Speculation: What do we do with our hands (Jeff Petry)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Screenshot from 2021-02-02 13-37-09.png

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
He wanted 4.5 for 5 years in his last year here. That’s what MacT turned down.

But if MacT would have signed him longterm the offseason before instead of giving him the one year show me deal (which didn't make sense at the time anyways btw) then he could have signed Petry for $4M or less on a long term deal.

Here are the comparables who signed in 2013 or 2014:

Jakub Kindl - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Travis Hamonic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Carl Gunnarsson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jake Gardiner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Dmitry Kulikov - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Ryan Ellis - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: TheNumber4

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But if MacT would have signed him longterm the offseason before instead of giving him the one year show me deal (which didn't make sense at the time anyways btw) then he could have signed Petry for $4M or less on a long term deal.

Here are the comparables who signed in 2013 or 2014:

Jakub Kindl - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Travis Hamonic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Carl Gunnarsson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jake Gardiner - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Dmitry Kulikov - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Ryan Ellis - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The offseason before was when those negotiations were happening. Petry wanted 4.5 x 5 and MacT refused to go longer than 1 year.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I did not like Petry much during his time here except his last season with us. I sometimes wonder if we did sign him for term how he would have developed as he did.

Even disliking Petry that deal MacT made was a horrendous waste of a asset. We should have at least signed him to a couple to know what we had.

Flash forward to now and Holland has done damn near the same thing with Nurse but on top of that gave him a significant overpay to boot...

As stupid as MacT was Holland's signing of Nurse to 0 UFA years has the potential to be much much worse.

I'm shocked how much a pass Holland got for such a brutal brutal contract to Nurse.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The offseason before was when those negotiations were happening. Petry wanted 4.5 x 5 and MacT refused to go longer than 1 year.

So MacT signed him to a one year deal on July 8th, 2014 because Petry was asking for 4.5 x 5? He couldn't negotiate at all with Petry's camp? Comparatively Jake Gardiner who put up GP-81 G-10 A-21 as compared to Petry's GP-80 G-7 A-10 that same year (2013-14) and got a 4.05 x 5 deal signed on July 29th, 2014. MacT f***ed up plain and simple. It was an unforced error.

Petry should have been signed long term at a $4M or better AAV, maybe $4.5M if it's a longer deal like the one Hamonic got. If MacT holds firm what's the worst that's going to happen? Petry didn't file for salary arbitration the summer of 2014 so after he didn't file there was no leverage for Petry and MacT could have just sat firm and dragged things out to put pressure on Petry similar to what David Poile did with Ellis that same summer which eventually resulted in a team friendly long term deal. Instead MacT just gifts Petry a one year deal giving Petry all the power as a soon to be UFA the following summer. Just absolute asset mismanagement.

Reactions: voxel and MessierII

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So MacT signed him to a one year deal on July 8th, 2014 because Petry was asking for 4.5 x 5? He couldn't negotiate at all with Petry's camp? Comparatively Jake Gardiner who put up GP-81 G-10 A-21 as compared to Petry's GP-80 G-7 A-10 that same year (2013-14) and got a 4.05 x 5 deal signed on July 29th, 2014. MacT f***ed up plain and simple. It was an unforced error.

Petry should have been signed long term at a $4M or better AAV, maybe $4.5M if it's a longer deal like the one Hamonic got. If MacT holds firm what's the worst that's going to happen? Petry didn't file for salary arbitration the summer of 2014 so after he didn't file there was no leverage for Petry and MacT could have just sat firm and dragged things out to put pressure on Petry similar to what David Poile did with Ellis that same summer which eventually resulted in a team friendly long term deal. Instead MacT just gifts Petry a one year deal giving Petry all the power as a soon to be UFA the following summer. Just absolute asset mismanagement.

Am I wrong or was it just that Pete's wasn't in the new jultz hall fanclub?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's also fair to point out that Ty Smith was the nightmare draft scenario on HFOil if all of Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson were picked before 10th.
Personally I wanted smith in that scenario. I never understood why he was a tier below.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's also fair to point out that Ty Smith was the nightmare draft scenario on HFOil if all of Dahlin, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson were picked before 10th.
We had Klef so LHD wasn't a priority as much as someone like a Dman like Bouchard brings

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How many defensemen reach their potential at 30? He was such a weird case. Mismanaged and unappreciated here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Personally I wanted smith in that scenario. I never understood why he was a tier below.
I remember numerous posters freaking out that the Oilers would pick him because he was the good ol' Western Canadian boy. It was fueled by Stauffer pumping Smith's tires a few times before the 2018 draft.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How many defensemen reach their potential at 30? He was such a weird case. Mismanaged and unappreciated here.

Defensemen do generally take longer and have peak years plus or minus 30.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Is anyone actually arguing that MacT didn't f*** up the Petry contract? It was brutal and thankfully he was eventually canned.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Defensemen do generally take longer and have peak years plus or minus 30.
Yeah, it's interesting. Petry's job in Edmonton was pretty important, but he didn't really start shooting the puck until he turned 27. Once that started happening, it was only a matter of time before his offensive output exploded.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad