Management What do we think about Butch Cassidy?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Butch has this team playing the way the fans want them to play.

...and it results into winning hockey!

Doesn't matter. For some here, it's more enjoyable to lament the loss of the previous coach and his non playoff runs at the end of his tenure here.

Regardless of how you feel about Claude, Cassidy has really done a great job with this team. Especially incorporating some of the young guys into the mix and in key roles. If they're this good now, they should be a scary team to play in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I could care less about the coach of the habs, sick of hearing about him. Thanks for the cup but lets get past this and move on. Glad he is with the habs and continue to fail and keep being predictable with tactics. Cassidy has been great for the team and players, they are better prepared and conditioned. They finally are developing the next core, which was postponed the last 4 years.

Reactions: LSCII

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I could care less about the coach of the habs, sick of hearing about him. Thanks for the cup but lets get past this and move on. Glad he is with the habs and continue to fail and keep being predictable with tactics. Cassidy has been great for the team and players, they are better prepared and conditioned. They finally are developing the next core, which was postponed the last 4 years.

4 years ago, who were they suppose to be developing?

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
I'll keep this on Cassidy and talk about the one set of rules for everyone. He's benched the rooks but he also benched the vets too. Rask sat when he wasn't playing well and Krug sat for the OT. That first decision got Rask's attention and he's been lights out since. That second move, even though it may have cost the Bruins a point against Washington, has helped both the team and Krug. He's only had 2 points in the three games since but he has been +1, +2, and +2. He got the message and good on him for not sulking but listening to the coaches about what he needed to fix.

It benefits the whole team when you have one set of rules. No star treatment. No rookie treatment. You earn your ice time and your starts.

That looks good on the coaching staff and on the Bruins management that has provided the coaches with enough good players that you need to worry about loosing your spot if you don't put in the effort.

Agree with this, and I wonder if the Bruins' success might rub off on other coaches. I visit other teams boards often over the years, and always find it interesting how similar many gripes among fanbases are. I'd say gripe number one across many fanbases is about coaches and their "200-foot veteran binkies, only benching rookies etc." Babcock, Julien, Quenneville, Carlyle, Hitchcock and most of the old-guard coaches have been criticized for this at one time or another.

I always figured it was because they knew more than the fanbases, who don't understand the veteran dynamics of locker rooms and the like....but Cassidy has certainly at least put that notion into question. He appears to be demonstrating that benching and scratching vets is not necessarily toxic - at least so far. Maybe it's because the veteran leadership of the Bruins is so solid (i.e. Chara and Bergeron), or because they have a special group of rookies, or it's too early to tell and the whole thing turns into a pumpkin in the last half of the season...but in this copycat league I've got to wonder how many other coaches and organizations are at least keeping an eye on Butch's techniques.

Reactions: 00BW and Strafer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Do you ever get tired of excusing away the failures of the past coach with strawman arguments? They had plenty of young players that they could have incorporated into the line up. The last coach simply chose to roll out washed up stiffs like Gagne and Paille and long in the tooth vets like Campbell and Kelly instead.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Do you ever get tired of excusing away the failures of the past coach with strawman arguments? They had plenty of young players that they could have incorporated into the line up. The last coach simply chose to roll out washed up stiffs like Gagne and Paille and long in the tooth vets like Campbell and Kelly instead.

Agreed. If it wasn't for Clode, Seth Griffith and Brian Ferlin would be All Stars. Thank god he didn't mess up Pastrnak.

In all seriousness, maybe you can make a case for Koko. I mean he is outscoring Joonas Kemppainen in the KHL by 4 points and is only 11 points behind NHL legend Linus Omark. Maybe if we trade Bergeron, Koko would agree to come back?

Ok, I kid. But, really in seriousness this time, Joe Morrow is playing top 4 minutes now and Julien really messed up his development.

Reactions: PlayMakers

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed. If it wasn't for Clode, Seth Griffith and Brian Ferlin would be All Stars. Thank god he didn't mess up Pastrnak.

In all seriousness, maybe you can make a case for Koko. I mean he is outscoring Joonas Kemppainen in the KHL by 4 points and is only 11 points behind NHL legend Linus Omark. Maybe if we trade Bergeron, Koko would agree to come back?

Ok, I kid. But, really in seriousness this time, Joe Morrow is playing top 4 minutes now and Julien really messed up his development.

You can't point to what the players became after the damage was done. When the youth was full of promise, Claude simply didn't play them or played them only when forced. That's not something anyone can argue because it's true. The impact on how those guys developed can certainly be debated, but the way they were handled cannot.

