Speculation: What do we do with with Lee and Eberle?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Team has too many holes to be considered a contender anytime soon. Team also has too many 4th line players tied to ugly long term contracts.

Holes:
-2nd and 3rd line centres
-a couple top 4 dmen
-Goalie

Besides Barzal, we don't have any legit centres in the system at all. As for top 4 D...we got Leddy, Pulock and a bunch of prospects- the youngest being the best of the bunch. Sorokin is in Russia so who knows.

Some trades will have to be made to address these holes. Team needs to get younger and faster. One or two of Lee/Bails/Ebs will need to be moved eventually.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Team has too many holes to be considered a contender anytime soon. Team also has too many 4th line players tied to ugly long term contracts.

Holes:
-2nd and 3rd line centres
-a couple top 4 dmen
-Goalie

Besides Barzal, we don't have any legit centres in the system at all. As for top 4 D...we got Leddy, Pulock and a bunch of prospects- the youngest being the best of the bunch. Sorokin is in Russia so who knows.

Some trades will have to be made to address these holes. Team needs to get younger and faster. One or two of Lee/Bails/Ebs will need to be moved eventually.
Listening to a recent podcast with Staple as the guest, it sounds like Lou & Trotz want to get a good look at Lee & Eberle on the ice and in the locker room before committing a big contract to either.

Bailey's $5m per is team friendly. Funny to see opposing fans act as of he is overpaid at $7m, when his contract is very team friendly. I would be surprised to see Bailey be the one moved.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Listening to a recent podcast with Staple as the guest, it sounds like Lou & Trotz want to get a good look at Lee & Eberle on the ice and in the locker room before committing a big contract to either.

Bailey's $5m per is team friendly. Funny to see opposing fans act as of he is overpaid at $7m, when his contract is very team friendly. I would be surprised to see Bailey be the one moved.

I think Lou an Trotz will have more than enough people in the organization besides Weight and Snow that can attest for Lee and Eberle in the locker room. Delaying contracts talks into the season will only likely increase the chances both will seek a team closer to a cup run through free agency especially if this team really struggles. When you have players who want to be part of the solution especially under the current conditions on the Island, you don't play games. I would expect they will gauge sooner than later where both are in contract expectations. It would also be in the Islanders best interest as well that both are put in a position to succeed to maximize their trade value if they have to move them at the deadline. Not having any contract talks with Neilsen until after the season certainly frosted Frans to a great degree.

Bailey's contract is extremely team friendly.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Lou an Trotz will have more than enough people in the organization besides Weight and Snow that can attest for Lee and Eberle in the locker room. Delaying contracts talks into the season will only likely increase the chances both will seek a team closer to a cup run through free agency especially if this team really struggles. When you have players who want to be part of the solution especially under the current conditions on the Island, you don't play games. I would expect they will gauge sooner than later where both are in contract expectations. It would also be in the Islanders best interest as well that both are put in a position to succeed to maximize their trade value if they have to move them at the deadline. Not having any contract talks with Neilsen until after the season certainly frosted Frans to a great degree.

Bailey's contract is extremely team friendly.

It's not playing games, it's evaluating the organization from top to bottom. Lou and Trotz should see for themselves what the team dynamic is on and off the ice. Lou has been on the job for like 2 months and so he's expected to make long term commitments to players because of second hand advice from the previous regime members that have likely little to no influence on the organization going forward? Come on.

Reactions: CREW99AW

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
It's not playing games, it's evaluating the organization from top to bottom. Lou and Trotz should see for themselves what the team dynamic is on and off the ice. Lou has been on the job for like 2 months and so he's expected to make long term commitments to players because of second hand advice from the previous regime members that have likely little to no influence on the organization going forward? Come on.

Do you really expect me to believe, Lou needs to see firsthand how Eberle or Lee carry themselves both on and off the ice to even to begin talking contract perimeters to gauge a number of important decision factors? This has nothing to do with signing an actual contract agreement. GM’s make million dollar decisions each day that don’t require an extended “get to know you period”. The wrap sheet available on professional athletes is quite detailed. Come on.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One was a 40 goal scorer, the other was a key part of among the best lines in the whole league. This really shouldn't be a difficult decision. But if Lou decides he doesn't want to pay one of them or even both he needs to shop them right away because if he waits for the deadline their value will have almost certainly decreased from right now. But if they go realize the team is in 100% total tank mode.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
One was a 40 goal scorer, the other was a key part of among the best lines in the whole league. This really shouldn't be a difficult decision. But if Lou decides he doesn't want to pay one of them or even both he needs to shop them right away because if he waits for the deadline their value will have almost certainly decreased from right now. But if they go realize the team is in 100% total tank mode.
Its also possible that they don't want to sign right now. At least not for the money the team may be offering. I think Eberle is a deal waiting to be had, personally. The team can probably ink him whenever they want. Past negotiations with Lee have proven a bit challenging though. Not that he's done anything wrong, but he's been an aggressive negotiator in his last two deals. I suspect that he would like to re-sign here but will also make sure he gets what he's worth.

Which he's perfectly entitled to. Maybe somewhere north of $6m, but a bit short of $7m AAV? Just a guess.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Correct. It's also a great way to figure it out if they want to be here. Maybe Lee/Eberle won't like the new coaches/management. This was one of the positives with JT leaving. We know have some options as opposed to "how can you trade and Eberle at the deadline when they are in the playoff hunt" and lose them for nothing.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
As I’ve said, I’d see how the season plays out before jumping to conclusions on either of them. If Lee continues his strong play, even w a slight drop in goals (likely), I re-sign Lee over Ebs.

If they are out of the PO race, maybe Ebs can net us an NHL ready prospect.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i would take both of them, for a decent price. neither of them gets more than $6 mil per, IMO.

yeah, we hear stories about players' character/personality, and it is quite easy to form opinions. but, i would understand if LL wants to see with his own two eyes, who these guys are.

maybe they see the setback/re-tool, and want out? maybe they want to see what LL can add, by mid-season? maybe LL can get a sweet deal for them? IDK. all i know is that for the first time in a long time, i am happy with management.

i was one of the guys that was hoping that they traded 'the kid who wore 91' prior to season's end. didn't seem like his heart was here, and too slow a skater. i got reemed, but i hate the idea of losing a valuable player for nothing. this is a hockey team, in the best league in the world, not a reality tv show, where popularity decides who goes and who stays.

Reactions: Top Corner and mm11

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Its also possible that they don't want to sign right now. At least not for the money the team may be offering. I think Eberle is a deal waiting to be had, personally. The team can probably ink him whenever they want. Past negotiations with Lee have proven a bit challenging though. Not that he's done anything wrong, but he's been an aggressive negotiator in his last two deals. I suspect that he would like to re-sign here but will also make sure he gets what he's worth.

Which he's perfectly entitled to. Maybe somewhere north of $6m, but a bit short of $7m AAV? Just a guess.

I agree with this. I think Eberle would be fine signing similar or a little bit more than what he's been making, whereas I think Lee knows a 40 goal season without Tr91tor may be a huge boon in his possible pay day. He's the unknown really, imo. Doesn't mean Eberle might not go the same route either, I just think it's less likely with him.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
i would take both of them, for a decent price. neither of them gets more than $6 mil per, IMO.

yeah, we hear stories about players' character/personality, and it is quite easy to form opinions. but, i would understand if LL wants to see with his own two eyes, who these guys are.

maybe they see the setback/re-tool, and want out? maybe they want to see what LL can add, by mid-season? maybe LL can get a sweet deal for them? IDK. all i know is that for the first time in a long time, i am happy with management.

i was one of the guys that was hoping that they traded 'the kid who wore 91' prior to season's end. didn't seem like his heart was here, and too slow a skater. i got reemed, but i hate the idea of losing a valuable player for nothing. this is a hockey team, in the best league in the world, not a reality tv show, where popularity decides who goes and who stays.
I don't think you get them then. Maybe Eberle signs on for the same cap hit but Lee is due a good raise. eberle already has had his pay day and he can continue making that bread knowing he has money in the bank and this time wants it to be in a spot he's comfortable with. If it's the Island there's a chance he goes for term and comfort. I think he likes it here and has a good spot on this team so I can see him going for 5.75-6.5 per year for 7 years to play with Barzal.

Lee on the other hand has made a cool 14 million or so in the show. I think he's going to want that Evander Kane money.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't think you get them then. Maybe Eberle signs on for the same cap hit but Lee is due a good raise. eberle already has had his pay day and he can continue making that bread knowing he has money in the bank and this time wants it to be in a spot he's comfortable with. If it's the Island there's a chance he goes for term and comfort. I think he likes it here and has a good spot on this team so I can see him going for 5.75-6.5 per year for 7 years to play with Barzal.

Lee on the other hand has made a cool 14 million or so in the show. I think he's going to want that Evander Kane money.

I didn't realize Kane was only 26 - he's had a lot of ups and downs in a relatively short period.

I'm hopeful we can get Lee for a wee bit under $7m. He has a lot to potentially lose if he plays this season out and falls well short of his former production. Rightly or wrongly, people will ascribe has past production to JT and be wary of giving him long term combined with big dollars. So, if the Islanders can get him for 6 years for between $6.5m - $7m, I would lock him up sooner rather than later. He brings a skill set that we don't otherwise have, is productive 5 x 5 and is essential on the PP.

Locking those guys up - along with having Bailey long term - still leaves open slots for younger guys to make the roster, which is obviously important. JHS, Bellows and Wahlstrom don't deserve to have a spot reserved for them but they do deserve the opportunity to audition for the roster. I think that's still possible even with Lee and Eberle locked up long term.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If your resigning Lee and Eberle I think you need to get a deal with Lee done first.

Reason being is if you sign Eberle to say 6.5 million per. Lee will want more based off the fact he scored 40 last year. To me signing Eberle first gives Lee a chance to drive up his own price more.

With that being said I think if I can get them both for around 6.5-7 million per year I do it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I didn't realize Kane was only 26 - he's had a lot of ups and downs in a relatively short period.

I'm hopeful we can get Lee for a wee bit under $7m. He has a lot to potentially lose if he plays this season out and falls well short of his former production. Rightly or wrongly, people will ascribe has past production to JT and be wary of giving him long term combined with big dollars. So, if the Islanders can get him for 6 years for between $6.5m - $7m, I would lock him up sooner rather than later. He brings a skill set that we don't otherwise have, is productive 5 x 5 and is essential on the PP.

Locking those guys up - along with having Bailey long term - still leaves open slots for younger guys to make the roster, which is obviously important. JHS, Bellows and Wahlstrom don't deserve to have a spot reserved for them but they do deserve the opportunity to audition for the roster. I think that's still possible even with Lee and Eberle locked up long term.
And down the line as they develop you might find out that we have traded Whalstrom for Sam Steel and it's a crazy deal and crazy productive for both teams. I don't want to not sign Eberle or Lee because Bellows and Whalstorm are in the ranks. Too much will ride on them hitting their potential. Let them hit their potential and then make a hard decision. Keeping talent right now with our cap is easy.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

well, $7 mil might be too generous, and i guess that LL might wait and see how Lee does without 91. Eberle, i can't see getting any raise, especially if it is long term. i just feel like Eberle's best years are behind him.

Lee seems like he is still trending upward, and might be had for a fair price, but again, i would wait and see how he performs without 91.

Kane got overpaid. we can compare Lee and Ebs to him, but we can also point out that Bailey got $5 mil.

i would argue that Lee and Ebs are equivalent in value to Bailey. if they don't like $6 mil over say, 6 years, then they get traded for picks. if they are truly worth $7 mil, as you imply, then we should get a nice return. i am all for bringing in Bellows and JHS and giving them lots of playing time. it will be rough for a bit, but i can see a pretty good top 6, in a few years.

2019/20

Beau-Barzy-Wahlstrom
Bellows-Kovar-JHS

factor in that we have lots of cap space, and a good year for UFAs (goalie, stud D), and i think we have the makings of a competitor in a few years.

p.s. - not referring to you specifically, but people were guessing that 91 would get close to $15/ yr.

Last edited:

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I am sure the Isles will be able to sign future UFA’s with similar stats to Eberle and Lee for 5-6 million.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Someone on the main board said Eberle reminded them of Ray Whitney. I thought that was interesting because that guy played for a lot of years.

Also, I was checking out Eberle's numbers, and 22 of his 25 goals were even strength (Lee had 14 PP goals, good for fourth best in the league, I didn't realize that).

Anyway, I don't think Eberle's ability to score relies on skating just like Lee's does not. He's a very good finisher who gets in position to score and can bury it.

Now, as far as re-signing him, I think a lot of it is going to do with Ho-Sang and what he shows this season. Bailey can slide down to 3RW at even strength and play on the top PP when Wahlstrom comes up, and you'll have a really solid three-zone player there. 5M per down the road is going to be high-end third line money, I'm not concerned about Bailey. That leaves the 2RW, which is going to come down to Ho-Sang or Eberle.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm sorry, but regardless of the plan(compete vs rebuild/retool) Lee needs to be re-signed. Rare skillset, leader, fan-favorite, 40 goal scorer. Still only 28 this year and will be productive by the time they are trying to compete even if they retool for 2 years. There is no reason to trade this guy unless a team offers something absolutely ridiculous, which I doubt they would for an impending UFA. Just get him locked up.

Honestly, I'd prefer to keep Eberle as well but I can understand not locking up both if we decide to "retool", and with Wahlstrom and JHS in the wings I can live with moving him - at least if there is a 1st+ on the table. Lee though? He's a much harder player to come by and we'll be wishing we had him when the time comes to actually TRY to win games.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If your resigning Lee and Eberle I think you need to get a deal with Lee done first.

Reason being is if you sign Eberle to say 6.5 million per. Lee will want more based off the fact he scored 40 last year. To me signing Eberle first gives Lee a chance to drive up his own price more.

With that being said I think if I can get them both for around 6.5-7 million per year I do it.

Yeah and I’m pretty sure Lee and his agent know that so while they’re probably not going to directly state it they’ll wait out as long as they can for them to sign Eberle or try to figure out if the team intends to before doing anything

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I would actually look to retain both of them TBH. Roughly 6 mil per

We really need to ditch Ladd and Clutterbuck

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Unless a truly beneficial deal comes along, you gotta go with Lee and Eberle now and then see what the season brings.

If both have good stats, then it'll be difficult getting either to sign for under 6 million per with tenure.

And again, what Evander Kane got in San Jose may blow open the market for LW contracts, so there's that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->