Speculation: What do we do with our hands (Jeff Petry)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I mean he was there for 59 of the games that season. I don’t think much changes.
A couple more Oilers wins and we could be TML's lotto spot and them at ours. I am not going to worry about any what ifs before McLotto.

Trading of Petry for last 20 games was part of the bigger plan.

PS.. Petry trade also got us Caleb jones and part of Talbot.

Reactions: Proko88

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Do we even win the McLotto if we didnt trade Petry?

Well the Oilers went 6-9-4 the rest of the way after the trade deadline and finished in 28th place with 62 points which was 6 points back of 27th place Toronto at 68 points. So if you think that having Petry in the lineup would have changed the Oilers record from 6-9-4 to say 10-7-2 then yes maybe the Oilers don't win the McDavid sweepstakes in that scenario. It's worth noting though that the Oilers were on a 60 point pace before the trade deadline that year, and on a 69 point pace after the trade deadline.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Defensemen do generally take longer and have peak years plus or minus 30.
They also need to be sheltered properly unlike what we have done to Petry, Smid, Jultz and to some degree Bear.
Hughes is feeling it in VAN this season without Markstrom and Tanev

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So MacT signed him to a one year deal on July 8th, 2014 because Petry was asking for 4.5 x 5? He couldn't negotiate at all with Petry's camp? Comparatively Jake Gardiner who put up GP-81 G-10 A-21 as compared to Petry's GP-80 G-7 A-10 that same year (2013-14) and got a 4.05 x 5 deal signed on July 29th, 2014. MacT f***ed up plain and simple. It was an unforced error.

Petry should have been signed long term at a $4M or better AAV, maybe $4.5M if it's a longer deal like the one Hamonic got. If MacT holds firm what's the worst that's going to happen? Petry didn't file for salary arbitration the summer of 2014 so after he didn't file there was no leverage for Petry and MacT could have just sat firm and dragged things out to put pressure on Petry similar to what David Poile did with Ellis that same summer which eventually resulted in a team friendly long term deal. Instead MacT just gifts Petry a one year deal giving Petry all the power as a soon to be UFA the following summer. Just absolute asset mismanagement.
I said from day 1 they shouldn't have even signed him and should've just traded him right then and there.

MacT goes out and publically challenges the guy yet making matters worse. And to add to that he had money for Nikitin, Fayne and was getting off about how great Schultz was going to be. Essentially making it look like he didn't care if we had Petry or not.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
A couple more Oilers wins and we could be TML's lotto spot and them at ours. I am not going to worry about any what ifs before McLotto.

Trading of Petry for last 20 games was part of the bigger plan.

PS.. Petry trade also got us Caleb jones and part of Talbot.
I feel like not having petry was also a big reason chia felt pressure to swing for the fences trading a 1st 2nd and hall to fill that hole.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well the Oilers went 6-9-4 the rest of the way after the trade deadline and finished in 28th place with 62 points which was 6 points back of 27th place Toronto at 68 points. So if you think that having Petry in the lineup would have changed the Oilers record from 6-9-4 to say 10-7-2 then yes maybe the Oilers don't win the McDavid sweepstakes in that scenario. It's worth noting though that the Oilers were on a 60 point pace before the trade deadline that year, and on a 69 point pace after the trade deadline.
So anything could really have happened. We could have finished below the Yotes or ahead of TML.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
so the lesson to be learnt from this is, KEEP NURSE

Unfortunately, exactly like MacT/Petry, our GM has walked him to UFA status and barring a hypothetical hand shake deal Nurse is very likely gone.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
I did not like Petry much during his time here except his last season with us. I sometimes wonder if we did sign him for term how he would have developed as he did.

Even disliking Petry that deal MacT made was a horrendous waste of a asset. We should have at least signed him to a couple to know what we had.

Flash forward to now and Holland has done damn near the same thing with Nurse but on top of that gave him a significant overpay to boot...

As stupid as MacT was Holland's signing of Nurse to 0 UFA years has the potential to be much much worse.

I'm shocked how much a pass Holland got for such a brutal brutal contract to Nurse.
Still early, but based on this season I'd say Nurse is more than earning that 5.6

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I feel like not having petry was also a big reason chia felt pressure to swing for the fences trading a 1st 2nd and hall to fill that hole.

Yeah, there's probably zero chance that Hall for Larsson happens if we had just kept the far superior player in Petry.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah, there's probably zero chance that Hall for Larsson happens if we had just kept the far superior player in Petry.
Even just those picks. They supposedly liked Eriksson-Ek who is killing it this year. Probably wouldn’t have taken Aho with the other one but who knows. Chiarelli was a pretty smart drafter.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
so the lesson to be learnt from this is, KEEP NURSE

The idea that this team is in any position to be shedding their few competent players outside of the big 2 (which seems somewhat prevalent on here) really is bizarre. The last 15 years should have made it clear that acquiring and holding on to talent is not easy in the NHL, especially for this franchise.

Reactions: KlefDown

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Still early, but based on this season I'd say Nurse is more than earning that 5.6

I actually agree with that sentiment currently but it must be said that at the time of the contract it was a significant overpay for a bridge type contract in general and especially for zero UFA years bought.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Maybe having the guy known for being the last player in the NHL to not wear a helmet wasn't the best person to make important decisions...

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Pronger :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I was living in Edmonton my whole life, but did not become a fan of the Oilers until we picked up the Pronger (who was my fav player). Now I'm cursed with this team for life

For context: i was born at the start of the 91 season. i am the curse
We wouldn't have got McDavid without you :thumbu:

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Jeff Petry to me is one of the worst trades in the past 15 years based on the lasting damages it had on the Oilers.

We had a solid #3 D who was doing very well on a putrid defense. But because he couldnt do all the lifting himself, and didnt hit as much as wed like, he was dealt for essentially nothing.

After that trade, we spent 5-6 years looking to replace this massive hole. I truly believe it was a major reason we traded for G. Reinhart in 2015, and when Reinhart came over and did nothing, it lead to us being so desperate as to trade Hall for Larsson.

I think last season is the first season we have actually been able to replace Petry. But it look how many years and how many failed attempts, in addition to having a weakened D core all those years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->