Speculation: What do we do with with Lee and Eberle?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think the development of Bellows is gonna weigh heavily on extending Lee. We are getting very little offemse from Ladd.If Bellows hits the ground running, puts up pts, it makes it easier to lose Lee's production.

I hope to see Eberle extended before the season. I do not want to see months wasted, trying to find who else clicks with Barzal. There will already be a lot of pressure on Barzal.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think the development of Bellows is gonna weigh heavily on extending Lee. We are getting very little offemse from Ladd.If Bellows hits the ground running, puts up pts, it makes it easier to lose Lee's production.
A rookie is going to replace our 40 goal scorer. Must be Summer.

Reactions: bigtim1988

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A rookie is going to replace our 40 goal scorer. Must be Summer.
Where in my post did I say Bellows would score 40 goals?

I said if Bellows hits the ground running, produces right away, it makes it easier to lose Lee's production.

Maybe you missed Connor's 30 goals rookie season, Boeser on pace for about 40 goals or Barzal's rookie production?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Instead of signing 'Corporal Komarov' to that f***ing ludicrous contract, and trading for the ghost of Matt Martin, I would have offered both Lee and Eberle 5 year deals in the neighborhood of 6.5M per.

When Wahlstrom and Bellows made the team in 2019-2020, I would have shifted Bailey to LW.

LW - Lee/Bailey/Bellows/Ladd
RW- Eberle/Wahlstrom/Ho-Sang-Clutterbuck

Hypothetically, you could still try and do this, but you'd have to view Komarov as a center going forward and be able to move Cizikas next summer (unless you want one of them to be your 3C, which is so; barf). Probably not what they're thinking, though...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Eberle is fine, but the idea that Barzal won't find chemistry elsewhere is pretty silly. Wahlstrom is the answer to 1rw as soon as next year imo. He's already got the size and shot.

Lee adds leadership qualities you need for a retool. Jvr set the market. Get it done.

As someone who is a proponent of the Barzal/Eberle tandem, I just think it's important to have Eberle on that line while Barzal is still developing.

I do agree that Wahlstrom is the future on that line, though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eberle is fine, but the idea that Barzal won't find chemistry elsewhere is pretty silly. Wahlstrom is the answer to 1rw as soon as next year imo. He's already got the size and shot.

Lee adds leadership qualities you need for a retool. Jvr set the market. Get it done.

You have to be careful about assuming that before he even plays in the NHL. Remember when Dal Colle was a lock to be Tavares' future 35+ goal LWer immediately after he'd been drafted?

Prospects, even promising ones, shouldn't be counted on until they actually start producing at the NHL level. To build a lineup around the assumption one will produce at a first line rate, no less, as soon as next year is dangerous.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Where in my post did I say Bellows would score 40 goals?

I said if Bellows hits the ground running, produces right away, it makes it easier to lose Lee's production.

Maybe you missed Connor's 30 goals rookie season, Boeser on pace for about 40 goals or Barzal's rookie production?
You did not. But the shiny new toy syndrome applies every time we think a 27 year old at the top of his game is easy to replace.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You did not. But the shiny new toy syndrome applies every time we think a 27 year old at the top of his game is easy to replace.
Isles are not getting s quality, top 4D using Nelson as the key piece and I do not want a repeat of seeing young blueliners asked to play above their heads again.

Reactions: bigtim1988

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles are not getting s quality, top 4D using Nelson as the key piece and I do not want a repeat of seeing young blueliners asked to play above their heads again.
That has been the norm around here throughout Snow's tenure. Lou will fix this, but Lee is second in value to Barzal-so he better get a #1 or #2 for him if he is traded. I would dangle Eberle way before Lee, though.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I would hang on to them. Getting rid of all your "veterans" just because they are veterans is how you end up like Buffalo.

That wouldn't be terrible at all. I would love to have 3 players of the caliber of Eichel, Mittelstadt and Dahlin.

The way I see it, we have 3 seasons until the new Arena opens up. We need to have a competitive team by the time the Arena opens. That gives us 3 years for a quick re-tool and hopefully we'd be challenging for the Cup by then.

In regards Eberle and Lee. If they don't sign a new contract before the season starts, I would trade them and get as many assets back as possible so we aren't left at the altar like JT. Can't risk going into another UFA season with top players. If they get an injury they are unmovable and will go through free agency. Need to maximize our assets.

Lee and Eberle would give us a blue chip prospect(s) to bring through. A quick retool with smart moves would leave us with some serious young players. I don't want us deliberately tanking but trading players rather than letting them walk if they don't re-sign when asked has to happen.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Until one of the kids steps up and proves they can replace either one of Lee/Eberle, both are important to this team going forward. Regardless, I would like to keep both of them.

That said, one thing is certain... we cannot be held hostage again. No matter the decision, if they aren't inked to an extension by the deadline.... they need to be traded to the highest bidder.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
No extensions until you see how they work in Trotz system. If Lee can maintain 30+ goals and Beau-Barzal-Eberle can keep that chemistry, you sign them mid season or near the deadline.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
No extensions until you see how they work in Trotz system. If Lee can maintain 30+ goals and Beau-Barzal-Eberle can keep that chemistry, you sign them mid season or near the deadline.

In my humble opinion, if you wait to see how they do in Trotz system, you could either have a price hike in what either player will want for their next contract or hurt their value.

I believe we should be trying to extend them now. If we can't come to an agreement we trade them. We should put in place a rule about not letting free agents run out their contracts.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I'd prefer to keep beauvillier and Barzal together

Despite what has been said, Lee is more likely to get closer to 50 with Barzal then any one else. You have a possession monster and a pass first center in Barzal. First line match-ups are going to need some jam and strength in corners against teams top defensive pairings. Especially with no clear #2 center in place.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
In my humble opinion, if you wait to see how they do in Trotz system, you could either have a price hike in what either player will want for their next contract or hurt their value.

I believe we should be trying to extend them now. If we can't come to an agreement we trade them. We should put in place a rule about not letting free agents run out their contracts.

The problem moving both Lee and Eberle is you are relying on 18-20 year draft picks who have yet to play a single professional game to be instant impact players? Is that not somewhat risky? LL will either sign them to an extension before the deadline or they will be moved. But I would not expect movement prior.

The great thing about LL moves is there will be competition and complete evaluations taking place to start this season. Those who adapt to the culture change and new systems while also contributing will stay going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad