Player Discussion What do we have in Josh Leivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No idea yet. Benning acquiring these players has proven to failed time and time again, so I'm pretty skeptical but willing to give him some time. He's getting placed with some pretty good players to get going here...

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
haha they just noted on the game that he has more goals this season than Goldy?! I didn't even realize that. Well, all I can say is that I'm entertained to see what we've got in this player, and at this point anything that can keep me entertained as a fan is a good thing -- because you gotta have something if you're not enjoying wins.

Reactions: Mork

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We gave up nothing.
Toronto is stacked offensively so you can see how he could get squeezed out. There’s obviously plenty of opportunity in Vancouver if he can score and play well defensively and he’ll get a chance to do that.
That said, one game won’t show that he can help the team. But I was always pretty impressed when I saw him play.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Potential top 6 winger with a helluva shot and great board work as advertised. We acquired him for a free-play lottery ticket. I’ll take it.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
So far so good. But Benning's track record being what it is, I'm a bit reluctant to believe our master talent evaluator has acquired someone useful.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
a very likable player, just a bit inconsistent, looks great one game and then disappears, Babs used to say he needs to learn how to play every night.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So far so good, but let’s give it more than one freaking game.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
In my professional and 100% bang on oponion....

He reminds me of former Canuck Mikael Samuelsson.

Right handed shot that logs around the ice but gets to where he needs to. Positionally sound and has am excellent release. Really good trigger mam that can go up and down the
top 9.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
A top six forward who can shoot the puck, has hockey iq and is unreal along the boards.

Leafs fan here. I would say he's the best player we've given up on waivers or in small trades (Out of the Leipsics, Soshnikov, Pickard, etc).

Really sucks we couldn't keep him He's a Mark Stone lite version. Great middle-6 option.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
We have generic middle six tweener no. 3428 aquired by Benning.

It’s like a script. Get a top 6 tweener that’s an outcast from another team, said outcast scores a goal in his first game then proceeds to be the tweener he really is.

I don’t mind Veilo, but if we expect more from him we’ll be disapointed

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It’s like a script. Get a top 6 tweener that’s an outcast from another team, said outcast scores a goal in his first game then proceeds to be the tweener he really is.

I don’t mind Veilo, but if we expect more from him we’ll be disapointed

Same. Also Leafs doing a fantastic work with the Marlies. What a place to develop your prospects there.

Reactions: daddyohsix and Grub

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not a bad start.

But Granlund all over again. Marginal player about to be lost on waivers by another team scooped up by Benning who gave up a good AHLer to get him. Now he'll get tons of icetime on the top line and PP, eke out a few points, and the coach will be married to him forever after.

Watch.

Same. Also Leafs doing a fantastic work with the Marlies. What a place to develop your prospects there.
We have to find a way to get Juolevi over there to sabotage them from within. Maybe he'll balance out Gagner and Carcone.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
good 2nd line winger if alongside a top end 2c and a topline winger

aka needs to be carried

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Someone that can shoot the puck thats for sure. He's a little slow but Leafs fans say he's positionally sound and seems to be strong on the boards. Considering Boeser is not so fleet of foot either I don't think they both should be put with EP. I'm thinking we run the following top 6 when all healthy.

Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Leivo EP Virtanen

It shelters EP a bit more as teams will send out best defensive units against Horvat line. Freeing up EP to see some more open ice.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Someone that can shoot the puck thats for sure. He's a little slow but Leafs fans say he's positionally sound and seems to be strong on the boards. Considering Boeser is not so fleet of foot either I don't think they both should be put with EP. I'm thinking we run the following top 6 when all healthy.

Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Leivo EP Virtanen

It shelters EP a bit more as teams will send out best defensive units against Horvat line. Freeing up EP to see some more open ice.

Virtanen is an awful fit to insulate a rookie center

this is what pisses me off about Benning and him signing mentors. EP is the vet on that line and the person that has to babysit

if we really wanted to develop our youth we would have a top 6 vet and not the corpse of Loui Eriksson

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Virtanen is an awful fit to insulate a rookie center

this is what pisses me off about Benning and him signing mentors. EP is the vet on that line and the person that has to babysit

if we really wanted to develop our youth we would have a top 6 vet and not the corpse of Loui Eriksson
I agree but what who else is there to put with him? Virtanen at least adds some speed and hopefully creates some space by being physical. We really just don't have anyone else. We could put Boeser with EP sure but then we need to move Leivo off his wing as both wingers would be slow.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
a very likable player, just a bit inconsistent, looks great one game and then disappears, Babs used to say he needs to learn how to play every night.

Hahah, well, at least he plays _some_ nights unlike some of the guys on our roster right now.

Been following him for awhile, I still remember that hot streak with Kadri.

I think he is a top-6 winger (especially on this team) that has a good shot, a motor, and will be hungry for this opportunity. I also think he could play well with Bo (see Kadri). Another intriguing line would be Goldy-EP-Leivo.

I also like that he is big and because of said motor wins board battles. We tend to have a lot of smallish forwards on this team, so he definitely brings a dimension only Jakey brings. He might also be a good example for Jakey since he has already experienced some tough breaks and is instantly the player most similar to him on the roster. I think Jakey looks around and sees too many perimeter guys (which is ok for the skilled ones) and thinks he can get away with that too. He can't.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->