BTW, you bring up Pasta, but you disregard how he got loaned out twice to his junior national team twice because the coach didn't use him very much. Oh yeah, Colin Miller says hi too. Wheeler btw, got 14 minutes per night with claude. In the Peg, he pulls down 20 and has thrived. Kessel in Boston got 15 minutes per night, everywhere else he pulls in 19 and thrives. Seguin his first year got 12 minutes per. After that he got 17. When he became what he is now, he's pulled down 19-20 minutes per night and has thrived. And this is the same guy that chose retreads like Wade Redden, who hadn't been in the NHL in years, over Torey Krug because Krug was young and offensive minded. He put Spooner in only because Kelly got hurt and while he was there, Spooner grossly outperformed CK in that spot production-wise. As soon as Kelly was healthy though, bye bye Spooner. Besides that, do you realize how hard it is as a young player to play mistake free hockey? And worry that you're going to get sat if you make a small mistake, all while veterans and young guys who played a grinding style got to make far worse mistakes with no retribution?? But again, this is really about the Matt Bartkowski's and of the world, truly...:laugh:

So yeah, I get that people want to point to the guys that never panned out and say what did Claude really f*** up, but let's talk about the young guys on the roster that he actually held back, not allowing this team to be what it could have possibly been. That's the REAL negative impact he had here. His lack of working anyone with an offensive mind into the mix actually hurt the team and shortened the cup window to be a couple of years instead of a decade, which is what it should have been.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'll keep this on Cassidy and talk about the one set of rules for everyone. He's benched the rooks but he also benched the vets too. Rask sat when he wasn't playing well and Krug sat for the OT. That first decision got Rask's attention and he's been lights out since. That second move, even though it may have cost the Bruins a point against Washington, has helped both the team and Krug. He's only had 2 points in the three games since but he has been +1, +2, and +2. He got the message and good on him for not sulking but listening to the coaches about what he needed to fix.

It benefits the whole team when you have one set of rules. No star treatment. No rookie treatment. You earn your ice time and your starts.

That looks good on the coaching staff and on the Bruins management that has provided the coaches with enough good players that you need to worry about losing your spot if you don't put in the effort.
Definitely
has gotten EVERYONE's attention for sure. I'm amazed at the way the whole team blends and clicks. Their passing is outrageous, and the camaraderie that they exhibit is awesome. I'm usually one that looks forward to trades when it comes to improving the team but at this point I'm afraid it would create some kind of problem with chemistry. But, if they are going to make a move, you make it now when there's time for new personnel to gel with the team prior to the playoffs.
Back to Bruce though, he's done a fabulous job of keeping everyone on the same page and it looks like everyone has bought into his system. Kudo's to him and his staff, he's large and in charge!

YES, we all need to mentally move past .....the past! Let sleeping dogs (Les Habs) lay!;)

Tyler Seguin for one, after him Reilly Smith. I'm sure there were others but he constantly played guys that really needed a rest or some time upstairs to recapture their "game." Blake Wheeler also blossomed when he got to "Atlanwinipeg" but I guess the shock of being traded from a Stanley Cup team was probably the biggest catalyst in his rise to what he is now.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tyler Seguin for one, after him Reilly Smith. I'm sure there were others but he constantly played guys that really needed a rest or some time upstairs to recapture their "game." Blake Wheeler also blossomed when he got to "Atlanwinipeg" but I guess the shock of being traded from a Stanley Cup team was probably the biggest catalyst in his rise to what he is now.

Tyler Seguin did a (really) bad thing off-ice. Hence he was traded at age 21. Was developing quite nicely I'd say.

Reilly Smith is in his 6th NHL season and is on his 4th team. Problem child for everyone.

Blake Wheeler blossomed in his 4th NHL season, pretty much like many NHL forwards. In 3 season in Boston he missed 2 games. He was traded for 2 guys that were needed to help the Bruins win a Cup. He's been in 29 playoff games with 2 goals, 5 assists and is a -9.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Going to say it again...don't miss Claude. He was all but gone had they lost to the leafs game 7. Like others have said Hamilton, Spooner, Seguin, Smith, Wheeler, Koko, C Miller, Morrow, Connolly, Pasta, Kampfer...Not good with the skilled players.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
But was that because Julien insisted they play a specific way to fit into his system rather than the putting the players in a position to use their strengths? That's the question. After years of seeing them miss on picks, and then watching them seemingly hit on young player after young player now, I have to believe that Claude has some culpability in how the young players were not developed during his time here. From forcing everyone to play a complete 200 foot game, to constantly picking marginal NHL veterans (read as 4th line garbage), and AHL fringe players (read as bottom 6 grinders with zero offensive upside) over skilled guys, there seems to be at least a debate to be had.

Which ones should’ve developed though? I can’t think of a guy in the minors at the time that was just screaming for a call up. Koko? Guy is out of the league now.

I’ll agree that a lot of guys are used as grinders. But that’s what they were/are.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It was both a combination of Claude's coaching style and where we were at as an organization in terms of prospects and development

When Julien was here, his best options were guys like Spooner, Griffith, Fraser, koko... Cassidy has guys like Bjork, DeBrusk, Heinen, Charlie...

BUT! This is where his coaching comes in. I think if Claude was still the coach, macavoy never would have played in the playoffs against Ottawa. I think Bjork would have started the season in providence, Grzylcek (sp) would be in providence, DeBrusk would be a routine scratch, and Heinen would be playing on the 4th line. I think his coaching style is outdated and plodding and you wouldn't see the same kind of production from our young guys either. Guys like Miller wouldn't be faster and jumping into the play.

Interestingly enough I think Claude is better at coaching stay at home D with talent, and I think it's why Carlo looked better last year and seems to be struggling a bit this year...it's hard to be his age, play good d, and play good d in a fast quick up system that Cassidy uses.

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We've had points in 11 in a row, so he's doing a lot right. But the two most recent OT/SO losses in that time I would say are his fault. Why would you hang Rask out to dry like that?

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal

4 years ago? Seriously. Come on.

Please, enlighten me. Who did the bruins have 4 years ago that were ready and good enough to play at this level.

The guys you see now (Debrusk, McAvoy, Bjork, Heinen, Grzelcyk) would have made this team whether or not Claude was the coach right now. Not a knock on Cassidy, but it was inevitable.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
But but but but no one is better then claude, there is none, no one...no one. Guys get over it he is gone and went right away to the habs of all places because he wanted to stick it to us, hope he fails. Enough about him and his fanboys and the endless excuse machine - he sucked with us the last few years. Take down the posters, turn the page. We are in better hands.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
We've had points in 11 in a row, so he's doing a lot right. But the two most recent OT/SO losses in that time I would say are his fault. Why would you hang Rask out to dry like that?

I think "hanging Rask out to dry" is debatable, but you can definitely make the argument that he struggled and that a goalie change worked for the Penguins.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I'm counting two losses right now that are on Cassidy. Keeping Rask in the game for six goals total against the Penguins and for putting Riley Nash in the shootout with Marchand on the bench.

Also, if you look at Vegas this year, they are rolling four lines that can actually play the game. Boston only uses three lines. I know that Riley Nash is having a hot streak, but that line is awful. Cassidy needs to look at other teams and explicitly Vegas, and start icing a fourth line that can play. I have said on this board countless times that we don't need a line full of fill-ins.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Tyler Seguin

Because you mentioned Tyler, which everyone knows was one of my favorite players here and one of our best players given away for free basically by Clode and company, I'm going to chime in.

Look at what we got for Tyler. A significantly older, slower Loui. Clode was undeniably known for playing older veterans over developing young players. It fits the narrative of what was valued to the point that they couldn't even construct the right trade for Tyler. There's plenty of blame to go around, including the GM and team president of course.

We also saw what happened with Gregory Campbell on the last game of the season with eight minutes left. I've never gotten over it, and I was happy Clode went to Montreal because I knew that he can't coach in today's NHL. He's going to stunt the development of their franchise like he stunted ours. He doesn't know what to do with a guy like Drouin.

Compare that to Cassidy who has spent years coaching younger players. He doesn't have the same issues that Clode had. They do have one thing in common, though, and that is some weird kind of loyalty over common sense. I'm hoping he snaps out of it come April, because I don't want to see Riley Nash playing 16 minutes a night. And I certainly don't want to see him playing late in the third.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because you mentioned Tyler, which everyone knows was one of my favorite players here and one of our best players given away for free basically by Clode and company, I'm going to chime in.

Look at what we got for Tyler. A significantly older, slower Loui. Clode was undeniably known for playing older veterans over developing young players. It fits the narrative of what was valued to the point that they couldn't even construct the right trade for Tyler. There's plenty of blame to go around, including the GM and team president of course.

We also saw what happened with Gregory Campbell on the last game of the season with eight minutes left. I've never gotten over it, and I was happy Clode went to Montreal because I knew that he can't coach in today's NHL. He's going to stunt the development of their franchise like he stunted ours. He doesn't know what to do with a guy like Drouin.

Compare that to Cassidy who has spent years coaching younger players. He doesn't have the same issues that Clode had. They do have one thing in common, though, and that is some weird kind of loyalty over common sense. I'm hoping he snaps out of it come April, because I don't want to see Riley Nash playing 16 minutes a night. And I certainly don't want to see him playing late in the third.

I'm pretty sure the GM makes trades, not the coach.

As for coaching younger players, Julien won the Memorial Cup with Hull in 1997, the only time they won the Canadian juniors championship. He also coached the Canadian Junior team in 2000. Cassidy had one rather unsuccessful season in Juniors.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm counting two losses right now that are on Cassidy. Keeping Rask in the game for six goals total against the Penguins and for putting Riley Nash in the shootout with Marchand on the bench.

Also, if you look at Vegas this year, they are rolling four lines that can actually play the game. Boston only uses three lines. I know that Riley Nash is having a hot streak, but that line is awful. Cassidy needs to look at other teams and explicitly Vegas, and start icing a fourth line that can play. I have said on this board countless times that we don't need a line full of fill-ins.

What? So Kuraly, Schaller and Acciari are just figments of my imagination then?

Nash, Backes and Heinen are awful?

Yikes.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This thread seems to be a Cassidy comparement to Julien so here is my 2 cents .lol..Guess next week when them 2 teams play head to head 3 times we will all get a better look at who gets his key guys on ice at right times.Far as Cassidy goes he has been wonderful and Claude did some great things to.Remember Bruins before they hired Claude?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad