Management What do we think about Butch Cassidy?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Now that he’s had more than half a season combined, what does everyone think? We saw issues with challenges last week, but overall I think Butch has done a very good job so far. He managed the team well when besieged with injuries early on and now that the team is healthy for the most part, seems to have a good handle on managing lines and ice time.

I was very impressed with how he managed ice time in the last two games.

He’s made some tough decisions and does a great job dealing with the media and handling the players. I love the style of play where they use speed, move the puck out quickly and look to create offense at every opportunity. They’re sound defensively and getting terrific goaltending.

And to top it off, he and his staff have done a great job infusing the young players into the lineup.

What does everyone think? Is he and the staff getting enough credit for the Bruins success?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What’s his overall record since taking over the team?

I think he’s been very good. I also appreciate how he holds players accountable without throwing them under the bus too hard. Julien was constantly bashing non-vet players

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
My vote is A+ . Last I checked, he was on a 109 points pace, combining last year with this one. That pace is probably 110 or so, now.
I have no critique that I can think of, you described what he achieved very well, and last but not least, Cassidy’s Bruins are way more entertaining to watch than Julien’s. Color me very happy!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What’s his overall record since taking over the team?

I think he’s been very good. I also appreciate how he holds players accountable without throwing them under the bus too hard. Julien was constantly bashing non-vet players

I`ll disagree to a point if I may?

While I think Claude far too often stuck to his insistence on continually rolling out a player regardless if it had become obvious he needed to be sat or scratched for someone else, I didn`t find CJ any harder on his younger players than Butch is yet when Butch speaks to why a decision was/has been made (go back and read about Debrusk/Bjork or Krug recently) he gets applauded for his candor.

Butch called out Krug and pointed to him needing to be stronger in a few areas which he wasn`t incorrect about, Krug was awful in Washington. I would argue had Claude said the same things about Krug, fans here would be taking the a different view of things, that CJ was treating a player unfairly. I see Butch with some regularity scratching the Bjork/DeBrusk`s on the B`s, Vatrano hasn`t seen action since when? If CJ pushed the kids upstairs would fans have reacted differently here? My guess is yes.

I think what or why most accept Cassidy`s opinions being aired without question is this team is winning and even when losing the boys are fun to watch but I don`t see Butch being any less tough on the kids or having less expectations on the kids than CJ did, what I see though is Butch getting more leeway here from fans and IMO it`s about winning, CJ wasn`t doing it consistently enough or at the right times in his last few years, Butch`s team has but I see 2 coaches who are both or have been both very tough on the kids, insisting the team play a certain way.

Bruce Cassidy not shying away from challenging Torey Krug

Cassidy on Spooner: Claude didn't like his defense; I didn't like his offense

DeBrusk ready to 'calm down and play hockey' after healthy scratch

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I certainly like him. I don't know what letter grade I'd give exactly, because I don't get to watch the games the way you guys do, but given the way the kids respond to his coaching, he certainly seems to have his thumb on the pulse of this team!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like everyone of us he has his strengths and weaknesses.

Unlike everyone of us he had the experience, wisdom that often comes with age, and good fortune.

The Cassidy mixing bowl is filled with a lot of interesting ingredients some just a dash others much more.

Cassidy learned along the way and as 2014 President Trophy was clinched in April by Boston his vision of coaching the Bruins seemed lost.

Less than 2 years later he finds himself the coach on one of the darker days in Bruins history the day of the Super Bowl parade - actually during.

The train wreck though was more off the ice and it masked a solid group of veterans who had grown weary of their coach and a bundle of young players he knew better than most of their parents did.

If it was ever going to work he was in a good situation.

He knew every player on the current roster due to his AHL coaching and any newbies from his current assistant job for Claude.

His staff were already his friends and in place and he was quick to point out it's a coaching team and it is. This was going to be a group effort.

Whatever weakness Cassidy has it's probably a strength of Sacco, Pandolfo, Dean etc

Promoting Dean was brilliant even if logical - he was there from 0 to 60 with DeBrusk, Heinen, Grzelcyk etc

He would make their transition easier and more familiar environment

He's also 50.

That is a joke age with me and my friends - the age when a lot of shit that mattered even at 40 isn't a concern anymore.

A few years ago before Cassidy was named assistant coach of Boston I asked a friend of mine who's kid played in the NHL but also AHL against Cassidy what he thought of him. Now.

He told me that Cassidy had considerably mellowed - maybe he thinks he'll never get the job - maybe he's just older and more mellow but the light went on.

