Silver Seven What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
keep in mind he's only played one season's worth of games in the AHL. And is 22.

Play him and see what we have at the nhl level.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
the division is weaker than last year we can make it IF the young guys show up
Why is it in the 3 young dudes lol. We need the f***ing old guys to show up and play at a level they have never played at in their entire careers.

even then. Only 1 team makes it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why is it in the 3 young dudes lol. We need the f***ing old guys to show up and play at a level they have never played at in their entire careers.

even then. Only 1 team makes it.
uh? Its a rebuild. You literally need guys like Batherson Norris Tkachuk Stutzle and Chabot to develop and carry the load. Until they do we won't make the playoffs. Stepan can put up 50 points but if the youth don't prove to be talented NHL players this team isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
uh? Its a rebuild. You literally need guys like Batherson Norris Tkachuk Stutzle and Chabot to develop and carry the load. Until they do we won't make the playoffs. Stepan can put up 50 points but if the youth don't prove to be talented NHL players this team isn't going anywhere.
This team is mostly old plugs. No amount of “development” from 3 guys (we know what tkatchuk and Chabot bring so I don’t count them for this) is going to push us into the playoffs. That is asking so so so much from norris bath and stutzle.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This team is mostly old plugs. No amount of “development” from 3 guys (we know what tkatchuk and Chabot bring so I don’t count them for this) is going to push us into the playoffs. That is asking so so so much from norris bath and stutzle.

the team is not mostly old guys though. It looks like more than half the top 6 forward will be youth. Our top defensemen slot is also a youth. I suspect we see Wolanin take a spot in the top 4 soon aswell. We also have youth in the netminder positions

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
the team is not mostly old guys though. It looks like more than half the top 6 forward will be youth. Our top defensemen slot is also a youth. I suspect we see Wolanin take a spot in the top 4 soon aswell. We also have youth in the netminder positions
If these guys drag the team to the playoffs I will put money on the sens winning the cup in 2022. And I’ll do it again for 23.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If these guys drag the team to the playoffs I will put money on the sens winning the cup in 2022. And I’ll do it again for 23.
for sure. I mean thats how the Avs and Leafs got out of being bottom feeders. Their youth took them there. Until that happens for us we aren't going anywhere and its not up to the vets to do it anyways as they are here for support.

I have faith in these guys to take a step this year. Batherson has to really show up

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Lonnie Loach II

Jan 14, 2021
Clearly something has been going on in the background for a while. The change in agents is the tell tale sign. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was told to go home and wait for a trade.

I agree with the other posters re: Dorion.......personally I am not sold on his drafting record - supposedly his greatest strength but I'd like to see some actual data about his track record. But more than anything, is there an overall vision for building the club from drafting/development/trading/coaching selection that does not depend on the coach of the day.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
for sure. I mean thats how the Avs and Leafs got out of being bottom feeders. Their youth took them there. Until that happens for us we aren't going anywhere and its not up to the vets to do it anyways as they are here for support.

I have faith in these guys to take a step this year. Batherson has to really show up
We don’t have mackinnons and Matthews. We need to surround these players with better vets. They need help

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We don’t have mackinnons and Matthews. We need to surround these players with better vets. They need help
I think we have better talented depth coming through than toronto did at the time. thankfully Chabot and Tkachuk are developing well and if we hit on Stuztle Norris and Batherson then our team is a LOT better. Just my opinion. If you feel we have to have a matthews then you better hope he suck next year and get the number 1 pick. They can't jsut go out and trade for those players.

PLD would be a massive gain but i suspect they will always gun for Stuztle or Tkachuk

R2010

May 23, 2011
What do you mean here? I doubt there was stuff that some teams knew and others didn't. I think everybody knew he was a long term project, mainly due to his size and the time it takes to grow into that kind of body, a giant and skilled playmaker. Not a "safe pick" whatsoever but more like a boom or bust. It's all about projection and faith. It's about how much they believe that the guy will develop and what he will end up as a finished product. They draft Shane Pinto because they see him becoming a pretty good hockey player, versus a guy that had the junior recognition (Kaliyev)

Sometimes teams are right but most of the time they are wrong, like when they picked Gabriel Gagne. He could have been a really good player if he developped as they thought he would but unfortunately for them (and us fans), it's a guy that didn't develop much after being drafted. They are prototypes that end up working or not, or partially.

Look at some pre draft rankings :
  • Consensus: 9
  • Craig Button (TSN) – 7
  • ISS: 7
  • Hockey Prospect: 7
  • McKeens: 9
  • NHL Central Scouting Combined: 10
  • Corey Pronman: 12
  • Draft Buzz: 12
  • Future Considerations: 12
  • Bob McKenzie (TSN) – 13
It doesn't look like a reach or a guy that fell in the rankings, he was pretty much taken around where he should have been and when you're looking back at a draft and don't see that many "better options" among the guys taken not long after, it's a good sign.

The 2016 draft wasn't that great. Sure you have Matthews and Laine at the top and other very good top-10 picks like Dubois, Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, Puljujarvi? but after that, good/great players are scarce. In hindsight, we missed on McAvoy and/or Chychrun but that might be it for the 1st round. I still have some faith that Logan Brown will do something in the NHL, no idea how good and how long but I bet many NHL teams would take himif available. Teams are always looking for skill, particularly when it comes in that kind of body. For most teams, Brown won't have to be gritty or physical, just not being easy to push off the puck and good to protect the puck will suffice.

I agree with all of this. I think the hype I meant was insiders close to the draft saying he could go even as high as 5.

upload_2021-1-14_12-34-15.png

Reactions: Xspyrit

Lonnie Loach II

Jan 14, 2021
Does Logan have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft? If so, I expect him to be moved at a fire sale price

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Small sample size, but I’ve never been impressed with Logan. That being said, he’s never really gotten a fair chance in the NHL.
This would be the year to give him a good chance when we’re not making the playoffs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm basing this on his entire career to date.

He could prove me wrong, but I will currently give the benefit of the doubt to the fact that this is now his fifth team in five years.

5th team in 5 years. Ya that's true. His situation is a bit different though. He put together 6 decent seasons in Montreal. He was traded even up for Domi. Goes to Arizona where everyone's number drop and he's swapped for Kessel. Last year clearly didn't work out for him, but I've heard reference twice now to him being injured last year, once by an HF poster and two weeks or so ago DJ said he played on a bad knee last year.

I don't know what to expect from Galchenyuk and admittedly was puzzled with that signing. But he's not old, and the injury last year seems to be real with DJ acknowledging it.

The 6 seasons prior he put up
118 goals, 269 points in 447 games, which is a 20 goal 49 point pace.

Hopefully the knee has recovered and he's a useful player

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And that brings up the point again.....how hasn't Brown earned a spot? Has anyone come out and said what the kid has been doing wrong in this camp? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but aside from 30 second of scrimmage videos, I haven't seen f-all from camp over the last week (or whenever they started).

It would be nice to hear directly from the coach why Brown hasn't made it this time.

So on Norris, Dorion said of our centers he can fly up and down the ice. On Brown he said one of our best on the PP, not quite there yet 5 on 5.

Make of that what you will

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
5th team in 5 years. Ya that's true. His situation is a bit different though. He put together 6 decent seasons in Montreal. He was traded even up for Domi. Goes to Arizona where everyone's number drop and he's swapped for Kessel. Last year clearly didn't work out for him, but I've heard reference twice now to him being injured last year, once by an HF poster and two weeks or so ago DJ said he played on a bad knee last year.

I don't know what to expect from Galchenyuk and admittedly was puzzled with that signing. But he's not old, and the injury last year seems to be real with DJ acknowledging it.

The 6 seasons prior he put up
118 goals, 269 points in 447 games, which is a 20 goal 49 point pace.

Hopefully the knee has recovered and he's a useful player

His offensive ability has never been in question but 6 decent seasons in mtl where very one dimensional.

I was good with giving him a shot at 1 mil, but my expectations are nil when taking into account the type of game DJ coaches. If Stützle struggles or Tkachuk gets injured maybe he gets a shot, but i don't like how its started with him pretty quickly on the 5th libe in camp

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His offensive ability has never been in question but 6 decent seasons in mtl where very one dimensional.

I was good with giving him a shot at 1 mil, but my expectations are nil when taking into account the type of game DJ coaches. If Stützle struggles or Tkachuk gets injured maybe he gets a shot, but i don't like how its started with him pretty quickly on the 5th libe in camp

Ya, i hear you. Another view is we've got an NHL player waiting to play that can rot until we need him.

It's a weird year. The best value of plugs this year is you can treat them in away that you cannot treat guys you are trying to develop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad