Silver Seven What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In a year where you most certainly most ceeeeeerrrtainly are not making the playoffs, you play him. Even if you want to trade him. You play him.

this is of course barring he’s absolute nightmare to work with and he just dogs practice every single time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And that brings up the point again.....how hasn't Brown earned a spot? Has anyone come out and said what the kid has been doing wrong in this camp? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but aside from 30 second of scrimmage videos, I haven't seen f-all from camp over the last week (or whenever they started).

It would be nice to hear directly from the coach why Brown hasn't made it this time.
You won’t get any honesty. You’ll get the same buzzwords. (Which is standard unless you’re coach is torts)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
this is of course barring he’s absolute nightmare to work with and he just dogs practice every single time.

This is the only explanation that makes any kind of logical sense.

The alternative being that our management and coaching staff is incompetent from both a player development point of view and an asset management point of view.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And that brings up the point again.....how hasn't Brown earned a spot? Has anyone come out and said what the kid has been doing wrong in this camp? Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but aside from 30 second of scrimmage videos, I haven't seen f-all from camp over the last week (or whenever they started).

It would be nice to hear directly from the coach why Brown hasn't made it this time.

Well a very crowded center position combined with Norris apparently being better is probably big components of the answer.

Stepan and Tierney were never getting pushed out of the top 9 and Brown isn't really an option for the bottom 6 the way DJ seems to like it (on another team i could easily see him on a scoring 3rd).

So that really doesnt leave a lot of spots for Brown to compete for with Norris, Anisimov and White also vying for mins.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
My issue with these "effort/competitiveness" arguments is that they are never uniformly applied.

Once we see Galchenyuk loafing around it totally undermines the credibility of the argument that if someone like Logan Brown appeared to work harder, he'd make the team.
Yeah, probably. That's the guy that sticks out as a roster spot block. If Galchenyuk gets PP2 time, that's where I'd prefer Brown to be but not at the expense of a regular shift I suppose. If the option is 10 mins a night in the NHL with PP2 time or a regular shift in the AHL, I would think the latter option is best for Brown. Isn't that what we're expecting from Galchenyuk right now?

But you are right and I admit I am grasping at straws a bit.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
In a year where you most certainly most ceeeeeerrrtainly are not making the playoffs, you play him. Even if you want to trade him. You play him.

This has to be it, because DJ heaped praise on Norris after a scrimmage game where he gave the puck away leading to two goals.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My issue with these "effort/competitiveness" arguments is that they are never uniformly applied.

Once we see Galchenyuk loafing around it totally undermines the credibility of the argument that if someone like Logan Brown appeared to work harder, he'd make the team.

Pure skill guys with limited grit/intensity just don't mesh with DJ Smith

It's no surprise that guys like Rudolfs Balcers, Logan Brown, Bobby Ryan, Anthony Duclair, Erik Brannstrom are gone or probably won't be in long term plans. Might as well build a package around Logan Brown, Erik Brannstrom, our 1st and a 2nd (should be a pretty good basis for Dubois for example)

You can "get away with it" if you're an excellent skater like Duclair, but in the end I'm not sure he played the way "we want to play"

In that sense, Galchenyuk signing is kinda puzzling. Unless he is fully commited and shows a seriously "refined" game, he won't last very long with the master DJ. Also, no idea why they drafted Roby Jarventie. If DJ Smith is here long term, I don't think that's the kind of player that will mesh with the DJ

Colin White clearly understood that and bulked up in a major way during the "offseason"

All this grit/intensity is great and everything but I see 2 major downsides here :

- more penalties where we will get scored on a lot because teams have major weapons and I'm not sure our PK will be a strenght

- it will lead to more injuries. Personally, I'd rather have depht players like Paquette, Watson and Josh Brown play this way and my top players to not risk injuries every game. I mean more than they already do. Example, look at Auston Watson, the kind of body he has and how often he gets injured

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’ve gone through a few phases of shock around the roster construction. At this point I’m no longer worried about Brown’s development.

As much as Norris won the job I think there will be some hiccups or injuries that may see Norris slide out and Brown or others slide in.

There are some extra games available too if Belleville can make the playoffs. I’d be surprised if Brown didn’t play 20-17 NHL games this year.

Reactions: Yourkeyparka

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

The alternative being that our management and coaching staff is incompetent from both a player development point of view and an asset management point of view.

DJ smith only cares about his job and his resume in the NHL. Of course he wants to win and make the playoffs, that is not the problem here. So he won't care much about long term asset management.

Does he care that Rudolf Balcers got picked up on waivers? No. Does he care if Logan Brown and/or Erik Brannstrom lose trade value? No. This stuff is on the GM, the long term foresight management.

My theory is that Dorion is not a leader, not a guy that should be a big boss. I think he's doing everything he can to please his coach (and owner, but that's another subject) and will often prioritize that over his own job.

Bryan Murray would enter a room and would be respected right away. It doesn't mean he wasn't a good man. Dorion enter a room and everybody take him as his "friend". I mean, nothing wrong with that but that guy probably should be a scouting director or at best an AGM. His strenght is clearly projecting young players and that's what he should do, full time.

But too late, that ship has sinked, Dorion is GM or out now, can't put him back to another job. Melnyk wants cheap coaching staff and management and that's what you get

Well a very crowded center position combined with Norris apparently being better is probably big components of the answer.

Stepan and Tierney were never getting pushed out of the top 9 and Brown isn't really an option for the bottom 6 the way DJ seems to like it (on another team i could easily see him on a scoring 3rd).

So that really doesnt leave a lot of spots for Brown to compete for with Norris, Anisimov and White also vying for mins.

I think not having 3 scoring lines in today's game is also pretty shortsighted, particularly for a team that doesn't have elite players like Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Yourkeyparka

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I'll take door #2.. If its #1 we would here about that. #2 we witness and are witnessing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’ve gone through a few phases of shock around the roster construction. At this point I’m no longer worried about Brown’s development.

As much as Norris won the job I think there will be some hiccups or injuries that may see Norris slide out and Brown or others slide in.

There are some extra games available too if Belleville can make the playoffs. I’d be surprised if Brown didn’t play 20-17 NHL games this year.
We loaded up on centers so it's not at all surprising that only one of our two center top prospects makes the team to start, nor is it new that Norris was seen as being ahead of Brown, we got that at the end of the season from Mann.

It's a little suprising they wouldn't keep him around to practice with the big club as part of the taxi squad till the AHL starts up, or at least their training camps (when is that? I know OHL starts camp on the 23rd jan and starts the season on 4 Feb, i imagine AHL camp would be similarly scheduled).

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Well, since Bruce is tweeting that Brown might get traded, my guess is he gets traded soon for some magic beans. Garrioch always seems to carry the org's water. No doubt he has heard something.

Also curious if the dust-up with Tkachuk helped/hurt Brown's chances?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, since Bruce is tweeting that Brown might get traded, my guess is he gets traded soon for some magic beans. Garrioch always seems to carry the org's water. No doubt he has heard something.

The subtle character assassinations will soon follow.

Well, maybe he is a lost cause, I'm not on the ice or in the room. Maybe he sucks and everyone hates him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We loaded up on centers so it's not at all surprising that only one of our two center top prospects makes the team to start, nor is it new that Norris was seen as being ahead of Brown, we got that at the end of the season from Mann.

It's a little suprising they wouldn't keep him around to practice with the big club as part of the taxi squad till the AHL starts up, or at least their training camps (when is that? I know OHL starts camp on the 23rd jan and starts the season on 4 Feb, i imagine AHL camp would be similarly scheduled).

I agree with you - but we don’t know how many practices they have scheduled with the start of the season, team building day, and road trip.

My guess is he doesn’t practice a lot of PP in Ottawa either - and he would be with 5th line type players.

Despite the popular rhetoric around here they are not idiots and they do know what they are doing. I assume his time is more valuable with the AHL program over these two weeks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Also curious if the dust-up with Tkachuk helped/hurt Brown's chances?
Probably helped honestly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree with you - but we don’t know how many practices they have scheduled with the start of the season, team building day, and road trip.

My guess is he doesn’t practice a lot of PP in Ottawa either - and he would be with 5th line type players.

Despite the popular rhetoric around here they are not idiots and they do know what they are doing. I assume his time is more valuable with the AHL program over these two weeks.
The question is whether there is an AHL program right now. Can't find a start date for belleville camp, but at the end of the day they will need bodies there too so as long as he isn't sitting on his but it's no big deal.

It's interesting how they talked about guys benefiting from being healthy scratched but getting to practice with the NHL team because they learn the pro practice habits in the past, but maybe that was when the alternative was OHL, i don't recall.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I assume his time is more valuable with the AHL program over these two weeks.
Until camps open, Logan Brown should have been at least on the taxi squad, there really is no reason he isn't, its not like he required waivers.

Do we even know whats going on with the AHL? Have their been any announcements about camps opening? Seems like those details havent even been ironed out yet. I dont even think our AHL coach wasn't even part of the Sens training camp. What do these guys do until camps open? Camp out in a hotel?

Reactions: Matsens15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do we even know whats going on with the AHL? Have their been any announcements about camps opening? Until camps open, Logan Brown should have been at least on the taxi squad.

Don't guys who make the big camp usually join AHL camps late in part because they would have already gone through all the Medical stuff and other early day stuff so don't need to be there right from the get go?

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
It seems odd...almost as if he has quietly requested a trade. No rocking the boat and Pierre promised to move him asap...most likely working on a deal as we speak.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

the division is weaker than last year we can make it IF the young guys show up

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Until camps open, Logan Brown should have been at least on the taxi squad, there really is no reason he isn't, its not like he required waivers.

Do we even know whats going on with the AHL? Have their been any announcements about camps opening? Seems like those details havent even been ironed out yet. I dont even think our AHL coach wasn't even part of the Sens training camp. What do these guys do until camps open? Camp out in a hotel?

No we don’t and if we knew he was doing nothing I wouldn’t defend them.... I assume there skating with someone from the org at the every least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad