Management What do we think about Butch Cassidy?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He’s doing a good job.

He’ll always be compared to the man who preceded him and that’s a tough act to follow. At the same time, Clode was never universally loved so the shadow cast isn’t quite so large.

Here’s the thing.

In my time watching the Bruins from the early 90s to present, there has been a lot of regular season success. However, Clode is the only coach in my time as a fan who has had real post season success (Conference Finals or better).

We don’t celebrate division titles here. Cassidy’s tenure will be evaluated on whether or not his teams win when it counts.

In the meantime, they’re ahead of schedule and he’s part of that.

And, in the meantime, I quite agree. He appears to be the proper coach for this group, at this time. We'll see what happens come the playoffs, assuming the B's participate.

It's also worth noting that Claude didn't have some of the talent Cassidy benefits from, because it simply wasn't there. I like the fact that he knows many of these players from PRO, and is invested in developing them into NHL calibre players.

Enjoy the ride.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I was happy that Claude was gone. I appreciate the cup he won but the game got fast and he still coaches the big, slow, box out the front style. 2 things that bothered me most was not giving Seguin a legitimate shot at center, and not using the rookie D against Chicago in the finals. Those dmen were awesome against Pitt, holding them to something like 3 goals in 4 games. He chose a hobbled Seidenberg and Ferrence in the finals instead of Bartkowski and Hamilton. Krug only got to play because he kept scoring goals at a ridiculous rate but his ice time was greatly diminished in those finals. They were fast and got the puck out but he wanted 'reliable' tough guys to box out instead and it was very clear they were still injured. We will never know what could have been.

I'll admit, I didn't want Cassidy either. I looked at his record in Providence and I don't think he ever got out of the 1st round of the playoffs except during the lockout year. But he's done an amazing job with the Boston Bruins since he took over. And now that I look back at his time in Providence I realize the biggest impediment to his P Bruins making a playoff run was probably the lack of good draft picks. They went deep last year with Heinen leading the way. That's a reminder to myself that I need to look at all the data and not just the record.

Also, I really like that the Bruins no longer look sluggish to start games. The first half of last year, it was like they only started to play the game in the 2nd period after spotting the other team a goal or two.

Reactions: chizzler

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
And, in the meantime, I quite agree. He appears to be the proper coach for this group, at this time. We'll see what happens come the playoffs, assuming the B's participate.

It's also worth noting that Claude didn't have some of the talent Cassidy benefits from, because it simply wasn't there. I like the fact that he knows many of these players from PRO, and is invested in developing them into NHL calibre players.

Enjoy the ride.

Early in his tenure with the B’s, Julien didn’t have a lot of talent, but that was not the case later on. Kessel, Seguin, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand.

Not talented? What am I missing here?

Hilarious how the dialogue has gone from Sweeney not giving the coaches enough talent recently to Cassidy having talent that Clode didn’t have.

:laugh:

Let’s just say I’m going to disagree with this premise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cassidy is so subtle in his comments praising the skill of Barzal but taking a veiled shot how to defend him- push/force him wide to the outside when he carries the puck and confront him when he is looking to create

Had to laugh at his method to contain Me Pearly Whites

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Cassidy is so subtle in his comments praising the skill of Barzal but taking a veiled shot how to defend him- push/force him wide to the outside when he carries the puck and confront him when he is looking to create

They executed that gameplan against him to a T

Reactions: DKH

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

He looks like Samsonov. Fast and flash, but keep him to the perimeter and off the PP and he's not a threat.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Early in his tenure with the B’s, Julien didn’t have a lot of talent, but that was not the case later on. Kessel, Seguin, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand.

Not talented? What am I missing here?

Hilarious how the dialogue has gone from Sweeney not giving the coaches enough talent recently to Cassidy having talent that Clode didn’t have.

:laugh:

Let’s just say I’m going to disagree with this premise.

I meant near the end of CJ's tenure. After many poor drafts, the cupboard was bare.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Enjoy the ride.
It's going to be a very long one plan accordingly

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
To an extent, it was his fault. He could've developed some youths.
To be fair to Julien, his call up options weren’t very thrilling. Trotman? Hamil? Bartkowski? Hell even Spooner took until December 2017 to start looking interested in playing hockey for a living.

I never got the Julien hates kids thing. Luciv Krecji, Seguin, Hamilton, Rask etc. All were put in positions to develop under him. If guys chose not to do what he asked that’s on them.

As for Cassidy I like his style overall. Only thing I could wish for is a Joel Q ball grab every now and then. Boston’s lifelong exile at the bottom of the power play chances per game needs to end. Find his inner Pat Quinn, might work!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruce Cassidy simply trying to build on Bruins’ success - The Boston Globe

Coach Bruce Cassidy said success has not made a significant change to his approach. At Friday’s practice at Warrior Arena, he stuck with the same line combinations deployed in Boston’s 5-1 victory over the Islanders Tuesday.
“We do a lot of the same things,’’ Cassidy said. “We think it through ahead of time, what’s needed. Right now things are going well. I don’t know if you don’t see your weaknesses or maybe you’re sort of like, well, we’re getting away with them. So there’s some in there obviously; we’re not perfect. But you try to allow the players to feel good about coming to the rink.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To be fair to Julien, his call up options weren’t very thrilling. Trotman? Hamil? Bartkowski? Hell even Spooner took until December 2017 to start looking interested in playing hockey for a living.

I never got the Julien hates kids thing. Luciv Krecji, Seguin, Hamilton, Rask etc. All were put in positions to develop under him. If guys chose not to do what he asked that’s on them.

As for Cassidy I like his style overall. Only thing I could wish for is a Joel Q ball grab every now and then. Boston’s lifelong exile at the bottom of the power play chances per game needs to end. Find his inner Pat Quinn, might work!

But was that because Julien insisted they play a specific way to fit into his system rather than the putting the players in a position to use their strengths? That's the question. After years of seeing them miss on picks, and then watching them seemingly hit on young player after young player now, I have to believe that Claude has some culpability in how the young players were not developed during his time here. From forcing everyone to play a complete 200 foot game, to constantly picking marginal NHL veterans (read as 4th line garbage), and AHL fringe players (read as bottom 6 grinders with zero offensive upside) over skilled guys, there seems to be at least a debate to be had.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
But was that because Julien insisted they play a specific way to fit into his system rather than the putting the players in a position to use their strengths? That's the question. After years of seeing them miss on picks, and then watching them seemingly hit on young player after young player now, I have to believe that Claude has some culpability in how the young players were not developed during his time here. From forcing everyone to play a complete 200 foot game, to constantly picking marginal NHL veterans (read as 4th line garbage), and AHL fringe players (read as bottom 6 grinders with zero offensive upside) over skilled guys, there seems to be at least a debate to be had.

So, if Cassidy were the head coach Hamill, Caron, Bartkowski, etc. would be solid NHL players now?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So, if Cassidy were the head coach Hamill, Caron, Bartkowski, etc. would be solid NHL players now?

Beats me, but there's certainly an argument to be made about how he handled inserting youth into the line up, despite you cherry picking some of their bigger misses. Development is crucial and how they're brought along impacts the path their careers will follow, and Claude was very heavy handed with anyone that skewed to the offensive side of the game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Beats me, but there's certainly an argument to be made about how he handled inserting youth into the line up, despite you cherry picking some of their bigger misses. Development is crucial and how they're brought along impacts the path their careers will follow, and Claude was very heavy handed with anyone that skewed to the offensive side of the game.

How about a few examples of players you think were hurt by Julien in their development.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How about a few examples of players you think were hurt by Julien in their development.

Marchand was held back longer than need be, IMO. Krug as well. Wheeler. Seguin. Kessel being sat in the playoffs so Jeremy Reich could get in there. Spooner. Chiller. Hamilton. I mean, do you really want me to continue? There are literally tons of examples I could throw at you for how he handled them/misused them, flat out didn't play them when they were performing better than the alternatives.

Do you notice the theme in all of the players above? Tell me if you can't crack the code...:laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Marchand was held back longer than need be, IMO. Krug as well. Wheeler. Seguin. Kessel being sat in the playoffs so Jeremy Reich could get in there. Spooner. Chiller. Hamilton. I mean, do you really want me to continue? There are literally tons of examples I could throw at you for how he handled them/misused them, flat out didn't play them when they were performing better than the alternatives.

Do you notice the theme in all of the players above? Tell me if you can't crack the code...:laugh:

Looks like a group that developed into excellent players.

I thought your point was Julien hurt their development?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Looks like a group that developed into excellent players.

I thought your point was Julien hurt their development?

Ugh. Why did I even bother. We've been through this a hundred times and you refuse to admit the guy had flaws as a coach.

Miller never got a shot here, and acting like Claude developed him is incredibly disingenuous. Wheeler too. Seguin here was not what he ended up being. Kessel as well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ugh. Why did I even bother. We've been through this a hundred times and you refuse to admit the guy had flaws as a coach.

Miller never got a shot here, and acting like Claude developed him is incredibly disingenuous. Wheeler too. Seguin here was not what he ended up being. Kessel as well.

Wheeler, Kessel and Seguin were rookie with no pro experience under Julien. Of course they are better now.

As for "Chiller", I didn't even know who you meant. No credit for his development is fine with me. He only played his first 103 games for Julien.

By the way, you calling me disingenuous is some joke, eh?

And finally (I hope): Claude Julien had flaws as a coach. Unlike the many other flawless coaches.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wheeler, Kessel and Seguin were rookie with no pro experience under Julien. Of course they are better now.

As for "Chiller", I didn't even know who you meant. No credit for his development is fine with me. He only played his first 103 games for Julien.

By the way, you calling me disingenuous is some joke, eh?

And finally (I hope): Claude Julien had flaws as a coach. Unlike the many other flawless coaches.

First off, who called you disingenuous? I certainly did not. I called the point you were trying to make disingenuous. Big difference. I don't argue people, I argue the point.

Kessel, Seguin, Wheeler, Hamilton, Colin Miller, etc were all rookies under Claude, that is true. They were also held accountable to play near perfect two way hockey and sat if they made a minor mistake. Unlike the veterans and younger guys that played a grinding style. In terms of the dynamic I'm talking about here, I offer up a prime example in Reilly Smith. The guy could make the same mistake over and over, yet never sat because he played a style Claude approved of.

But again, why actually debate the points I'm making when you can generalize your responses instead and make it about you? :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hell, what about Pasta? That guy couldn't buy a shift under Claude. He lent him to the Czech jr team not once, but twice, FFS...

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'll keep this on Cassidy and talk about the one set of rules for everyone. He's benched the rooks but he also benched the vets too. Rask sat when he wasn't playing well and Krug sat for the OT. That first decision got Rask's attention and he's been lights out since. That second move, even though it may have cost the Bruins a point against Washington, has helped both the team and Krug. He's only had 2 points in the three games since but he has been +1, +2, and +2. He got the message and good on him for not sulking but listening to the coaches about what he needed to fix.

It benefits the whole team when you have one set of rules. No star treatment. No rookie treatment. You earn your ice time and your starts.

That looks good on the coaching staff and on the Bruins management that has provided the coaches with enough good players that you need to worry about loosing your spot if you don't put in the effort.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I just want to say....I keep forgetting that Butch really isn't his first name. :laugh:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Butch has this team playing the way the fans want them to play.

...and it results into winning hockey!

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad