupt showing the Winnipeg Jets instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->