Player Discussion What do we have in Josh Leivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is my last post because this is going circular and I feel that I'm repeating the points.

It's not a matter simply of him suffering a major injury. It's contingent upon how he is recuperating from that injury.

Canucks don't need another winger of 4th-line/spare calibre, especially one that doesn't kill penalties. So if that's what they think Leivo is likely to be due to the injury, they shouldn't sign him at all-- not even with a pay cut.

On the other hand, if they are optimistic about his recuperation and his future status, then why would they risk losing him by offering him a pay cut, especially something in the 30% or more category? Given the market circumstances I would think there's a good chance that he might accept a one-year deal at the same money as last season. If he comes back as the same player that's a very good bargain. Lowballing in that scenario doesn't make sense as it would probably just chase him out the door. Remember that it's his kneecap; he'll know best how it's progressing and the better it feels the more confident he'll be about his contractual demands and his future as a player.

You've repeated yourself here, but I'm not sure why? The question posed was this:

Is $1.5m/1yr a justified offer for Leivo league wide? This accounts for his injury, the flat cap and his limited body of work.

If it's not justified, then you have your answer as to why he isn't worth 1.5m/1yr here. Regardless of feelings, confidence and perceptions. If it is justified, then we'll see him sign for 1.5/1yr+ elsewhere. Right?

The crux of the issue is determining what he is owed in this market and then balancing that against what the Canucks may offer him. However, we can't assume the latter without first establishing the former.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Assuming he's healthy enough to warrant a contract offer, Leivo's contract would probably come in at around $1M. He knows that if he signs here now, there's an excellent chance his salary may have to be buried when other players are acquired and that this option is an important reason he's being signed. That might dissuade him from signing here, in my opinion.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Assuming he's healthy enough to warrant a contract offer, Leivo's contract would probably come in at around $1M. He knows that if he signs here now, there's an excellent chance his salary may have to be buried when other players are acquired and that this option is an important reason he's being signed. That might dissuade him from signing here, in my opinion.

Pro-rated earnings due to a significantly shortened season, 20% escrow and 10% salary deferral. There are already documented cases of players taking less money and/or 1-year deals to sign somewhere that they think gives them a better chance of enhancing their value in the future when they can better cash in on it.

And of course there are the implicit messages contained within any offer (pay cut = we don't value you as much as before); it's not only the immediate financial impact but also what it says about the future. And, merely psychologically, no one likes the sense of being devalued. If Leivo's kneecap has recovered well and Canucks offer $1M, I think the chances of him re-signing here are slim. He can pick his best opportunity elsewhere for similar or even less money to set up his next contract, and most of the time that is the chosen option when a salary reduction is in play.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
We saw what happened to Roussel after suffering a major injury. Wouldn’t be willing to give Leivo anymore than 1Mx1

Reactions: m9

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We saw what happened to Roussel after suffering a major injury. Wouldn’t be willing to give Leivo anymore than 1Mx1

I wouldn’t either, but then I’ve never known Benning to be conservative. If he gives up the extra 500k, whatever.

@Blue and Green I respect your response, but there’s no way to argue it in a way that will lead anywhere.

Even if Leivo takes less due to a lack of interest outside of the Canucks, the impact of the environment made it so, or Leivo wanted to find the best opportunity etc... It will not be regarded as a show me contract for an injury risk... Which is what he is.

Anyway, hope he’s back.

Nov 1, 2011
Hoping for a $700k deal.

There are a lot of players signing for less right now, Leivo should be one of them.

I would have taken Joe Thornton over Leivo.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Leivo had the best analytical numbers on the team, on a poor possession team he was a welcomed addition. Leivo was an excellent bottom 6 forward that could move up in case of injuries, to lose him to a division rival for 875k is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad