What do you drive?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I hate the way they do that with trucks now. Now you have this big damn console in the middle messing up your leg room. I used to have a Colorado crew cab, that had a column shifter. You could just set the cruise, manspread and chew up miles down the interstate in that thing. Like @Bluelines said, it was like driving a couch. Going 100 mph felt like nothing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I hate the way they do that with trucks now. Now you have this big damn console in the middle messing up your leg room. I used to have a Colorado crew cab, that had a column shifter. You could just set the cruise, manspread and chew up miles down the interstate in that thing. Like @Bluelines said, it was like driving a couch. Going 100 mph felt like nothing.

The Rams have coil shocks vs the old school, leaf springs, Rams drive more like a SUV than a truck, you don't get the back end jitter you'd get in other trucks. IMO they feel more planted to the road. Can't beat the comfort.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Yep it does, it was weird for the first year but now I'm use to it. If there was one thing I don't like it would be that dial tranny.
No one I know likes that dial for the gear selector. If they wanted to save space they should have put a gear selector stalk similar to what Mercedes-Benz has been doing for years. It's not perfect, and it took some getting used to, but it retains the familiarity of shifting gears in a more traditional manner.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Just bought a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost. I absolutely love it!
That is the best bang for your buck. Those motors can be worked with very little effort to put out 400 HP. If it can be had with a manual tranny you will have a great combination of power and fuel economy.

My Advice is to chip it and put a nice sounding, NOT OBNOXIOUS cat-back exhaust on.

Reactions: Saitama

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
No one I know likes that dial for the gear selector. If they wanted to save space they should have put a gear selector stalk similar to what Mercedes-Benz has been doing for years. It's not perfect, and it took some getting used to, but it retains the familiarity of shifting gears in a more traditional manner.
The new Ford F-150's come with the standard console shifter, but it actually folds down for when your honey wants to *ahem show you some attention. Fords saving one shoulder at a time

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I am in love with my car.

If you have the chance to buy a Benz.......dooooooo it.

It's funny that someone liked my post today......got my 1st speeding ticket in 20 years yesterday. 85 in a 55. Accurate.

Given that I speed every time I drive (not exaggerating) I can't complain even though I am a very attentive driver. I knew it was end of month and the highway patrol was out, but I was late for an appt and a little distracted. As soon as I saw him with the radar gun, I started pulling over from the fast lane. Time for traffic school, gotta keep my clean record.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It's funny that someone liked my post today......got my 1st speeding ticket in 20 years yesterday. 85 in a 55. Accurate.

Given that I speed every time I drive (not exaggerating) I can't complain even though I am a very attentive driver. I knew it was end of month and the highway patrol was out, but I was late for an appt and a little distracted. As soon as I saw him with the radar gun, I started pulling over from the fast lane. Time for traffic school, gotta keep my clean record.

Had traffic court today. The judge tried to do me a solid in regards to being 30 MPH over the limit, because that's 4 points and not 2. But the patrolman clocked me 3 different times at 85, not just once. There was really no wiggle room to give me a break, but he did cut 1/3 off of the total fine.

There is no traffic school in Ohio to remove points, only the judge can do so.

Reactions: hockeynjune

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
165k miles on the 2012, never had fluids other than oil replaced. It started to shudder shift a bit a couple weeks ago so I spent $200 and did the trans fluid (well, about half of it anyway), the filter, and the pan/gasket. The factory pan didn't have a plug, so I bought a new pan with a plug. Over the course of the last 3 days I've been slowly flushing out the coolant. Started Monday morning by plucking 20 plastic clips under the bumper to remove a huge plastic shield. Popped the drain plug then filled back up with water and a bottle of chem flush. I've now drained, filled, driven, repeat...about 7 times. Still not quite there yet, as each drain I can only get 40-50% of the coolant out at a time.

Attachments

• Flush.jpg
    Flush.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 10

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Downgraded my 2017 Ford XLT to a 2020 Mazda 3 Sport Hatch. I really like the blood red leather interior though. Technically I upgraded in interior comfort and gas milage but lost in storage, road clearance and passenger capacity.

2019-Mazda3-AWD-hatchback-32.jpg

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Downgraded my 2017 Ford XLT to a 2020 Mazda 3 Sport Hatch. I really like the blood red leather interior though. Technically I upgraded in interior comfort and gas milage but lost in storage, road clearance and passenger capacity.

2019-Mazda3-AWD-hatchback-32.jpg
This has to be way more fun to drive!

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
yes and no. I am a bit conflicted lol.

It is more enjoyable for the interior comfort, sunroof and bose sound system. But on the other hand it doesn't have the raw power and sound of the 5.0 V8 which I really enjoyed.

ahhh yeah i can see understand that. just have to think of it as a go cart and whip it around.

Reactions: tacogeoff

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
yes and no. I am a bit conflicted lol.

It is more enjoyable for the interior comfort, sunroof and bose sound system. But on the other hand it doesn't have the raw power and sound of the 5.0 V8 which I really enjoyed.
Likely much more fun on the twisties though...

Reactions: tacogeoff

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
As many of you know I lease a 2018 Mazda CX9 for my lady. It was supposed to go back 3 weeks ago. 4 days before it was supposed to go back she wrecked it. Not enough to be totaled, but $10 grand in damage. She is ok. Anyway. I have decided I will not lease her another car. When it comes back from the shop I have to return it.

She continues to drive to Manhattan on a near-daily basis racking up miles and the parking garages that she parks in play bumper car demolition derby with her cars. In addition, she just doesn't take care of her cars. They're always filthy, crap all over the place inside. Bag after bag of garbage from coffee cups snacks etc.... So now I need to find her an SUV that's large enough for a car seat because we just had another baby, and big enough for her to haul all her event crap around and a third row.

I'm in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear from anyone else who may want to chime in.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As many of you know I lease a 2018 Mazda CX9 for my lady. It was supposed to go back 3 weeks ago. 4 days before it was supposed to go back she wrecked it. Not enough to be totaled, but $10 grand in damage. She is ok. Anyway. I have decided I will not lease her another car. When it comes back from the shop I have to return it.

She continues to drive to Manhattan on a near-daily basis racking up miles and the parking garages that she parks in play bumper car demolition derby with her cars. In addition, she just doesn't take care of her cars. They're always filthy, crap all over the place inside. Bag after bag of garbage from coffee cups snacks etc.... So now I need to find her an SUV that's large enough for a car seat because we just had another baby, and big enough for her to haul all her event crap around and a third row.

I'm in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear from anyone else who may want to chime in.
I'm assuming the amount quoted above is for a used vehicle, or is this what you're willing to spend on per year?

Anywho - have you ever considered a mini-van instead of an suv?

You'll likely have more space for shit in the back - still have a 3rd row - and will likely cost less than a suv with the same requirements...Sienna also has AWD models available, and starting in 2021 they're all hybrid.

Mini-vans - Honda Odyssey, or the Toyota Sienna...SUV - Honda Pilot, or Toyota Highlander (I'm a Ford guy, but my brother who's a Ford mechanic told me to stay away from the Explorer for the past several years due to crappy quality control - however the Ford Edge is fantastic, but it's a tad small for your needs).

Hope this helps.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm assuming the amount quoted above is for a used vehicle, or is this what you're willing to spend on per year?

Anywho - have you ever considered a mini-van instead of an suv?

You'll likely have more space for shit in the back - still have a 3rd row - and will likely cost less than a suv with the same requirements...Sienna also has AWD models available, and starting in 2021 they're all hybrid.

Mini-vans - Honda Odyssey, or the Toyota Sienna...SUV - Honda Pilot, or Toyota Highlander (I'm a Ford guy, but my brother who's a Ford mechanic told me to stay away from the Explorer for the past several years due to crappy quality control - however the Ford Edge is fantastic, but it's a tad small for your needs).

Hope this helps.
I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan that I use for work. Plan C is putting her in it for a while until I figure things out. She looks at it as a punishment. Which in a way it is. Plus, she is unemployed due to COVID and I don't need the extra bill. I really don't want to lease again.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan that I use for work. Plan C is putting her in it for a while until I figure things out. She looks at it as a punishment. Which in a way it is. Plus, she is unemployed due to COVID and I don't need the extra bill. I really don't want to lease again.

Meaning no offense, she has reaped what she has sown. Thankfully she is okay though.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Meaning no offense, she has reaped what she has sown. Thankfully she is okay though.
She doesn't take care of her cars. She lets the parking garages get away with murder. She parks in compromising positions that have caused major damage to the cars etc....

Here is a quick rundown

2005 4Runner: Parked in a spot she knew there would be truck traffic. Yes, she was parked legally. A truck hit the truck and ripped the bumper and grill off. Guess who had to drive out to the f***ing Hamptons on a Saturday night/Sunday morning to pick her dyke ass up. This N-word!

2014 4Runner: The Truck was 7 months old and a f***ing bus hits her are rips the entire nose off the truck. The best way to describe how it looked it like this. This generation 4runner has a huge plastic/fiberglass nose. It was mangled in such away that it looked like Darth Vaders melted helmet. This one wasn't her fault, but it still happened. It's still an insurance claim.

2018 Mazda CX9: She doesn't like this car so she doesn't give a f***. This accident was mostly her fault. It's yet another insurance claim. This is MY insurance policy. I pay the bills and I am pissed off.

Now she is like I want a Lincoln Navigator. A Lincoln Navigator!? I wanna get her a bus pass and a bicycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
She doesn't take care of her cars. She lets the parking garages get away with murder. She parks in compromising positions that have caused major damage to the cars etc....

Here is a quick rundown

2005 4Runner: Parked in a spot she knew there would be truck traffic. Yes, she was parked legally. A truck hit the truck and ripped the bumper and grill off. Guess who had to drive out to the f***ing Hamptons on a Saturday night/Sunday morning to pick her dyke ass up. This N-word!

2014 4Runner: The Truck was 7 months old and a f***ing bus hits her are rips the entire nose off the truck. The best way to describe how it looked it like this. This generation 4runner has a huge plastic/fiberglass nose. It was mangled in such away that it looked like Darth Vaders melted helmet. This one wasn't her fault, but it still happened. It's still an insurance claim.

2018 Mazda CX9: She doesn't like this car so she doesn't give a f***. This accident was mostly her fault. It's yet another insurance claim. This is MY insurance policy. I pay the bills and I am pissed off.

Now she is like I want a Lincoln Navigator. A Lincoln Navigator!? I wanna get her a bus pass and a bicycle.

Damn, son.

I'm just another guy on the internet that doesn't know you or her personally, and I'm not trying to offend you at all, but it sure seems like she is taking full advantage of your money.

Lincoln f***ing Navigator? :laugh: She better learn to like that damn Caravan, for real.

Last edited by a moderator:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Anybody have a motorcycle? I've always loved the idea of having one, but have never actually driven one. It seems kinda hard to break into. I don't know anyone that has one. I think to start I'd have to take the beginner's class offered by the DMV. That'd get me my license and a basic understanding of everything. Just not sure if that's how people usually pick it up. I'd imagine many start by riding with their dads, but my dad was more of a Toyota Avalon kinda guy.

Also, would have to convince my wife, who used to be a PICU nurse. That's probably a harder battle.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Here is a quick rundown

Damn, son.

I'm just another guy on the internet that doesn't know you or her personally, and I'm not trying to offend you at all, but it sure seems like she is taking full advantage of your money.

Lincoln f***ing Navigator? :laugh: She better learn to like that damn Caravan, for real.
Yeah - she does sound spoiled - commuting via mass transit for a while might be a good lesson for her...She'll learn to appreciate, and care for what her spouse provides her next time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad