What do you drive?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
2021 Cadillac XT4

I f***ing love it

love the look of those. The lady drives a BMW X1 which feels too small for me, and I think the XT4 is similar in size. I wish they took the mid size XT5 and gave it the same look as the 4 and the 6, but instead they rounded the shit out of it and turned it into a more bulbous Buick Enclave.

Packages and options drive the price up quick on all Cadillacs these days too. Very sharp looking cars though. Hopefully in a year or two the twin turbo 6 pot CT5 hits the used lots

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
^^^^Ugh. Always sucks when that happens.

On the good news front, my new rims finally showed up just in time to be a birthday present to myself.

View attachment 374654

I put snow tires on the OEM rims, and I store those at my mom's place; she lives in a nicer neighbourhood and has a lot bigger storage locker in her building than I do in mine. She's taken to calling the new rims my "pimp wheels". In her defense, her experience with pimps is very limited.

Just got the aftermarket exhaust I ordered with the rims...and I hate it. God, it's f***ing annoying. MASS cabin drone right in the 2800-3200 rpm range, which is of course right exactly in the range of everyday driving. Bought some sound deadening lining, going to coat the trunk and trunk lid with it. If that doesn't reduce the cabin drone to a level I can live with, then I'll just have to have them put the OEM exhaust back on because dammit, it's just too much. It's drowning out my stereo, and that I just can't have. Driving my car has gone from fun to miserable in one day.

Last edited:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just got the aftermarket exhaust I ordered with the rims...and I hate it. God, it's f***ing annoying. MASS cabin drone right in the 2800-3200 rpm range, which is of course right exactly in the range of everyday driving. Bought some sound deadening lining, going to coat the trunk and trunk lid with it. If that doesn't reduce the cabin drone to a level I can live with, then I'll just have to have them put the OEM exhaust back on because dammit, it's just too much. It's drowning out my stereo, and that I just can't have. Driving my car has gone from fun to miserable in one day.
Thats a bummer man. Exhaust mods always feel like a coin flip

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thats a bummer man. Exhaust mods always feel like a coin flip
And it's the invidia Q300 exhaust...which is supposed to be the quieter aftermarket exhaust. I've spent the last three months reading reviews of it being too quiet, jokers saying the Q stands for quiet, youtube videos of decibel meters and people saying the drone point was higher up in the rev range...all for naught. I have no idea who the deaf people are who wrote those reviews.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
And it's the invidia Q300 exhaust...which is supposed to be the quieter aftermarket exhaust. I've spent the last three months reading reviews of it being too quiet, jokers saying the Q stands for quiet, youtube videos of decibel meters and people saying the drone point was higher up in the rev range...all for naught. I have no idea who the deaf people are who wrote those reviews.
Many moons ago I got a ticket cause my 3.1 Beretta GT had cherry bombs on it. Was still passing emissions and pretty darn loud. Cop said if I got proper mufflers he'd drop the ticket. So on went a magnaflow cat, dual magnaflow mufflers with a true quad output! Car was twice as loud and I was setting off peoples car alarms daily. Take that copper!

So yeah nothing to do with your situation but thats my mod story :)

What a beaut
frontshot.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Many moons ago I got a ticket cause my 3.1 Beretta GT had cherry bombs on it. Was still passing emissions and pretty darn loud. Cop said if I got proper mufflers he'd drop the ticket. So on went a magnaflow cat, dual magnaflow mufflers with a true quad output! Car was twice as loud and I was setting off peoples car alarms daily. Take that copper!

So yeah nothing to do with your situation but thats my mod story :)

What a beaut View attachment 379673

:laugh:

On a sadder note, I spent the afternoon taking out the lining in my trunk and putting in dynamat, and it did f*** all to solve the problem. Even downloaded a decibel meter to my phone to get accurate before and after measurements. Nope. Sometimes it's echoing so loud it makes me want to unplug my ears. So now I'm going to just hope it breaks as I drive it for a couple of weeks, because I'm done throwing good money after bad. Still have the OEM exhaust crammed into my storage locker, and if it hasn't gotten to the point where the drone mellows out or I decide I can live with it by the time we take down the tree and Xmas stuff, the invidia crap is coming off and the original one's going back on.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if it happened at 4k or 4.5k like the reviews I was seeing online; then I could choose to go there or not. But 3k is right smack-dab in the middle of unavoidable everyday putzing around in traffic.

Edit: Okay, one week later, and I *am* getting a little used to it. So far the only time I can say I genuinely like it is when the vtec and tunes are both cranked. Every other driving situation, not so much. Were I a younger man, I'd just say: hey, every time you turn the key, turn the tunes up to full! Problem solved! Nowadays, not so much. But I am getting to a point where I can seriously entertain keeping it on the car, or at least keeping it in case something happens to the car and I try my luck with a newer model.

Last edited:

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Getting my new Peugeot e-2008 GT tomorrow.

First electrical car and first French car. Handing my German Passport in tomorrow. :sarcasm:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
:laugh:

On a sadder note, I spent the afternoon taking out the lining in my trunk and putting in dynamat, and it did f*** all to solve the problem. Even downloaded a decibel meter to my phone to get accurate before and after measurements. Nope. Sometimes it's echoing so loud it makes me want to unplug my ears. So now I'm going to just hope it breaks as I drive it for a couple of weeks, because I'm done throwing good money after bad. Still have the OEM exhaust crammed into my storage locker, and if it hasn't gotten to the point where the drone mellows out or I decide I can live with it by the time we take down the tree and Xmas stuff, the invidia crap is coming off and the original one's going back on.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if it happened at 4k or 4.5k like the reviews I was seeing online; then I could choose to go there or not. But 3k is right smack-dab in the middle of unavoidable everyday putzing around in traffic.

Edit: Okay, one week later, and I *am* getting a little used to it. So far the only time I can say I genuinely like it is when the vtec and tunes are both cranked. Every other driving situation, not so much. Were I a younger man, I'd just say: hey, every time you turn the key, turn the tunes up to full! Problem solved! Nowadays, not so much. But I am getting to a point where I can seriously entertain keeping it on the car, or at least keeping it in case something happens to the car and I try my luck with a newer model.

Update for my vast army of followers: it didn't break in. It's a misery for my ears. It's coming off the car tomorrow, and the shop's going to sell it on craigslist for me. I just don't like it enough for enough of the time. Also, the year of covid didn't do great things to my bank account, so whatever fantasies I harboured about putting downpipes on the car have pretty much evaporated anyway.

Do not mod your daily driver.

*edit* Done. Oh, that is SO MUCH BETTER. It feels like having a rotten tooth pulled.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Lately I've been thinking to trade my GTI in for the Mk 8 Golf R when they get to the states, maybe a year from now.
Mechanically speaking it just sounds like too much fun not to own one, even if the styling of the nose will take some getting used to.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lately I've been thinking to trade my GTI in for the Mk 8 Golf R when they get to the states, maybe a year from now.
Mechanically speaking it just sounds like too much fun not to own one, even if the styling of the nose will take some getting used to.

You could get a 2019 Golf R which looks closer to the GTI.

2018-volkswagen-golf-r-6mt-1545153574.jpg

My brother has one in proper manual and he loves it. Though I here the DSG on it is excellent.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
You could get a 2019 Golf R which looks closer to the GTI.

The incoming model will finally have full-rear wheel bias on demand--makes it quite a bit faster than the outgoing model despite only a modest horsepower bump.
Just can't see myself saying no to that, haha.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
2013 Gmc Sierra. First vehicle I have ever owned that was new. I love it, I got a very close to base model in terms of features. No Bluetooth, leather, heat in seats, bench seat with flip up console but its got so much space inside the cab, and has been very reliable.

Wife has a 2014 Honda CRV, also love that vehicle. Great fuel economy, handling in the winter conditions although it seems very light. Good ground clearance to make it up some pretty brutal roads to get into camp. Only downside, hate the amount of road noise inside the cabin on highways.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
winter tires had 3/32's left when i put them on, and i've not been gentle on them. hope the ice doesn't last much longer or they'll be bald in bit. on the plus side i've been able to whip the tail out a few times.
hoping there will be seasonal sales on winter tires after the winter is over?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just got myself a Mazda3 2.5 GT. Hatchback, with the 6-speed manual. I haven't had this much fun in a car in a long time. It's all growls and burbles, lots of low-end torque. Not rev-happy like most Japanese cars but more like my old Volvo S60R. I wish I had bought this car 5 years ago, it's everything I ever needed in a car.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I had a 4 series BMW, but sold that a few weeks back since I don't need to drive anywhere any time soon as my team at my company is indefinitely remote. So right now I have a Nissan Rogue lease I'm finishing out for $169 a month :laugh:

I think I'll get a Tesla in a year or two

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
5.7LHemi, 20 inch wheels, gas chugging 400hp, earth shaking, RAM. Best auto I've ever owned. It's like driving your couch. It's the only auto that I've had for more than 2 years and have not wanted to trade it on on something different. I've had 13 cars in the last 27 years

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
5.7LHemi, 20 inch wheels, gas chugging 400hp, earth shaking, RAM. Best auto I've ever owned. It's like driving your couch. It's the only auto that I've had for more than 2 years and have not wanted to trade it on on something different. I've had 13 cars in the last 27 years

Does it have an electronic wheel for a shifter? I drove a 2017 hemi ram recently and I loved everything about it but the shift knob. It felt so wrong flipping a tiny little wheel to shift into reverse, as if I was gently turning the heat off or something.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Does it have an electronic wheel for a shifter? I drove a 2017 hemi ram recently and I loved everything about it but the shift knob. It felt so wrong flipping a tiny little wheel to shift into reverse, as if I was gently turning the heat off or something.

Yep it does, it was weird for the first year but now I'm use to it. If there was one thing I don't like it would be that dial tranny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad