What do the Flames need most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
It's critical for Gilies and Ritich stepping up this year.

I agree with this. One of these guys doing the Hellebuyk would go a long way toward the Flames having a season like the Jets just did.

Mike Smith's age and cap hit can't be in the long or even mid term plans. Not having to resign him next off-season is ideal

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I agree goaltending/confidence are important.

But for me, it’s skill. We can’t be afraid to play better players because they are younger or less experienced.

Guys like Mangiapane/Czarnik/Janko should all be given time over guys like Lazar/Hathaway/etc.. scoring depth is so key in the modern game and we didn’t get enough of it.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Doesn't matter if Bennett turns into Getzlaf overnight. Without Smith's groin holding, this team isn't going anywhere. Unless one of Gillies/Rittich do a complete 180 from last season. Still would say a vet backup is our largest need. Even if others don't think it is and want to roll with our kids, there is no denying the risk built into our goaltending situation.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Bennett will take a step forward. Believe it when you see it.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Completely fine to have Gillies or Rittich as a backup to start the year.

Rittich was really good as a backup, but both he and Gillies struggled when thrown to the wolves as a duo.

You’re never going to develop goalies if you don’t let them play in the NHL.

Veteran backups can be had throughout the year. No need to grab one until Smith’s groin explodes (knock on wood) and we know Rittich/Gillies haven’t taken steps forward.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll agree thus far Bennett has displayed less "Hockey IQ" than Matt Lombardi, giving no whisper of better things to come. However, he will break out in this draft +5 season. I am the official daver of Sam Bennett.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Doesn't matter if Bennett turns into Getzlaf overnight. Without Smith's groin holding, this team isn't going anywhere. Unless one of Gillies/Rittich do a complete 180 from last season. Still would say a vet backup is our largest need. Even if others don't think it is and want to roll with our kids, there is no denying the risk built into our goaltending situation.

I don't think Lehtonen nor Mason will be signed anytime soon, meaning I hope we can give them a PTO at the very minimum.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
For management and coaching to be able to change the flames previous culture. No more handing jobs to veterans who dont deserve it when there is youth ready to go.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I find it wasteful to have made all these awesome off-season moves, only to have the same problem in net. If we were expected to be a bottom feeder, great, throw two young goalies into the spotlight. we cannot afford to lose games this season because Tre has to waffle over whether or not he should sign a vet backup 2 weeks after Smith is finally placed on IR and we've lost 7 in a row. This roster looks like a deep playoff team, the only issue is the uncertainty in net. The rest after that is up to the execution of the coaches and players, cause on paper, Tre has insured we are set...sans a reliable Smith replacement.

Reactions: Lazar Beams

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I doubt Treliving is satisfied with our current goaltending situation.

Unfortunately he needs another team to help us out - and we're starting to run low on tradeable assets. (well at least ones we want to part with)

I'd still move Stone for a lowly pick...honestly don't even care about the return as the cap space would be awesome and we have a viable replacement in Andersson.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I find it wasteful to have made all these awesome off-season moves, only to have the same problem in net. If we were expected to be a bottom feeder, great, throw two young goalies into the spotlight. we cannot afford to lose games this season because Tre has to waffle over whether or not he should sign a vet backup 2 weeks after Smith is finally placed on IR and we've lost 7 in a row. This roster looks like a deep playoff team, the only issue is the uncertainty in net. The rest after that is up to the execution of the coaches and players, cause on paper, Tre has insured we are set...sans a reliable Smith replacement.

I am confident in all three goalies. We didn't miss the playoffs last year because of goaltending. We missed because of a lack of scoring due to a braindead coach and too many penalties taken trying to play a chippy style. Our goalies - especially Rittich and Smith, individually won us more games than they lost us last year. The rest came down to the skaters. Even Gillies was a conpetent #3

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The only concern about goalies is if our starting goalie gets injured. Almost every team in the league would be concerned about that, though. There's a lot less uncertainty in net in Calgary than other places in the league.

Reactions: Walk with Elias

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I am confident in all three goalies. We didn't miss the playoffs last year because of goaltending. We missed because of a lack of scoring due to a braindead coach and too many penalties taken trying to play a chippy style. Our goalies - especially Rittich and Smith, individually won us more games than they lost us last year. The rest came down to the skaters. Even Gillies was a conpetent #3

This is just wrong. Gilles, and to a lesser extent, Rittich were horrible when Smith went down. Neither are competent starters at this point and Smith is high risk, we need a better backup if Smith is our #1.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The only concern about goalies is if our starting goalie gets injured. Almost every team in the league would be concerned about that, though. There's a lot less uncertainty in net in Calgary than other places in the league.

Well yes, I guess. But Smith is a massive injury risk.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett is gonna look great on someones wing this year.
If we decide to stack down the middle, Bennett-Lindholm could be a really promising pair. The only problem is that Peters is very anal about having a RHS on each line for faceoff purposes.

Idk something like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-???
Bennett-Lindholm-Czarnik
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The only way Gillies was a competent #3 was when he was playing in Stockton. He had awful #s in Calgary. I like Gillies as a goalie, but he's not close to being given meaningful minutes in the NHL yet. Rittich needs to grow as a backup, but neither should be trusted with being a starter this year if (when) Smith goes down.

Rittich only won us games while he was backup. Gillies didn't individually win us any games, in fact, his "one-gaff-a-game" put us in a hole more often than not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well yes, I guess. But Smith is a massive injury risk.
People keep parroting this, but the guy has still played 55+ games in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Maybe the injury issues have more to do with overuse than being injury prone. Rittich was good as a backup last year, he never struggled until he was asked to start every game. To me, it would make more sense to give Smith regular rest than worry about his durability.

Reactions: FlamerForLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad