Speculation: What do we do with with Lee and Eberle?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Depending on what kind of plan the Isles want to proceed with this year. I can see Eberle being a valuable asset to a contender up against the cap. Let's just use The Pens for example. Isles can take a boatload of salary this year. If they do plus trade Eberle, they will surely get back prospects and a first rd pick say for Eberle and 2M retained. They can resign him as a FA if he truly liked the Island and the way the team is trending with youth and arena deal. What the Isles cannot do is let him go for free. As they learned this summer. Get assets and resign him. Best of both. Wait and see how season unfolds. Same applies to Lee. Asset mgt.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Depending on what kind of plan the Isles want to proceed with this year. I can see Eberle being a valuable asset to a contender up against the cap. Let's just use The Pens for example. Isles can take a boatload of salary this year. If they do plus trade Eberle, they will surely get back prospects and a first rd pick say for Eberle and 2M retained. They can resign him as a FA if he truly liked the Island and the way the team is trending with youth and arena deal. What the Isles cannot do is let him go for free. As they learned this summer. Get assets and resign him. Best of both. Wait and see how season unfolds. Same applies to Lee. Asset mgt.

I think I'm in the minority around here, but I think both Lee and Eberle need to be sold off for draft picks and young assets by the trade deadline. Losing Pajamas for nothing and the failed selections of Strome, Nino, Reinhart, and Dal Colle has really put the organization in a bind. Looking at this with no emotion, I think we need to commit to a rebuild to move past the mediocrity that has plagued this team for far too long. This team needs very badly to re-stock the talent cupboards if it's to become a true contender by the time Belmont is ready to go.

I love Lee and it will hurt to move him, but we need his roster spot, the cap space flexibility saved from not signing him, and extending his asset into a new shiny toys. There is a clear separation from the old guard group (Bailey, Lee, Nelson, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck) and the new guard spearheaded by Barzal and the other kids. I think it's disjointed and in order to turn this team into the fast and skilled team that Lou mentioned, the old needs to be replaced by the new.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think I'm in the minority around here, but I think both Lee and Eberle need to be sold off for draft picks and young assets by the trade deadline. Losing Pajamas for nothing and the failed selections of Strome, Nino, Reinhart, and Dal Colle has really put the organization in a bind. Looking at this with no emotion, I think we need to commit to a rebuild to move past the mediocrity that has plagued this team for far too long. This team needs very badly to re-stock the talent cupboards if it's to become a true contender by the time Belmont is ready to go.

I love Lee and it will hurt to move him, but we need his roster spot, the cap space flexibility saved from not signing him, and extending his asset into a new shiny toys. There is a clear separation from the old guard group (Bailey, Lee, Nelson, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck) and the new guard spearheaded by Barzal and the other kids. I think it's disjointed and in order to turn this team into the fast and skilled team that Lou mentioned, the old needs to be replaced by the new.

You are certainly not in the minority here PW. If this year is going to be pain. Then Lou and his staff need to set the direction soon and definitely before the deadline. There are slim pickings for free agents now. Players like Lee and Eberle(at 2 to 3M retained thanks to Pajama boy) are assets the Isles can use to their advantage this season. Lots of capspace.

Teams that need a scoring winger or 2 at a very modest cap hit will come calling. The Isles could have multiple first rd picks next year again. And then the future will look even brighter than what it is already.

Definitely things are looking up on the Island in 2 years time if Lamoriello learned from the Judas situation. Get assets and maybe resign one or both next summer.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
They can’t let both guys get to free agency.

I have no emotional attachment to Eberle, Wahlstrom is an adequate replacement in the pipeline.

Lee on the other hand is a homegrown, throwback player and no one in our prospect pool is going to play the game quite like him.

Here’s the twist - imagine the Isles are actually in a playoff spot at the deadline. Stranger things have happened ...

On the other hand, I wonder if Lee would be a good sport and would still be interested in resigning if we traded him to recoup assets. He seems like a guy who loves Long Island

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Lee is the harder to replace of the two, and the best in the league at what he does. Due to the Pajama Boy factor, he has yet to be recognized for his skills by the league. Sign him if he will take $7 million, for as long as he wants(I know he will not last 8 years at this level, but think we really want him for his next 5) without batting an eye.
I am sure the powers that be will realize that he is a winner and a leader.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Bad form, mate. Let dead things stay dead. Opinions and things change over time.

34757427-evolution-of-the-ice-hockey-player-.jpg

Reactions: nyisleslover

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Bad form, mate. Let dead things stay dead. Opinions and things change over time.
I disagree. I think it lends perspective, which everyone needs. As long as it's resurrected for that reason, and not just to say "ha, ha, look at what stupid comments Fred made", I think it's acceptable.

You could also look at the Leo, Flip, and Matty threads from last year as examples of some pretty negative thinking that turned out to be premature.

Reactions: Treebeard

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Personally I would love to trade Eberle but he signed a limited no trade clause deal.
Wouldn't mind sending Lee packing also if it means getting better overall talent or a more complete player.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'd be happy with 7/49

But as I've said many times, I worry about him hanging around the net with Pullock taking those hard shots.

Nicely done, sir.

That old guard handled themselves pretty well last season!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Personally I would love to trade Eberle but he signed a limited no trade clause deal.
Wouldn't mind sending Lee packing also if it means getting better overall talent or a more complete player.
Maybe we could get draft picks by trading everyone? You add to Eberle and Lee, you do not replace them.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Sign both. I want the quick transition.

I am, I think he pushes for more annually, JVR got 7 million

It would just be real unfortunate to lose them. Keep the talent!!

I don't think you get them then. Maybe Eberle signs on for the same cap hit but Lee is due a good raise. eberle already has had his pay day and he can continue making that bread knowing he has money in the bank and this time wants it to be in a spot he's comfortable with. If it's the Island there's a chance he goes for term and comfort. I think he likes it here and has a good spot on this team so I can see him going for 5.75-6.5 per year for 7 years to play with Barzal.

Lee on the other hand has made a cool 14 million or so in the show. I think he's going to want that Evander Kane money.

And down the line as they develop you might find out that we have traded Whalstrom for Sam Steel and it's a crazy deal and crazy productive for both teams. I don't want to not sign Eberle or Lee because Bellows and Whalstorm are in the ranks. Too much will ride on them hitting their potential. Let them hit their potential and then make a hard decision. Keeping talent right now with our cap is easy.

Good job Kev

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I mean we don't know what they will do in terms of production this year and Lee's value is at a all time high and Eberle (at the moment) is worth just about what he is getting now (maybe a slight raise) what would you do as of today?

Sign them both
Sign just Eberle
Sign just Lee
Trade them both.

I am worried about Lee's production maybe falling (should I be?) off a bit and teams seeing he as a "product of Tavares". I think I would trade him sooner than later. With that being said I really like Lee , I just don't think his return will get any higher and I just can't see us signing him for the term or money he will be looking for.

When it comes to Eberle, I just don't see it hurting us much to hold on to him til the deadline or possibly resigning him.

Thoughts?

Nice job me?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->