This is no 20/20 hindsight- I'm in with a few of my buds like Lou & Joe where we text everyday about everything :laugh: pretty hilarious some times

They will back up all this Cassidy view

He's in a great spot
He is a smart guy
He has been a coach 20 years ago and not unlike Danton Heinen he understands what he needed to do next time he got a chance
He has support from above and a great great collection of assistants who are unplugged and have won before
He is self effacing and humble from the looks of his actions
He is set up for a likely long and successful run here and I believe he is the coach the next Cup in Boston

His hockey career the last 35 years from the moment he was drafted by Chicago as a first rounder to today was like the New England climate

Sunny days appear ahead and he's going to enjoy them and appreciate them because at his age and point in life he's not taking anything for granted

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

While I think Claude far too often stuck to his insistence on continually rolling out a player regardless if it had become obvious he needed to be sat or scratched for someone else, I didn`t find CJ any harder on his younger players than Butch is yet when Butch speaks to why a decision was/has been made (go back and read about Debrusk/Bjork or Krug recently) he gets applauded for his candor.

Butch called out Krug and pointed to him needing to be stronger in a few areas which he wasn`t incorrect about, Krug was awful in Washington. I would argue had Claude said the same things about Krug, fans here would be taking the a different view of things, that CJ was treating a player unfairly. I see Butch with some regularity scratching the Bjork/DeBrusk`s on the B`s, Vatrano hasn`t seen action since when? If CJ pushed the kids upstairs would fans have reacted differently here? My guess is yes.

I think what or why most accept Cassidy`s opinions being aired without question is this team is winning and even when losing the boys are fun to watch but I don`t see Butch being any less tough on the kids or having less expectations on the kids than CJ did, what I see though is Butch getting more leeway here from fans and IMO it`s about winning, CJ wasn`t doing it consistently enough or at the right times in his last few years, Butch`s team has but I see 2 coaches who are both or have been both very tough on the kids, insisting the team play a certain way.

But Cassidy also doesn’t shy away from commenting on a veteran when performing poorly (ex. Rask)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But Cassidy also doesn’t shy away from commenting on a veteran when performing poorly (ex. Rask)

nope, and that is definitely something we didn`t see CJ doing but again, I`ll ask, had he, do you feel his words would be as well received here as Butch`s?

Look, I`m not gonna kick a coach who helped groom a team and provided this fan with the first Cup I have seen as a Bruins fan (I was 4 when they won in the 70`s), CJ helped bring a team that was an absolute joke prior to his arrival and turned them into a team one could consider legit cup contenders for more than a few years.

He wasn`t perfect but he has a ring, got to another final, coached a team that made the playoffs more than they missed. Not the most entertaining brand of hockey but at their core, I don`t think Butch and CJ are nearly as different as many think when it comes to handling players, I see a fan base however that welcomes the fresh voice of Cassidy when CJ said many of the same things about the kids and got clobbered for them.

Most wins by a Bruins coach with CJ, and I`m an unapologetic fan of his, also really like Cassidy`s approach to the game, far more entertaining but I think both are very tough on the kids

just one fans opinion

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I would agree that Cassidy has been much more abrupt with his criticism and demotions. But the difference is it has been fair, across vets and rooks. Game to game he is not afraid of sitting or cutting ice time of a player performing poorly, vet or rookie, skilled or grinder, first rounder or undrafted. That is a big distinction. Claude had a stubborn respect thing for the veterans, deserved or not. When the team sucked, only calling out Spooner, harshly. And when a vet sucked, ice time remained the same.

Cassidy at many times has gone 3 lines (some by in game injury necessity, sure) when he felt needed to.

Last season, guys were saying they were having fun again. And now, it seems all the players have bought in and love each other. Such a good chemistry brewing. And I think that comes from accountability across the board. I feel like there was a locker room divide at the end under CJ. Vets vs noobs, and that comes with preferencial treatment, suspicion and resentment.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Optimistic so far. Seems to be really good fit for this squad. Now, things can change very fast in this business. But both the result and the play style has met or exceeded any expectations I've had.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
nope, and that is definitely something we didn`t see CJ doing but again, I`ll ask, had he, do you feel his words would be as well received here as Butch`s?

Look, I`m not gonna kick a coach who helped groom a team and provided this fan with the first Cup I have seen as a Bruins fan (I was 4 when they won in the 70`s), CJ helped bring a team that was an absolute joke prior to his arrival and turned them into a team one could consider legit cup contenders for more than a few years.

He wasn`t perfect but he has a ring, got to another final, coached a team that made the playoffs more than they missed. Not the most entertaining brand of hockey but at their core, I don`t think Butch and CJ are nearly as different as many think when it comes to handling players, I see a fan base however that welcomes the fresh voice of Cassidy when CJ said many of the same things about the kids and got clobbered for them.

Most wins by a Bruins coach with CJ, and I`m an unapologetic fan of his, also really like Cassidy`s approach to the game, far more entertaining but I think both are very tough on the kids

just one fans opinion

I tend to agree.

I'm sure Cassidy thought long and hard about what to take from Julien and what to improve on. After all, he had a front row seat.

Reactions: DKH

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

just one fans opinion

Andrew, I think you may be missing the point a bit? The only reason Clode got clobbered when he criticized a young player was because he appeared (over his entire tenure) to hold them to a different standard than he did his veterans. I’m not sure winning and losing has much to do with it, but consistency does. I can’t speak for everyone here, but I would have had no issue with Clode being critical of kids like Sobotka or Spooner, if he had done the same with guys like Yelle, Ryder, etc when they were playing poorly.

Reactions: Blowfish

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If it weren't for Gerard Gallant he'd be the front runner for the Jack Adams award. Hes do a lot of the credit around here,As far as giving the kids chances and instilling confidence in them.

I love the way he coaches and how he has the defense involved in the offense. He's brought and exciting, fun and successful way to play the game to the Bruins. I'm hoping he sticks around for a while and helps brings multiple cups to the Bruins and goes down as the greatest Bruins coach of all-Time.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Some here were anti Cassidy when he coached in the AHL so I was skeptical. Not sure where that was coming from because I love what he's done with this team / managed player ice time. Finally an exciting team to watch versus the last 5 years of Clode boring systems and player management.

When you see players like Spooner smiling and gaining confidence you know something has changed. Very welcoming. I'm sure some of the Clode vets knew the treatment wasn't consistent and that also has a negative impact on the team.

A+ my only criticism is he does appear to be hyper active lol perhaps too much adrenaline and or too much candy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyorr04

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Cassidy done a great job. He took over last yr and took the Bruins into the playoffs for the first time in 2yrs and hes carrying it right on over to this yr. If you ask me its about time he's given a little love on these boards. Nice Thread chief Nine!:thumbu:

Thanks @ORR2Sanderson2ORR! I was thinking about this earlier and I said, hmmm there aren’t any threads that I could think of that talked about Cassidy, pro or con. Thought New Year’s Day would be a good time to start a discussion. Love to see where the discussion has gone so far.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think he's been excellent, and deserving of Jack Adams consideration. He won't win it, but he should be in the conversation.

It's funny though, he's also a guy I find myself constantly disagreeing with. For example, when Krejci came back, he immediately put DeBrusk with DK instead of keeping the JDB-Spooner-Bjork line intact. DeBrusk had 5 points in 6 games playing with Spooner and Bjork, and no points in the win Saturday. He insists on playing DeBrusk with Krejci. He insists on NOT playing Heinen with Krejci. He sits out Bjork rather than a 4th liner, even though Bjork was starting to get back to the player he was at the start of the year... He had that great steal and assist against Ottawa.

At the start of the year, I thought he made a mistake not giving Vatrano or Czarnik any time with top6 players. I still think those two can play in the middle6 but the Bruins don't seem interested in finding out.

Choices like those confuse me and seem out of character when much of the rest of his decisions are based on performance. So as someone who likes to understand how things work, how people think, those things stick in my brain and probably get more attention than they're worth.

At the end of the day, the guys pushes a lot more right buttons than wrong ones. He's done a great job integrating young players, and he has this team playing a successful, up-tempo style. I think Cassidy, Sweeney and the players all deserve credit for that. You can't play this fast without the right personnel and Sweeney has delivered it. You can't work this hard without high motor types and I think the youth brings a lot of that energy. You can't be consistent without good leadership from the veteran players. And at the center of it all, you need a coach with the right philosophies, earning the players' respect, pushing the pace at practice, willing to make high risk plays... He really has been great.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Cassidy has absolutely done a great job thus far. The players seems to genuinely enjoy playing for him, and his system gets every position heavily involved in all three zones. Perhaps the biggest thing I have liked about Cassidy is that everyone is held accountable. Perform and try your hardest or ride the pine. I also think that Sweeney deserves a lot of credit in that he appears to be supporting Cassidy's decisions on personnel management. The parity in the NHL is such that you cannot have passengers and/or dead weight if you expect to win a Cup. It's obvious that Cassidy understands this. He has given various vets a fair shot, and when they haven't performed they've found themselves not playing. It hasn't hurt that the Bs organization is at the point where they have youngsters ready to step up and play when other players fail to get the job done. Kind of a perfect storm forming it seems. I know he hasn't even coached a full season here yet, and a lot can change when it comes to coaching in the NHL, but at this point Cassidy has performed superbly and has a team that is competitive and a lot of fun to watch.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I like what I see so far. He has brought a new philosophy which is working. Like how he has been patient with the youngsters, something that will pay dividends in the future.

Have nothing to complain about except for his mistakes in the Washington game. Time will tell but he seems to be pushing all the right buttons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad