What do the Flames need most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'm kind of stealing this from the main board, but also changing it just a little to provoke discussion.

First, in 2 words or less, state what our Calgary Flames need the most. Then expand on that and explain why that is your answer.

This is my answer:

Confidence

I feel the Flames addressed their biggest on-ice needs, but the one thing you can't trade for or sign as a FA is confidence. A few years ago, they had the confidence to come back and were the cardiac kids, then this past year it was the opposite and the moment a goal was scored against, the team folded like a cheap tent. While it is unrealistic to expect a bunch of 3rd period comebacks like a few years ago, they do need to have confidence that a single mistake won't sink them.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
I agree that they need more confidence but i’ll say they need to play with more heart. The only players that gived a damn when games got tough were Hamonic and Smith and that’s not enough to win those edgy games

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dependable goaltending. It can mask a lot of issues that a team has. It's why the team looked competitive in the standings for as long as it did. Without Mike Smith standing on his head for so long, the Isles would have had a top 7 pick. I feel like there's going to be a lot of growing pains and more frustration next season so he needs to continue his play or we are hooped

Reactions: Janks and No Draft

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Quality goaltending.

Mike Smith's contract ends at the end of this season and he'll be 37 and right now I don't have a lot of confidence that Rittich or Gillies will be able to step up and fill his shoes.
In order to go deep in the playoffs you need great goaltending. We may get that, with Smith, this year but what about next year and the years after?

Reactions: Janks and No Draft

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Strong Culture

The gut is one of the most important parts of the human body, let alone the digestive system. The Flames need a strong culture in order to properly digest food, rid the waste properly and bring that energy to the rest of the body. Without this strong culture the Flames could get diarrhea, fatigue, sickness, and suffer injuries faster. The Flames need a strong culture!

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Growth

My other word would be speed. I don’t think the Flames didn’t try hard last year. I think they played in a flawed system that didn’t utilize their players to their full potential. This season that should hopefully be different.

This season TJ is back on his right side he’s most comfortable playing. Dougie is gone and any so called attitude issues he had regarding his brother that were causing issues in the lockerroom. Brouwer is gone, along with his lack of skating and turning over the puck. We have 3 new RW/RHS’s.

With all of this, our players need to grow. Particularly Bennett, Lindholm, Czarnik, Jankowski, Hanifin and Brodie (and Frolik). These guys all need to take steps if the Flames are going to make the playoffs and they need to take huge steps if we’re going to be a contender.

I don’t know what it is, but I just have a feeling about next season. I really feel like the Flames have something here with Peters and I think they are going to have a special season, we are my pick to win the division.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'll agree with OP, but in different words:

Sack.

This team needs more sack in the worst of ways. Last year, watching this team which should have been a playoff shoo-in fall apart at any sign of adversity was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed as a sports fan.

A line-up that includes a top line that in mid-season was pacing 200 points, near 100 goals. A second line which had a guy pacing 60 points... the top goal scoring D in the league, along with a solid top 6D.

Even with the struggles of the bottom 6, the top 6 and top 6D should have been enough to carry the Flames into the playoffs. Instead, whenever they got bullied a bit, they lost, whenever something didn't go their way, they lost. I can't even count how many times we carried play for a period, ended 0-0, or somehow us down 0-1, 0-2.... then start the second the same, and a setback gives the opposite team all the breathing room in the world.

I do think the offseason additions will help in this. Lots of hunger to be in the lineup (which wasn't the case when we had the 10M 4th line), guys with some character (Hanifin and Neal)... Guys will be pushing others. I hated how last season it only seemed like Benny and Chucky seemed irritated over getting pumped.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Solid #1 goaltending.

Without that all the work this summer was for not

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Quality goaltending.

Mike Smith's contract ends at the end of this season and he'll be 37 and right now I don't have a lot of confidence that Rittich or Gillies will be able to step up and fill his shoes.
In order to go deep in the playoffs you need great goaltending. We may get that, with Smith, this year but what about next year and the years after?

Plus Mike Smith can play like shit....it's not new to him

It's critical for Gilies and Ritich stepping up this year.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
3 Key things for this year IMO:

1. Smith
2. Gio Brodie pair
3. Powerplay

If these 3 things are good, we should make the playoffs. Obviously some other things need to happen to get there, but for me these 3 things are KEY.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am not great at keeping things short so the two word answer is a tough one for me but I would say the two key things are improvement from youth and goaltending. Maybe those are too broad and likely apply to 90% of the league but I think those are the two areas that are the biggest question marks and that can swing the season either way.

I think they need a young guy to take a step. I think the most likely is Bennett going from ok 3rd liner to legit top 6 player. But seeing Jankowski be able to make that same jump (highly unlikely) or turning into a legit defensive center (again unlikely) would work as well. I think if Tkachuk could jump up to a 65-70 point top line level type guy that would be huge as well. I don't really trust any of the young guys taking that jump but Mangiapane or Dube turning into legit 3rd line guys would work in the same vein. I still have a lot of concern for our "third line" so one of those guys stepping up to improve that line and make it a legit threat or improving the "2nd line" enough that Backlund can move back and improve the "3rd line" make this team a contender.

Mike Smith was great to start and I think that masked a lot of meh play from him overall in the season. With his age and injury from last season I think there are real concerns about our goaltending next year. With more hope/potential behind him than proven ability I worry about the goaltending that we get. I don't think it has to be Vezina level but I do think top 10 if we want to contend for anything more than just making the play-offs.

Sorry for screwing up the two word format so to answer the OP question I guess would Youth Progression.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
This is one of my biggest concerns, hopefully we find out this season.
I don’t want to turn this into a Monahan thread but I never get this. The guy is over 30 or right around 30 goals for 4 seasons now. What more does he need to do. He’s the best center and most productive center we’ve had on the top line for some time. Why can’t we just be happy that he is our number 1 center and will be for some time

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This is one of my biggest concerns, hopefully we find out this season.

I don’t want to turn this into a Monahan thread but I never get this. The guy is over 30 or right around 30 goals for 4 seasons now. What more does he need to do. He’s the best center and most productive center we’ve had on the top line for some time. Why can’t we just be happy that he is our number 1 center and will be for some time

Other than Crosby and McDavid Monahan is every bit as good as the rest of the #1 centers. Because he is not flashy you guys think Calgary is hurt by his presence.

The flash is on his left side and Sean has done everything in his power to provide the things Johnny can't.

4 injuries that required surgery last year and he still put up a career high. The thought he is not a #1 C is delusional.

It is not a coincidence that as Sean's health declined so did the teams fortunes.

Ridiculous¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What do the Flames need?

More. Hype.

b9v8KoH.gif

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Solid long-term goaltending the team can get behind and quality coaching is all this team really needs. Oh, and Brodie has to be a solid #2 defenceman again if he’s going to be on our top pair with Gio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->