Speculation: What do we do with our hands (Jeff Petry)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It was 4.5 I remember distinctly. Could probably look it up. He ended up getting 5.5 from Montreal.
I thought it was $16M over four years. Either way, genius idea by MacTavish to sign your best defenseman into UFA and then trade him for cheap. I remember Eakins also scratched him a couple games into the season against the defending champs (Kings) so a really raw Nurse could make his NHL debut. Guess how that went.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
MacT after the Petry trade:

what a complete imbecile

He was comfortable moving forward in a rebuilding season with the best D he could cobble together off UFA and system players. He signed anything that moved on D and went on to draft Darnell Nurse with their top pick so I think its fair to assume he was aware that D was an area of need. I wouldn't normally defend MacT but the truth is many of the pillars of our team come from his decisions, impressive for a short tenure.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What a stupid thread. I mean what’s the point here? To whine about past trades? Fine. I’ll complain about the Messier trade.

Honestly, given that management fails ot leanr from past trades and appears to have a fish brain when it comes to forgetting about things that happened a year ago. I actually think bringing up past trades and discussing how damaging they are will (hopefully) prevent similar bad moves in the future. Hopefully management has some pulse to the heart of Oiler fans, and if there is enough people lamenting these type of bad trades, that will prevent them in the future

Bringing up bad moves is not about being a debbie downer, its recognizing we have similar pieces on the current Oilers, so why not try to learn from past mistakes.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
MacT after the Petry trade:

what a complete imbecile

One of the funniest things about that thread is all the you spelled Marincin wrong posts. This is when so many people seemed to feel Marincin was some kind of great prospect.

Stupid comments commenting on inept managers..

After watching Marancin play he was never even more than an afterthought.

Reactions: voxel

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He was comfortable moving forward in a rebuilding season with the best D he could cobble together off UFA and system players. He signed anything that moved on D and went on to draft Darnell Nurse with their top pick so I think its fair to assume he was aware that D was an area of need. I wouldn't normally defend MacT but the truth is many of the pillars of our team come from his decisions, impressive for a short tenure.
he thought Justin Schultz was a "Norris calibre" defenseman
he traded draft picks for Nikita Nikitin
he traded Jeff Petry for a song
he signed 2 duds in Ference and Fayne to bloated contracts

he started the 2014-15 with on NHL centerman on the roster (RNH)

he was a disaster despite a couple of good draft picks (and maybe 1 trade)

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
he thought Justin Schultz was a "Norris calibre" defenseman
he traded draft picks for Nikita Nikitin
he traded Jeff Petry for a song
he signed 2 duds in Ference and Fayne to bloated contracts

he started the 2014-15 with on NHL centerman on the roster (RNH)

he was a disaster despite a couple of good draft picks (and maybe 1 trade)

He inherited a team with NO NHL caliber defence under contract, except Petry who had a violent contract dispute and informed the team he would not re-sign BEFORE MacTavish arrived.

He signed THREE (the best available on the market that poor year unfortunately) and traded a FIFTH round pick for 1 who Scott Howson (who was the players GM) vouched for and was using as a top 4 D.

He had tons of money to spend and desperate situation on D, so he threw (short term) money at it in an attempt to improve it ASAP. Say what you want about Justin Schultz but he has more cups than any of the other D who have been through here in the modern era. He wasn't the answer for this slug of a team but he was a competent offensive defensemen.

What was he supposed to say after pulling out all the stops to plug the gaps in the roster on D (in a rebuilding non-competitive season) ? That it was an utter failure of plugs from the get go and they had no chance and might as well pack it in?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Honestly, given that management fails ot leanr from past trades and appears to have a fish brain when it comes to forgetting about things that happened a year ago. I actually think bringing up past trades and discussing how damaging they are will (hopefully) prevent similar bad moves in the future. Hopefully management has some pulse to the heart of Oiler fans, and if there is enough people lamenting these type of bad trades, that will prevent them in the future

Bringing up bad moves is not about being a debbie downer, its recognizing we have similar pieces on the current Oilers, so why not try to learn from past mistakes.
Do you live in some fantasy world where Oilers GM’s read and then act on what HFOiL posters say?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He inherited a team with NO NHL caliber defence under contract, except Petry who had a violent contract dispute and informed the team he would not re-sign BEFORE MacTavish arrived.
MacT inherited 2 NHL defenseman, Schultz and Petry...then traded one of them so the Oilers had 1 NHL defenseman left
did I mention he hired Eakins as coach? disaster #1

He signed THREE (the best available on the market that poor year unfortunately) and traded a FIFTH round pick for 1 who Scott Howson (who was the players GM) vouched for and was using as a top 4 D.
congratz on signing bad defenseman I guess?
"I tried!" isn't an excuse

He had tons of money to spend and desperate situation on D, so he threw (short term) money at it in an attempt to improve it ASAP.
which failed, that means he did a terrible job

Say what you want about Justin Schultz but he has more cups than any of the other D who have been through here in the modern era. He wasn't the answer for this slug of a team but he was a competent offensive defensemen.
Schultz was put in a position to succeed in Pittsburgh because they had good defenseman there that can cover for him
MacT assembled a garbage defense around Jultz

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
The Jeff Petry to me is one of the worst trades in the past 15 years based on the lasting damages it had on the Oilers.

We had a solid #3 D who was doing very well on a putrid defense. But because he couldnt do all the lifting himself, and didnt hit as much as wed like, he was dealt for essentially nothing.

After that trade, we spent 5-6 years looking to replace this massive hole. I truly believe it was a major reason we traded for G. Reinhart in 2015, and when Reinhart came over and did nothing, it lead to us being so desperate as to trade Hall for Larsson.

I think last season is the first season we have actually been able to replace Petry. But it look how many years and how many failed attempts, in addition to having a weakened D core all those years
It's the logic behind it that confuses me, and it's a line of reasoning I've seen a lot with Nurse. He isn't going to be a #1 defenseman, and since there's a bunch of defensive prospects that means we have good depth and can move on. The first part of it kills me, because even with a #1 you still need 3 other guys who can do heavy lifting in the top 4 so I can't fathom why you'd want to move on. The second part is just something we've seen going back to the HOPE days. They always seem to have a bunch of young guys coming so it's safe to move on from some proven players and it confuses the shit out of me because for almost 20 years it's been proven that simply having promising young prospects doesn't mean jack shit. It should never displace roster players until they've forced their way onto the team based on results and not potential.

You see it a lot all over HF. "We already have a bunch of (random position prospects) so we're set and we don't need more". Until those guys have actually proven over a large sample they can handle the minutes they're expected to, you aren't set. Every team always needs prospects at every position, I don't give a shit how many are already in a system.

Broberg is the best recent example. How much shit did Holland take because "we don't need more LD prospects". Then you look at all the bitching and moaning that's gone on over our terrible defense and all I can do is shake my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoop

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I love how Jeff Petry is playing this season. He's been good for the Habs from day one. Over his time with Montreal so far it's only been debatable if Petry was a true top pairing caliber player or elite second pairing. But this year he is something special to behold. If you already don't you need to start watching him to see what a real elite level defenseman looks like.

On the mains someone said he deserves Norris consideration this year. Absolutely he does. If I could pick any defenceman in the league to put a team over the top this season it would be Jeff Petry.

I hope you realize it's all a big joke. Too bad it's on us and it's a running gag. A multi-decade hoodwinking. Getting pantsed publicly year after year after year.

And some years you get pantsed, tacked to the ground and have your ass beat red with a wet noodle. That's your reward. Why would you expect anything different?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

He had tons of money to spend and desperate situation on D, so he threw (short term) money at it in an attempt to improve it ASAP. Say what you want about Justin Schultz but he has more cups than any of the other D who have been through here in the modern era. He wasn't the answer for this slug of a team but he was a competent offensive defensemen.

What was he supposed to say after pulling out all the stops to plug the gaps in the roster on D (in a rebuilding non-competitive season) ? That it was an utter failure of plugs from the get go and they had no chance and might as well pack it in?

He also chased Paul Holmgren around on the draft floor as it was reported they had a deal in place for Brayden Coburn for second round picks. Homer got cold feet and walked back the deal. Coburn would have been a great add at that time. It's forgotten how bad the Oiler defense was when Tambellini was canned.

MacT tried to little Dutch Boy plug holes while mitigating risk (more money, shorter term on Nikita and retreading Grebeshkov who they knew from past tour of duty). Won the lottery for Schultz and then drove him into the ditch. Key Learning for All Future NHL Rebuilds: draft defensemen early in the rebuild!!! Oilers are a blueprint for what not to do with a long line of smallish, finesse forwards.
Draft wise MacT did grab franchise cornerstones Nurse and Draisaitl so there were some big positives. But ultimately too much talk of boldness and then a hard splash of cold reality with some really big franchise missteps with Petry, signing the most overhyped coach of the modern era in Eakins, and largely spinning in place as the Dutch Boy defense strategy flopped epically.

I have a soft spot in my heart and head for MacT. The franchise dug its ditch with Mr. Dithers, Tambellini, but stayed in neutral when MacT received the reigns. Of course the wheels fell apart with Chiarelli's lunacy and voila here we are fifteen years later.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You mean the team regressing to be bad enough to draft 3rd and 1st and get Conor and Leon?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He also chased Paul Holmgren around on the draft floor as it was reported they had a deal in place for Brayden Coburn for second round picks. Homer got cold feet and walked back the deal. Coburn would have been a great add at that time. It's forgotten how bad the Oiler defense was when Tambellini was canned.

MacT tried to little Dutch Boy plug holes while mitigating risk (more money, shorter term on Nikita and retreading Grebeshkov who they knew from past tour of duty). Won the lottery for Schultz and then drove him into the ditch. Key Learning for All Future NHL Rebuilds: draft defensemen early in the rebuild!!! Oilers are a blueprint for what not to do with a long line of smallish, finesse forwards.
Draft wise MacT did grab franchise cornerstones Nurse and Draisaitl so there were some big positives. But ultimately too much talk of boldness and then a hard splash of cold reality with some really big franchise missteps with Petry, signing the most overhyped coach of the modern era in Eakins, and largely spinning in place as the Dutch Boy defense strategy flopped epically.

I have a soft spot in my heart and head for MacT. The franchise dug its ditch with Mr. Dithers, Tambellini, but stayed in neutral when MacT received the reigns. Of course the wheels fell apart with Chiarelli's lunacy and voila here we are fifteen years later.
Peter Chiarelli >>>>>> MacT

Reactions: Aerchon

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The Jeff Petry to me is one of the worst trades in the past 15 years based on the lasting damages it had on the Oilers.

We had a solid #3 D who was doing very well on a putrid defense. But because he couldnt do all the lifting himself, and didnt hit as much as wed like, he was dealt for essentially nothing.

After that trade, we spent 5-6 years looking to replace this massive hole. I truly believe it was a major reason we traded for G. Reinhart in 2015, and when Reinhart came over and did nothing, it lead to us being so desperate as to trade Hall for Larsson.

I think last season is the first season we have actually been able to replace Petry. But it look how many years and how many failed attempts, in addition to having a weakened D core all those years

An easy majority here ran Petry and Dubnyk out of town and were happy they were gone. I lipped them off as hard as I could but if team decisions were governed by HF consensus we’d have dumped both of em just the same. Scum running our best players out of town...

Reactions: MessierII

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Peter Chiarelli >>>>>> MacT

Meh. Anyone given a starting point of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Nurse and turns that into a team that was still drafting top ten when the axe fell is in pretty epic fail territory. Chiarelli's parting gift deals for press box Manning, turning Strome into Ryan Spooner. Running this team into the ditch after your first pick is Connor McDavid is other worldly incompetence.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Meh. Anyone given a starting point of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Nurse and turns that into a team that was still drafting top ten when the axe fell is in pretty epic fail territory. Chiarelli's parting gift deals for press box Manning, turning Strome into Ryan Spooner. Running this team into the ditch after your first pick is Connor McDavid is other worldly incompetence.
Chiarelli butchered every major trade here but he made some good small moves. Signed every big RFA (Klef, McDavid, Drai) to ridiculously good max term deals and he could actually identify real nhl D men and goaltenders. He could also draft nhl players outside of the top 10.

Even tambelini was better than MacT. The team actually improved under Tambelini every year once they committed to the rebuild. It was baby steps but it was improvement. The MacT era was rock bottom for me as an Oiler fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->