Management What do we think about Butch Cassidy?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
When Cassidy was hired, I had no idea if he'd be the right coach for the team, but I KNEW Julien was done (And historically in season coaching changes creates a small positive bump for the team). It happens with coaches and players all over sports. They are good, and then they slide into mediocracy and irrelevance. It happens more so with coaches that are more rigid in their philosophies.

I think Julien "doesn't play the kids" is a misnomer and a bit of a red herring. It seemed that way at times at the end because what a coach of rigid systems needs the most is for everybody to buy in. They work best with a clean house, maybe bring in some of their guys, and when they work, they can work phenomenally. However, when new guys come in, if they don't buy in (whether rookies or trades or FA) then things start to fall apart. Julien would rather go with a lesser talent that plays his way any day of the week.

What I saw was a team divided. The Vets who had been there believed in the system and knew it worked, so it must be the new guys fault. The new guys felt the pressure to measure up, and made things worse. The double standard with mistakes made it worse.

All the talk from Sweeney about making the team faster, went out the window about two weeks into that first season after Chia was let go when they struggled.

Cassidy is not free wheeling. This isn't Lindy Ruff, but he allows players to play to their strengths. Vets and new guys are held accountable. He has an up tempo transition game that favors younger players, so it's up to Vets to keep pace, but he still loves a disposable/rumbling 4th line. He uses what he has, injuries or talent related, and makes the most of it, changing lines and heavily favoring minutes of who's playing well. His system is about scoring from high percentage areas, not grinding the other team down with high quantity shots. It's refreshing, it's honest and it's fun (for us and seemingly the players).

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This thread seems to be a Cassidy comparement to Julien so here is my 2 cents .lol..Guess next week when them 2 teams play head to head 3 times we will all get a better look at who gets his key guys on ice at right times.Far as Cassidy goes he has been wonderful and Claude did some great things to.Remember Bruins before they hired Claude?

That’s what it seems to have devolved into unfortunately. That wasn’t my intention, I wanted to see what everyone thinks of the current coach. Should’ve known...:)

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
I'm counting two losses right now that are on Cassidy. Keeping Rask in the game for six goals total against the Penguins and for putting Riley Nash in the shootout with Marchand on the bench.

Also, if you look at Vegas this year, they are rolling four lines that can actually play the game. Boston only uses three lines. I know that Riley Nash is having a hot streak, but that line is awful. Cassidy needs to look at other teams and explicitly Vegas, and start icing a fourth line that can play. I have said on this board countless times that we don't need a line full of fill-ins.
Lol future GM

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm counting two losses right now that are on Cassidy. Keeping Rask in the game for six goals total against the Penguins and for putting Riley Nash in the shootout with Marchand on the bench.

Also, if you look at Vegas this year, they are rolling four lines that can actually play the game. Boston only uses three lines. I know that Riley Nash is having a hot streak, but that line is awful. Cassidy needs to look at other teams and explicitly Vegas, and start icing a fourth line that can play. I have said on this board countless times that we don't need a line full of fill-ins.

Thank you for the good chuckle. Every day that passes that you aren’t an NHL GM warms my heart.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Lol future GM
Thank you for the good chuckle. Every day that passes that you aren’t an NHL GM warms my heart.

Hold on there guys, let's not undersell our esteemed colleague here. Perhaps he speaks French which would mean he would be a terrific candidate for a certain franchise that may be seeking a "future GM" very soon and have French language fluency as a job requirement? Sounds like that would be a perfect fit!

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hold on there guys, let's not undersell our esteemed colleague here. Perhaps he speaks French which would mean he would be a terrific candidate for a certain franchise that may be seeking a "future GM" very soon and have French language fluency as a job requirement? Sounds like that would be a perfect fit!

Maybe! That'd be a great spot for him. He could build a super-powerhouse for the fans of Montreal! He could then come back here and really rub it in.

I always let him know teams are hiring on NHL 18, but he never comments back :/

Reactions: Chief Nine

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Wasn't a fan of the way Julien was let go but you could tell his time was kind of cooked here. As for Butch I was definitely tentative when the announcement was made but I have been very pleasantly surprised. If I have one criticism is that he seems to struggle with video review. That may have more to do with his coaching team than himself, I dunno. But he seems to goof those up more often than not.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'll admit, I groaned and hated the move when it happened. Reeked of more OBC from Don and Cam. Thought the run to end the year was just a dead cat bounce.

but with how they've looked this year, can admit my 1st read was wrong. Dont agree with everything he does, but Cassidy is a good coach.

Time will tell if he can win in the playoffs as well, or if he is another Bruce Boudreau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad