Player Discussion What do we have in Josh Leivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
leivo fits pretty much anywhere in the lineup without excelling in the role of any particular line. he is physical and gets his nose dirty and is dangerous when he gets chances. he can pk or play in ot or even pp.

in short, he's a very useful player and super useful for plugging injury holes even if he has no permanent natural home on any particular line. sort of a granlund with size and grit who holds his ground.

I agree. I really like Leivo's game and feel that that he's part of the group of forwards that Benning has recently brought in that is capable of playing a heavy game while having enough skill to play a skill game. With that said, it seems one issue with Leivo is that he doesn't receive passes very well so he can bobble the puck at times. But when he does have the puck on his stick he has a pretty good shot and can do a bit of playmaking.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo is a loss....but if the Canucks are going to be derailed by the loss of one, middle six winger, then they weren't much to a team to begin with. Kinda surprised that MacEwen got the call as the injury replacement.

But I guess for guys like Goldy, Baertschi or even Boucher, their ship has sailed, at least with this coach.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
Leivo is a loss....but if the Canucks are going to be derailed by the loss of one, middle six winger, then they weren't much to a team to begin with. Kinda surprised that MacEwen got the call as the injury replacement.

But I guess for guys like Goldy, Baertschi or even Boucher, their ship has sailed, at least with this coach.
I think it's more of a waivers consideration. With Sutter coming back soon, we'd have to scratch someone else (Schaller would be my guess), which puts MacEwan right back to Utica.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Leivo was having a good season, was on pace for 44 points playing responsible 2-way hockey, excellent production from a bottom 6 winger. Sucks he’s out for most of the season. Solid player, would bring him back on a 1-2 year deal. Much better player than Schaller & Motte who are also on expiring contracts.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, this player was really finding his game the last couple weeks. Of course he has to get injured now.

He’s one of the few players we have that could consistently win board battles and maintain possession. Horvat used to be good at that, but no longer.

It basically only leaves JT among our forwards who can create consistent possession and pressure int he O zone. Not looking good boys!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Too bad, that sucks for his development as an NHL player. I think he keeps making strides since we traded for him last year. Nothing flashy or spectacular but good for some goals here in there

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Might be a blessing in disguise for the Canucks if they had intentions of re-signing him this off-season. If he were to put up a 40+ point season he may have priced himself out of the Canucks' budget as an UFA. Now, who knows, maybe they can re-sign him to another 1 year deal.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Big loss, only bright side is Leivo probably won't get a big pay day with this injury. Canucks probably can afford to resign him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Big loss, only bright side is Leivo probably won't get a big pay day with this injury. Canucks probably can afford to resign him.
They don't have really any bad contracts, aside from Schaller coming off the books. Replace Schaller with an ELC or low end player and you have around a $900K cap savings.

Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher, Motte are RFA. Tanev, Markstrom, Leivo, and Schaller are UFA.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
leivo fits pretty much anywhere in the lineup without excelling in the role of any particular line. he is physical and gets his nose dirty and is dangerous when he gets chances. he can pk or play in ot or even pp.

in short, he's a very useful player and super useful for plugging injury holes even if he has no permanent natural home on any particular line. sort of a granlund with size and grit who holds his ground.

sucks thats hes injured. he would have been useful in the bottom 6 role. third line hard to play against in the playoffs and would be a welcome addition to an already deep squad.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They don't have really any bad contracts, aside from Schaller coming off the books. Replace Schaller with an ELC or low end player and you have around a $900K cap savings.

Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher, Motte are RFA. Tanev, Markstrom, Leivo, and Schaller are UFA.
Yep.
RFAs
upload_2020-8-26_10-2-36.png

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
When Leivo was injured, they said he'd be out 2 to 3 months. It's been 8 months since his injury and it sounds like there's no chance he'll be returning to the team. Have to wonder what's going on and whether he'll ever play again.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
When Leivo was injured, they said he'd be out 2 to 3 months. It's been 8 months since his injury and it sounds like there's no chance he'll be returning to the team. Have to wonder what's going on and whether he'll ever play again.

Yeah, I'm very curious about his situation too.

I mean, the Canucks were clearly building to compete with heavier teams like Vegas and St. Louis by adding Ferland, Roussell, Pearson, Toffoli etc. etc. but I think Leivo was a great low-cost version of that type of bigger-bodied but skilled utility forward. He was having a very nice year up until his injury, and I truly believe he would be a very useful player for Vancouver in these playoffs if he were healthy.

There was a Reddit post during play-in training camp where Brock and Petey were seen watching TV on an outdoor screen, and sources said it was Leivo's Vancouver apartment patio. Not sure how this is relevant, but at least the boys still consider him part of team....

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
For a bargain I'd definitely bring him back if he's healthy and open to occasionally be healthy scratch. Vancouver has the problem of too many good forwards (as shown in this playoff with Sutter and Beagle playing better, plus Motte having somewhat of an emergence). He's probably in the same category as Mac, Roussel and Jake, top-9 guys who may have to play further down the lineup due to the stacked top-6 (though if Toffoli does go I'd be down if they replaced his role and scoring by committee with the aforementioned guys).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Nobody has answered the question I was trying to ask. What happens to an injured player when his contract expires and he still injured. Is he just SOL.

This is assuming that his situation is such that he cannot play hockey for a year. Does it then just fall between the cracks.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I forgot that it was a dirty play by Vegas, boarding by Holden, that took out Leivo.

Extra reason for the boys to want to take the series, not that they need it.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nobody has answered the question I was trying to ask. What happens to an injured player when his contract expires and he still injured. Is he just SOL.

This is assuming that his situation is such that he cannot play hockey for a year. Does it then just fall between the cracks.

I would think a player in that situation would be covered by some sort of disability insurance. But I'm pretty sure he won't be paid $1.5M next season if he can't play.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Leivo even removed all the photos and followers off his Instagram. Searched him up to see if he posted any update there. Weird use to follow everyone one on the team and now he only follows Boeser and has 17 followers total.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would think a player in that situation would be covered by some sort of disability insurance. But I'm pretty sure he won't be paid $1.5M next season if he can't play.
No contract for him next season means he's out of luck. I can't recall ever hearing about a broken knee cap injury in hockey. Heck, even other sports, I can't recall hearing it.

wish him the best. I mean, without Covid, we'd be like 2 weeks away from training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad