What do the Flames need most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The Flames don't need a goalie because they have a Wolf, so, they best be Dustin a place for him. Have you seen those K9's catch pucks? They don't miss.

I am being serious even if chewing on this a little premature but I'm positive he'll be the Alpha of the pack.

OMG I can't wait for game day threads when he plays!!!!!

Reactions: DirtDiver

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I still stand by that. McKinnon, Matthews and Eichel have done enough in the last 2 years to create separation but other than that there is little difference between Mony and the rest. The talent separation of a 4th line and the first line has never been narrower.

Come the playoffs and the game slows down allowing players like Looch to become major factors.

? Not on my chosen teams are the "separation between 1st & 4th line Centers narrower than ever".
Yes, agree for some, like Looch, the game seems to slow-down for them to "catch up" and actually have success. It is is on the "particular player", himself, to step up his game, creating this illusion of slowing down. The games are actually more intense. The exact opposite is seen in other end players, too.
Look at Johnny and Money, most playoffs. They become almost non-existant? Or prove very ineffective even if they are "noticed".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
sean monahan is one of the best triggermen in the show.
Looking at the list, using this point, a triggerman, look at Mark Scheifele. Only 6 less goals and 38 more assists, in 21 less games than games. Very few other markets deem Scheifele as a triggerman, yet these numbers show he is higher % goal scorer than Money by games played.
And, a triggerman rarely would have even equal number of assists as goals, never mind more ( as Money does- I never realized that before!). Yes Money's top attribute is as a goal scorer.
This is why, after several years with Flames attempting to reach the "holy grail of hockey" with Money as leading Centerman, I believe it is time 1) find a new top Center, and 2) either, move Money down to 2nd/ other line away ftom Johnny mostly; or make Money a Winger - my thought is on Right wing, off-hand for receiving passes and sniping shots at goal from angling in toward center, better angles, more net to find openings and getting rebounds off shots, but eirher side okay/ putting him on wing with new Centr and M Tk on other side. MTk is a play driver with other valuable tangibles, a freaking "rat in the other cooks' kitchens" with playmaking and scoring. You find another defensively sound and playmaker Center who can drive the play, control neutrals and entry zone pucks with Tkachuk and Money's finishing abilities, I think the Flames can be more successful again on there top line. If able to keep Johnny, or signing Taylor Hall, with Lindy and Backs, or Dube or Benny stepping up, you have a much more sound, winning potential top-6.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Sean Monahan
Brayden Schenn
Joe Pavelski
Jeff Carter
Steven Stamkos
Eric Staal
Patrick Marleau

None of these are centers who would be the best center on a legitimate championship contender. Maybe Stamkos, if he could score 60 goals again, but even then he's not the player he used to be back then. And no, Staal wasn't a better centre than Rod Brind'Amour in 06. That was just the year powerplays were inflated beyond belief and Staal benefitted immensely.

It's a consistent pattern for two reasons:

1) Because volume goal scorers will inevitably see some of their goals as so-called "GWG"s. That's how probability works. No one is denying that Monahan is a volume goal scorer. But his volume goal scoring, much like Stamkos and Carter on that list, is insufficient relative to his lack of a complete game. Just as Carter was at his best on Mike Richards' wing and Stamkos at his best (in terms of a deep playoff run) on Filpulla's wing, these are not ideal centremen, never mind number one centers.

2) Because Monahan's "sneak into open areas" style is more effective against defensively poor teams - teams that are easier to win against. It stands to reason that he would have more goals against bottom feeders - and thus more "GWG".

My contention is that three of those guys are wingers, and the other of those guys has four Selke trophies to add to four more top three finishes in Selke voting. So a metric that cannot differentiate wingers from centres is of no value in evaluating centres.

Ah yes, obscure stats like watching the game.

Um, the Flames have "won" nothing with Monahan as their number one center. They won one playoff series back in 2015 where Hartley coached circles around Desjardins, Brodie channelled his inner Scott Neidermayer, and Hiller stood on his head while Monahan's line was invisible until the final game. They've missed the playoffs in Monahan's first year, his third year, and his fifth year. They barely squeaked into the playoffs in Monahan's second year, his fourth year, and his seventh year. They finished tops in the conference once, when Monahan had as many "game winning goals" as NHL Superstar Garnet Hathaway, and then proceeded to lose in the first round. Monahan's never in his entire career been the most valuable center in a playoff series, and never will be. Heck, his current coach even seems to have figured out that he's better off using Monahan as a winger.

I missed that, seeing Monahan actually lined up as a winger and listed as on the wing for a full game , never mind a couple to a few in a row. I think it is what is needed, along with finding a viable Center replacement.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The Flames don't need a goalie because they have a Wolf, so, they best be Dustin a place for him. Have you seen those K9's catch pucks? They don't miss.

I am being serious even if chewing on this a little premature but I'm positive he'll be the Alpha of the pack.

Let's not get to the part where we lament about the silver lining. Because with a guy like Wolf, silver ain't a good thing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Askarov makes Wolf look like a F- level prospect in comparison. If Askarov is available, Flames definitely grab him. Also, let's sign Markstrom.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I love the Wolf, but Askarov is the next Vasilevsky/Shesterkin.

I like all 4 goalies, but you can't put Shesty in the same category as Vasy right now.
Man, is Russia rich in net though for a long time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad